Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Pad Arena Thread:Which pad is better? Ask/Find out here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Szalkow
Trick Member
Trick Member

340. PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Good pad? Reply with quote

CGRemakes wrote:
I'm interested in buying this pad, but there are so many pads that look the same, it's hard to know which ones are good, and which ones aren't.

http://www.gamezfl.com/Items/Item.aspx?sck=2996901&SKU=ups-(two)-foamddr2.5&caSKU=ups-(two)-foamddr2.5&caTitle=TWO%20PS2%20DDR%20v2.5%20Dance%20Revolution%20Foam%20MAX%20SUPERNOVA%20PAD

From what I can tell, it's a pretty respectable pad, but I can't tell for sure if it's the same Ignition pads they sell at places such as http://www.cyphergames.com/dadarev2sude1.html

Anyone have any experience with these pads?

I got a pair of these on eBay. They're somewhat cheaper than Ignitions, the most noticeable difference being the poor quality of the foam insert - it is thicker than the RedOctane Ignition's, but very floppy. The pad curls up and slides very easily. On both of mine, the cords pulled out of the control box and required tape to fix.

If you have the money and want a dependable pad, the official RedOctane Ignition 3.0 pad is the best for the money. The hard foam makes a huge difference.
View users profile Send private message
CGRemakes
Basic Member
Basic Member

341. PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Good pad? Reply with quote

Szalkow wrote:
I got a pair of these on eBay. They're somewhat cheaper than Ignitions, the most noticeable difference being the poor quality of the foam insert - it is thicker than the RedOctane Ignition's, but very floppy. The pad curls up and slides very easily. On both of mine, the cords pulled out of the control box and required tape to fix.

If you have the money and want a dependable pad, the official RedOctane Ignition 3.0 pad is the best for the money. The hard foam makes a huge difference.

Can you tell if the pad is the same for both of the links I posted? There are so many variations of the "Stay Cool" pads, especially with 3rd party knock-offs, it's hard to tell them apart. I'm just wondering, since there is a $15 difference. They are both v2.5 foam, and look identical as far as I can tell. Is yours v2.5 or v2.0? They "claim" v2.5 is supposed to be stiffer than v2.0. I'm not sure I am going to be playing it enough to justify spending so much more for the Red Octane pads. It's tough to beat $32 shipped for 2 pads, though I know they are going to be of the same quality as those costing 3 - 4 times as much.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

342. PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At $32 shipped, I'd personally go for it if I was looking for that kind of pad. Do they have a warranty? If so, play on them a ridiculous amount during the first half of the warranty. If they still look and play like new, you just saved an asston of money.
Szalkow
Trick Member
Trick Member

343. PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Good pad? Reply with quote

CGRemakes wrote:

Can you tell if the pad is the same for both of the links I posted? There are so many variations of the "Stay Cool" pads, especially with 3rd party knock-offs, it's hard to tell them apart. I'm just wondering, since there is a $15 difference.

As near as I can tell, these are both the Deluxe 2.5 model, the difference between "Super" and non being debatable. Last I checked, the Super pad had USB compatibility, whereas this one does not. I'm willing to say both sites are selling the same pad.

CGRemakes wrote:
Is yours v2.5 or v2.0? They "claim" v2.5 is supposed to be stiffer than v2.0. I'm not sure I am going to be playing it enough to justify spending so much more for the Red Octane pads. It's tough to beat $32 shipped for 2 pads, though I know they are going to be of the same quality as those costing 3 - 4 times as much.

I personally own some 2.0's but have played on 2.5's occasionally. The foam didn't feel very different, a little stiffer, but there was still some curling. For me, the biggest difference was the resistance, which affects how fast your feet can move and how tiring it is.

Unfortunately I doubt you're going to find the same high-density foam as in the RedOctane pads for anything less than what RO sells them for, but I would say that with the year of enjoyment I got out of the Deluxe 2.0, a slightly-stiffer model for this same low price is a fair bet. The pad will serve you well up to the tens.

Consider using duct tape if you play doubles.

If I sound biased toward the RedOctane Ignition, it's because I recently got three for free and the difference in playability, for me personally, is huge.
CGRemakes
Basic Member
Basic Member

344. PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help. I placed my order, and I think I will be ok with it for my occasional DDR fix. Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be on par with the RO version, but I think it will do for my purpose. If I ever get addicted enough that these pads won't do, I will probably jump up to building my own.

EDIT:

You say there was a difference in resistence. Is v2.5 better or worse?
Szalkow
Trick Member
Trick Member

345. PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5 is better. Denser/more solid foam produces higher resistance, which is good - you can push off and step easier, whereas dancing on a softer pad is more tiring (imagine the difference between running on a track and running in loose sand).

As an added bonus, foam-insert pads are also eligible for the softpad-wood modification, so if the foam ever wears down or you want the pad to slide less, you can fix it up for fairly cheap.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

346. PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szalkow wrote:
imagine the difference between running on a track and running in loose sand.
This is one of the best comparisons I've seen on this site. Well stated.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

347. PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to Pureblue - the only thing about the TX-6000 is, after seeing a few people post about it I went to some of the sites carrying this pad. There are no accessories/replacement parts that I can find. So if your control box goes unless you're good at DIY you may be out of luck. I've seen replacement controllers for TX-1000, 2000 and XPG, but not for the TX-6000

I'd personally (and am trying to save for) a CF and just try it out normally, and maybe do the shirt cardboard "mod" I've seen elsewhere here on the forum to bring the corners up a bit if I felt it needed it.

CGR, we talked via PM ... you know how I feel about gamezforless. They are not a great company and will put you through the wringer if you get the wrong (as I did when I foolishly ordered from them) pads.

I am, as stated, trying to save for a metal pad. I'm 115, don't like to "stomp", current level light/basic but trying to practice a few standard, would like to advance and I think a good metal pad would help. Currently using a Vortz dense foam pad, my blueshark was RMA'd .. another long story ... and I'm just tired of padcrap after a month or so.

I can't afford nor do I want a blueshark metal pad (and when I'm done with them I doubt they'd sell me one) ... so, I'm thinking "vanilla" CF.

Any other suggestions for a metal pad? Weight, price, sensitivity (need high) and durability are tops on the list. And no, I can't build one.
Szalkow
Trick Member
Trick Member

348. PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the BlueShark, CobaltFlux, and TX-series are the only metal pads which are widely regarded as dependable. All other pads have proven to be of poor quality and will break very quickly (often arriving with faulty sensors).

BlueSharks are difficult to get because of myMyBox's slow production time and poor business model, but are overall the best metal pads on the market.

CobaltFlux are terrific for those who don't need bars. It is as sensitive as a BlueShark and equally dependable. The sensors are not recessed arcade-style by default, but for some people that doesn't matter. I think this is currently your best option.

The TX is the BlueShark bar compromise. TXs are not quite as sturdy, with the bar and sensors being slightly more likely to break. They still hold up better than competitors.

Ion, Ninja, Energy, anything else you see on the market is crap. Avoid them. Their sensors are primitive and the design is flimsy. My friend personally stomped his foot clear through the plastic panel on a Ion pad while testing its durability five minutes out of the box. He ended up salvaging some plates, frames, and control/wiring and built his own.

If you're just now playing at standard, you may want to hold off on investing in a metal pad. A high-quality foam pad, or a wood-mod softpad, serves most people well up until ten-foot difficulty. Even just duct-taping your pad in place on the floor can dramatically improve your stamina and consistency.
CGRemakes
Basic Member
Basic Member

349. PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukihime wrote:

CGR, we talked via PM ... you know how I feel about gamezforless. They are not a great company and will put you through the wringer if you get the wrong (as I did when I foolishly ordered from them) pads.

I very much appreciate your warning me, and I hope my experience proves to be different. They do have a high rating on EBay, so I hope your experience is the exception, not the norm. Most complaints I found for them were people that didn't realize they were getting a 3rd party version of the product. So far they have been good, my pads are already on the way, and will be here on Monday. I will post when I try them out.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

350. PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukihime wrote:
to Pureblue - the only thing about the TX-6000 is, after seeing a few people post about it I went to some of the sites carrying this pad. There are no accessories/replacement parts that I can find. So if your control box goes unless you're good at DIY you may be out of luck. I've seen replacement controllers for TX-1000, 2000 and XPG, but not for the TX-6000

I'd personally (and am trying to save for) a CF and just try it out normally, and maybe do the shirt cardboard "mod" I've seen elsewhere here on the forum to bring the corners up a bit if I felt it needed it.

I am, as stated, trying to save for a metal pad. I'm 115, don't like to "stomp", current level light/basic but trying to practice a few standard, would like to advance and I think a good metal pad would help. Currently using a Vortz dense foam pad, my blueshark was RMA'd .. another long story ... and I'm just tired of padcrap after a month or so.

I can't afford nor do I want a blueshark metal pad (and when I'm done with them I doubt they'd sell me one) ... so, I'm thinking "vanilla" CF.

Any other suggestions for a metal pad? Weight, price, sensitivity (need high) and durability are tops on the list. And no, I can't build one.
Honestly, a 3rd party TX-1000-mimic for $70 from ebay will be just as reliable as a CF or a BlueShark, just a bit less durable. I entered the realm of metal pads on a couple of those and they lasted through 3 parties and 7 months of gameplay, as well as a lot of abuse as I was learning the ways of DDR pads. Over a lifetime of DDR, you'll only ever need 2. The first one will teach you everything that can go wrong and how to fix it, so by the time it's destroyed, you'll be able to maintain a second one very well. Such pads are easy to mod, and cheap enough that modding runs very few risks.

Also, wow. At 115, you have to be the oldest DDR player around. Mad props.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

351. PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukihime wrote:

Honestly, a 3rd party TX-1000-mimic for $70 from ebay will be just as reliable as a CF or a BlueShark, just a bit less durable. I entered the realm of metal pads on a couple of those and they lasted through 3 parties and 7 months of gameplay, as well as a lot of abuse as I was learning the ways of DDR pads. Over a lifetime of DDR, you'll only ever need 2. The first one will teach you everything that can go wrong and how to fix it, so by the time it's destroyed, you'll be able to maintain a second one very well. Such pads are easy to mod, and cheap enough that modding runs very few risks.

CGRemakes
Basic Member
Basic Member

352. PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've tested out the pads I got for $32. Overall, can't complain for the price. I'm sure it's not as good as ones costing $60+, but it does the job. Has anyone tried gluing the jigsaw pieces of foam padding together or to a piece of poster board or something to keep them together a little better? I know sometimes foam and glue don't mix well together, so I figured it would be good to ask first.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

353. PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG, no glue and foam don't always mix well. It can be interesting to watch certain foam almost dissolve, but that's not what you're going for, right?

Try using tape - clear packing tape or the type with the strings in it? that's even a little stronger and just on the back side of the pads, tape along the "seams" where the pieces interlock.

I've done that with a better dense foam 6-piece pad (better as in denser foam) and it worked fine.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

354. PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancingTofu(SMC) wrote:
yukihime wrote:

DF, you had me ROFL'ing at the 115 line! OK, I weigh 115lbs, better? E15.gif I am old, just not that old!

I looked at pics of the TX-1000. I gotta say, they look .... "cheesy" and the way the panels look like they're kind of bowed up? doesn't inspire much confidence.

There is one seller on ebay, plegend2005 (who has alot of the same stuff as cyphergames ... same people?) who has what looks like a TX-1000, on ebay calling it "Arcade DDR Revolution Metal Steel Dance Pad". I wrote this seller about this pad and he said it was based on the 1000 but was "better" and "different" but wouldn't elaborate on how.

On cyphergames it's Dance Dance Revolution All-in-ONE Xtreme Arcade Metal Dance Pad (DP-01046). The size is a little different and the "Xtreme" "comes with all ports for PlayStation / PS2, Xbox / PC / GameCube / Wii (optional)" ... they're saying this one is identical to the one at Fry's. Of course there's no Fry's around here to and I doubt they're carrying ddr pads anymore.

Starting to practice more standard, waiting for the replacement MMB dense foam pad (getting very worried as there's some sort of problem with them and Fedex) and currently using a third party Vortz "ignition" pad and the down arrow is just about done for. It'll work for, say, 3 songs then I get nothing for awhile, then it'll work again ... ARGH.

So ... gonna wait on the metal pad thing a bit. Looking at:

the TX-6000 (if I can get more info on specifics - type of sensor, replacement parts i.e. control boxes, panels)
OR a CF
OR if you can get pics up on what you're offering with specs & prices and will deliver E13.gif
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

355. PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the ebay seller means by better is that there's no warranty and they're dirt cheap. That's really all there is to it. What that amounts to is that they're okay pads that you can rip apart and turn into good pads if you get tired of them. E10.gif

The panels are made of a cheap acrylic, and flex in order to trigger a response. For this reason, they are prone to cracking. However, you can fix this by tearing off the crap aluminum they come with and gluing on a 6"x6" square of 30ga. steel instead. (If you want; I can cut four 7"x7" rectangles and mail them to you for $3 or $4 so you don't have to go get a big sheet and tin snips when all you need are a couple little squares)

A bottle of crazy glue would cost an additional $3. After all that, you've tripled the value of your pads. biggrin.gif
CGRemakes
Basic Member
Basic Member

356. PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukihime wrote:
CG, no glue and foam don't always mix well. It can be interesting to watch certain foam almost dissolve, but that's not what you're going for, right?

Try using tape - clear packing tape or the type with the strings in it? that's even a little stronger and just on the back side of the pads, tape along the "seams" where the pieces interlock.

I've done that with a better dense foam 6-piece pad (better as in denser foam) and it worked fine.

That's what I thought. I thought of the packing tape option as well, but wanted to get some different feedback. Probably cheaper to use tape than glue, anyway. Thanks for the help!
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

357. PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancingTofu(SMC) wrote:
What the ebay seller means by better is that there's no warranty and they're dirt cheap. That's really all there is to it. What that amounts to is that they're okay pads that you can rip apart and turn into good pads if you get tired of them. E10.gif

The panels are made of a cheap acrylic, and flex in order to trigger a response. For this reason, they are prone to cracking. However, you can fix this by tearing off the crap aluminum they come with and gluing on a 6"x6" square of 30ga. steel instead. (If you want; I can cut four 7"x7" rectangles and mail them to you for $3 or $4 so you don't have to go get a big sheet and tin snips when all you need are a couple little squares)

A bottle of crazy glue would cost an additional $3. After all that, you've tripled the value of your pads. biggrin.gif

Hmm, so what I'm thinking now after reading the above and looking at your designs (which are awesome btw) ... is something along the lines of the Plegend TX-1000 "knockoff"? that has the flat panels instead of the normal bowed ones ... but with the sheet metal sensors instead of the foil and copper (just don't like the whole foil idea). I didn't know you could crazy glue metal to plastic!

Something like that I think might make a good first metal pad. Not too big, not too heavy, sensitive!, durable and not too expensive.

Edit! ... just stumbled across this at Channelbeat: http://www.channelbeat.com/products/parts/dance_dance_revolution_parts/237.html

Has anyone tried this one? Price is right at $69 (don't know about shipping from China though, ugh) ... and they have replacement arrows - http://www.channelbeat.com/products/parts/dance_dance_revolution_parts/117.html bute they are plexiglass and they're $11.95, min order 4 - is that $11.95 for 4 OR $11.95 each drool.gif what I don't see are replacement control boxes (though I'm not sure if this one actually uses one? - pic shows a cord going to a PS2, but no "box) ... and I'm not quite sure if this thing is actually a TX? or what. It's approximately 35x35 inches and weighs about 41 lbs (as close as I can guess from mm to inches and kg to pounds).

I'm sure I'd be taking you up, DF, on those sheet metal panels for it E13.gif, I bet you anything it's foil under those arrows with the copper plate thingie on the bottom.

So, if anyone has any info, I'd sure appreciate it E1.gif
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

358. PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukihime wrote:

I ended up ordering a Cobalt Flux, but thanks for your help. thumb.gif
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

359. PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukihime wrote:

Edit! ... just stumbled across this at Channelbeat: http://www.channelbeat.com/products/parts/dance_dance_revolution_parts/237.html

Has anyone tried this one? Price is right at $69 (don't know about shipping from China though, ugh) ... and they have replacement arrows - http://www.channelbeat.com/products/parts/dance_dance_revolution_parts/117.html
ahowhnwpb20hegdb eMH
EBEAS0935NH09jeyua0ne9n4yae0pn9ajeir;h;aeboq35h09wg;aseh9[jh5jqp0hu[UJHNIQJ;A

Someone buy one of these. WOW. These have more potential for $70 than I've ever seen in anything.

Edit:
Quote:

* one piece preassembled, all metal construction.
Either total BS or this is a ridiculously good deal.
Quote:

* select and start buttons is on the top of platform.
That's what those little circles on the bottom right panel of the pad are; so now control box; no damaging the chip every time you press the up arrow.

Quote:

880x880x60mm

880mm = 35.2". That's a really weird size; it's probably 780mm and someone just measured wrong.
60mm = 2.4". THICK. If this weighs about 20kg (45lbs) and is that thick, I doubt it's solid wood; it's either a wood frame or an aluminum frame.

Also, those replacement panels are 3/8" thick arcade panels; I'm not sure they'd fit these pads, but they're worth the $12 each easily.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 18 of 23

Jump to: