Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Devout Stealth homepad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devout
Trick Member
Trick Member

40. PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alderaic wrote:
just a quick question about those pads, do you think the steps will last long for heavy weight players (200 to 230 pounds) I fear it could tear the screws or bend down too much the steel sheet and make the contacts permanent after some time, I really like this pad but i am myself around 220 and some of the potential other players are ranging from 175 to 230...

any thoughts on that ?

It shouldn't matter. After the initial deflection necessary to register a step, the sheet metal is then resting on the wood beneath, and any additional weight is carried almost entirely by the wood. If you're worried about the screws stripping, use a larger screw, like a #8 or #10 (might need to saw them down if they are too long)

Almost-finished non-Stealth homepad for sale, just add sensors! see here: http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8921579#8921579
View users profile Send private message
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

41. PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i talked to my dad about it earlier, and i'm gonna build one(or maybe two) stealths in a couple weeks when i get back from GA.

everything looks awesome on it from what i've seen.

and depending on how it goes, I may develop a 360 pad based off it ;]

and possibly built two for my school instead of getting the DT610's, it'd certainly save money, though it wouldnt be anything like arcade style.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
DragonFlame87
Basic Member
Basic Member

42. PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Durability Reply with quote

My only concern with this design would be the possibility of denting the metal, I don't know if you could play with the stealth design in shoes. Wouldn't it be very easy to put a small dent into the metal and with the small clearance between the foil and metal wouldn't this cause a large issue?
RespectJSB
Trick Member
Trick Member

43. PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he ever specified this one way or another, but you can certainly use shoes with a stealth pad. Once you have the sheet metal piece screwed down to the board, it hardly moves at all , so theres really no risk of denting the panel just by stepping on it with shoes. (now, whacking it with a hammer might be a different story..... )

KO
View users profile Send private message Send email
infamous360
Trick Member
Trick Member

44. PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anybody made a stealth with recessed arrow? does this pad work with freezes?
RespectJSB
Trick Member
Trick Member

45. PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made pseudo-recessed arrows on mine. What I did was put a washer under the corner screws of each of the non-arrow panels which raises them up a little higher (like 1/16") than the step arrows. I may go back and add another washer to recess them a little more because I still run into problems with my feet losing track of where they are at, causing me to miss steps. (this never happens to me at the arcades or on my riptide pads)

The freeze arrows work great on mine, they do not "die". as long as my foot is on the step it holds.

KO
infamous360
Trick Member
Trick Member

46. PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool i might make a pair for 360
devout
Trick Member
Trick Member

47. PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonFlame87 wrote:
My only concern with this design would be the possibility of denting the metal, I don't know if you could play with the stealth design in shoes. Wouldn't it be very easy to put a small dent into the metal and with the small clearance between the foil and metal wouldn't this cause a large issue?

I play in bare feet (i dont recommend socks for this pad since the sheet metal+socks is very slippery and makes you do a lot more work keeping balanced.) so I cant really comment on whether or not that would happen.
That said, I think it is unlikely considering the small distance the steel has to move through and the relative hardness of plywood. Unless you are wearing very hard soled shoes you're probably safe, and even then it's probably unlikely.

Denting would only occur if there was a sharp edged dent in the plywood below the causes a stress concentration in the steel when you step on it. You can imagine you'd have to kick a piece of plywood pretty hard to make a dent in it... plus you'd have the added protection of the sheet metal....

Almost-finished non-Stealth homepad for sale, just add sensors! see here: http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8921579#8921579
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

48. PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i picked up most of the materials tonight for my pad, and i'm getting the rest tomorrow morning.

it should be done by the end of the week at the latest, and i'll post a video when i'm done.

damn i never thought MDF was so heavy...
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

49. PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering the Stealth design and comparing it to my experiences with the original DT600, and I've realised a mutual problem. With the thin sheet steel, you're bound to eventually experience denting or warping. What I'm trying to do is figure out a material that could give the same effect of being pressed down then popping up without suffering damage over time. Are there any acrylic plastics that could provide that effect? Lexan is too stiff, and I'd say so is Plexiglas. So I'm thinking something more rubbery. Like the material used for golf discs (special frisbees, for the uninitiated), or milk jugs.

If anyone can find something on this, we could really evolve home play.
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

50. PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a way to cut/bend it, go to the heet metal section at lowes, and get some welding sheet metal, for got the exact name :/

i thought of getting some since it is heavier, and more than likely stronger, but i only have tin snips for cutting metal :]

or you could get some of that raised diamond sheet metal stuff that people use on their corner panels.
RespectJSB
Trick Member
Trick Member

51. PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devout could probably explain this in a better way, but here goes....
I think the problem with the diamond plate and the high guage sheet metal (16gauge, etc) is that the stuff is really rigid and won't bend or flex at ALL under normal dance pad conditions. and the sensor design in these pads requires some very slight give to the metal....

KO
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

52. PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well mine's just about done, but i ran out of epoxy with one arrow panel left :/

so i'm going to finish it tomorrow and hopefully have pictures up tomorrow.

but sadly i can't play till next week. I ordered my EMS adaptor today so it wont be here till sometime next week E2.gif

now to find a ps2 to play on tongue.gif
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

53. PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellp

mine's finished,

but i can't wire up a controller to it till i figure where the ground location is :/

but here are some pics for whoever wants.

oh, feel free to add me.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=43159263&albumId=660403
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

54. PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RespectJSB wrote:
Devout could probably explain this in a better way, but here goes....
I think the problem with the diamond plate and the high guage sheet metal (16gauge, etc) is that the stuff is really rigid and won't bend or flex at ALL under normal dance pad conditions. and the sensor design in these pads requires some very slight give to the metal....

KO
That's what my thoughts were on that.

I'm going to see if I can find some dirt on other plastics one could use.

Couldn't really find anything worth while. Maybe linoleum (sp?)?
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

55. PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well mine's built, and my ems usb2 finally came, but nw it's not registering anything...

I installed the drivers that came with the adaptor, and set it to dance mode, doesnt work..any suggestions?
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

56. PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to start >> control panel >> Printers and other hardware >> game controllers

Look for a 2-axis, 16-button controller. If you see one, click on it. It should be your dance pad. Press buttons. Look at your screen to see if any of the numbered red circles light up. If not, there's something wrong with your pad.

If you don't see the controller, check the green LED light on the converter. If that's on, your converter works.

If the green light is on and it's not detecting your controller, plug in a normal PS2 controller. Test it out. If it doesn't work, there's something wrong with the port you're using. Make sure you're using the "game controller" port on the adapter. If you are, then try it with the "gun controller" port.

If it doesn't work, return the adapter.
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

57. PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only 14 and 16 lit up, but i had an idea that i'm gonna try...

i tested it, and all of the panels work, but the problem is that they're always pressed, but i cant tighten my screws anymore, so i'm just gonne cut up a mousepad, and add it to the cardboard to keep the metal from contacting until i press. It'll take more force, but i play on my toes anyway
Ghettobarney
Trick Member
Trick Member

58. PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoymilkCharlie wrote:
I've been considering the Stealth design and comparing it to my experiences with the original DT600, and I've realised a mutual problem. With the thin sheet steel, you're bound to eventually experience denting or warping.

Charlie don't remember things good, I know you've been told twice already E15.gif Metal will always revert back to the same shape and state as long as it's not bent passed its breaking point. The metal in home pads is hardly bent more than 1/8ths of an inch, so no matter how many times you flex it it will not bend ever forever never.

Or I could be retarded and you're talking about something else entirley.

OMG I BEETS MACKS 300!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

59. PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm actually more talking about it being struck hard at one small point before the rest of your foot comes down (AKA not a problem if you flat foot). A lot of the time, you'll hit the panel with your toe or your heel pretty sharply before the rest of your foot comes down, and if the metal's really thin (like 30ga), it might dent in from the impact. The breaking point's an angle, not a distance, so if a small area is pressed in a small distance like 1/8", it might dent, although it wouldn't be a problem with a large area.

That's why I'm thinking rubber. It has a higher elasticity, which means that the breaking point is a much wider angle and a thicker piece will bend easily.

I did try to do some research on rubbers, but couldn't find anything helpful. I'm going to try and see what kinds I can buy by the sheet/roll and try to figure out what works best. I'll start with a thick linoleum, I think.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: