Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Pad Arena Thread:Which pad is better? Ask/Find out here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard2o9
Trick Member
Trick Member

420. PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yukihime cutting sheet metal is easy. All you would have to buy is some tin snips, and that would probably cost about $10.
View users profile Send private message
TsukiyoX
Basic Member
Basic Member

421. PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone! Hi Yukihime! biggrin.gif

Alright, 2 hours ago, I just finished snipping sheet metal to put under my arrows on my Afterburner. In a sense, it doesn't take egineering skills to snip sheet metal, but it takes concentration and a bit of strength (not to mention patience).

I just got my Afterburner last week and I am happy with it even though it is a bit too reccessed than the arcade and the arrows feel squishy. 160 dollars free shipping from the official site? There's nothing to lose, Snow Princess, so I would go for it. To be honest, I felt a little buyer's regret before because I played on crappy sneakers that doesnt even slide (I'm an expert flat footed "slider" player). Then I played it on my new Nike Free and my little "buyers regret" issue is over and all I need is to mod it a bit.

Now, I also bought Lexan to make it less reccess but putting the sheet metal under, the arrows feel less squishy. I haven't tried and play it exactly yet, so I'll see if I'll need the lexan, because I paid over 30 dollars for it but I can still return it.

Haha, what a long post but I want to help out with details as much as possible. I hope I help laugh.gif
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

422. PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with Dance Praise and USB soft pads in November 2006. My first console ddr game (SuperNOVA 2) was late October 2007 with a PS2 soft pad. A month and a half or so later, I received two foam insert pads that gave me a lot of trouble. July 2008 is when I obtained a TX-1000 -- it was the cheapest metal pad I could find on ebay. Currently, my soft pad and foam insert pads are unplayable due to at least one arrow being out of commission on each (although they almost work on the soft pad). The metal pad is aggravating the heck out of me because it keeps sliding around (the surface on which I play is rather slippery) -- it also has the down arrow cracked as well as the two confirm/diagonal buttons on the edges and the adapter box has had a couple issues, but these problems are not severe at the moment. I think I would like a better pad, so I can actually enjoy my games again, play doubles, and possibly play Pump It Up (I have one soft pad for that game). I have terrible precision and consistency -- I can pass most eights, some nines, but cannot full combo heavy songs on arcades, and cannot AAA any heavy song. I lack technical knowledge and a good ear for music, so I know nothing about syncing or anything. I do like hearing the steps when my feet hit the pad, so I like metal pads better than soft ones. I was wondering what would be best for me -- is Cobalt Flux the only pad compatible with Pump It Up, or would I be better off to make my own pad? Should I considering modifying a soft pad? My parents are willing to spend money on a Cobalt Flux and probably more expensive pads. The bar may not be a big deal to me, and it does not matter whether the pad is exactly like the arcade -- I just want something decently playable. Also, I weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 79 kilograms, I enjoy doing hands, and I guess I have the bad habit of stomping too hard since I have had the bad experience of pads not registering my steps for whatever reason.

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

423. PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally own a Cobalt Flux and a doubles soft pad mod.

I would consider either of those options.

The doubles soft pad mod works great for doubles, doesn't slide, and is the most sensitive thing for hands. It usually only costs $35 (in addition to the soft pads) and 1-2 hours of free time.

The Cobalt Flux can be used with pump it, has good contact sound, and generally never breaks. Two fluxes for doubles just cost soooo much.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

424. PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your advice and the links are greatly appreciated^^ I guess I did not clarify that I was planning to use the new pad with the TX-1000 I already have for doubles, so I would only one, not two, additional pad. Would a Cobalt Flux alongside a TX-1000 work decently for doubles, or is the height difference too significant? If I had another pad for Pump It Up, I could try freestyle and nightmare, so should I get the Cobalt Flux and mod my soft Pump pad (I never play shoeless on metal pads after my right foot experienced a bit of soreness for a few days as a result of me jamming my heel onto one of the edges of my TX-1000), or is there a better option? I read that the Cobalt Flux is not the best for Pump and it is not good for flatfooting. Is the Cobalt Flux okay for hands? Also, although my parents are willing to spend a lot of money, I would like to spend as little as possible and still get a decent/reasonable/acceptable deal. Thank you for your attention and help^^

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

425. PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Flux and modded soft pad come up to 1". The TX-1000 is 1½" I believe. It's a matter of preference, but I know I would bump my foot on the taller pad constantly on faster songs. For me it was worth the effort to build a separate setup for doubles.

Using a Flux for pump is impractical for some due to the size of the panels. See old mymybox pad for better dimensions. I've only used the soft pad that came bundled with the game so adapting to the flux for pump was no problem (especially because I switched the "arcade mod" around so the diagonals were recessed). Also, like I said, a modded soft pad will come to the same height as a flux, so your freestyle/nightmare option is there.

Hands on a flux are much easier to hit than arcade pads.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

426. PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking to use it alongside a TX-1000, you're going to want a similar design, not a cobalt flux. The shape and feel is just WAY too different on a flux to work for doubles with a TX-1000.

Now, you could always just buy a flux, take it apart, and build another one (the design is slightly more complex than that of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich) for about $40 or $50.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

427. PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my mom ordered a Cobalt Flux from cobaltflux.com Sunday, and I guess it is supposed to arrive around Thursday since we selected the option that claims delivery will be four days. Are you suggesting I construct another Cobalt Flux, DancingTofu(SMC)? I was hoping I could put the TX-1000 to good use since I am stuck with it -- my mom got it from ebay for a little more than $100 last July. It has been aggravating the heck out of me lately. Would it be possible to place something under the Cobalt Flux to even the height with the TX-1000? I hope I have not made any mistakes...

www.stayonsync.com/forum
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

428. PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the surfaces are VERY different. The cobalt flux has a flush design with arrows that compress pretty far, compared to the recessed design of the tx-1000 where the panels only compress a moderate amount. Additionally, the tx-1000 has a 1"-3/4" border, while the CF does not have any. I doubt it would be very feasible to play doubles between the two pads without modding both of them heavily or gutting one of them (preferably the TX-1000) and rebuilding it to replicate the design of the other, which is probably your best bet at this point if you're really intent on playing doubles. If you just want to get some use out of both pads, then use one of them and hang onto the other as a backup, or sell it to a friend so you can build a replica of the CF or something.

I would strongly recommend that anyone who buys a Cobalt Flux pays extensive attention to how the pad is constructed when cleaning it and uses that knowledge to construct a duplicate of the pad rather than buying another one.

Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes:

After breaking in the CF and making sure I like it, I'd unbow the panels, and take the time to observe how it's designed.

I'd then take the TX apart completely, making sure to fully salvage the control box, chip, and wires intact.

Finally, I'd go to the nearest home improvement store and buy:
-1/2"x48"x48" fir plywood
-1/8"x48"x48" medium-density fiberboard
-10' roll of 28ga. galvanized steel
-spray paint
-50 1/2"x2" stickable velcro pads
and if I didn't already have them:
-tin snips
-duct tape
-tin foil

I'd then use my knowledge of how the CF is constructed to build a similar pad using these parts and the screws, control box, chip, and wires from the TX-1000 and 4 of the non-arrow panels from the CF, replacing the back two and center with 1/2" fir plywood sanded down and spraypainted, and the front two with 1/8" MDF panels spraypainted.

But that's just what I'd do. Again, it involves pretty serious modification of both pads and a bit of ingenuity, but it's worth it if you do it right, because you'll wind up with two pads with all the nice things about the CF AND all the nice things about the TX-1000. It's not what I'd recommend to everyone and anyone with a TX-1000 and a CF, but it's a way to take your particular situation, spend another $30 or so, and get a really nice set of pads out of it.
Bahamut X
Trick Member
Trick Member

429. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lookin to get 1-2 new pads here. I've been out of the "DDR pads" loop for a few years here frown.gif. I've bought RO Ignition pads in the past and they've done pretty well (one held up for 2 years worth of a college DDR club)

I like the $80 price tag, especially if I wanted to get two, but I'm willing to spend more if it's significantly better.

I've played Cobalt Flux pads (the DDR club at my university has them). And they are quite good, but it feels like the size of the arrows are a little small (I'm 6'7")

Any suggestions? or should I stick with RO Ignition? If I do, is there a good way to keep two of them together for double? I'd love to get back into that too E1.gif

Thanks!

(So I've graduated, but I can still advertise it can't I? E13.gif)
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

430. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modifying foam pads for doubles
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

431. PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys!

been away awhile I know. Still kind of playing, but life keeps interfering.

Currently have a MMB 2006 dense foam pad which is starting to weird out plus the shiny surface sticks to my feet (ugh), and now MMB is bye-bye anyway, which was their own doing. I digress.

Cannot get a metal pad - can't afford the price of a CF, could afford an AB but -- no way this older with disabilities woman can lift 60+ lbs in general AND schlep it up 3 flights of stairs (that aren't just straight up but it's the 2 steps, turn, 5 steps, turn, 4 steps, etc) and it's a 100 y/o house. 60lbs + my 110 or so on top of that jumping around could = mass destruction of floor and plaster ceiling below me.

So it looks like it's another dense foam pad. I cannot use the flat soft pads at all, they're just a mess - and I gave mine away since I wasn't using them.

Play time is between 1/2 hour and up to an hour and a half depending on my mood, how I'm feeling, etc.

Playing mostly standard/difficult on DDR (no, not boss songs, but just about everything else); med/hard - 6 to 7 on a good day ITG using either PS2 or PS3 (and have adapter).

Either the RO Ignition 5.0: http://redoctane.com/Game-Controllers/DDR-Dance-Pads/Ignition-Dance-Pad-5-0-5-Platforms

Have they actually fixed the buttons shifting/getting tangled issue and is the cover the same as the ITG "soft" pads? I HATE the way they feel and sound, it's like dancing on a disposible diaper.

OR

BNX Sparkle: http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo/4985/VG-DDR-ULTDXS/

Have heard that the arrow configuration is a bit odd? like it's not the normal rectangle. Otherwise, how is this for the inserts not moving, shifting, being a pita? It is cheaper than the RO by $21, but not sure on shipping on either.

These seem to be the only 2 options for half decent dense foam pads. Yes I check fleabay and no they have NOTHING, like worse junk than usual.

Looking for durability, sensitivity and longevity as much as is possible (not having to spend 31 days breaking the thing in only to have it break on the 32nd day).

Advise, suggestions welcome! Thanks E1.gif
SwiftSketcher
Basic Member
Basic Member

432. PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I'm frustrated to the limits of my patience right now. Not at DDRfreak, these forums saved me from buying faulty pads through research biggrin.gif

BUT, I just want to buy a good reliable softpad so I can enjoy DDR!! And so far the results seem like theres no where to turn unless I pay up for an expensive CF or AB...

From what I've gathered:
1) BNS Extreme Pads are no longer what they advertise on the site, but cheap 3rd party stuff instead, so that's out. These were the ones i was going to buy after reading the really positive threads on this forum, but luckily I caught some posts reporting the DDRgame pads they were being shipped with instead. If this is still happening, I don't know...

2) I'm an owner of a bluebox RO 3.0 Ignition pad, and both the left and bottom arrow have been malfunctioning since shortly after purchase. So I'm weary of buying another foam pad from them, even if it's the new 5.0 one which there is virtually no info on it's reliability for..

3) I've just found out about blueshark, but I can't find out much info about their foam deluxe, and what I've found doesn't seem to be very positive.

I just want to enjoy DDR without spending more than $80 on a pad... But finding a quality pad seems close to impossible~! Is there any reliable foam insert pad on the market I can trust with my money E2.gif
path
Basic Member
Basic Member

433. PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: good foam pad options Reply with quote

my sister is flying down from the US to India and Im looking to buy a ddr pad. Unfortunately a metal pad isnt an option since they weigh 30lbs on average and the shipping costs more than twice some of the pads Ive seen. So it looks like a cobalt flux is out of the question frown.gif

However a foam pad is an option (especially if the foam is removable) since she can bundle it into her suitcase and bring it over. So Id love to know which pads are the best currently E1.gif

Suggestions for places to buy them from online would also be GREAT

I guess Im looking for something similar to what the previous poster wanted. Right now the one that seems to be most popular is ignition. Is that right?
Also I should mention that I use stepmania so I'd need a usb converter if the adaptor is for some other console :/
I tend to play between 6 and 9 feet for about an hour each day

Last edited by path on Wed May 27, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

434. PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would email BNS (BuyNShop) and find out if the pads they are selling is the exact one advertised, if they say yes also ask if it happens to be the DDRGAME pad if you could get a full refund, this way they don't BS you. I was one of the unfortunate ones that received the third party pad (it's not very good) but I ended up buying a BNS deluxe second hand and it works much better.

If that doesn't work I suppose an Ignition 5 is the next best bet.
path
Basic Member
Basic Member

435. PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yukihime, please let me know what you find out and decide. Since Im planning to buy a softpad too, Im looking for advice E1.gif

yukihime wrote:
hi guys!

been away awhile I know. Still kind of playing, but life keeps interfering.

Currently have a MMB 2006 dense foam pad which is starting to weird out plus the shiny surface sticks to my feet (ugh), and now MMB is bye-bye anyway, which was their own doing. I digress.

Cannot get a metal pad - can't afford the price of a CF, could afford an AB but -- no way this older with disabilities woman can lift 60+ lbs in general AND schlep it up 3 flights of stairs (that aren't just straight up but it's the 2 steps, turn, 5 steps, turn, 4 steps, etc) and it's a 100 y/o house. 60lbs + my 110 or so on top of that jumping around could = mass destruction of floor and plaster ceiling below me.

So it looks like it's another dense foam pad. I cannot use the flat soft pads at all, they're just a mess - and I gave mine away since I wasn't using them.

Play time is between 1/2 hour and up to an hour and a half depending on my mood, how I'm feeling, etc.

Playing mostly standard/difficult on DDR (no, not boss songs, but just about everything else); med/hard - 6 to 7 on a good day ITG using either PS2 or PS3 (and have adapter).

Either the RO Ignition 5.0: http://redoctane.com/Game-Controllers/DDR-Dance-Pads/Ignition-Dance-Pad-5-0-5-Platforms

Have they actually fixed the buttons shifting/getting tangled issue and is the cover the same as the ITG "soft" pads? I HATE the way they feel and sound, it's like dancing on a disposible diaper.

OR

BNX Sparkle: http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo/4985/VG-DDR-ULTDXS/

Have heard that the arrow configuration is a bit odd? like it's not the normal rectangle. Otherwise, how is this for the inserts not moving, shifting, being a pita? It is cheaper than the RO by $21, but not sure on shipping on either.

These seem to be the only 2 options for half decent dense foam pads. Yes I check fleabay and no they have NOTHING, like worse junk than usual.

Looking for durability, sensitivity and longevity as much as is possible (not having to spend 31 days breaking the thing in only to have it break on the 32nd day).

Advise, suggestions welcome! Thanks E1.gif
HatTrick3
Basic Member
Basic Member

436. PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im currently getting a's on 8s and occasional 9s
would an ignition increase my performance to 9s and possibly low to mid range 10s?
i currently have a one of those crappy non-slip pads which slip quite easily at times...
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

437. PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam pads slide around too but not as much. Using foam pads start to get difficult at level 10 songs.
HatTrick3
Basic Member
Basic Member

438. PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVE101 wrote:
Foam pads slide around too but not as much. Using foam pads start to get difficult at level 10 songs.

any other suggestions for pads?
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

439. PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a plywood modded soft pad that worked wonders, just make sure you use a brand new one.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: