Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Devout Stealth homepad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jersey
Basic Member
Basic Member

240. PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting idea. Just not sure how this additional layer and weight of the linoleum will affect the sensitivity and reliability of the metal pad. You may want to try it out and let us know :-)
View users profile Send private message
ddrenthusiast
Trick Member
Trick Member

241. PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jersey wrote:
This is an interesting idea. Just not sure how this additional layer and weight of the linoleum will affect the sensitivity and reliability of the metal pad. You may want to try it out and let us know :-)

I'm going to use another mod for now. A soft mat with vinyl (turns out it WAS vinyl, not linoleum) on top, stapled to the plywood.

The metal is proving to be quite expensive where I'm at, and it would be hard to find the right gauge. So as long as my current choice of mod holds up, I'll stay with that. And maybe I can repair my old metal pad also.

A home made metal mat might be a year or two off for me.
Bahumutt
Basic Member
Basic Member

242. PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: My Devout Stealth Slim Reply with quote

Hey guys, first thanks for all the great ideas. Thanks to Devout for the orriginal ideas, and thanks to Methejuggler and jmdbcool for their innovations and to Jersey for putting it all together.

I just got done building two of the Devout Stealth Slim versions as per Jersey's methods {except, I used wires not tape}. I put them all together, wired them up, plugged them in, and hoped they worked...AND THEY DID!!! They worked perfectly All panels one both pads work perfect every time. No problems whatsoever! I was a little bit surprised. I was sure I would have to fiddle with them for a whiel..but I didn't. I was a little bit skeptical at first when looking at the thin carbord, and how close it was to the edges....but it worked fine. THANKS!!!

A few notes:
-All the material for TWO pads only cost me 57 dollars!!!!!! SUPER CHEAP!!
.....of corse, I already had two old ddr mats laying around which I used...but they only cost 5 bucks a peice.

-I don't have access to the same materials as in America..so, I used a little bit smaller sized plywood, and it was a bit thinner {between 1/2 and 3/4). This made the trim a bit of a pain, but other than that, no problems.

-I don't know if it is the type of sheet metal I used, or the thickness of the carboard I used {it is a bit thicker then a standard thin cereal box} but some of the panes stuck up enough that they were flush with the surrounding tiles {not sunk in, so no recessed panels}. I can't tell when I am dancing on them, but I don't know how to stop them from doing this..if I loosen the bolts any, I think they will be to loose.

-I attached two buttons to the top of the DDR controll box and just drilled and placed wires straight through the plastic. Simple and looks nice. One button is O and one button is start and select. That is all I need.

-Both pads work great. AA'd all the standard songs. And A'd heavies without a problem. Not as easy to use as a soft, foam insert pad, but easier to use then the Arcade. Also, it seems with these pads you can play with your shoes on or with your shoes off. First real pads I used that you can do that on. Everything else works great, freeze arrows etc.

-You can't go wrong with these pads!!!

Thanks!!!

On a side note, to make it easier on your feet when playing without shoes, you can actually put a soft mat OVER the pad. I would use something like a yoga mat {the non sticky ones} and place it over the Stealth Slim {and under the trim if you can}. The mat is not heavy enough to press your sensors, and should work fine. This makes your Hard pad stealth slim into a softpad for your feet.
ddrenthusiast
Trick Member
Trick Member

243. PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: My Devout Stealth Slim Reply with quote

Bahumutt wrote:
On a side note, to make it easier on your feet when playing without shoes, you can actually put a soft mat OVER the pad. I would use something like a yoga mat {the non sticky ones} and place it over the Stealth Slim {and under the trim if you can}. The mat is not heavy enough to press your sensors, and should work fine. This makes your Hard pad stealth slim into a softpad for your feet.

So based on what you're saying here, it should be possible to use vinyl "tiles" on top of the metal in devout stealth pads. That would feel better under your feet. I've tried something similar to a yoga mat duct taped on top of a thin plastic mat - that didn't do it for me - much too soft. For me vinyl was the ticket (I use athletic shoes with gel dampening - Nike Air is too soft).
Bahumutt
Basic Member
Basic Member

244. PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the tiles wern't too heavy I don't see why it wouldn't work. Of corse, if the tiles sage, it might press the panels down. If you bolted the tiles down though, then it would probobly be fine.

I just play with my shoes, so I don't have a single problem. My girlfriend just wanted to play whith her socks on. So, I actually took the trim off, and nailed/stapled the leftover softpad (the one I took apart for the control box) and put the trim back over top of it and WHAM! Perfect pad. Just like a foam insert soft pad except stronger, better, and more sturdy.

I just played a few hours yesterday and the pads handled everything I threw at them. Double taps, triples, quadruples, spins, slides, freeze swaps, cryptwalks, 1/2 beats, 1/4 beats, 1/8 beats (like xenon on heavy, perfect), horse stepping..what else is there? Handbeats, handstands...umm.......that's everything I tried. E1.gif It's like I'm in College again.
Jersey
Basic Member
Basic Member

245. PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Devout Stealth Slim Reply with quote

Hi Bahumutt, welcome to the Devout Stealth family. Glad to know you are having a good time with your pads.

The vinyl floor tiles I used is 1/8" thick. Maybe your tiles are a little bit thinner than that. Anyway, the purpose of the 'recess' construction is to protect our feet against any exposed sheet metal edge which could be pretty sharp. So, as long as there is no sharp edges exposed I think it should be alright.
8ftmetalhead
Trick Member
Trick Member

246. PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mind if I take your plan and pictures and add them to an archive? I'm pretty much downloading all the pad info I can find that's around in order to make a new archive of all the homepad designs and post them somewhere a little more active to inspire people to build their own pads again.

Also, looks very shiny. I like it.
ddrenthusiast
Trick Member
Trick Member

247. PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fantastic, and totally out of my league. Can we have some user feedback on it? Like, how many in the family does DDR? How do they like it? Have they tried metal pads before?
8ftmetalhead
Trick Member
Trick Member

248. PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope that's just DDR freak.

And I emailed you. Hello fellow NZ didderer!

/week late reply.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: