Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ddr fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

60. PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko wrote:
I just remember how active things were back in 2003-2004. Even though all we had was Extreme, it was an awesome time to play. Sigh, I miss them times.

THANK YOU! I knew I wasn't the only one. In my area arcades used to always be packed with DDR players regardless of what day of the week it was; particularly a Namco arcade in a local mall. Even if you went on a Wednesday there would be at least 3 or 4 people at the DDR machine. On Saturdays it was almost too crowded and at one point the arcade had 5 DDR machines (yes, you read that right, 5 machines) lined up on the back wall; it was 3 Extremes, 1 5th Mix, and 1 Max 2. It was great.

Then I gave up for a while in early 2005 and didn't start playing again until early 2007. The arcade that had 5 DDR machines closed down in May 2008. It's depressing seeing how small the community has become since 2003-2004.
View users profile Send private message
Morganna Mode'Gone
Trick Member
Trick Member

61. PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have moved onto finger/hand-based rhythm games; As much as I like pushing myself to my physical limit, there comes a point where I just don't want to put out the energy just to exercise my mind. I mean sure, if I really wanted to put forth the effort I could build my stamina up and get ridiculous scores on ridiculous songs i.e. anything Dragonforce/All That Remains etc.. but I'd much rather push my mind much further than DDR/ITG can allow. Now I'm not saying that I don't play anymore; I'm still a fairly active member in the community, and I still have kept my skill at a very high level, but I would much rather play IIDX/Pop'n Music/DJ Max nowadays because I don't feel as if I'm going to puke out my lungs after doing something difficult hahaha. All in all, it basically boils down to this in my opinion:

DDR has gone to hell because Konami feels the need to sue every company making a music game, seeing as how they realize how terrible their products have become and are continuing to make them/care about them solely for the purpose of making more money, without any true reguard to actual playability and fun-factor.

ITG is perfect the way it is right now, except for the fact that once cabinets are gone.. they are gone for good. ITG3 would have been a major flop due to many different reasons(a topic on ITG Freak discussed all of the drama that occurred over this subject.. it may still be hiding somewhere but I will leave that up to you if you are that interested; it is a good read though not going to lie), and would have dragged the series down over time. R21 and hacked cabinets are the epitome of 4-panel dancing simulation games; allowing one to play virtually whatever they want whenever they want(granted nobody is in line before you lol). I love my machine and the community that surrounds it.. to an extent at least; but that's a different story >_>.

Now all we need is a new TechnoMotion mix with a brand new cabinet. Lol.
Trick Member
Trick Member

62. PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hajnal wrote:
I personally have moved onto finger/hand-based rhythm games; As much as I like pushing myself to my physical limit, there comes a point where I just don't want to put out the energy just to exercise my mind. I mean sure, if I really wanted to put forth the effort I could build my stamina up and get ridiculous scores on ridiculous songs i.e. anything Dragonforce/All That Remains etc.. but I'd much rather push my mind much further than DDR/ITG can allow. Now I'm not saying that I don't play anymore; I'm still a fairly active member in the community, and I still have kept my skill at a very high level, but I would much rather play IIDX/Pop'n Music/DJ Max nowadays because I don't feel as if I'm going to puke out my lungs after doing something difficult hahaha.
You know, I've been feeling like this lately, myself. Being sweaty is really uncomfortable and generally not worth the excitement of playing hard songs. I used to not mind being sweaty because I would play dancing games all day every day, but now I'll usually do something afterward while drenched in sweat, and that's no fun. Unlike you, though, I don't feel like other rhythm games can replace what DDR once was, so I'd rather not play anything at all.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

63. PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word...

iDance.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

64. PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

social life ninja supreme wrote:
Being sweaty is really uncomfortable and generally not worth the excitement of playing hard songs. I used to not mind being sweaty because I would play dancing games all day every day, but now I'll usually do something afterward while drenched in sweat, and that's no fun.

This is why I play on the pad only when I am ready to exercise or otherwise do not mind dirtying up my body (it is often one of the last activities in which I partake before I shower). Otherwise, I like to play using the hand controller. Remind me what we can do to preserve our dance games (how can we keep In The Groove alive when it is endanger of extinction with the eventual removal of the arcade machines?).

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Moonbeam Funk
Trick Member
Trick Member

65. PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing's anywhere near what it apparently used to be like, but there are revivals in bursts. I know in MD, everyone's excited for FFA, and I guess that provided some inspiration... Gay Goblin is playing again, as are Flashfire (he wants to AAA the game, finally) and Dawgbowl... I'm trying to AAA Extreme even though I'm far from it, just to maybe be the first girl in the US to do it. Every so often there are big tournaments. Monster had a $660, BUT I heard from friends like MaxxParanoia and NekoSempai that you used to be able to win thousands of dollars. So not like before. But people still play... FFA should have at least 70 people. Fun.

There are a few new-gen players, and I'm definitely one of them (pre-SN, but still), and we're definitely different. I play a lot of ITG at school, even though I don't like it a lot, and it has turned me into even more of a high-speed bar player. Like 3x 170. I know my friends used to have 1x tournaments even when speed mods existed, so I'm guessing this is new-school.

I'm really just trying to bring back some old-gen players. I don't think it will ever be the same, but there will pretty much be people willing to compete in tournaments for years. I know I'm probably going to be playing until I AAA Extreme, get really bored of Extreme, or all the Extremes disappear. :3

by far,
a humble heart
beats a full stomach
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

66. PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, what is the definition of a new generation player? September 2006 ws the first time I ever tried the game, and May 2006 was the first time I ever remember seeing it in action. What all have I missed? Should we focus on the new generation, or resparking the interest in older generations? All advice is greatly appreciated^^

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

67. PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:

I sincerely apologize for annoying/offending anyone with my nonsense. Self-pity was not my intention -- so I again apologize for any trouble I have caused as that is not my goal on this site. I did not mean to browbeat my point -- I guess I just get carried away:/

Hey man, no problems. I wasn't trying to get on your case either. Just try and not be so down on yourself. Trust me, although I've never seen you play, I bet you're better than the majority of people who step onto the machine in your area. So be proud of your l337 sk1LLz!

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
Should we focus on the new generation, or resparking the interest in older generations? All advice is greatly appreciated^^

Focusing on the older generation is a mute point. They all left the scene for one reason or another, and dragging someone back unwillingly into the community isn't what anybody wants. I think that the new-gen players should try out the old-gen stuff, just for the pure fun of it.

I started primarily on Max 2, but I sqeeee at the chance to play a 4th Mix plus or 5th Mix. Actually, any of the older games make me giddy. I don't know if new-gen players feel the same way, but I urge you to try and find a 5th mix or earlier and give it a go for an hour or so. If anything, it will make you appreciate (or perhaps not) how far the genre has come in 10 years.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Moonbeam Funk
Trick Member
Trick Member

68. PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new-gen and my one of my favorite mixes ever is 4th Plus. Others are 3rd Korean, 7th, and Extreme. If you started in 2006 you'd be considered new-gen probably. I "started" in 2005 but I didn't PA until late 2007... Definitely new gen.

There actually are some old-gen players who are willing to play again if there is some revival to the scene, or if they have taken off enough time to not be frustrated with the game anymore. I know a lot of people left because getting the last few AAAs is the most annoying thing ever. Sometimes when they take a while off and then come back, it's not as annoying. It's like how DDR never frustrates me because I only play it for half of the year, and the other half I'm at school playing ITG.

Suko where did you get that Recall signature?

by far,
a humble heart
beats a full stomach
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

69. PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonbeam Funk wrote:

Suko where did you get that Recall signature?

If you become a paying member it's one of the perks.

http://ddr.ddrecall.com/upgrade.php

pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

70. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not mind playing third, fourth, or fifth mix -- they have nice songs. I live in West Virginia and have played three locations in Kentucky (one was a Pump It Up location) and two in Ohio in addition to four locations (one of which is no longer present) in my current home state. SuperNOVA, In The Groove 2, EXTREME, In The Groove, SuperNOVA 2, Pump It Up Exceed (the machine also has labels for GX, but the song selection and interface is just like the Pump It Up Exceed I have for Playstation 2), and Pump It Up New Xenesis are the only arcade machines I have played so far. MAX is the oldest console game I own (oldest in release date, not the time I have in my possession -- I purchased it only a year ago). Yes, playing arcade machines has given me a reason to want to travel more E13.gif I know this is probably more appropriate in the arcade forum, but what factors increase or decrease the likelihood of the the removal of an arcade machine from a location? Is the key in preserving our beloved hobby ito focus more on arcades, console releases, both equally, or something else (StepMania maybe?)?

Edit: At the time of the post, I didn't realize GX is a type of arcade cabinet version, not a Pump It Up game mix blink.gif

www.stayonsync.com/forum

Last edited by pleasedon'thurtme on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total
Moonbeam Funk
Trick Member
Trick Member

71. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
I would not mind playing third, fourth, or fifth mix -- they have nice songs. I live in West Virginia and have played three locations in Kentucky (one was a Pump It Up location) and two in Ohio in addition to four locations (one of which is no longer present) in my current home state. SuperNOVA, In The Groove 2, EXTREME, In The Groove, SuperNOVA 2, Pump It Up Exceed (the machine also has labels for GX, but the song selection and interface is just like the Pump It Up Exceed I have for Playstation 2), and Pump It Up New Xenesis are the only arcade machines I have played so far. MAX is the oldest console game I own (oldest in release date, not the time I have in my possession -- I purchased it only a year ago). Yes, playing arcade machines has given me a reason to want to travel more E13.gif I know this is probably more appropriate in the arcade forum, but what factors increase or decrease the likelihood of the the removal of an arcade machine from a location? Is the key in preserving our beloved hobby ito focus more on arcades, console releases, both equally, or something else (StepMania maybe?)?

Well most of the DDR "scene" is arcade related. There are many home-version players, but like... Basically, I'm an arcade player, and if I go to my Facebook and search for any well-known DDR player, we will have many mutual friends. Competitive arcade players know each other from like, across the US, and travel to tournaments (or have, when it was big) and when it all comes down to it... I really think it's the only part of DDR that matters. BUT consoles are really important for getting people into the game. I would've never gotten to heavy just by playing arcade because I was too embarrassed to fail 7s when I was new to it. I got to heavy on a cruise ship where they had console hooked up.

To be honest I don't understand why any arcade owner would want a DDR machine. They hardly profit at all compared to, say, jackpot games, Stacker, and Deal Or No Deal, and most people hate the noise. When it all comes down to it you need to find arcade owners who might actually care about the game. I think the key is to get more people to see that DDR is a good game. Haha. I don't know how to do this though.

by far,
a humble heart
beats a full stomach
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

72. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have talked with many arcade owners regarding DDR and operating costs/profits/expectations. Almost universally they agree that DDR is one of their top 5 best-grossing games they own. This does not include redemption games, which make up 70-90% of an arcades business, but I was told that an arcade simply can't just have redemption games, they also need other games for the parents, siblings, or guardians to keep entertained with. Long story short, DDR has a staying profit power that is rarely seen with other arcade games, despite it's expensive price tag and semi-high maintenance costs.

And regarding DDR arcade vs home: pleasedon'thurtme is right. Many start (or at least get good) on the home version, but eventually many players desire the competition, challenge, camaraderie, and consistency of the DDR arcade experience. The vast majority of the serious players on this site and nationwide are all arcade players (myself included), and I don't see that changing. No matter how good of a home pad you get, it just can't beat playing on an arcade machine.

ranatalus
Trick Member
Trick Member

73. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as the drive for top-tier scores helped expand the tournament scene back in like, 03-04, it seems to have totally killed the freestyle/"let's just have fun" groups

SN being as lackluster as it was certainly made a lot of people feel like DDR has lost it (SN2 was a huge improvement but X seems to be veering off in some other direction)

those coupled with the other points mentioned ("hey i AAAd max 300" "i got that like 2 years ago, old") has made the "serious" group kind of dwindle down

there are likely more home version players than ever now, but we don't ever see them or hear about them, and the occasional one that wanders into the arcade is likely so intimidated either by the skill level of players or the fact that most good players (myself included) are kind of assholes doesn't help expand the community

it also seems like new players don't really do any sort of recruiting/word of mouth advertising. i remember when i first started playing in high school and OH MY GOD everyone i was friends with got to hear about it. a lot of my friends started playing, and my brother still plays (although not as serious as i am). most new players seem almost ashamed of the fact that they play dance games and hide it from friends/people they are dating

also andamiro seems to be doing a better job of reaching out to fans than konami does these days

this post was way too long
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Nathan.
Trick Member
Trick Member

74. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranatalus wrote:
as much as the drive for top-tier scores helped expand the tournament scene back in like, 03-04, it seems to have totally killed the freestyle/"let's just have fun" groups

SN being as lackluster as it was certainly made a lot of people feel like DDR has lost it (SN2 was a huge improvement but X seems to be veering off in some other direction)

those coupled with the other points mentioned ("hey i AAAd max 300" "i got that like 2 years ago, old") has made the "serious" group kind of dwindle down

there are likely more home version players than ever now, but we don't ever see them or hear about them, and the occasional one that wanders into the arcade is likely so intimidated either by the skill level of players or the fact that most good players (myself included) are kind of assholes doesn't help expand the community

it also seems like new players don't really do any sort of recruiting/word of mouth advertising. i remember when i first started playing in high school and OH MY GOD everyone i was friends with got to hear about it. a lot of my friends started playing, and my brother still plays (although not as serious as i am). most new players seem almost ashamed of the fact that they play dance games and hide it from friends/people they are dating

also andamiro seems to be doing a better job of reaching out to fans than konami does these days

this post is so true it hurts
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

75. PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranatalus wrote:

I have seen longer posts on this site -- some of which are mine I believe E4.gif

I play mostly at home mainly due to distance, but I enjoy arcades more. I do have something to report from my arcade visit today: some girls tried an In The Groove 2 machine. Of course, I did not see anyone outperform me, indicating the people I watched are not yet experienced with the game. Seeing this, I informed the first group of girls (two were on the machine and a few others were watching) that the default speed is 1.5 (something I did not realize myself when I first played today), and I tried to tell them how to change back to normal speed, eventually setting the options myself upon their request (they didn't want to play with speed modifiers as far as I could tell). Another group of girls (younger) inserted their coins (one got more coins when she read the message about inserting more to play two-player) and were apparently not familiar with the buttons (the first group weren't either as they asked me to set the options) and ended up selecting survival mode instead of dance mode because of the timer. That game was tough for them with the modifiers, and they showed no interest in trying again, even after I informed them that the normal game mode is not that bad. While I was playing, I heard one girl comment that she could never do that, or something like that.

This causes me to wonder whether it would have been better to post instructions on the machine since not everyone is familiar with all the controls, modifiers, and other features of the game. So, we have established at this point that the key to prolonging the arcade experience (I would really hate not to have access to an In The Groove 2 game ever again) and game as a whole is to get more people into the game in order to increase the number of players, eh? It seems it is important not to intimidate or discourage our newbie friends. So, what else do we need to take into consideration?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

76. PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on a 3rd Mix Version Korean 2 machine.

You new gen players NEED to give that a run through if you ever find one... just to see what it was like to learn on that.

I spent at least a year on a 5th mix machine before we got Max 2.

Speed mods were a new and fascinating thing for me... and being able to put arrows on solo... man... new players learn faster cause they are spoiled lmfao.
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

77. PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko wrote:
I No matter how good of a home pad you get, it just can't beat playing on an arcade machine.

Unless we are talking about ITG/2, in which the case can easily be made and/or substantiated.
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

78. PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, I think ITG is even worse on a home pad. Dedicabs rule, plus unless you have ITG PC, you can only play ITG1 at home, and you can't play custom songs. Home pads just suck.

Anyway, I was at an arcade the other day and there were like 6 people there just playing DDR for hours, probably 10 people at any given time playing/waiting to play (there are 3 machines). The machines aren't in great condition, so none of the players were very good, but it was a healthy showing of midrange DDR players. The scene isn't dead yet!
Trick Member
Trick Member

79. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthros wrote:

Anyway, I was at an arcade the other day and there were like 6 people there just playing DDR for hours, probably 10 people at any given time playing/waiting to play (there are 3 machines). The machines aren't in great condition, so none of the players were very good, but it was a healthy showing of midrange DDR players. The scene isn't dead yet!

Ahhhhhhhh, reminds me of my old gang back in 2003. Good times.

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: