Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

NY Times reports on DDR usage in PE Classes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherl0k
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: NY Times reports on DDR usage in PE Classes Reply with quote

There's a really awesome article in the NY Times in regards to how PE classes in schools are starting to use DDR as a form of exercise. In West Virginia alone, "the state has committed to installing the game in all 765 of its public schools by next year. Almost all of its 185 middle schools already use it."

Not too shabby, eh?

[quote:ed1f6848c5=\\\"jaeness\\\"]get your change from obama, he apparently has tons of it.[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
AceJay
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: NY Times reports on DDR usage in PE Classes Reply with quote

sherl0k wrote:
"the state has committed to installing the game in all 765 of its public schools by next year"

Nice. Now if only New Jersey could realize how much of an impact this would have.

Also, I need a machine ~_~
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, ddr is becoming even lame, corny, and kid-centered!!! I'm thrilled! I love it when little kids that don't know anything about the game give ddr a bad rep! biggrin.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

User feedback from places like Joystiq and Kotaku have a bunch of people bitching off as to DDR lacking that "social" competitive aspect (i.e. being picked last, team spirit), a waste of money, not as effective as team sports, etc.

Last edited by Reenee on Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
Mr. Kennedy
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marq(uistadorous) wrote:
Awesome, ddr is becoming even lame, corny, and kid-centered!!! I'm thrilled! I love it when little kids that don't know anything about the game give ddr a bad rep! biggrin.gif

Wow dude that is really rude. These kids aren't playing it for the scoring aspect of it they're using it as a physical conditioning tool. I think its awesome and very important to emphasize it to all kids and schools for that matter. GJ guys keep up the great work E1.gif
Marq(uistadorous)
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, It's just that at my arcade I see all these little annoying kids playing and then when an older kid plays that's actually good, everyone else thinks it's lame... it's good for the kids, I just get annoyed sometimes... my bad, I was just being a jerk
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reenee wrote:
User feedback from places like Joystiq and Kotaku have a bunch of people bitching off as to DDR lacking that "social" competitive aspect (i.e. being picked last, team spirit), a waste of money, not as effective as team sports, etc.

I'm going to hold my tongue against lashing out at you yet again.

Because heaven forbid kids in PE class actually enjoy themselves! If nobody's noticed yet, the American competitiveness that used to be so prominent has been dumbed down. When I was in Elementary school we used to have class competitions every year in gym, and the winner's class would have their names up on the wall. They've now replaced them with stuff like "fun runs" where there is no placing, and there are no prizes. The amount of childhood obesity has forced schools to lean away from holding physical competitions because of the fact that there are too many kids who honestly CANNOT compete because of their weight problems. So they've switched to a less competitive, more individual-friendly activity.

While it's ultimately the parent's responsibility to ensure their kid doesn't end up a fatty, the schools are taking great steps in doing their part to help.

[quote:ed1f6848c5=\\\"jaeness\\\"]get your change from obama, he apparently has tons of it.[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Mr. Kennedy
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marq(uistadorous) wrote:
I'm sorry, It's just that at my arcade I see all these little annoying kids playing and then when an older kid plays that's actually good, everyone else thinks it's lame... it's good for the kids, I just get annoyed sometimes... my bad, I was just being a jerk

Its all good dude.
Ghettobarney
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school got a DDR machine, unfortunatley it's only for gym classes, which I'm not in. E2.gif

OMG I BEETS MACKS 300!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
Mistletoe Angel Magic
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too find this news very encouraging and I too am glad Dance Dance Revolution is establishing itself in our cultural mainstream gradually as an alternative, jovial physical fitness and esteem-building zeitgeist.

As someone who started playing this game last November in earnest, even I take concern with what direction this cultural phenomenon is going in some areas, particularly with the increasing number of second-rate songs and the increasing corporate image being established (like with the recent Konami/Burger King promotion)

But in this respect, I am not the least worried, as I believe this is a game anyone can and should enjoy, and it brings me great joy to see younger children find interest in the game and become more kinetic and express more vitality, in contrast to laying on the couch half the day and sleeping much the other half.

There is one important facet that I felt was overlooked in this otherwise excellent article, and that is how Dance Dance Revolution also is a prayer for those in need of improving their underdeveloped motor skills, especially for those among the escalating population of those diagnosed with autism or Asperger's Syndrome.

As someone diagnosed with a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome myself, I grew up with underdeveloped motor skills; where my movements were clumsy and awkward, I was more accident-prone than average, I was ultra-sensitive to bright lights and shrill sounds, etc. Though I was able to read a newspaper when I was four years old, in elementary school I had difficulty performing the simple task of opening a door, and all in all my gross motor skills were delayed in development.

Cross-country running was the first physical activity I took up to improve and sharpen my motor skills as well as my self-esteem, and more recently I've wholeheartedly embraced and am fascinated with Dance Dance Revolution, in that I believe it's an excellent game for any child in improving their posture, balance, hand-eye coordination skills, perception abilities and, ultimately, the self-esteem in general.

I believe that kind of education is lacking in our public school environment generally speaking, and I for one am ecstatic seeing more young kids developing not only an active lifestyle, but a sense of capability and confidence from this game.

I truly hope Oregon follows West Virginia's lead, along with the rest of the nation. E1.gif

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
videoCWK
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: NY Times reports on DDR usage in PE Classes Reply with quote

AceJay wrote:
sherl0k wrote:
"the state has committed to installing the game in all 765 of its public schools by next year"

Nice. Now if only New Jersey could realize how much of an impact this would have.

Also, I need a machine ~_~

Our school has
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! my son is diagnosed with pdd-nos a mild form of autism and this has been the best thing for him. He is really really good at it. He plays ddr, piu and itg. It has helped boost his grades, his self esteem and motor skills. I love the game. I love it when I go to an arcade and the older kids talk to him and respect him. He loves the attention. He can compete with kids much older than him because he is so good and he is only 10. E1.gif
Mistletoe Angel Magic
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonton soup wrote:
I agree! my son is diagnosed with pdd-nos a mild form of autism and this has been the best thing for him. He is really really good at it. He plays ddr, piu and itg. It has helped boost his grades, his self esteem and motor skills. I love the game. I love it when I go to an arcade and the older kids talk to him and respect him. He loves the attention. He can compete with kids much older than him because he is so good and he is only 10. E1.gif

I'm 23, LOL, but I know exactly what you mean, and the flip-side of what you mentioned is also true; I go down to a local Portland arcade whenever I have the opportunity financially, and at first I felt a little awkward wondering how younger people at the arcade would react to someone in their 20's or older dancing to the same game, like it's a kid's game and older people look silly playing it, but there is a wonderfully supportive environment there and I believe it's a game that's encouraging for all ages.

I wish I could have discovered this game sooner myself, when it was more of a smaller sub-culture, but in any case I am glad I discovered it, period. It's a prayer to me! E1.gif

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
ddrmamiof3
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really happy for you. It's nice to here from other people with autism
and especially nice to here good things. biggrin.gif
Pyro90X
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol wow i was just about to post this in the NY forums, but im happy to see that the schools and people are beginning to realize the upsides to DDR then seeing it as just another pointless game. I'm actually planning on going to my school's AP of Physical Ed and showing her the article and see if we can get that in my school. I think it would help greatly.......Even though some of the population might either rob or not like the idea, but I think its worth a shot.

Groovestats Give me challenges that are not impossible at my current level happy.gif
AceJay
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris: Yale Medford has an arcade cabinet? That's screwed up. Cherry Hill only has the 2 pads, Ultramix 4, and occasionally my PS2 versions ~_~

Others: Since we're all being so open, I was diagnosed with mild Aspergers as well. DDR probably has helped me.

Also, just wanted to note this article was actually not from the internet, and was on the front page of today's NY Times.

Last edited by AceJay on Tue May 01, 2007 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Marq(uistadorous)
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UltraRobotGo! wrote:
My school got a DDR machine, unfortunatley it's only for gym classes, which I'm not in. E2.gif

Holy crap, that's awesome. Is it an Extreme machine?...
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherl0k wrote:

I'm going to hold my tongue against lashing out at you yet again.

Because I totally said I agreed with said feedback. Right.
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, this article was read to health classes today. I had four people come up to me and say, "Our teacher told us an article about DDR! And you're that DDR kid!"

I was actually planning on asking for a machine to put in the cardio room for our Phys. Ed. classes at my school (I tried PS2/Xbox with pads last year in middle school....it didn't work). This might hopefully add more influence into my stance. E1.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no public school system is going to drop the thousands of dollars needed to buy machines for their schools. They're gonna get crappy CS versions with crappy soft pads. This is a neat idea, but will generally leave us alone, save adding some new members who are young and annoying.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: