Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ddr fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

120. PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standards change, simple as that. Even during my DDR peak back in 2004 bar raping was still something people would laugh at, and since I was a super-paranoid 10 year old who cared too much about what other people thought at the time I never touched the bar. When I started playing again in 2007 I still didn't use the bar for the first few months until I realized that it helps and that people generally didn't care anymore.
View users profile Send private message
Russo`
Trick Member
Trick Member

121. PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not dieing/fading away.
I love this dancing to death. I'm striving to become the best, will I accomplish this? We will have to see. Be sure to watch out for my simfiles, videos, and posting new groovestats scores from day to day or something. I Will become the best.
E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

122. PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really fading away.

It's not as popular because Rockband and Guitar Hero are out (disturb.gif)

It's more of an underground movement as you might say. biggrin.gif

People are still making stepcharts and songs and such, I just don't keep up on it as much anymore.

Are there 15 difficulties out?
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

123. PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If reaching out to inexperienced players is the key (or at least a significant help) to reviving our beloved games, I have an idea: what if arcade machines cost only to more experienced players? Since inexperienced players are liable to fail on easy songs, what incentive would they have to waste their money on games they can't yet do well or play long? At the very least, we ought to have more events where arcade cabinets are set to free play for special occassions or something and/or a console version hooked up for play in a public setting. If hosting such events to spread awareness, answer questions, and provide advice, support, and anything helpful to the inexperienced would make a difference, how do we go about starting the revolution E4.gif ?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

124. PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
At the very least, we ought to have more events where arcade cabinets are set to free play for special occassions or something and/or a console version hooked up for play in a public setting. If hosting such events to spread awareness, answer questions, and provide advice, support, and anything helpful to the inexperienced would make a difference, how do we go about starting the revolution E4.gif ?

The only problem with that is the public perception of the game. For example, if you say to your friends "Hey, let's go chill at my house and play Guitar Hero/Rock Band", they'll probably be like "AWESOME! I LOVE THAT GAME!" whereas if you said "Hey, let's go chill at my house and play DDR" they'll most likely say "LOL FAG". Sure, back in 2004/2005 DDR was pretty well known and people would be happy to play it, but ever since Guitar Hero and Rock Band got popular it's now considered to be a "dumb gay game" for whatever reason. It's kinda like certain genres of music; bands like Limp Bizkit and Korn used to be hugely popular and they were considered the "cool thing" but now those kinds of bands are often laughed at and stuff like Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy are considered the "cool thing".
MyChemicalRomance
Trick Member
Trick Member

125. PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and stuff like Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy are considered the "cool thing".

Which is interesting, because stuff like Soulja Boy, Lil' Wayve Etc. makes me want to burn flowers and kill kittens.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

126. PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't know anything about the game until like 2005 or 2006. When I heard about it then, I thought it was just some game about dancing that wouldn't interest me, but seeing it in action showed me how wrong I was and I thought it looked interesting. I was wondering if we could spark interest in people who don't know much about the game, or lack confidence in their abilities to succeed at the game (I fear I may have scared some people from the game while playing at arcades before erm.gif ). I wonder if PureBlue's point is due to conformity to cultural norms and/or trends, and if so, what do we do to overcome such an obstacle? There must be some way to get some people interested in the game...

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
chennymountain
Trick Member
Trick Member

127. PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pureblue is right. Usually if you ask someone to play DDR with you they go "WTFLOL". But if you ask them "Hey let's go listen to T Payne and play Guitar Hero", they might agree. It's not that Guitar Hero has overpowered DDR, it just that DDR is out of style. It's like Good Charlotte and the PS1.

PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

128. PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
I wonder if PureBlue's point is due to conformity to cultural norms and/or trends, and if so, what do we do to overcome such an obstacle? There must be some way to get some people interested in the game...

Theoretically, if Konami decided to have it advertised everywhere they possibly can (billboards, Wal-Mart commercials, McDonald's commercials, Toys R Us commercials etc), feature it in a pop music video, feature it in a Saturday Night Live sketch, have DDR themed clothing (I've seen Guitar Hero themed underwear, pajama pants, shirts, hats etc) and basically just sell it out worse than Green Day, it could become popular.

But all of that would just show a lack of self-respect and make them look more money hungry than they already are.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

129. PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it seems such ideas would be more effective on people who are willing to play the game, but lack confidence in their ability to achieve what we have. I think some people think they can't do even what I can (I can't even pass 10's). I was just wondering whether people truly consider the game unappealing, or is such an attitude at least partially due to their belief/fear that the game is too difficult for them to play. Would Dance Dance Revolution have been more successful had Guitar Hero never even existed? What did Guitar Hero do that Dance Dance Revolution didn't? How do we increase the appeal to other people?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

130. PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the reason so many people play Guitar Hero is because of how commercialized it is. Retailers advertise it as a "fun and cool game for the entire family" (which is really far from the truth but whatever) and I've seen quite a few Guitar Hero TV commercials, while the most advertising DDR gets is the occasional ad in Game Informer or a weekly Best Buy catalog. If Guitar Hero did not exist, it would probably be a little bit more successful but it wouldn't have the mainstream popularity Guitar Hero has. Guitar Hero is also much easier to pick up and get good at, mainly because you're only using your hands and I'm sure most of today's teenagers already have good hand coordination due to obsessively playing Halo 3. But since DDR actually takes practice, most people wouldn't want to play it because OH NOES YOU'RE ACTUALLY NOT BEING LAZY AND GETTING OFF YOUR ASS AND BEING ACTIVE OH NOES!!!
8ftmetalhead
Trick Member
Trick Member

131. PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still new players joining the DDR community. I'm one of them. I went mental with the idea after a friend introduced me to stepmania and DS Supernova.
I then Dld'ed SM and promptly hunted down a decentish foam pad on trademe, and DS Fusion on Ebay. I was so irritated when my pad didn't work on the PC. (axis problem with converter)
Since then, I've bought a usb foam mat, built my own hardpad (there's a topic on here about it), hosted a tournament at my school, and I'm hoping that within the next 24 hours my DS Supernova 2 will arrive in the mail. (Again, ebay'ed for $80..... NZD....) and not too long ago I took my first go on an arcade machine.

I've also met a couple of other people at my school who play DDR, including a girl who's pretty good.

I have played guitar hero too, but while it is fun, I think its popularity stems from the fact that people want to be like those they idolise.
Unfortunately for DDR, there isn't a Green day-esque ddr group.
So you just get a massive lot of kids buying GH to try and be like the people in the videos.
Fortunately for me, I already play guitar, so GH is more than a little unnecessary.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

132. PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, playing Guitar Hero is different from playing a real guitar. I am relatively new to Dance Dance Revolution also -- I was introduced to the game in 2006, and I have learned a lot about it and other rhythm games since then (partially thanks to ddrfreak E13.gif ). I wonder if reviving freestyling would help. Instead of less experienced players losing interest in the game because they think they can never do what we can, would they be more interested in playing if they saw the awesome moves I've watched on youtube? I haven't seen much freestyling in real life, so maybe we should try it more out in public?

Edit: Re-reading some of the posts made me think of something: is Dance Dance Revolution not as popular in America because this is not its country of origin unlike Guitar Hero (I assume)? Typically, how successful is a product/series in another country?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

133. PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
would they be more interested in playing if they saw the awesome moves I've watched on youtube? I haven't seen much freestyling in real life, so maybe we should try it more out in public?

They would probably just say "LOL NO LIFE AT ALL" if they saw someone freestyling. Ironically, it seems like quite a few Guitar Hero players play GH more often than I play DDR but with the exception of iamchris4life I haven't seen anyone say a GH player has "no life"
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

134. PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureBlue wrote:

Ironically, it seems like quite a few Guitar Hero players play GH more often than I play DDR but with the exception of iamchris4life I haven't seen anyone say a GH player has "no life"

Ya'know, you're right. Now that I think about it, I have repeatedly heard people say this about DDR players, but not about GH players. Then again, I usually hear this against DDR players at arcades, which is a public venue, opposed to GH, which is usually very private.

But I think it's simply a matter of ability. Personally, I think that watching someone pass through the fire and flames on a plastic guitar does seem more obtainable to the average human than passing Max 300 on heavy. DDR requires much more time, ability, and an incredible amount of energy to be good at. GH just requires time, ability, and a few working fingers. You can become a GH master without moving anything but your wrists and hands. No matter how much they're moving, the level of energy needed to play GH is still drastically lower than that required by DDR.

And in summary, laziness is why DDR isn't as popular as GH. Sure, marketing would help out DDR a lot, but people are lazy, and asking a lot of people to get off their butts and play something like MaxX or HVAM isn't likely.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack

Last edited by Suko on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

135. PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that what they would think about anyone who triple-stars expert songs? I mean, I thought what I can do now was humanly impossible when I first got the game (I couldn't pass heavy songs using the Playstation controllerO_o). I actually have a friend who said that about people I said can do so much more than I can on the game. But has anyone commented that you have no life, PureBlue, or do those Guitar Hero players play more than someone who freestyles on Dance Dance Revolution?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

136. PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
But has anyone commented that you have no life, PureBlue, or do those Guitar Hero players play more than someone who freestyles on Dance Dance Revolution?

Both. On multiple occasions people have said to me "wow you must have no life" after I finish a song. I play DDR in the arcade probably no more than three times a week for usually around an hour and a half each time, and yet a lot of people who play Guitar Hero will sit at home hours on end playing the game without stopping on any day of the week.

Suko's right about the laziness thing: people generally prefer to take the easy way out and not have to do anything active at all.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

137. PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big of a factor is the laziness? Would an exercise fad or something help combat that? Also, are the attitudes PureBlue has mentioned generally universal, or do they vary significantly among regions?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

138. PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of course they vary. If you come from a college town like I did, you ironically get more assholes to criticize you, but there's also a larger pool of people willing to try out something new like DDR/ITG.

However, in contrast, I recently moved to Lynnwood, WA and the scene here is completely opposite. I rarely see any good players and most people just consider a player like myself some kind of dancing monkey sideshow that they're getting to watch for free.

Fads come and go. That's the way it is. DDR had it's heyday, and it was a blast, but short of some unexpected interest in DDR by the general populace, I don't think it will get that big again. However, I also don't see it dying out. There seems to be a steady stream of noobs coming to the scene every month. These forums aren't as active as they were in 2003, but that's to be expected when the average number of players is now probably half what it was then.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
chennymountain
Trick Member
Trick Member

139. PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko wrote:
GH is usually very private.

Not so much with the arcade release of GH.

I think that since GH and RB came out and dominated the music gaming industry, Konami has become scared that they will be completely overpowered by GH and RB. GH is doing nothing to help that ever since they released DJ Hero and soon Dance Hero. Aside from ITG and a few assorted failgames (Donkey Konga, Taiko Drum Master, Pappa Rappa, and that one urban dance game), Bemani has never had this kind of competition. And when you're scared and panicking, you start to make mistakes hence SN2 and DDRX.

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: