Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Homemade multi-console dance pad... questions..

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydrogen_wv
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Homemade multi-console dance pad... questions.. Reply with quote

I am using riptide and others designs to create my own dance pads. This is the catch... I have Dancing games on Gamecube, Xbox, and PC. I have decided I will use PS2 circuitry with adapters to use the same pads on all consoles... My issue is the button configurations...

Gamecube uses 4 Directions, A,B, Z, and Start
Xbox uses 4 Directions, A,B, Start, and Back
PC is no issue, as the buttons will be 100% configurable.

I fear that the adapters will not convert Z to Back... or some such... or there will be some conversion issues. So here's my question... If there are conversion issues, how difficult will it be (or is it even possible) to tear into the converter and redirect the buttons by switching wires... I noticed on the GC controller, only one wire carries Data. I'm not sure if other console controllers are the same or not....

Any information, or anyone able to direct me to a post covering these issues? Thanks in advance for any help.
View users profile Send private message
infamous360
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

build it for the ps2 and use controller converters for the other consoles... or build multiple control boxes
hydrogen_wv
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i'm doing... my concern is that it will not convert the proper buttons and the ddr games, afaik, do not have 'control config' where you can change which buttons do what. I wrote that up at midnight last night, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a bit unclear. Allow me to elaborate.

My goal is to create the dance pads using a PS2 controller. I do not have a PS2, but the controller seems to be the easiest to work with. I would like the pads to be useful on all systems. I purchased these controller adapters....

http://www.virtualvillage.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=3821399&utm_source=baseusa&utm_medium=shopping

My dance pads will have 8 active squares. The 4 directions, and 4 buttons... which seems to match the typical ddr pads... X/Y (A/B on gamecube) and Start and Back (Start/Z on GC, Start/Select on PS2)

Now, If luck plays any part, the controller converter will match those buttons appropriately, if not I may have to tear into the converter wiring and change the way the converter converts the buttons. Now, I have very limited electrical knowledge, but what it really comes down to is hacking into a console-controller style wiring, and 'switching wires'...

Harf... after further reading, the data is all sent down one wire on all the consoles.... So will it be possible to change the way the converter converts without too much hassle? Or... better yet... what are the typical key mappings for these converters...
hydrogen_wv
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be easier for me to go get some busted controllers (I can get busted controllers for dirt cheap at a local repair shop), and just wire up 3 circuit boards? I can sell one of the ps2 controllers I bought and return the unopened one....

I can see a lot of potential pains and problems with my current method, and while wiring up 3 controller boards will use more wire... wire will be cheaper than buying a buttload of more expensive stuff and finding out it doesnt work....

Any ideas from the DIYers out there... i'd like to get the majority of my parts this either today or tomorrow. Thanks in advance...

BTW... I have had trouble finding some VERY detailed guides.. I'm better than the average joe with this sort of thing and I've been puzzled in a few spots, So I will probably create a guide based on my pads that I will be making, and I hope to make them so that john doe across the street that can't change his own tire on his car can create one.
AJAX the Insomniac
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a detailed explanation on wiring. Idk If my friend can help me anymore (he knew wiring and stuff).

But what kind of guide are you looking for?
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
hydrogen_wv
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not concerned about the wiring on the pad itself... RipTides videos did a fairly good job of that, and it looks to me like it is just basically completing a circuit...

If you need some info on wiring, forget diagrams and download RipTide's videos... the 3rd one deals with wiring I believe.

I've pretty much settled on using 3 different circuit boards and, therefore, having 2 wires coming from each... 1 for xbox, and 1 for gamecube. Then I'll find a good xbox->ps2 adapter.

One idea I've had is instead of putting the contact points around the outside of each square, I think I'm going to put a 4x4 block in the middle of each square.. it'll increase sensitivity and durability..... Just an idea for anyone out there currently working on one... I want these pads to be able to handle at least 300 pounds.

This thread will probably end up turning into my whole process and progress of making my pads... I'm very excited about this because I love building things like this and I really enjoy DDR... Oh, and I hate soft pads.
AJAX the Insomniac
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrogen_wv wrote:
I'm not concerned about the wiring on the pad itself... RipTides videos did a fairly good job of that, and it looks to me like it is just basically completing a circuit...

If you need some info on wiring, forget diagrams and download RipTide's videos... the 3rd one deals with wiring I believe.

How come I didn't think of this before? (I need to think more...)
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
hydrogen_wv
Basic Member
Basic Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. I'm definitely going with the 3 seperate circuit boards from the controllers. I went to the place I mentioned before and got 4 Xbox controllers with faulty analog sticks and 2 gamecube controllers with faulty analog sticks all for $10. 2 of the xbox controllers will be switched over to usb by splicing wires.

I'm ready for the weekend so I can get this started...

Oh.. i didn't mention, i'll only be working on it during the weekends. I am a college student and have no work area at my apartment, but i go home every weekend to my parents house and they are carpenters, so they have all the tools and junk i'll need.

I just need to make a Lowe's lumber run on saturday and i'll be ready to go... So far i have the circuit boards for the controllers and the wiring... I'll be making 2 pads...

I hope the gamecube and xbox controllers are solder friendly.
infamous360
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xbox controllers are solder friendly but i dont know about gamecube... but they probably are
hydrogen_wv
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My looking at it, the circuit board areas for the buttons on the GC look like they have the same black stuff that the sony controllers have... i'm hoping i'm wrong... if not, i'll find a way to make it work... I found a guide to make it work with sony controllers, so it should be fine.

I'm pretty psyched about this whole project... I don't have any tape or i'd start getting 2 of the xbox controllers switched to usb. i'll type up my progress and take pictures this weekend and post them up on sunday night or monday.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not killing anybody, but try to post in the homebrew topic regarding homebrews. Discoman gets the executive decision on that matter though.

Anyway, you shouldn't have any problem if you just build multiple control boxes OR have all your chips in one big control boxes and just use some diodes to make sure you don't cause any wire shorts. Unless you have it plugged into multiple consoles at once, it should be problem-free.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: