Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Pad Arena Thread:Which pad is better? Ask/Find out here!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discoman
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: The Pad Arena Thread:Which pad is better? Ask/Find out here! Reply with quote

As I said I would in the Reorganization Thread, here is the Pad Arena Thread.

Here, feel free to ask questions and comment on the various superiorities of some pads over other pads. I don't see this being a problem, but do your best not to flame.

Try not to ask a question already in the same thread. This should be your catch-all reference to which pad you find better.

Discussion of non-manufacturer pad retailers is also welcome here, although if it is not on a comparative basis you likely ought to go into the individual threads for the pads.

I encourage and entreat BC veterans to keep an eye on this thread and help out the newer users who have brought questions into this thread.

More to be added when I have more time.

Last edited by Discoman on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total
View users profile Send private message
AA Bob
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I like the thread title, you might want to change it to something more eye-catching, like "Which pad is better? Ask here!" Newbies don't always check the stickies too carefully. E13.gif
So um, is it bad that awhile ago I was watching Family Guy, and when Quagmire came on, I thought something to the effect of "Whoa, It's AA Bob!" (I don't remember if the exact thought was "It's AA Bob" or "It's AA Bob's avatar", but I don't think it matters in this case)?
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try collecting some data and making a comparison chart if I have some free time in the new future.
I'll put it right here.

If I don't get around to it and someone else does, just send me the picture and I can still post it right here, third post. E15.gif
primetime34
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread allows me the chance to ask a good question:

I have a $20 pad from Walmart...it is a Pelican. I am moving towards doing 6-7 step songs right now but feel very hampered by the pad. Here is the question:

Do I do a soft pad mod on this thing, and will doing that give me decent results compared to harder pads??? I don't really think I want to spend the huge amount of money to buy a CF, but is that the only way to be able to pass 9-10 footers???
TPF.Catch22
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

primetime34 wrote:

Do I do a soft pad mod on this thing, and will doing that give me decent results compared to harder pads??? I don't really think I want to spend the huge amount of money to buy a CF, but is that the only way to be able to pass 9-10 footers???

Go for an ignition, but don't purchase it from eBay. Basically it's the best option for a moderate level player like yourself.

I played on a RedOctane Ignition 3.1 for about 10 months, and in that time I went from 5-6 footers on DDR to many 11's and a few 12's on ITG.
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

primetime34 wrote:
This thread allows me the chance to ask a good question:

I have a $20 pad from Walmart...it is a Pelican. I am moving towards doing 6-7 step songs right now but feel very hampered by the pad. Here is the question:

I feel kind of weird contradicting TPF, but I'd say definitely mod it. a 4'x4' 1/2" fir plywood board costs $16 at Lowes (I think), and I can vouch for them being solid. Then, there are a lot of methods people have used, but the easiest way to go is to just duct tape the pad to the board. I can clear most 10's like that with about the same scores I used to get on my tx1000's before they died, which is saying a lot, since I NEVER play on softpads. There's a way to mod it with linoleum that I've seen which apparently is better, but I don't really see why.
DarkCore
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, go with the softpad - it's good enough until you start getting into 11's +. I played on a modded softpad and I passed Charlene, Bend Your Mind, and stuff like that. It'd be fine for you if you were only going to do 6's - 8's on it; you don't need to get a $400.00 metal pad right away. =P
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first 3 AAA's were on my old softpad, as well as my first 50 SDG's.
That was unmodded. I was playing 9's for 3 months before I modded it.
primetime34
Basic Member
Basic Member

8. PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going the softpad mod route, now the only question is which softpad mod to use???? This is the one I'm leaning towards:
http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/softpadmod/#_Toc71480697
unless there is one that is easier/more effective?
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

primetime34 wrote:
I think I'm going the softpad mod route, now the only question is which softpad mod to use???? This is the one I'm leaning towards:
http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/softpadmod/#_Toc71480697
unless there is one that is easier/more effective?
That's the one you want. =)
videoCWK
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA Bob wrote:
Although I like the thread title, you might want to change it to something more eye-catching, like "Which pad is better? Ask here!" Newbies don't always check the stickies too carefully. E13.gif

You mean, "Newbies usually almost always never check the stickies"
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

11. PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

videoCWK 2ndMIX wrote:
AA Bob wrote:

You mean, "Newbies usually almost always never check the stickies"

Quoted for truth.

Title changed as per suggestion.
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking into metal pads, but am a bit torn..

Anyone have suggestion about which gives the best arcade experience?

i.e. lowered buttons etc.

I've been thinking of either a Tx-1000/or 2000, or the new RO pad.

EDIT: does anyone know of another acrade style pad w/ a bar that is at(or near) the price below?

Building one is a possibility, but only as a last resorty....ummm...

price range: up to about $250 US.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Trexxen
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At your price range, I'd say go for a nexen - it's simply the best currently for that price. ($200 plus shipping) Or, alternatively, wait for the DT series of pads to come out and be tested. If those turn out as promised, as I am almost certain they will, they'll be almost as good and a ton cheaper at $50 per pad plus shipping.

Hope this helped!
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenchi50 wrote:
I'm looking into metal pads, but am a bit torn..

Anyone have suggestion about which gives the best arcade experience?

i.e. lowered buttons etc.

I've been thinking of either a Tx-1000/or 2000, or the new RO pad.

EDIT: does anyone know of another acrade style pad w/ a bar that is at(or near) the price below?

Building one is a possibility, but only as a last resorty....ummm...

price range: up to about $250 US.
The tx1000's and RO's are about as arcade accurate as a dualshock 2. I have no experience with tx2000's, but I think they're a bit better than the 1000's. I'm not sure if they have a bar or not, but I wouldn't recommend you use it if they do. Commercial homepads are known for horrible bars.

If you're a handyman in the slightest, you may want to try your hand at a homebrew. There are lots of tutorials already made, a great thread on lighting pads, you don't have to worry about the shipping costs, and you'll always know how to fix your pad! I've seen some pads in here that I would appraise a fair market value to of over $1000, although most cost under $200.

Also, as trob said, Dancing Tofu Gaming should be a great way to go once we get the ball rollin'. =)
DarkCore
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancingTofu wrote:
Also, as trob said, Dancing Tofu Gaming should be a great way to go once we get the ball rollin'. =)
Plus not to mention, you can customize it with whatever the hell you want, and not be charged as much as a CF even though it has more. =P
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkCore wrote:
DancingTofu wrote:
Plus not to mention, you can customize it with whatever the hell you want, and not be charged as much as a CF even though it has more. =P
Then again, you can do that even more so with a homebrew. E15.gif
Darkshine
Basic Member
Basic Member

17. PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I wondering what the best metallic pad that comes with a bar that is 250 American dollars or less. I understand that it is probably cheaper simply to make my own pad; however, I've never made anything in my lfe, so, that's out of the picture.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the DT200 and DT600DX are the ONLY pads with bars for $250 or less.

You might be able to find something cheaper on eBay or something, but I doubt it would be anywhere near reliable. xP
Darkshine
Basic Member
Basic Member

19. PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the bars relatively sturdy? Also, if they aren't, is there something relatively cheap I can use to reinforce said bars?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: