Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Making a DDR Wiki for the site
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Making a DDR Wiki for the site Reply with quote

I was wondering if the mods ever decided about making a DDR Wiki. As I recall from Sept. 19th,
Phrekwenci wrote:
As for updates to the data. The staff have been talking about what to do about this. We feel one of the better solutions may be a wiki, but we are still in discussion.
I was wondering if the mods/admin. could start it up & the members of DDR Freak (only Trick Members, though, so spammers who sign up can't mess it up) could add to it. I feel the best example of a Bemani game Wiki is VJ Army's Beatmania/Pop'n Music Wiki. The DDR info on Wikipedia right now focuses more on the series itself rather than each individual game in the series.
View users profile Send private message
videoCWK
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds good to me. We should definitely do this.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, if enough info is contributed by a member, they could have their status of Trick changed to Contributor. Also, I think we could also include the step chart (just normal charts. No Left, Right, etc.) for each diff., but by having a link to them to save space on the page.

I feel I could add alot of info to this. & I think I could get CyricZ, creator of most of the DDR FAQs on GameFAQs (excluding Ultramix 4, Universe, & any future X360 DDR games) on the bandwagon. He has a ton of info that could contribute to the Wiki.
Flameboat
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a preview for you guys.

Zonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I suggest:

A.) Only the Trick Members should be allowed, as mentioned before.

B.) The edits should be checked by the Mods &/or Admin. They could assign a different mod to a different section i.e some could have CS & others would have AC.

I'm trying to think of a system that'll both work with the mods & keep the annoying spammers from ruining the DDR Wiki. They're the ones who'll make the Wiki. We, the members, are only adding to it.
梅雨
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd enjoy helping and contributing. E1.gif

Anything in particular I can do at the moment?
This sounds awesome! xD

現在の固定観念 | HETEROCHROMIA

現在の固定観念 | NOBODY KNOWS/スガ シカオ
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, we already have stuff up to Extreme as for songlists, stepcharts, etc. Mainly, I think the hardest parts are gonna be:

A.) Finding info about the songs from older mixes that don't appear anymore & for the "nobody knows anything about this" songs

B.) Explaining the whole SN2 e-A thing going on & having to keep updating that

Also, I sent a e-mail to CyricZ about HMM Double for SN2 & when he replies, I'll tell him about this. I just remember that I should've asked him.

11/11 - CyricZ has given me permission to use his info for the wiki in a e-mail:
CyricZ wrote:
Well, I don't know if I really want to do the FAQs twice, if you follow. :-P

Certainly, though, you can use the info in my FAQs for reference. happy.gif
This means we have tons of info for songs.
Zonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been 20 days, mods/admin. Have you guys given any thought about this? Just about everything that I can think of has already been said in the above posts. Perhaps we could ask the people from VJ Army who did the IIDX & Pop'n Wiki if they could help us out since, as said before, there's is the best example. As I said, CyricZ has given me permission to borrow his info from his FAQs, so we have just about every US CS version of DDR covered, excluding UM3, UM4, & Universe, plus the AC version of Supernova & maybe SN2 when it comes out in the US.
HumanBeing
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a good idea to me but I think simply restricting updating of the wiki to trick members isn't going far enough.

Perhaps there could initially be a set of trusted users (everyone with a user status higher than trick) who are given posting access permission on the wiki.

They, in turn, could be allowed to "voice" other members, and it would be shown which current wiki-poster voiced whom, so if there was a problem, the voice could be taken back and if someone consistently voiced problem people, his/her voice on the wiki could be taken away.

So in this way, everyone with a higher than trick status is initially voiced. Anyone who is voiced has the ability to voice anyone else (but it is recorded who did so, so abuse can be traced back).

I don't know if it's too much trouble though.
Zonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree, I wanna remind everyone that the only stats higher than Trick are Maniac (forums moderators), Vivid (who brings the DDR Freak founders & workers Bemani games), & Konami Staff. As for Contributor, you still have the same foot icon, but you could earn this stat by contributing enough info, perhaps. So what you're saying is, the edit would go to said above people (or perhaps PM'd?), then they'd check it, & if they trusted a member who contributed enough actual info, then they'd get voiced also?

However, like I said, we could have some of the mods checking the edits. Also, I wanna add that they can't have a warning point.
­Laundry
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys aren't assuming good faith! erm.gif erm.gif
HumanBeing
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct.

On something with a much larger audience, such as Wikipedia, there are enough people that vandalism is usually corrected by those in-the-know.

On a more specific wiki, as this proposal is for, I do not know if there would be enough dedicated in-the-know people to correct every wiki-vandal.

Certainly there are the in-the-know people but I don't know that the same people would want to constantly police the wiki, whereas wikipedia has a significantly-larger reach and, thus, more people to fix bad entries.
Zonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind (I'm always keeping track of DDR-related stuff. Plus CyricZ on GameFAQs has tons of facts that I learn from him). Maybe we can have a new Stat for people who help out with the DDR Wiki.

As with the VJ Army Wiki, I think it should be something like ddrfreak.com/wiki, instead of just a DDR Portal like many stuff on Wikipedia.

My biggest concern is to figure out how to keep the spammers away while finding enough people who'll actually wanna take care of it. I'm betting the mods/admins have enough on their hands now. Perhaps to add on with the editting requirements, you'd have to be a member for over a year & take a little "How well do you know DDR?" quiz. Kinda like what the mods did with that "What does DDR stand for?" when you sign up.
Discoman
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

13. PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoniku wrote:
It's been 20 days, mods/admin. Have you guys given any thought about this?

It is being discussed right now.

Sorry for the brief response, but I just wanted to let you know that we're not ignoring this by any means.
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually not in favor of this.

For one thing, Wikis (especially specialized ones) are notorious for either a stiflingly restrictive code, or one so loose that every article turns into an RV battle.

For another thing, there really isn't a whole lot to know about the games OR the site. We already have song lists and machine locations, modifiers are self-explanatory, and even the lingo used by people can be explained with ease. Really, a wiki is just unnecessary.

And just who is the target audience for this wiki, anyway? People that play DDR. But people that play DDR to the point where they want to read about or discuss it... well, they go HERE to read about and discuss it. So, really, if we made a wiki, we'd just be talking to ourselves, telling each other stuff we all already know.

And video game-based wikis don't offer a whole lot in the way of leeway for articles. I mean, you're either going to be talking about gameplay mechanics or mindless trivia. It might work for Bulbapedia (...*cough*... riii-iiight), but not for what is for all intents and purposes the grown-up version of Spider Stomp. You step on arrows, you get score. Do we really need anything further than that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that people couldn't use information on this game. But that's what THIS site is for. Making a wiki for what is almost the same purpose is both inefficient and redundant.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Zonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discoman wrote:
Zoniku wrote:
It's been 20 days, mods/admin. Have you guys given any thought about this?

It is being discussed right now.

Sorry for the brief response, but I just wanted to let you know that we're not ignoring this by any means.
Thank you for letting us know that you've taken this into consideration.

I'm hoping the Wiki will help reduce questions like "Which song has *so & so*?" & stuff that's common knowledge. Perhaps include stuff like "where's the best place to get an AC/CS/pads?" & "which is the best DDR to start with?". Maybe even include videos of the Heavy/Expert charts. Basically, consider it a combo of CyricZ's DDR FAQs on GameFAQs & the VJ Army Wiki (which, like I've said many times, would be the model/inspiration).

You've also made a Level 10 Guide on GameFAQs, Orion. I think you could help contribute to it.
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, my level 10 guide was pure crap, and I've been seriously considering asking CJayC to get rid of it. It's incredibly outdated and has a LOT of views that are incredibly archaic that I don't wish to be associated with.

Really, though, the vast majority of what could be covered in the wiki is already covered in our forum guides and FAQs. So instead of telling random newbies to read those, we'd just be telling them to read the wiki instead. As I said, there are two ways I could see a wiki being useful. The first is if it could convey information not otherwise available. The second is if it could convey the information more easily or expediently than the current methods. I don't really believe either of these are the case. I'm not saying I'm going to fight a DDR wiki tooth and nail, I'm just saying it doesn't seem necessary.

Having said that, I would be happy to help with any form of guide, FAQ, or wiki this site devises, and I'm honored that you would ask me.

Edit: Holy freaking crap! I actually managed to revive my 7-year-old GameFAQs account somehow! I haven't even SEEN that thing since 2004! Wow.
HumanBeing
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0rion wrote:
As I said, there are two ways I could see a wiki being useful. The first is if it could convey information not otherwise available. The second is if it could convey the information more easily or expediently than the current methods.

It is exactly the second reason that I see here. Instead of random information being scattered throughout the boards in random places, and thereby only the most useful to forum regulars who frequent the place, it could be better organized in a wiki.

Also, I really wouldn't call the trivia mindless unless you think that all trivia is mindless and that there is no good trivia. I do not hold that view. I think trivia can just be a little something extra to consider, like the cherry on top, figuratively.

There are so many things which can be discussed as well:
Song background
Artist background
Variants of songs/Different versions
Differences in gameplay among various setups
Styles of play
Expert tips
Advanced techniques
How to get a tournament started
How to gather local interest in the game
Maintenance
Glitches/Bugs
Easter Eggs
Acronyms (and what they mean)
Status songs (beat x song and you are considered a good player)
Pad details/comparisons
How to deal with bothersome people while playing DDR

I'm sure other people can think of many more things.

I think the board is more for discussion of the game/questions/etc and the wiki serve more as a solidification of what is generally agreed-upon.
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBeing wrote:
It is exactly the second reason that I see here. Instead of random information being scattered throughout the boards in random places, and thereby only the most useful to forum regulars who frequent the place, it could be better organized in a wiki.

There's nothing random about where the information is being placed. Every bit of information has a proper section.

Quote:
Also, I really wouldn't call the trivia mindless unless you think that all trivia is mindless and that there is no good trivia. I do not hold that view. I think trivia can just be a little something extra to consider, like the cherry on top, figuratively.

Trivia is part of the etymology of the word "trivial." It's information that isn't directly pertinent or useful for something.

Quote:
Song background

Hmmm... okay, tell me the background behind Pink Dinosaur.

Quote:
Artist background

Wikipedia already has this in many cases.

Quote:
Variants of songs/Different versions

Covered in songlists.

Quote:
Differences in gameplay among various setups

Wait, what?

Quote:
Styles of play

This is incredibly POV, something that is almost universally regarded as a no-no in wikis.

Quote:
Expert tips

Do you know what experts say when people ask them for advice here? They say the one and only thing that people need to hear: practice. Don't believe me? Take a look at the gameplay board sometime. People don't need "tips" on how to get better. Whether they get better or not depends on them.

Quote:
How to get a tournament started

This is for a guide, not a wiki. And it's not exactly rocket science anyway.

Quote:
How to gather local interest in the game

Umm...

Quote:
Acronyms (and what they mean)

Glossary, not wiki.

Quote:
Status songs (beat x song and you are considered a good player)

PO-f'n-V. And everyone knows you're not "Good" unless you can pass Butterfly on Light.

Quote:
Pad details/comparisons

POV, and is much more easily conveyed on this message board for many reasons.

Quote:
How to deal with bothersome people while playing DDR

You're... you're joking, right?

This isn't what a wiki is for. Most of the stuff you've suggested is either hearsay, opinion, trivia, or a combination of those things. The few things that aren't one of those things are covered more thoroughly and completely in the various guides and boards associated with it.
sherl0k
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

19. PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wiki.bemaniso.ws/index.php/Category:Dance_Dance_Revolution

It's amazing what can be done by a few people and a few hours of spare time.

[quote:ed1f6848c5=\\\"jaeness\\\"]get your change from obama, he apparently has tons of it.[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: