Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

How tall is an arcade bar, exactly?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirbyrockz
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: How tall is an arcade bar, exactly? Reply with quote

^ topic. DDR or ITG. Not sure if they're different.

I don't mean from the floor to the top, I just mean from the pad. Thanks.

Check out my Simfiles at BMS!
View users profile Send private message Send email
neuter_man
Basic Member
Basic Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36" or so, was at the arcade and measured it the other day.
kirbyrockz
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks, man.

Mods can lock this if they wish.

ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITG/PIU bars are 38"; they're designed for taller people than the DDR bars are.
Agent
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancingTofu(SMC) wrote:

Excuse me finding it humorous that the bar made for Korea is designed for taller people than the one made for America.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalek
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent 24 wrote:
DancingTofu(SMC) wrote:

Excuse me finding it humorous that the bar made for Korea is designed for taller people than the one made for America.

more like

Japan

not america
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HumanBeing
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the arcade bars always seemed a bit too high for me to make efficient use of them. I think taller people have a significant advantage when it comes to bar use.

Perhaps if they'd put a few more rungs on it at lower positions, they could be more useful for shorter people.

Primarily this is the reason I just always avoided the bar and just learned to play without it. It does appear to be height discriminating.
Agent
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalek wrote:
Agent 24 wrote:
DancingTofu(SMC) wrote:

more like

Japan

not america

You know, I was going to make some smartass remark to this, but I'll just keep it to myself and let you say whatever. I don't need to start any arguments.

Anyway....

HumanBeing wrote:
Yeah, the arcade bars always seemed a bit too high for me to make efficient use of them. I think taller people have a significant advantage when it comes to bar use.

Perhaps if they'd put a few more rungs on it at lower positions, they could be more useful for shorter people.

Primarily this is the reason I just always avoided the bar and just learned to play without it. It does appear to be height discriminating.

From what I've seen, there aren't that many tall people playing DDR. Okay, maybe I could be wrong, but I've always been the tallest person in the arcade and I'm only 6'1" or 6'2".
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kirbyrockz
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent: He does have a point, though. DDR bars were made originally for gameplay in Japan, and they haven't changed since.

Agent
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KirbyRockz wrote:
Agent: He does have a point, though. DDR bars were made originally for gameplay in Japan, and they haven't changed since.

They made new pads that were even crappier when SN was made (a game that was designed for the Americas and Europe) but they left the bar exactly the same when they should have changed it. Meanwhile for whatever reason the bar on Pump It Up machines, which are designed for use in Korea have always been taller. And for those wondering if the height of South American players is a factor, there are alot of short people in South America**. From what I've been hearing, Pump It Up is also starting to die out in Korea and have more of a foothold in South America. Anyone have any info on this? I heard word that people in Korea were finding it hard to find machines, especially of mixes older than NX.

**And it's undoubtedly due to differences in diet. Standards for protein and calcium intake are important in the US and not as much in other countries. But I don't want people to start making an argument about differences in height between countries and races now, either.
kirbyrockz
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense.

Agent
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KirbyRockz wrote:
Makes sense.

LOL, what kind of reply is that? I don't know what parts of my logic you're approving.

Although it was rash of me to post that original post without explaining myself. I should have expected people to not understand what I meant. Looking at the date, it was some kind of late night thing and I wasn't exactly thinking properly.

Regardless, I've made a total prat of myself and I think I'll stop posting for a while now.
kirbyrockz
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent 24 wrote:
KirbyRockz wrote:
Makes sense.

LOL, what kind of reply is that? I don't know what parts of my logic you're approving.

Although it was rash of me to post that original post without explaining myself. I should have expected people to not understand what I meant. Looking at the date, it was some kind of late night thing and I wasn't exactly thinking properly.

Regardless, I've made a total prat of myself and I think I'll stop posting for a while now.

Hehe, I was saying that toward your response to my post. Basically, about how US pads are the same as Japanese.

ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent 24 wrote:

From what I've seen, there aren't that many tall people playing DDR. Okay, maybe I could be wrong, but I've always been the tallest person in the arcade and I'm only 6'1" or 6'2".
Of all the serious DDR players in the Pacific Northwest, the average is about 6'2". I'm one of the shorties at 5'10".

Tallest PNW playa is 6'8". Shortest is about 5'3".

Anyway, what I usually see the shorter people do is just use either the sides of the bar or just use one hand. If you really need it, you can adapt to it.

For optimal useability, midwaist is a good height for the bar.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: