Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

These forums are WAY too strict...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crunchwrap
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: These forums are WAY too strict... Reply with quote

I came to "Site Feedback" to tell you guys that these forums are too damn strict! All I see on forum responses is people getting all bent out of shape saying "You should have posted this there because this topic doesn't belong here", etc. I think the whole scenario is rediculous and immature in terms of the rules. Also, Moderators lock topics for very specific, stupid reasons including "This topic has been made before, so I'm locking it", or "This topic would be better in the "Bemani Controllers" forum". I know that you can search the forums using the Search tool, but what's wrong with creating another similar topic? One time in a forum, I was shocked to hear a statement made by a person going something like this: "I don't think I'm allowed to give you my opinion on each of the games on your list, so Private-Message me". To not be able to post your opinion on something like DDR is a joke. I understand that if DDR Freak didn't have any rules, the forums would be flooded with a lot of topics, but I think DDR Freak's forum "rules" have gotten a little out of hand. I don't expect anybody to do anything about it, but I've *almost* had it with the little rediculous remarks that are made, and the locking of topics for sometimes hardly any reason by Moderators. Also, other websites' forums like Gamespot's are exactly the same way, so I don't know whether I've hit sites that are rediculous in terms of rules, or whether that's just the "way of life" on the internet that would never surface into the real world... Next time someone says some stupid remark, I'm going to say "You hear that? That's the sound of nobody giving a sh**!" Anyway - that's some site feedback for you guys who control DDR Freak. Also, it's funny because when I submitted this, I put the word shi*, and it got automatically changed to "poopy". Look - are we kids who can't see bad words, or inmates in prison due to rules? I wish I could talk about DDR with you guys, but I guess your "rules" get in the way of fun conversation - it's like a robot overheating when something goes wrong! I know somebody is going to respond back to this posting with either a sarcastic remark, or saying that "rules are rules, and everything would be out of control without them", but I just want you guys to hear me whether you disagree with me or not. I think you guys get my drift more than enough by now - people have way too much time on their hands.
View users profile Send private message
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

1. PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: These forums are WAY too strict... Reply with quote

crunchwrap wrote:
I came to "Site Feedback" to tell you guys that these forums are too damn strict! All I see on forum responses is people getting all bent out of shape saying "You should have posted this there because this topic doesn't belong here", etc. I think the whole scenario is rediculous and immature in terms of the rules.

It's not immature, it's being organized. The forum descriptions are there so users know what is inside each forum. Moderator's help that organizational process by letting users know the better place for their topic.

Quote:
Also, Moderators lock topics for very specific, stupid reasons including "This topic has been made before, so I'm locking it", or "This topic would be better in the "Bemani Controllers" forum". I know that you can search the forums using the Search tool, but what's wrong with creating another similar topic?

That is situational. If the topic has been made before, it usually means several times and with the same information each time. If you have some sort of new and improved status to the topic being discussed, let the moderator would locked it know and you may be able to continue the topic. However, if the topic belongs somewhere else... it simply belongs somewhere else.

Quote:
One time in a forum, I was shocked to hear a statement made by a person going something like this: "I don't think I'm allowed to give you my opinion on each of the games on your list, so Private-Message me". To not be able to post your opinion on something like DDR is a joke.

I don't understand why that would happen either. A discussion forum is for people's opinions and debates, questions and answers. Link me to that post and perhaps I can explain whatever happened there better.

Quote:
I understand that if DDR Freak didn't have any rules, the forums would be flooded with a lot of topics, but I think DDR Freak's forum "rules" have gotten a little out of hand. I don't expect anybody to do anything about it, but I've *almost* had it with the little rediculous remarks that are made, and the locking of topics for sometimes hardly any reason by Moderators.

We've had these rules for as long as I've been here and you can see my join date is almost 5 years old. If you feel things have become more strict somehow over the 2 months that you have been here, show me threads that were locked under this trend. I feel confident that I can display justification for the large majority if not all of them.

Quote:
Also, other websites' forums like Gamespot's are exactly the same way, so I don't know whether I've hit sites that are rediculous in terms of rules, or whether that's just the "way of life" on the internet that would never surface into the real world...

It seems to me you are saying the world is flat.

Quote:
Next time someone says some stupid remark, I'm going to say "You hear that? That's the sound of nobody giving a sh**!"

And the next time I see you do that, I will give you a warning for flame-baiting. Sorry, it's the rules here and if you don't want to follow them you have the option of leaving.

Quote:
Also, it's funny because when I submitted this, I put the word shi*, and it got automatically changed to "poopy". Look - are we kids who can't see bad words, or inmates in prison due to rules?

Some of you are, yes. There are parents on this site too who want to use this place as a epicenter for all things DDR, a place for their children to perhaps go to for more information about how to get better, or events pertaining to the game. We feel that censoring is a good way to comfort these people.

Quote:
I wish I could talk about DDR with you guys, but I guess your "rules" get in the way of fun conversation

No one is stopping you from talking about DDR, however if you want to talk here you have to follow some rules. We aren't as strict as you make us out to be. Sure, we want you to post in the correct forum and stay on topic without degrading anyone during the conversation. Is this a big deal?

I think not.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: These forums are WAY too strict... Reply with quote

If this was a site with a few hundred users, I would agree with you, crunchwrap.

But it's not. This is one of the biggest DDR sites on the Internet, and it has a truly enormous number of users. In addition, it is probably the most accepting site in that a lot of the members here are newbies. The rules, while they may seem strict, are completely necessary on a forum like this to prevent total chaos. In addition, bandwidth is definitely not free. Someone is paying to keep this site up, and it would be a disaster for them if there were no rules in place to prevent the same discussions from happening over and over and over again.

Notice how often the "this is in the wrong forum" thing happens? Many newcomers don't bother putting any thought into which forum they put their topics in. If there weren't strict rules about what goes where, this site would be completely disorganized. Again, this would not be necessary on a small site, but DDRFreak is far from small.

crunchwrap wrote:
One time in a forum, I was shocked to hear a statement made by a person going something like this: "I don't think I'm allowed to give you my opinion on each of the games on your list, so Private-Message me".

I know which post you're talking about, and that's the only time I've ever seen that happen. It was unnecessary for them to do that. The thread was already there and a legitimate question had been asked. The discussion hadn't degenerated into a pointless "no this mix is better" argument, and there wouldn't really have been any problem with the person posting their opinion (to say the least, they definitely wouldn't have gotten warned for it).

crunchwrap wrote:
Also, other websites' forums like Gamespot's are exactly the same way, so I don't know whether I've hit sites that are rediculous in terms of rules, or whether that's just the "way of life" on the internet that would never surface into the real world...

Again, it's all about scale. And actually, you do run into the same nitpicky rules in the real world. You're just used to them. You can't park your car wherever you want. You can't just walk up to any tree and cut it down. You can't paint on buildings that aren't yours (not that that stops a lot of people). Everything costs a set price, and you have to pay it. If you break the rules, you'll have to deal with the consequences.

crunchwrap wrote:
Also, it's funny because when I submitted this, I put the word shi*, and it got automatically changed to "poopy". Look - are we kids who can't see bad words, or inmates in prison due to rules?

Swearing is allowed. Shit shit shit. See? The swear filter serves to make trolls and flamers look like idiots. It's not there to prevent everybody from swearing; it's there to stop people who would abuse swear words.

DDRFreak's rules are not unreasonable. They don't get in the way of discussion. If you post something in the wrong forum and it gets locked, fine. Post it in the right forum. If your topic gets locked because it's been discussed a hundred times before (see: background of Polovtsian Dances and Chorus), then use the Search function or Google it. I can almost guarantee you'll find the answer you're looking for. What's more, you'll find it quickly, without wasting time and bandwidth.
So um, is it bad that awhile ago I was watching Family Guy, and when Quagmire came on, I thought something to the effect of "Whoa, It's AA Bob!" (I don't remember if the exact thought was "It's AA Bob" or "It's AA Bob's avatar", but I don't think it matters in this case)?
mistercow_pnoy
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: These forums are WAY too strict... Reply with quote

Yes Crunchwrap this is a prison you can never leave we will force you to stay here forever and post on the Internet. laugh.gif
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: These forums are WAY too strict... Reply with quote

Phrekwenci wrote:

Quote:
One time in a forum, I was shocked to hear a statement made by a person going something like this: "I don't think I'm allowed to give you my opinion on each of the games on your list, so Private-Message me". To not be able to post your opinion on something like DDR is a joke.

I don't understand why that would happen either. A discussion forum is for people's opinions and debates, questions and answers. Link me to that post and perhaps I can explain whatever happened there better.

it was in ddr consol games and it was someone coming in asking which consol game was the best and what they should buy
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, it's all about scale. And actually, you do run into the same nitpicky rules in the real world. You're just used to them. You can't park your car wherever you want. You can't just walk up to any tree and cut it down. You can't paint on buildings that aren't yours (not that that stops a lot of people). Everything costs a set price, and you have to pay it. If you break the rules, you'll have to deal with the consequences.

What I meant is that I guarantee you that most people (unless they were really high-strung) would never say, in person, those stupid rule remarks - they just know they can get away with it because nobody knows who they are. If you were a Moderator, would you have the balls to say in the real world, "You have to post this there", or "This topic has been created before, so don't make another one - locked."? I think in the real world, you'd get punched for saying such stupid things. I still find it somewhat fun to look at people's responses on topics that I created, but I feel that the "rules" take away 3/4 of the fun - there always has to be somebody to poop the party.

No one is stopping you from talking about DDR, however if you want to talk here you have to follow some rules. We aren't as strict as you make us out to be. Sure, we want you to post in the correct forum and stay on topic without degrading anyone during the conversation. Is this a big deal?

I think not.

It sure as hell isn't a big deal if you like not having fun.
Mr. Deus
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait wut no u shtup u fagit
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
AA Bob
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crunchwrap wrote:
What I meant is that I guarantee you that most people (unless they were really high-strung) would never say, in person, those stupid rule remarks - they just know they can get away with it because nobody knows who they are. If you were a Moderator, would you have the balls to say in the real world, "You have to post this there", or "This topic has been created before, so don't make another one - locked."? I think in the real world, you'd get punched for saying such stupid things.

They're not being rude. Saying "this is in the wrong forum, you retard, and if you had spent 15 seconds reading the forum descriptions, you would have known that" is rude. And while I'm sure that's what the mods would like to say at times, they don't. They're patient about it.

And in the real world, things are actually much worse. If you've broken the law, the police (the real-world equivalents of forum moderators) can be extremely rude.

crunchwrap wrote:
I still find it somewhat fun to look at people's responses on topics that I created, but I feel that the "rules" take away 3/4 of the fun - there always has to be somebody to poop the party.

Yeah...no offense, but you make way too many topics, and a lot of them are pretty pointless. I don't blame people for objecting to them.

crunchwrap wrote:

I think not.

It sure as hell isn't a big deal if you like not having fun.

Degrading people is your idea of having fun?

And again, if a mod tells you that your topic is in the wrong forum, then post it in the right one. It only takes a second, and it's not a big deal. If they didn't enforce that, then the categories and forum labels would eventually become virtually useless. If you were looking for information on a console game, checking the Console forum wouldn't do you a lot of good because the info you'd be looking for could be buried somewhere in Chit-Chat.
So um, is it bad that awhile ago I was watching Family Guy, and when Quagmire came on, I thought something to the effect of "Whoa, It's AA Bob!" (I don't remember if the exact thought was "It's AA Bob" or "It's AA Bob's avatar", but I don't think it matters in this case)?
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

8. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crunchwrap wrote:
What I meant is that I guarantee you that most people (unless they were really high-strung) would never say, in person, those stupid rule remarks - they just know they can get away with it because nobody knows who they are. If you were a Moderator, would you have the balls to say in the real world, "You have to post this there", or "This topic has been created before, so don't make another one - locked."? I think in the real world, you'd get punched for saying such stupid things. I still find it somewhat fun to look at people's responses on topics that I created, but I feel that the "rules" take away 3/4 of the fun - there always has to be somebody to poop the party.

In the real world... this stuff doesn't happen, unless you want to take it to the extreme. Perhaps an example, if you went into a KFC and asked for Lo Mein what do you think would happen? Probably, something to the effect of the people in the KFC looking at you funny, and the employee would tell you to "go to the right place".

Would you then punch the KFC worker in the face?
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are comparing these forums to things in the real world, like asking for Lo Mein at KFC. What I'm trying to say is that in the real world, if you told your friend to "not post there" or "there's been too many of that type of topic, so "Search the forums", your friend would think you're an idiot and ignore you - but I don't think you would tell your friends because you know that he'd think your an idiot, and really 'lame'.
davidyko
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crunchwrap wrote:
You guys are comparing these forums to things in the real world, like asking for Lo Mein at KFC. What I'm trying to say is that in the real world, if you told your friend to "not post there" or "there's been too many of that type of topic, so "Search the forums", your friend would think you're an idiot and ignore you - but I don't think you would tell your friends because you know that he'd think your an idiot, and really 'lame'.

My friends wouldn't think that I'm an idiot, because they're smart enough to realize that I'm actually right and doing this for the good of the community. Now, you might have different kinds of friends, but that's me. Besides, without rules, where the hell would we be? One of the reasons DDRFreak has lasted this long is because of the rules.

Groovestats
David needs more challenges. E10.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

11. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crunchwrap wrote:
You guys are comparing these forums to things in the real world, like asking for Lo Mein at KFC.

crunchwrap wrote:
If you were a Moderator, would you have the balls to say in the real world, "You have to post this there", or "This topic has been created before, so don't make another one - locked."? I think in the real world, you'd get punched for saying such stupid things.

And so are you?
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: These forums are WAY too strict... Reply with quote

DDRFreak likes to be neat and orderly, what's wrong with that? the CF forum mods are MUCH more lenient. but not very many people post there (compared with here). i like how strict DDRFreak is. if DDRFreak wasn't so strict, then people who actually add something to the topic (people like Tyrg and AA bob) probably wouldn't bother posting (correct me if i'm wrong)
Phrekwenci wrote:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's in both the Forum FAQ and the Console games announcement.You're probably thinking of the post i made. i was the 1st reply in that thread. Here was the first post:
jenzie wrote:
Umhm hi.
I have a few questions regarding ddr.

First one is, which system should I get it in like ps2, gamecube, pc, tv, dvd? Or what? I have playstation 2, gamecube, pc, 4 tvs and soon getting nintendo wii.

Second one is, which one should I get. I know there are tons of them..

Third one is, is the mario one any good? I was wondering because.. a lot of people have it in Canada.

Fourth question is, where can I get DDR. Like. I just want a ONE player one.. is there such thing? On the internet all they sell is like 2 mats for 2 players and I don't want that. erm.gif

Thanks. ^-^
my reply was "I don't think we're allowed to tell you, so PM me if you want my opinion E13.gif"

there was no list. i would gladly tell people my opinion ABOUT the games, just not on which one to buy. It was the 2 bolded questions i was referring to. to my understanding, we aren't allowed to directly tell them what game to get. I probably would've posted my opinion if i didn't see so much immaturity around that time. i was trying to avoid a big argument.
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blink.gif I'm saying for example: If a friend was writing with you, in person, on these forums and you told him about those stupid rules, he'd think you're lame. And also, because I'm typing, I can't give my tone of voice - what I meant is that you'd get puched for saying those things - but I meant it jokingly - of course you wouldn't get punched, I'm just saying that people would think you guys are people who go too much by-the-book, and are mama's boys laugh.gif .
AA Bob
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crunchwrap wrote:
You guys are comparing these forums to things in the real world, like asking for Lo Mein at KFC. What I'm trying to say is that in the real world, if you told your friend to "not post there" or "there's been too many of that type of topic, so "Search the forums", your friend would think you're an idiot and ignore you

Um, yeah...we've been giving you related examples because telling someone "don't post there" in real life doesn't mean anything. That should be pretty obvious...

crunchwrap wrote:
I'm just saying that people would think you guys are people who go too much by-the-book, and are mama's boys

They're more than welcome to think that, and there's nothing preventing them from starting their own forum with their own rules. If it becomes big, though, I bet they'll realize how necessary strict rules are.

Nick9109 wrote:
if DDRFreak wasn't so strict, then people who actually add something to the topic (people like Tyrg and AA bob) probably wouldn't bother posting (correct me if i'm wrong)

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I certainly wouldn't like this site as much, though.
crunchwrap
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever - I'm done arguing. I think you guys know where I'm coming from now. Well, it's about time to be hittin' tha old dusty trail. AA Bob - you should know where that's from.
AA Bob
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I sure do.

I like your hat.
Bringer of Death
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crunchwrap wrote:
If a friend was writing with you, in person, on these forums and you told him about those stupid rules, he'd think you're lame. ... I'm just saying that people would think you guys are people who go too much by-the-book, and are mama's boys laugh.gif .

I'm surprised no one has stated yet that this is a private forum. They can make up whatever "retarded" rules they want, and you'd have to either follow them, or not post. I could give a real world analogy with real world private property, but I'll keep it at this - You're a guest here, on their "property." Follow their rules, or go elsewhere.
You have asked for infinity and you don't deserve it.

View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont even give him the option
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your drift - basically what all of you are trying to say is don't take people's remarks personally, because rules are rules, and nothing can change that, so I either keep posting and follow the rules, or leave. The question is do you guys get my drift.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: