Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

GUIDE: The Correct Way to Light Your Homepad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

80. PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szalkow wrote:
I've been tooling away on my electronics the last couple of days. I originally thought about using a DPST switch (basic on-off switch) to disconnect the power source from the rest of the circuit when I wanted to use the pad without lights and without a phantom power drain. Instead, I've decided to use a female socket with an external DC adapter - meaning the pad has a "POWAR GOEZ IN HEER" plug socket like on a laptop computer. This means you can disconnect the power pack entirely and it will also allow the pad to work without the lights. Anyone else tried this? E1.gif
It seems like the obvious, safe option, but most of the people I've worked with/observed/been have been electromaniacs who get their kicks splicing wires and frying controllers. E15.gif

Yeah, a plug's a great idea. I think someone a while ago talked about using a computer power source for their pad, but that would be excessive unless you were using 80 or more lights. (lollerkaykz)
devosbi
Trick Member
Trick Member

81. PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szalkow wrote:
I've been tooling away on my electronics the last couple of days. I originally thought about using a DPST switch (basic on-off switch) to disconnect the power source from the rest of the circuit when I wanted to use the pad without lights and without a phantom power drain. Instead, I've decided to use a female socket with an external DC adapter - meaning the pad has a "POWAR GOEZ IN HEER" plug socket like on a laptop computer. This means you can disconnect the power pack entirely and it will also allow the pad to work without the lights. Anyone else tried this? E1.gif

That's exactly what I'm doing, Ive got a little DPST switch mounted on the side, and a female DC socket for power, Also for safety the lighting system is completely isolated by a relay board. I did that because i dont like high currents being connected to the controller and being protected by a petty little diode. The lighting is powered by a 1000ma Power Supply running at 12v DC, this is connected to the relay board (low voltage relays), there is other protection on the relays to protect the circuit from the surge created by the relays, and the lighting for each panel has its own dedicated relay. If the relays give me hell, i can replace them with MOSFET's or some other transistor.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Frosty555
Trick Member
Trick Member

82. PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancingTofu(SMC) wrote:
Yeah, a plug's a great idea. I think someone a while ago talked about using a computer power source for their pad, but that would be excessive unless you were using 80 or more lights. (lollerkaykz)

That's an awesome idea, wish I had thought of it! Only problem is it would look ugly sitting outside the pad, and I think ATX power supplies are a little too thick to fit *inside* the pad. But perhaps either a laptop power block, or one of those slimline desktop power supplies, like the ones used for those minitowers, would fit.

Still though, the 5v rails of a power supply are real dangerous, they can put out a LOT of current for a short period, even if it's only 5v or 12v. The plugs are all designed to protect you, but if you're clipping those off you have to be careful.

----

yes, yes I am waking up this dead old thread but it's a sticky so E10.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

83. PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to use your lights setup Frosty, it's a great howto guide you put on this thread, but I will use those bulbs from the front car lights, I think they need 12V to work, but not really sure about the amperes needed.
View users profile Send private message
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: