Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

EDIT: Marq's Incorrect Guide.
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marq(uistadorous)
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: EDIT: Marq's Incorrect Guide. Reply with quote

EDIT: I now realize that some of this isn't true, but some is true in MY OPINION... you can read it if you want.

For when you do crossovers, always make sure you turn your body all the way towards the way you're crossing over, not just staying straight forward or at a slight angle. If that didn't make any sense, here's an example. Lets say the pattern is right down left. Once you hit the left arrow, your body should be facing 90 degrees (or close to it) towards the left, NOT just 30 or 45 degrees. Mabey you already knew that, but I think that's the main thing. If you don't turn your body enough, you will tend to not completely hit the crossover arrow, therefore resulting in plenty of misses.

Also, make sure when you see a crossover step coming up, you really focus on that step slighty more than the other arrows and do your best to hit the whole arrow panel on the step, or else you will find your self being like "why the frick did I miss that step?!" Just be ready for them.

And one more thing that might help, is to hit crossovers on your toes, not flatfooted (this might not be a problem if you always play on your toes anyways... which you shouldn't tongue.gif ). If you hit them flatfooted you have to reach farther for the arrow panel and it makes it feel really awkward. But remember that's only for crossovers

Well, hope that helps. The main thing is just practice. Good technique takes time, but you will develop it. Also on hard songs, you need to:

1) play flatfooted. If you're still playing on your toes, you're gonna suck more cause it wastes energy and hurts accuracy.
2) Take small, yet firm and solid steps. Don't do this crap where you put your whole foot on the arrow panel for every arrow on hard songs. You have to save energy, but you also have actually hit the arrow tongue.gif
3) when you're sucking at a hard song, forget about it for a bit, play easy songs to relax, maybe wait till the next day , THEN come back to it when you're refreshed.

Also. Whenever you're playing a song you can easily do, make sure you're always working on your FA. You should constantly be trying to get rid of all greats and as many excellents as you can. It's all about fantastics E1.gif.

Last edited by Marq(uistadorous) on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Tranzworld
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOBODY LIKES YOU MARQ STOP POSTING! laugh.gif

Good guide, too bad my mind cant understand crossovers lol. i'll have to work on them somehow though.
View users profile Send private message
Marq(uistadorous)
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tranzworld sucks at life...

E7.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You suck at life more than i do.

And by win I mean fail.

Best. Quote. Ever.
Chaotix(Keby)
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure marq wins garrett
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ch40T1X wrote:
Im pretty sure marq wins garrett

Damn you Kevin..

/Wrists frown.gif

And by win I mean fail.

Best. Quote. Ever.
Marq(uistadorous)
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUAAHAHAHAhaha...ha... yay
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only people I've seen who turn their entire bodies 90 degrees during crossovers are people who suck at DDR. The only way to learn crossovers is to whore songs that have crossovers (ie, Rhythm and Police is good for DDR, Oasis [E], etc) and FORCE yourself to crossover. Practice at home if you can on Stepmania and slow down the song rate to .8 so you can give yourself time to read them properly. It all has to do with the reading, stepping them comes after you can read them.

BTW, theres not a damn thing wrong with playing on your toes.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psisarah wrote:
The only people I've seen who turn their entire bodies 90 degrees during crossovers are people who suck at DDR. The only way to learn crossovers is to whore songs that have crossovers (ie, Rhythm and Police is good for DDR, Oasis [E], etc) and FORCE yourself to crossover. Practice at home if you can on Stepmania and slow down the song rate to .8 so you can give yourself time to read them properly. It all has to do with the reading, stepping them comes after you can read them.

BTW, theres not a damn thing wrong with playing on your toes.

If you're talking to me...I flatfoot. and I CAN do crossovers, usually though i just shove it out of my mind because i'm more interested in FA though. And turning yourself 90 degrees greatly increases your chances at a Fantastic. Marq knows what he's talking about, we play together all the time.

And by win I mean fail.

Best. Quote. Ever.
Agent
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured all this stuff was just basic knowledge that could be learned by playing. I don't get why people PM and make topics asking how to beat a song. Practice it. You should learn the methods on your own by playing because they will just be what feels natural.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psisarah
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good technique takes time, but you will develop it. Also on hard songs, you need to:

1) play flatfooted. If you're still playing on your toes, you're gonna suck more cause it wastes energy and hurts accuracy.

This is what I meant about playing on toes. I can't FA worth poopy when I play flat footed but have decent FA when I play on my toes.

I'm just saying I'm surrounded by good players all the time, and not a single one plays like the way that's described (without sucking)
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psisarah wrote:
Quote:
Good technique takes time, but you will develop it. Also on hard songs, you need to:

This is what I meant about playing on toes. I can't FA worth poopy when I play flat footed but have decent FA when I play on my toes.

I'm just saying I'm surrounded by good players all the time, and not a single one plays like the way that's described (without sucking)

Each to his/her own then E13.gif

And by win I mean fail.

Best. Quote. Ever.
AJAX the Insomniac
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psisarah wrote:
The only people I've seen who turn their entire bodies 90 degrees during crossovers are people who suck at DDR.

I do that, and I don't suck at DDR. (I don't have the ability to AA songs easily like some ppl though)
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Charlie Likes Cake
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Krad wrote:
psisarah wrote:
The only people I've seen who turn their entire bodies 90 degrees during crossovers are people who suck at DDR.

I do that, and I don't suck at DDR. (I don't have the ability to AA songs easily like some ppl though)

............. E19.gif ................. E19.gif

GIVE ME CHALLENGES!!!!

[quote:f53f3badc5="Simo!?(brb)"]IHCW!!![/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
DarkCore
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Krad wrote:
Uh....lol?
Anyway, I personally think this guide is full of fail since I play fine and I don't use my toes only for crossovers. You pick up your own technique as you go along, you definitely don't need to be taught.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Agent
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to toe, when I started playing Stepmania I naturally slipped into flatfooting. It's much easier and I excelled my friend, who had always been better than me. I don't ever use a bar and even when he tries the same songs he generally can't get as far as I can even with his Blue Shark's bar.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
davidyko
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Blueshark bars suck, but that's completely off the point.

Yeah, I agree with DarkCore's thing about picking up your own technique as you go along. However, as much as each person has the right to do his own thing, you should still keep an open mind about how to cut down on useless movements, or wasted energy, etc. Hey, I finally passed Delirium after realizing that hey, I don't have to stomp like a maniac at the ending run!!

Groovestats
David needs more challenges. E10.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Marq(uistadorous)
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess it's true that even I don't turn the whole 90 degrees when doing crossovers, but I notice I have to turn enough or else I'll screw up. I don't care if you guys agree with this or not, cause now that I think about it, even I don't agree with all this stuff 100%, just thought I'd share it with every one since it has already been written. E1.gif You guys don't have to flame me for it.
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

18. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Marq's guide for ITG success!! (mainly crossovers) Reply with quote

Marq(uistadorous) wrote:
[i]For when you do crossovers, always make sure you turn your body all the way towards the way you're crossing over, not just staying straight forward or at a slight angle. If that didn't make any sense, here's an example. Lets say the pattern is right down left. Once you hit the left arrow, your body should be facing 90 degrees (or close to it) towards the left, NOT just 30 or 45 degrees. Mabey you already knew that, but I think that's the main thing. If you don't turn your body enough, you will tend to not completely hit the crossover arrow, therefore resulting in plenty of misses.

100% false. Do you play ITG competitively?

The correct way to hit crossovers (first of all) is not to. You should double step everything you can. If you must crossover, for instance in Bloodrush, you turn your body the minimum direction toward the crossover you can without making your stride length imbalanced. This is usually about twenty degrees.

Turning your body takes energy.

Marq(uistadorous) wrote:
Also, make sure when you see a crossover step coming up, you really focus on that step slighty more than the other arrows and do your best to hit the whole arrow panel on the step, or else you will find your self being like "why the frick did I miss that step?!" Just be ready for them.

Completely wrong. You should always focus equally ceterus paribus. In addition, since you only have to crossover when technique demands it, you should move the minimum distance you can while still making firm contact.

Moving so that you hit the whole arrow takes energy.

Marq(uistadorous) wrote:
And one more thing that might help, is to hit crossovers on your toes, not flatfooted (this might not be a problem if you always play on your toes anyways... which you shouldn't tongue.gif ). If you hit them flatfooted you have to reach farther for the arrow panel and it makes it feel really awkward. But remember that's only for crossovers

Totally false. You should continue to hit crossovers in the same way you hit all arrows. Rising to your toes will not significantly help you.

Chaning your orientation takes energy.

Marq(uistadorous) wrote:
Well, hope that helps.

It doesn't. Everything in your guide is completely wrong and I wonder if you play seriously.

Marq(uistadorous) wrote:

I play on my toes. So does Yasu and Take.

It is true, however, that playing accurately is easier on your whole foot. Not your flat feet, your whole foot. Hit the back arrow with your heel, the side arrows with your insteps and the front arrow with your toes. Minimum movement for minimum energy usage.

Marq(uistadorous) wrote:
2) Take small, yet firm and solid steps. Don't do this crap where you put your whole foot on the arrow panel for every arrow on hard songs. You have to save energy, but you also have actually hit the arrow tongue.gif

And when you get better, you don't have to do this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2WndHOVixrM
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to come in here and try and shut you idiots up, but Cory beat me to the punch.

Thanks buddy =)
just to answer, if someone who stands next to you watching you play PSMO but you get a D on it, versus somebody who understands perfect attacking and stuff, will think you suck. A player is considered good in my opinion when a player of a higher level comments about you or see's you triple A a song. Or if somebody looks up to you. Hope it clarifies.

View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: