Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

New DDR Idea

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam411
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: New DDR Idea Reply with quote

Critics of DDR always say, "DDR needs to be revolutionized" and things along that line.

I have a new idea that may help DDR but bear with me. It's only an idea E1.gif

This New DDR could have a total of maybe... 90 songs! :o (It's been done before) 70 entirely new songs to DDR ( 35 of which are KO's and other 35 are licensed) and the other 20 songs Old DDR songs that have appeared in older mixes and haven't really reappeared in more of the newer mixes again.

The "Quest" Mode, is where things get creative. While at first, this may sound like the Ultramix/Universe type of mode, It's different.

You CREATE your own character ahd he becomes your identity throughout the whole Mode. The Mode will work where you CONTROL your character. You can make him move around and do whatever you'd like with a controller. He will be placed in a fictional city (Lets just call it, Dancetopia)

Inside the city, you (as said earlier) can do whatever you'd like. Inside the city, you can complete quests (inolving somethng by dancing) which can make you unlock a song, earn money, extras, characters, and make you earn a certain artifact or item which you can use to help you enter a blocked area or something where another song is hidden. (The hidden songs are usually harder step charts)

This is the part many of you will have a hard time to grasp... At the very BEGINNING of the game, there will be NO SPEED MODS or any type of Mods! That is where money comes in. You can use the money you gained to buy speed mods or anything else at the cities' shop. It makes the game a tad harder and have more replay value.

There will also be a ferry in the city where you can travel to RetroIsland. This place has all information and trivia about the older DDR Mixes and a shop where you can buy the older songs. All the songs are the same price.

Side Quests can also be invovled to get Characters, Extras, (like videos of DDR Tournaments or a video of the making of DDR: (insert mix here). Also, once you buy an older song, you can go on another side quest to unlock an all new Step Chart for it! That way, when playing that older song, you'll have two stepcharts to now choose from.

Obviously, The regular modes will be inside the game and you can also have mini games to play. (Off the top of my head, you can have a mini game where you and 3 other CPU's are standing on a pillar or something, and you must step the correct pattern or else your pillar will decrease. Over time, the patterns get harder and faster)

THIS IS JUST AN IDEA. Tell me what you think of it, And put your own suggestions if you like E1.gif
View users profile Send private message
HumanBeing
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely hate the shop aspect of many of the more recent DDR games. When I "unlock" something I don't want to have to tediously gather enough points/credits before I can actually unlock it.

Also, I think that any song which is an automatic unlock after so many plays should just automatically never be locked from the start.

That leaves only skill-based unlocks, and those should unlock immediately after completing the "skill" (even if the "skill" is as easy as complete this one course in light mode, unlock a particular song. But it will be harder as the game progresses) instead of becoming available in shop and forcing you to tediously get enough points/credits before you then can actually unlock it.

And there should always be some master unlock code or something, for people who don't want to fool with the unlock system.
Sam411
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBeing wrote:
I absolutely hate the shop aspect of many of the more recent DDR games. When I "unlock" something I don't want to have to tediously gather enough points/credits before I can actually unlock it.

Also, I think that any song which is an automatic unlock after so many plays should just automatically never be locked from the start.

That leaves only skill-based unlocks, and those should unlock immediately after completing the "skill" (even if the "skill" is as easy as complete this one course in light mode, unlock a particular song. But it will be harder as the game progresses) instead of becoming available in shop and forcing you to tediously get enough points/credits before you then can actually unlock it.

And there should always be some master unlock code or something, for people who don't want to fool with the unlock system.

Nono you got it wrong! After you unlock the song, You have it right away. You don't need to buy it in the shop. That's only for the retro songs or any other extra things.

Yes I hate that too with new KO'S. Which is why I meant to have the song right away even after you beat it's quest.
HumanBeing
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as long as you don't have to use any shop points to unlock songs, it's fine. I was under the impression this was happening. (It shouldn't even happen with the songs from older mixes, IMO).

If shop points are strictly for unlocking dancing characters or other characters or trophies or whatever, that's fine.

I think most people want to be able to play the full range of songs that a DDR game offers.
XahGee
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this would be nice, but I think Konami would be too lazy to do it.
Interesting concept, though.
digi162
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the customizable character idea. We got a taste of that with the robot in Hyper Master Mode in SN2 and it just seemed like DDR could go down that route and make it happen. It seems plausible, but I don't know. There are a lot of fun and interesting concepts that could be added to DDR like what you've mentioned, but someone somewhere would have to pull some teeth to get some changes made. You mention older songs; it's a shame Konami hasn't released like a party collection or something that has all the popular songs from previous releases. Of course, the Dancemania songs might not be plausible, but perhaps like 80-90 songs including stuff from previous releases, an Xbox version, or those hard to find PS1 releases.
That guy with the afro...
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw 90 songs I thought "Oh hell no." but then I remembered this is a console board. Names of the places are blah, but thay can be worked over. I don't think Konami would ever bother putting up tournaments as extras, and having two stepcharts (I'm assuming the extra one that you buy would be harder) is an awesome idea, but will probably get scrapped due to laziness.
VxJasonxV
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is likely to only ever happen on a console release, it is most certainly not a console topic.

Moved to Chit-Chat.

Amusing Pictures: lolddrfreak | Road of LoQ
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
videoCWK
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like this at all. Not to be rude, but master modes were bad enough, when I play a dance game I want it to be a dance game, not a cross between Animal Crossing and a master mode.
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomNinja> Yeah, the names I thought up of Like in 30 seconds only so that It would be much easier for me to explain things E13.gif

VideoCWK> That's alright. Obviously, you'd have the regular mode aswell. And That wasn't being rude, that was just your opinion E1.gif
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

666 combo to unlock Satan Road.

*LOM theme*

da-da da da SATANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Zukin-Man
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this idea would take off. I've noticed a great dislike among people when it comes to the Quest Mode-like modes, especially on the XBox series. I think putting a bunch more stuff in a mode like that would just frustrate people more, especially those who make it a point to unlock everything. However, that's just what I think the general opinion would be. Personally, I think I'd like a mode like that, but with a few changes. The most immediately obvious one being the hypothetical names you gave the city and whatnot.

The information and trivia thing for old songs sounds like a good idea, but if travelling around the city is as slow as travelling around the country/islands in the Quest Modes for the XBox series, then it should probably just be a separate mode, like the Information section on the early PS2 series, and the older songs would just get stuck in a shop or something for unlocking.

Travelling around the city would probably have to be on a "branched-track" style, like the Quest Mode on Ultramix 3. If it's sandbox-style like GTA, it would probably get annoying for pad players to have to keep switching between a pad and a controller.

As for character customization, I think it would be a great idea, but I wouldn't want it to be the watered-down version that was in Universe 2. I'd want it to be more detailed...Maybe like a toned-down version of the character edit at the beginning of Mass Effect or Saints Row. You know, editing things like skin color, hair style, and race, without getting as ridiculously detailed as jaw gaunt, cheek width, eye height, etc.

I think a mode like this would be all right in the next Universe. With how expansive this thing sounds, it would probably be best put on a 360 disc, and the team that works on the XBox series is always toying around with different ideas for Quest Mode.
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great idea for DDR too. It involved good songs with good charts and good syncing. I tried contacting Konami about this idea and they said they weren't interested.
Haoie
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea I suppose, but if you ask me, the whole "buying songs" idea was just a cheap way to get you to play more often, as in a chore.
Tonight
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BAGGER VANCE
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought of a similar idea, except it was more like a hybrid of sonys "home" idea and an MMO. how it works? basically, you download the game for 800 microsoft points and it comes with 20 "classic" DDR tracks at default. Each player gets an apartment where you have a home setup where you can play all the songs you've purchased by yourself(or with a friend if you invite them to your apartment). The twist is you can roam around a huge CD and you'll find DDR arcade machines(they'd have every mix available for download minus some licenced songs) and each of the machines is arcade accurate emulation(as in the older mixes are 30 FPS). IN order to play these, you must purchase the packs. When you play songs at your apartment, however, everything is updated in a new 360-ized interface that doesnt suck. the twist is you can play on these arcade machines with strangers, so its easy to meet new people.

its a pretty extreme concept(and i highly doubt its possible with the current gen hardware), but if konami could do it(like they ever would!) id be in heaven.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: