Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Full HDD issues...

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Full HDD issues... Reply with quote

Long story short, our HDD on our ITG 2 dedicab is about 95% full, but that is because there is a backup of the song folder saved on the HDD that is not used by the game during play.

It may just be my perception, but I feel like I'm having to hit ALL the stepcharts a little late. I'm not talking about just our custom songs, I'm also referring to the official chats too. My friends insists that I'm imagining things and that a full HDD wouldn't slow down the songs in the game.

Am I just crazy, or has anyone else experienced problems like this when they filled up their HDD?

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
ranatalus
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a full or near-full HDD can cause lag issues

why is the backup folder on that drive? if the drive dies you still lose everything
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take about 20% of the songs you have on there off and see what happens.
View users profile Send private message
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranatalus wrote:
a full or near-full HDD can cause lag issues

why is the backup folder on that drive? if the drive dies you still lose everything

I completely agree. I told'em the same thing, but he insisted in case "the new stuff doesn't work, we can copy over the old files easily". That's all fine and good, but once the machine was up and everything seemed OK, he never went back to delete the old stuff. =\

ranatalus
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell whoever owns that machine the following:

Keeping the backup on the same drive is the worst thing you can do. The likelihood of JUST the production side being affected (i.e. the files you actually play) while the backup stored on the same drive still being viable AND being able to pull those files up by the time you notice the drive is dying is practically none.

Go out to Microcenter/BestBuy/SOMEWHERE, get any IDE drive (Microcenter's website has 160GB drives for $40) and copy the existing drive over AFTER deleting that backup. Then, put that drive somewhere cold and dry so that when/if your machine's drive actually dies, you will have an immediate backup available to you and you won't have to wait around for someone to download a decrypted copy of ITG2/OpenITG after pulling the backup from the bad drive fails, because I can almost assure you it will.

ps i work in IT for a living so i know what i am talking about; if he wants someone to tell him vocally i can PM you my phone number and he can call me any time haha
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who made this backup isn't dumb, he just got lazy. The backup wasn't there in case of drive failure, it was in case the new set of files we put on the machine weren't working. Then all we'd have to do is delete those and use the backups already on the drive.

I do agree that creating a HDD backup is incredibly important, do you have any tutorials for doing this with an ITG2 cabinet. I know how to make a copy in Windows, but obviously ITG2 isn't running a Windows OS.

ranatalus
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a decent tutorial if you can take the time to set up the router: http://boxorroxors.net/tutorials.php?mode=view&t=950

the best way to do this is probably to copy the entire drive over to your windows machine, connect the new hard drive to your machine either internally (if it's a desktop) or through an external enclosure (desktop or laptop), format it, then copy everything over

there are other ways to do it but this is probably the simplest to explain, haha
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. I'll look into this.

DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big is your HDA5 partition? Mine's 10 GB and we have 1.5 GB free. I'm wondering when I'll be "near full."
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANSWER ME
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVE101 wrote:
ANSWER ME

...............no

Actually, I think it has less than 1.5 GB free.

DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think we had late steps when I played today. The weird thing is that most HDDs are either 40 or 80 gigs and only 15 GB is partition to hda1-hda5, which means there's either 25 or 65 GB free on any machine. I checked today and we have 65. I just need to figure out how to partition it to hda5 so we can have unlimited everything.
TheCosmicPope
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full HD will not 'cause "late steps," it causes lag. There is a difference.

Late steps would mean the song plays and the arrows scroll normally with no visual problems, yet the syncing seems to be off where you have to step after the beat to obtain a Fantastic. This would be related to the global offset of the machine (if all charts are noticeably late).

Lag would mean the player can notice visual "hiccups," where the arrows AND music seem to momentarily stop and start again, making timing very difficult.

And having a backup on the drive is just dumb. The person who hacks your machine should keep a backup of all his files and changes on his computer and make sure to backup files onto his USB before making changes (such as to metrics and Static.ini files).
View users profile Send private message
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: