Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Playing in drag/intolerant managers kicking us out (Video!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crono
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Playing in drag/intolerant managers kicking us out (Video!) Reply with quote

The video really speaks for itself.

I'm the guy behind the camera, and the guy cross-dressing is one of my friends. This was originally meant to be a video response to a (female) friend of ours playing in a skirt, but the fact that the managers overreacted over it made it so much better.
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the rules are in Canada regarding business practice, but in the US, people can reserve the right to refuse service to anyone they please (even if it does seem discriminatory).

The sad thing though is that your friend wasn't doing anything wrong. I have a problem with how the management handled that situation, and if I lived closer, I would want a word with them. Since I don't know what your rights are there though, I can't establish if you have a case against them.
View users profile Send private message
Crono
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that it is actually legal to refuse someone service at a business, because, say, they are black, is it? That would seem very strange.

In Canada we have a constitution of rights and freedoms that would probably protect these sorts of rights, however the way that it applies is more towards legislation than citizens and businesses on an individual basis. Though, we do have laws against hate crimes/inciting hate in Canada, which tend to make things a little more strict than in the US, but I don't think this would at all qualify as anything under hate crimes. (Hate crimes would be something like if you said "I think all the Jews should die" or something like that, you have to be trying to incite people to hate a group of people, so I don't really think this is anywhere in that jurisdiction.)

Still, there is a less official court that matters perhaps even more to most people: the court of public opinion.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N8, I was thinking that too, but I'm almost positive that a business can't refuse service to someone based on, say, race. Like Crono mentioned, it does seem odd (because I do distinctly remember the rule you described). I'm not a lawyer (especially not one of Canadian law) so I can't say if it was legal for the management to throw you out. What I can say is that is certainly was not right.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that you don't notice if you're watching the video unless you really look is that Jed (the guy playing) actually took the skirt off and "unrolled up" his shorts. (These were normal shorts like he normally wears everywhere, not underwear or boxers) He also unravelled his shirt, so, basically whatever they had originally threatened had already been accounted for, but, basically because their egos (or something else?) were at stake, they just decided to ignore that and kick us out anyway. (As you see in the video "for discriminating against them"...talk about the pot calling the kettle black.)
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too long ago, people were refused service (it was implied because of their race).

It still happens nowadays, but it falls under a more subtle guise.
Crono
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of this, and I'm not sure if you really could catch it on the video, but it's that I actually basically got them to admit what the reason was for kicking us out, so, if it's not under a subtle guise and they actually admit the reasoning, there might be some recourse.

Not that I really care that much - not only do I not live in that city, but, since their ITG 2 machine used to be the closest, it is no longer because our local arcade bought it from them. laugh.gif (I feel sorry for the other local players though, because they also lost their OTHER ITG 2 machine and got a crappy SN instead)
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm outraged that this has happened to a decent ITG player who had done nothing wrong or immoral. Kicking someone out only for crossdressing, to me, is no more justifiable than kicking someone out because they're gay or even black. A man dressed in an unusual manner, as long as he's not committing indecent exposure (which this guy wasn't) should be welcomed with the same open arms to play that a normally dressed man would get.
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary N8 wrote:

Business owners are still bound by laws and regulations, and in America at least/don't know about Canada, we have particularly clear ones that restrict the "right to refuse service" based on gender, religion, race, political view, etc. Although not absolute, it is in my opinion pretty substantial. Since it was not "trashy" by any reasonable stretch of the imagination, I hope that appearance, in this instance, could arguably fall in this clause.

I am no lawyer mind you, I just do a shitload of reading.
Slowpoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary N8 wrote:
Not too long ago, people were refused service (it was implied because of their race).

If you're thinking of Denny's, they ended up getting the crap sued out of them...
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this at JZee's?? I can't see the video...

Unfortunately, like in the 60s, now it's OK to discriminate gays.
Well, they changed it a bit..
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ǝɥʇʎɔs
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da-RiSiN-sMoKe wrote:
Was this at JZee's?? I can't see the video...

Unfortunately, like in the 60s, now it's OK to discriminate gays.
Well, they changed it a bit..

As I recall, most cross-dressers are actually heterosexual. I'm not so sure of that, but I definitely heard it somewhere.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowpoke wrote:
Legendary N8 wrote:

If you're thinking of Denny's, they ended up getting the crap sued out of them...

It happens in more places than just Denny's. Just imagine how many go unreported.
Crono
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened at Avalon in Nanaimo. (A theatre dealie) JZees actually bought that same machine, so now we have it anyway. (We used to have to travel to Nanaimo to play ITG since that was the closest location)

And yes, I think I heard the same thing about cross-dressers being mostly heterosexual as well. As far as the indecent exposure possibility, I've seen girls dress a lot more trashy than that and get away with it. (As I said in the video, if anything that same manager would probably encourage, at least within his own mind...though of course that's just speculation...he could just be ultra-conservative all-round.)

I'd like to see this video circulated around just because of how...it's crazy. Hopefully more people see it soon.
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't applying anyone was gay; sorry for the misunderstanding.
frown.gif

I don't know why I posted anywayz.
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da-RiSiN-sMoKe wrote:
applying gay; sorry frown.gif

Slowpoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary N8 wrote:
It happens in more places than just Denny's. Just imagine how many go unreported.

Probably less than you think, since the Denny's lawsuits clued people in that getting-refused-service = big-bucks.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowpoke wrote:
Legendary N8 wrote:

Probably less than you think, since the Denny's lawsuits clued people in that getting-refused-service = big-bucks.

You assume that people possess universal, instantaneous knowledge.

If that were the case, places like Utah wouldn't exist.
Slowpoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary N8 wrote:
You assume that people possess universal, instantaneous knowledge.

No, I assume that people can't escape current events. I'm not knocking you personally, since this was huge news before your time; but you're way off-base thinking that this is some kind of obscure and arcane knowledge. It was impossible to turn on the TV and not become aware of it, whether you were watching the news, late night talk shows, or any black comic doing stand-up.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowpoke wrote:
this was huge news before your time; but you're way off-base thinking that this is some kind of obscure and arcane knowledge. It was impossible to turn on the TV and not become aware of it, whether you were watching the news, late night talk shows, or any black comic doing stand-up.

Ok.

I'll make this as succinct as possible:

Do you know my age? I mean, if you say it was "before my time", you must assume that I am of a certain age. I'm going to make an educated guess here and figure sine the lawsuit you are talking about happened in 1994, you must figure that I was born after 1990. Is that your conclusion? I am rather intrigued with this response... I want to know what age you actually think I am.

Don't play a game of extremes - I didn't say that it was arcane or obscure, I said that people don't possess instantaneous, universal knowledge - meaning that unless you tell me that 300 million people are aware of this event, then it clearly was possible for someone to not know that it occurred. Even if there was knowledge of it (universally), you assume that everyone will react the same way - that being that they will not be racist in a public facility (and have it directly relate to the lawsuit).

This is where you are mistaken...
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: