Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ddr fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Federline
Basic Member
Basic Member

100. PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR has failed because it doesn't have any of my awesome music. Bitch, I got 50 mil and a Yankees cap, I'm fuckin' gangsta and I can do whatever the fuck I want.

KEEPIN IT REAL, REAL GANGSTA
View users profile Send private message
Sonick92
Trick Member
Trick Member

101. PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Federline wrote:
DDR has failed because it doesn't have any of my awesome music. Bitch. I'm fuckin' gangsta and I can do whatever the fuck I want.

KEEPIN IT REAL, REAL GANGSTA

You fail because you didn't put any music in it. Even if you didn't want too, you have no reason to be posting.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
MasterWok
Trick Member
Trick Member

102. PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR can never compare to ITG - I played DDR for like a year and a half and quit. Since 2006 I've been playing ITG for 3 years. ITG lets you stay interactive with the game through custom songs, lets you be more creative with harder songs, mines, hands, and different notes (that often go with the music). Not to mention the pads on itg are so much better and itg has a better scoring system with a displayed percentage. Anyone who chooses ddr over itg is truly lost
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

103. PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterWok wrote:
Anyone who chooses ddr over itg is truly lost

I prefer ITG as well but I can't say I agree with this statement. Some people just like different aspects.
ccristop
Basic Member
Basic Member

104. PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ddr fading away Reply with quote

Blink_04 wrote:
it seems like it has, has anyone else kinda faded away from ddr?

for a while it did for me but that is not due to the game itself

i got married and had 2 jobs soo ddr had no time. blink.gif
but now i finally have enough time to get back into the groove of ddr! nerd.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email
digi162
Trick Member
Trick Member

105. PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how this instantly turned into an ITG vs. DDR debate on the first page.

I can agree with DDR fading away, and I want to throw in my two cents worth on the topic even though it won't really do anything but piss people off and quote debate me. I think DDR or just the whole dancing game genre itself has become to common place. It's not ground breaking or revolutionary anymore, so it's not going to gather the attention it did before. It doesn't matter what sort of gameplay tweaks are introduced, it just wouldn't be enough to push the series to a point where it'd gather the attention it previously did. So it creates the appearance of fading away to some degree. Plus with the increase in music game titles, it just feels like another notch in the now wider spectrum of the music game genre. Because we've seen some music games done to an impressive level, it's easy for others to look like shovelware if they can't out do another.

My major complaint is the community aspect. There are a ton of console releases, and with stepmania, you really don't have to go out to the arcade to play DDR anymore when you can just play it at home. The focus has really been drawn from the arcade experience to the home releases, which I think really doesn't help the genre. It does make it a little accessible but I think it's painfully agreeable that some of the recent DDR console releases haven't exactly been pleasing fans. Along the same lines, expensive cabinets prevent arcade owners from upgrading or getting the game, and some cabinets are just left in a crappy state you end up just playing the game at home because it's not worth it to go out. It's also hard to get people into the series when you invite friends to the arcade only to be greeted by some guy bar-raping Paranoia Hades with his shirt off, farmers tan, and he's drenching sweat all over the machine. Doesn't help either when you get on and they're making negative comments about your song selection or just anything in general to boost their ego. Visually that can turn people off from wanting to get into something IMO.

The dancing game genre is holding somewhat steady, but I think there's just a lot of things that need to be handled. Keeping things as is could probably see the genre fade out.
JC_Denton46
Trick Member
Trick Member

106. PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man the first few post in this thread where an all out flame war, but I'm glad I keep reading and found the rest of the thread to be quite a good conversation

DDR was my life from 99 to 04, and I was so young (Started at 10 years old)

I was lucky to grow with the game, because I started on 2nd Mix and basically "ended" my DDR run when Extreme was basically starting to get stale

I remember seeing a 4th Mix machine for the first time, so cool

But nothing beats when we got a MAX2 machine in the area...blew my mind since 4th Mix and 2nd Mix was all I had for awhile

Then Extreme's started popping up all over the place, the community started to get huge, the tournament scene, etc.

Man I remember back in the 2nd-7th Mix days I would ALWAYS get a crowd of atleast 3 people watching, and on really busy days up to 20

Sometimes random people would even give me credits to play, they felt like I was giving a show or something laugh.gif

But now, there's one machine within driving distance, it's a Supernova, and the crowd is just...lame

I get plenty of people watching me since the machine is set up right next to the bar/bowling alley so the people sitting there can't help but notice the guy jumping around the machine with flashing lights

But what I mean by lame is there is only one guy I've ever really met from playing and had a good time with, ONE (He's also the only guy I've met there who plays on Expert)

All these rest are either groups of 12 year old girls that just give me glares when I try to show them things like how to change the difficulty or ask when I'll be able to play, or random teenage scene kids who play on Light and leave the second I step foot on the machine

I think for some reason people assume I'm some douche bag just because I'm playing on Expert, like I'm a show off or something

It's definently a new generation, and it's not even a fourth of what it used to be

Also, to the guy who mention 10k Commotion...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I totally read that when it first started and kept checking every week for a new part biggrin.gif

I forgot the name, so thanks a ton for reminding me, I'm gonna have to go read it again now lol
MasterWok
Trick Member
Trick Member

107. PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVE101 wrote:
MasterWok wrote:

I prefer ITG as well but I can't say I agree with this statement. Some people just like different aspects.

I really think Konami was just pissed that Roxor made a better game than them lol. For people who are not as interested in spending a ton of time getting better, DDR can be better because it is easier to play (meaning experts in ddr don't compare to experts in itg). But for anyone who is into a lot of different kinds of music (especially if you're not a huge fan of japanese pop), really wants a challenge, and wants to get in shape, ITG is a much better game E15.gif
GERARDAMO
Trick Member
Trick Member

108. PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterWok wrote:
DAVE101 wrote:
MasterWok wrote:

I really think Konami was just pissed that Roxor made a better game than them lol. For people who are not as interested in spending a ton of time getting better, DDR can be better because it is easier to play (meaning experts in ddr don't compare to experts in itg). But for anyone who is into a lot of different kinds of music (especially if you're not a huge fan of japanese pop), really wants a challenge, and wants to get in shape, ITG is a much better game E15.gif
I'm not going to turn this into A DDR v. ITG debate, but there's a lot wrong with that entire paragraph. Firstly, DDR timing is a lot stricter than ITG. "DDR experts" would have far better timing than "ITG experts." And have you ever played DDR or do you just listen to the stereotypes about it? Since when has Duran Duran been considered Japanese pop? DDR has plenty more variety in terms of music than ITG does with generic techno.

But yeah, not going to go off on a tangent over an old topic.
Trick Member
Trick Member

109. PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About timing, I think he meant in terms of Perfect Attacking in Extreme, as there seems to be a lot less focus on Marvelous Attacking. The progressive difficulty is the best part about ITG in my opinion. It really helps you improve. Groove radars don't tell you much about the song, and it's much harder to find which 10 footer to attempt next.
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

110. PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back in '04 or '05 driving to my local arcade on a Saturday and having to share the machine with at least 6, and sometimes as many as 13 fellow players. I think back to how awesome those times were, but I'd admit that presently I'd want more time to play on the machine and would probably be a little agitated to see how long my wait between sets would be. laugh.gif

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
JC_Denton46
Trick Member
Trick Member

111. PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko wrote:
I remember back in '04 or '05 driving to my local arcade on a Saturday and having to share the machine with at least 6, and sometimes as many as 13 fellow players. I think back to how awesome those times were, but I'd admit that presently I'd want more time to play on the machine and would probably be a little agitated to see how long my wait between sets would be. laugh.gif

Yeah now that I think about it having the machine to myself is nice, I did get pretty agitated when that group of girls just kept swapping in and out, not giving me a chance to play

But last night was really cool, I met a guy there who is pretty good and was just randomly by to play, since he hadn't played in like 7 months

We played for about 2 hours, it was pretty cool

He said now he really wants to get back into it like he used to, he was getting really tired really fast because of the break he had

It'll be cool if he does get back into it E4.gif
des144
Trick Member
Trick Member

112. PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone mention yet that an entire US state (I forget which, I think it was Delaware) bought DDR setups for all 700+ schools. They added it to the official state physical education program thingy. So now every single public school in that state has DDR! It's finally starting to be recognized as a good way to exercise while having fun and it gets gamers off the couch.
And they just featured it on the WCG reality show on sci fi which basically means it's one of the major genres of games.
DDR is sort of like Myspace. This is pretty much how it went. DDR came out and it was a bit slow, then it picked up and became insanely popular all at once. Then it sort of leveled off so it looks like it's starting to die but really it's just not growing much anymore. But it leveled off at a huuuuuge amount of players. So just because it's not catching on madly like it used to doesn't mean it's "fading away." I think it's set up for another big boom with the whole WCG and school thing and everyone wanting to get in shape and move around. That's the whole reason the Wii got popular so all the Wii people are probably going to discover DDR and and make a big popularity boom again.
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

113. PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your observation of it "leveling off". However, to say it leveled off with the peak number of players is incorrect. The number of active people in our community was a lot bigger in '03-'06. While the genre or community isn't "dead" today, it's also not as big as it once was.

Fun way to validate this claim:

Check out the polls section on DDRfreak
http://www.ddrfreak.com/statistics.php

Just go to the earlier polls (the ones that would be considered the "golden years" of DDR). Usually you'd have somewhere around 1000 people casting votes.

If you scroll to the most recent polls at the top, the numbers are nearly 1/8 that.

I'm not claiming this is scientific, but it is interesting.

MasterWok
Trick Member
Trick Member

114. PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GERARDAMO wrote:
MasterWok wrote:
DAVE101 wrote:
MasterWok wrote:

I'm not going to turn this into A DDR v. ITG debate, but there's a lot wrong with that entire paragraph. Firstly, DDR timing is a lot stricter than ITG. "DDR experts" would have far better timing than "ITG experts." And have you ever played DDR or do you just listen to the stereotypes about it? Since when has Duran Duran been considered Japanese pop? DDR has plenty more variety in terms of music than ITG does with generic techno.

But yeah, not going to go off on a tangent over an old topic.

If you read my earlier posts, I said I played ddr for about 1-2 years. In the groove allows unlimited possibilities for songs with the addition of custom songs. And I was really talking about how many ddr machines don't even have marvelous, which would be the same as fantastic on ITG. Many "DDR experts" that I know cannot pass anything above an 11, the lack of difficulty of DDR honestly bores me to death. I hate having to stomp on pads for my steps to register. I would love to watch a "ddr pro" vs an "itg pro" on dokudenpa or emerald sword and see who has better timing E15.gif (just kidding)
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

115. PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterWok wrote:
Many "DDR experts" that I know cannot pass anything above an 11, the lack of difficulty of DDR honestly bores me to death.

Most ITG players I know can't AAA for sh*t on DDR, but who the hell cares.

Seriously, why can't people get over the whole ITG vs DDR debate like they (mostly) did with the Bar vs No Bar bullsh*t. If you like one vs the other, than play it. I love to play both and I will do so and be happy. I can own anyone I know at DDR, but it's a different story on ITG. For them the opposite is true. It's all a matter of what you play and enjoy more.

Can we please just keep this thread on topic? I enjoy hearing about everyone's experiences from the golden years, not people doggy about what game they thinks pwnz.

social life ninja supreme
Trick Member
Trick Member

116. PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, all the arguing about DDR vs. ITG is a big reason why those games have died in popularity over the years.
MasterWok
Trick Member
Trick Member

117. PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko wrote:
MasterWok wrote:
Many "DDR experts" that I know cannot pass anything above an 11, the lack of difficulty of DDR honestly bores me to death.

Most ITG players I know can't AAA for sh*t on DDR, but who the hell cares.

Seriously, why can't people get over the whole ITG vs DDR debate like they (mostly) did with the Bar vs No Bar bullsh*t. If you like one vs the other, than play it. I love to play both and I will do so and be happy. I can own anyone I know at DDR, but it's a different story on ITG. For them the opposite is true. It's all a matter of what you play and enjoy more.

Can we please just keep this thread on topic? I enjoy hearing about everyone's experiences from the golden years, not people doggy about what game they thinks pwnz.

Lol nobody asked you to argue with me. Sorry for crapping up thread, just voicing my opinion, not trying to start a flame war...
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

118. PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a story for you:

I started in a time when using the bar was BANNED lol.

From this, you can tell that I started on DDR a long time ago. This is what I learned from going from DDR to ITG.

1. In DDR, you need to step firmly to get perfects. To an ITG player, it would be looked at like "stomping".

2. Any song can be cleared "no bar" in DDR. The reason is that all songs in DDR are under 700 steps and under two minutes (they average about 1:40). In ITG, after level 9, you pretty much NEED the bar to do well (unless you are in awesome shape, or have really good no bar skills).

3. DDR was not built to go beyond level 10. It was barely built to go beyond level 9. ITG was built to go to level 12 (with some shakiness). The players overclock it (songs, programming, RAM, etc.) and there exists reasonable means to go up to 14 and have it make sense. Anything beyond that is almost entirely built on stamina.

I could cite more info, but this will do for now.
JC_Denton46
Trick Member
Trick Member

119. PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja N8 wrote:
Here's a story for you:

I started in a time when using the bar was BANNED lol.

From this, you can tell that I started on DDR a long time ago. This is what I learned from going from DDR to ITG.

1. In DDR, you need to step firmly to get perfects. To an ITG player, it would be looked at like "stomping".

2. Any song can be cleared "no bar" in DDR. The reason is that all songs in DDR are under 700 steps and under two minutes (they average about 1:40). In ITG, after level 9, you pretty much NEED the bar to do well (unless you are in awesome shape, or have really good no bar skills).

3. DDR was not built to go beyond level 10. It was barely built to go beyond level 9. ITG was built to go to level 12 (with some shakiness). The players overclock it (songs, programming, RAM, etc.) and there exists reasonable means to go up to 14 and have it make sense. Anything beyond that is almost entirely built on stamina.

I could cite more info, but this will do for now.

I basically grew up when using the bar was looked at with shame also

I actually remember that anytime we saw someone bar raping we wouldn't even respect that persons score, because it was seen as a handicap and "not in the spirit of the game"

But now on the most difficult songs you're seen as beyond godly if you could do them no bar
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: