Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ddr fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yarni
Trick Member
Trick Member

40. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko wrote:
Jesus Christ. This thread sure got hijacked.

Hey at least this time I'm sort of sticking to the original topic! E15.gif
View users profile Send private message
ʎɐb sı ʞ01ɹǝɥs
Trick Member
Trick Member

41. PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarni wrote:
YET ANOTHER LAME THREAD BUMP
Yarni
Trick Member
Trick Member

42. PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutesauce wrote:
Yarni wrote:

See, you're trolling me. Maybe go stalk someone else? Go to PureBlue's house and have more of that good ole buttsecks.
FSX
Trick Member
Trick Member

43. PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarni wrote:
mutesauce wrote:
Yarni wrote:

See, you're trolling me. Maybe go stalk someone else? Go to PureBlue's house and have more of that good ole buttsecks.
goog.gif nerd.gif biggrin.gif E13.gif E15.gif nerd.gif nerd.gif disgust.gif frown.gif erm.gif erm.gif devil.gif devil.gif E4.gif nerd.gif nerd.gif E15.gif E15.gif E13.gif E13.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif disturb.gif frust.gif frust.gif frust.gif
Discoman
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

44. PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeboy already got banned. I see the steady wave of people responding to his posts, and it's irritating. He's a douchebag, that's a given. He got banned for it.

Let it go.
tekkie
Trick Member
Trick Member

45. PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like ddr.

ddr is
drifting away
it's flying
ddr's gonna head for paradise
nothing to say
the twilight
ddr's gonna stay right here tonight
Trick Member
Trick Member

46. PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tekkie wrote:
i like ddr.

ddr is
drifting away
it's flying
ddr's gonna head for paradise
nothing to say
the twilight
ddr's gonna stay right here tonight

Drifffting awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy– oh, right, the thread...

I pretty much left DDR in the dust when ITG came along (not that I hated DDR, but it had been a while since anything new hit the scene). It was everything I ever wanted in a dancing game. I got into the competative aspect of it and got VERY good. ITG died for me with the Konami lawsuit/lack of ITG3; the songlist got repetitive and boring from there.

Supernova never caught my interest, Extreme is far too amazing of a game to be followed up by the disaster that is the Supernova series (there are attributes & songs I do appreciate, but as a whole I'm not a fan). I suppose this is just the beginning of a new generation of DDR that may lead to a worthy successor to Extreme once all the games Konami's shat out have produced enough good songs to compile into one good game.

I've recently gotten into Pump Pro. I've always been willing to play Pump as an alternative, but the fun of it seemed limited – a few fun no-bar songs, and a few arrows-everywhere challenges – all the rest mediocre. However, Pro is a beast of a game. The blend of ITG's stepchart ingenuity and song choice with Pump's pattern possibilities and slack timing window is very enticing. Not that timing a song well on Pump is flat-out easy, but the wider window allows for some stress relief when you're just trying to have fun with a song (my recent experiences revisiting ITG have been...stressful, due to the precision required to get a half-decent score).

This appreciation of a stress-less journey through a song comes from a somewhat recent indulgence in Dance Maniax. Through that game, I learned to let go of strict timing windows and just FEEL THE GROOVE. In time, I came to develop timing accuracy within fluent, attractive motions involving my whole body. I believe this is why I'm finding so much pleasure in Pump – the layout of its arrows allow for very fluent motion. 4-panel feels so rigid now.

I revisited Extreme the other day, upon craving Orion .78 (Civilization Mix) for no apparent reason. I had a lot of fun, and I'm going to play it again tomorrow to get in the half of the songlist I didn't this last visit. Some of my enjoyment of it was related to the adjusted perspective of these dancing games, some of it was a nostalgia factor; but for the most part, it was just very hard to be upset with the songlist, musically and chart-wise. It's been a long time since I've played through 8 solid games on any game, even Pro – and I STILL didn't play all the songs I wanted to.

Will I be able to play Extreme forever without getting bored? Of course not; but I think my remaining appreciation of it amongst all discussed factors speaks for what that game is that these other games are not: flawless.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
SynchroEnergy
Basic Member
Basic Member

47. PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I faded from DDR about 3 months ago and played Guitar Hero for sometime. Then after awhile it was way too easy for me. After three months I'm able to tap ttfaf and 4-star it. I needed something harder and something that actually made me burn calories and work at it. So I'm back on the pad now and playin Heavy/Oni, Thank god for DDR or else, well, idk..... I will never fade away from DDR no other Dance game can replace it. E1.gif
mb41186
Trick Member
Trick Member

48. PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ddr fading away Reply with quote

Blink_04 wrote:
it seems like it has, has anyone else kinda faded away from ddr?

it is, in my opinion.

I really don't see any new generations of players wanting to play the game.

and the older myself and my friends get the less we want to play the game.
Trick Member
Trick Member

49. PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I considered part of the new generation? I didn't even know about Dance Dance Revolution or any rhythm game before 2005, and I believe the first time I ever tried a rhythm game with the exception of Ape Escape 2 (Dance Monkey Dance! minigame) or Ape Escape Academy was when I tried Dance Dance Revolution September 2006. From November 2006 to October 2007, I played Dance Praise, so my Dance Dance Revolution history may date back only to late October 2007. The first time I ever tried In The Groove was the In The Groove 2 machine at Athena Grand at the end of this past July. These games are among my biggest hobbies and I am interested in keeping them alive (after the lawsuit, In The Groove arcades may be extinct by the time I can star expert songs).

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

50. PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
Am I considered part of the new generation? I didn't even know about Dance Dance Revolution or any rhythm game before 2005, and I believe the first time I ever tried a rhythm game with the exception of Ape Escape 2 (Dance Monkey Dance! minigame) or Ape Escape Academy was when I tried Dance Dance Revolution September 2006. From November 2006 to October 2007, I played Dance Praise, so my Dance Dance Revolution history may date back only to late October 2007. The first time I ever tried In The Groove was the In The Groove 2 machine at Athena Grand at the end of this past July. These games are among my biggest hobbies and I am interested in keeping them alive (after the lawsuit, In The Groove arcades may be extinct by the time I can star expert songs).

The vast majority of players who I saw get started on DDR or ITG got hooked, and then got really good, then got bored, all within the span of about 3 years.

You may not fit into this category since you're a regular visitor to this site, so I hope that this pattern doesn't hold true with you. There are few seriously players coming in to replace the large number of players leaving. In short, the attrition rate for dancing games is too high to maintain. We need reinforcements!

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
FSX
Trick Member
Trick Member

51. PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FujiFlame wrote:
I've recently gotten into Pump Pro. I've always been willing to play Pump as an alternative, but the fun of it seemed limited – a few fun no-bar songs, and a few arrows-everywhere challenges – all the rest mediocre. However, Pro is a beast of a game. The blend of ITG's stepchart ingenuity and song choice with Pump's pattern possibilities and slack timing window is very enticing.

This made me laugh.
THE CAPS LOCK on
Trick Member
Trick Member

52. PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR songs have become so hard that the steps break the machines faster so there are no working machine for the next generation. I haven’t posted in ages laugh.gif
social life ninja supreme
Trick Member
Trick Member

53. PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of us have grown up and have jobs or go to college, so we don't have the time to play like we used to, and new players get discouraged when they see how much better everyone else is compared to them. There also wasn't much else to see or do. Freestyle had its time, and then everyone got competitive, but that got old too. It just feels like everything has been done, so there's no reason to keep playing. I really hate to say this, but DDR was just a fad. It'll probably last a few more years, then we'll all move on to something else.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

54. PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

social life ninja supreme wrote:
A lot of us have grown up and have jobs or go to college, so we don't have the time to play like we used to, and new players get discouraged when they see how much better everyone else is compared to them.

^ this, especially the newer players seeing all the great players (I'm one of the not-so-great players) - it can be and is quite discouraging and sends many back home to their console and pad in their rooms!

Also, there's a definite lack, depending on your location and availability for transportation, of arcades with cabs - and cabs that are maintained.

I know for me, there's luckily 1 ITG cab very close by, but there's not a DDR cab I can get to. I don't drive and I'm not about to take a 2 hour bus ride to play DDR.
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

55. PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

social life ninja supreme wrote:
and new players get discouraged when they see how much better everyone else is compared to them.

It just feels like everything has been done, so there's no reason to keep playing.

I've been reading thru 10kcommotion again, which was written back when Extreme just came out and it's funny to see/hear what they thought of as "impressive accomplishments" back then.

Back in 2003, getting a AAA any 10 would've made you a DDR god, no questions about it. Your name would be known across the internet. Now a player who AAAs Max 300 will only have a few people say "nice job" and about 5 others saying how "I did that last year". It is incredibly depressing to see how high the bar has been raised. If I were a noob, I must confess that I would have no drive because I'd know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I will NEVER be the best, and probably can't even imagine coming close.

pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

56. PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko wrote:
I know that I will NEVER be the best

I am like that, but I accept the fact I am just worse than other people because someone has to be the worst, so there should be nothing wrong with that. I guess it is important for more experienced players not to intimidate or otherwise kill the desire to play of newbies or whatever term is most appropriate. I always try to give tips to less experienced players in hopes of actually contributing something helpful/useful. I like to play although I fear nowadays I am guilty of not focusing enough on just having fun due to my desire to achieve certain scores. What can we do to prolong our beloved rhythm games?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Kh4rm4g3dd0n
Trick Member
Trick Member

57. PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
Suko wrote:
I know that I will NEVER be the best

What can we do to prolong our beloved rhythm games?

Keep playing it E13.gif

/thread

Oh speaking from experience, don't give advice unless the player asks you for it. Or is at least saying something like 'man i just can't beat 10s yet etc etc'. A lot of people are hyper sensitive to that sort of thing and will get all defensive about it.

If anything I would say right now DDR is flourishing. After extreme there was nothing for years and now we have SN1, SN2 and X. Theres a pile of DDR games out for every home console and there are even DDR toys at Subway now. Maybe the scene is different than what you are used to but its always going to be changing.
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

58. PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
I am like that, but I accept the fact I am just worse than other people because someone has to be the worst, so there should be nothing wrong with that.

Ok, I've seen quite a few of your posts and they all seem to be full of self pitty. All I can say is stop it, alright? I'm sure the majority of us don't think you suck in the slightest bit. Hell, you're on here and talking with us, which means you're part of our community. Stop hating on yourself 'cause you're not god-like at this game. You seem like a nice guy and you enjoy playing the game, that should be enough, right? I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying to stop feeling so sorry for yourself. With such a pessimistic attitude, it will be difficult for you to get better. I've been playing for 7 years. It's a long, slow process to reach the top (and I'm not even there yet). So try and be a bit more optimistic about yourself ok? You're here, and you don't suck. Trust me, I've seen suck, and you sir are not it.

Kh4rm4g3dd0n wrote:

If anything I would say right now DDR is flourishing. After extreme there was nothing for years and now we have SN1, SN2 and X. Theres a pile of DDR games out for every home console and there are even DDR toys at Subway now. Maybe the scene is different than what you are used to but its always going to be changing.

Ya'know, that is rather insightful. Though a pile of crap is still a pile of crap. I wish Konami would listen more to the hardcore players or make a new line of games targeted towards us. I just remember how active things were back in 2003-2004. Even though all we had was Extreme, it was an awesome time to play. Sigh, I miss them times.

pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

59. PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kh4rm4g3dd0n wrote:
speaking from experience, don't give advice unless the player asks you for it. Or is at least saying something like 'man i just can't beat 10s yet etc etc'. A lot of people are hyper sensitive to that sort of thing and will get all defensive about it.

Actually, I can't pass 10's myself (on the pad). I was referring to people who can't pass light or even beginner songs. I always see people like that who have not learned to stay off the center, so I guess I am eager to give them some tips to avoid hindering themselves needlessly or something -- especially considering they lose money if they can't finish their games. But, I really appreciate the advice, so I shall need to keep that in mind next time.

I sincerely apologize for annoying/offending anyone with my nonsense. Self-pity was not my intention -- I just wanted to give people an idea of how far off from their level I am. I read somewhere that AAAing Max 300 (I assume on heavy) is considered not a big deal anymore, but it is absolutely lightyears beyond what I could possibly do -- I would be happy to make an A on Max 300, and would do well just to barely pass it (on the pad) at this point. I suppose I owe you Suko for alerting me to potential dangers, so I again apologize for any trouble I have caused as that is not my goal on this site. I did not mean to browbeat my point -- I guess I just get carried away:/

www.stayonsync.com/forum
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: