Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

NY Times reports on DDR usage in PE Classes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeoStar
Basic Member
Basic Member

20. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a study last year, researchers from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., found that children playing Dance Dance Revolution expended significantly more energy than children watching television and playing traditional video games.

So... They actually spent money to do a study on that. Unbelievable...
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Timotei Fortress 2
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeoStar wrote:
Quote:
In a study last year, researchers from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., found that children playing Dance Dance Revolution expended significantly more energy than children watching television and playing traditional video games.

So... They actually spent money to do a study on that. Unbelievable...

I think it's just something to tell the parents that think, "Well my baby's still playing a video game. How is this healthier?"

No, really. There are parents that misinformed.
View users profile Send private message
Juppy
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's great and all, but us DDR'ians aren't special now because we play DDR, since it's in the curriculum now and a majority of people are going to play it. It's sorta mainstream now. Mainstream sucks.
wschmrdr
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First mallrats...... then alleyrats........

NOW SCHOOL RATS?!?!?!?

Well, hopefully their n00b-ness will just gave way at the schools. Or maybe they start putting machines in youth centers or leave the schools open so that kids can stay and play. Maybe the older mall-rats (a lot of us) will then experience better pads. E1.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
messenger
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juppy wrote:
Well, it's great and all, but us DDR'ians aren't special now because we play DDR, since it's in the curriculum now and a majority of people are going to play it. It's sorta mainstream now. Mainstream sucks.

CRAP, now I have to go find some other unpopular subculture to ride on to quell my subversive need to not fit in. Here is a list you can choose from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youth_subcultures.
sherl0k
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

25. PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you people are missing the entire point of this. The schools are trying to solve an extremely pressing issue - childhood obesity - and all you people can think about is OMG THEY'RE INVADING MY ARCADE NOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously, grow up already will you?

[quote:ed1f6848c5=\\\"jaeness\\\"]get your change from obama, he apparently has tons of it.[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
TRPX_Mudkip
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherl0k wrote:
Wow you people are missing the entire point of this. The schools are trying to solve an extremely pressing issue - childhood obesity - and all you people can think about is OMG THEY'RE INVADING MY ARCADE NOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously, grow up already will you?

That's what I thought when I read this thread. I didn't post because I didn't want any warning points. :3

:3 :3 :3 :3 :3
Basic Member
Basic Member

27. PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: DDR at my school Reply with quote

unfortunate for me, i go to private school disturb.gif. sometimes they have ddr at like school parties and stuff, but not in PE. and they use the soft pads. goog.gif maybe this article will manage to sway the mind of our extremely un-mind-swaying athletic director.
AceJay
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherl0k wrote:
Wow you people are missing the entire point of this. The schools are trying to solve an extremely pressing issue - childhood obesity - and all you people can think about is OMG THEY'RE INVADING MY ARCADE NOOOOOOOOOO Seriously, grow up already will you?

QFT. goog.gif goog.gif goog.gif goog.gif goog.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marq(uistadorous) wrote:
UltraRobotGo! wrote:
My school got a DDR machine, unfortunatley it's only for gym classes, which I'm not in. E2.gif

Holy crap, that's awesome. Is it an Extreme machine?...

Well, my friend told me it's actually just one of those stupid dance along group things, not an actual machine. I'm dissapointed, they can't even just take turns and do Expert mode, everyone does begginer, which is bull. disgust.gif

OMG I BEETS MACKS 300!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
ddrfan1022
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: about time!!! now lets get it in the West Coast area!!! Reply with quote

Well...why don't we fight the "epidemic" all over the country now? I could teach the kids how to freestyle...hahah
Dawgbowl
Trick Member
Trick Member

31. PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwmmrManShen wrote:
no public school system is going to drop the thousands of dollars needed to buy machines for their schools. They're gonna get crappy CS versions with crappy soft pads.

5,600$

http://www.ddrfreak.com/locations/locations.php?action=displayLocation&locationID=11661

oops.

Yeah I helped get that machine, my friend created a powerpoint while Myself and another got signatures of students who would support the machine. We told her that it would 1. help kids with maintaining health (physical activity) 2. Bring revenue to the school (The machine has paid itself off and they have sent home newsletters to parents telling them what they've been able to purchase with that extra money) 3. Something for kids to do afterschool hours.

I graduated 2 years ago, but my friend who's a senior told me its still being used.
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

32. PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's really hilarious reading a lot of these responses. As a DDR player for the past 9 years, it's been interesting to see the trends that DDR has taken. From the arcade boom of the new millennium, to the decline of arcades in the past few years, DDR's culture has dramatically changed.

With that said, I've been doing some work for Konami promoting DDR in public schools here in California. I've gone to the National Association for Sport & Physical Education Conference and the Los Angeles County Office of Education Vendors Fair telling my story and demonstrating the cardiovascular properties of DDR to our educators here in California. (For the record, they were astounded that I lost 70 pounds) I've heard nothing but good things of putting products that make our youth today get up and exercise.

Let's face it. Not all of us like basketball, or baseball, or football or whatever. There's an increasing number of youth that are becoming more and more lackadaisical when it comes to the physical health in school. Yet, these people will get up for hours at a time on a DDR machine, increasing their fat loss, cardiovascular activity, eye/foot coordination, and rhythm/tempo.

Being a true Old Schooler in the word, I've seen the dramatic effects DDR has on individuals that use it for their physical gain. Some markets focus on DDR in just their local arcade/bowling alley/etc. I don't need to explain that those areas won't be around forever. Seeing that DDR can truly be beneficial in a classroom setting is what got me onboard this bandwagon, because losing a significant amount of weight myself, I know the positives of regular activity, even if it's in the most unorthodox method.

Soft pads, hard pads, machines or not, I find it horribly cheap to attack schools who don't have a large budget yet still want their students to feel the benefits of DDR. In a best case scenario, I'd love to see 10 dedicated arcade cabinets in every school, but reality is that's not going to happen for everyone.

As a "community," I'd rather see more positive input, especially for those thinking of going into the Physical Education field, so that we might have more people with influence in seeing a game that we're so passionate about being a difference maker in the obesity of children in America today.

But what do I know? I'm just an old guy. E15.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually cool.

If people are worried givin DDR a bad rep, then I'm keeping ITG a secret!

Yeah, I tried promoting in my school, but it's almost impossible.

We're only a 2B school, and there's nothing here but sports, so obesity hasn't reached the neighborhood, but people are competitive about sports.
Plus, you try to get a wanna-be gang banger to play.

We should be thankful schools even have DDR.
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ddrmamiof3
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutley right. Don't forget children with mild autism, children with adhd and other similar disorders. I think it's great for them too. Not only for weight loss but to help them to focus and concentrate better in school. I know this is gonna sound crazy but I tell my kids to play for 10-15 minutes before school on the days they have tests. BTW you are not old. If you're old then I'm ancient. laugh.gif
Mistletoe Angel Magic
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonton soup wrote:
You are absolutley right. Don't forget children with mild autism, children with adhd and other similar disorders. I think it's great for them too. Not only for weight loss but to help them to focus and concentrate better in school. I know this is gonna sound crazy but I tell my kids to play for 10-15 minutes before school on the days they have tests. BTW you are not old. If you're old then I'm ancient. laugh.gif

Actually, I don't find that crazy at all.

Every time I'm working on a take-home mid-term or take-home final essay/project, I usually work on it for an hour, then I play 15 minutes of Dance Dance Revolution, and then return to work for another hour, then back to DDR for another 15 minutes, and so on until the projects are completed.

As the article mentions, this game does a wonderful job improving the endothelial function in all who play it regularly, which pump oxygen into the bloodstream. And I believe playing the game either as a warm-up exercise or to serve as an intermission to clearing your head of stress or tension by pumping oxygen into your brain.

Children perform better on tests and exams when oxygen is pumping through their bloodstreams and allowing them to keep attentive and concentrate, and I too believe in my experience playing this game before or between tasks heightens my attentiveness.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
PMG
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

36. PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think on most 7 footers, both the Aerobic and Anaerobic workouts are great.

I think on most 10 footers, it's absolutely terrible for your body to do that consistently.

Then again, you have to work for months to get to the 10 foot level. Que sera sera.
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Today at my school they had career day and one of the people there to speak was a phys-ed teacher and guess what he brought with him DDR! It was awsome because I got to play and everybody was so impressed because I'm pretty good at it. I was the only fifth grader allowed to do this because career day is really for 6th graders but my teacher remembered that my mom had told her I was really good at the game so she let me play and everyone was really amazed at my skilz.
I hope this means that they might be thinking about getting DDR at our schools. I can only dream. biggrin.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

38. PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da-RiSiN-sMoKe wrote:

If people are worried givin DDR a bad rep, then I'm keeping ITG a secret!

True, but within a few years, we aren't gonna be seeing many more itg machines around...
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

39. PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, didn't Konami buy the rights to ITG? So probably never ever gonna see it again.

Back on subject, who else has DDR in their schools?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: