Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Roxor lawsuit settled, Konami inherits ITG franchise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfman Jake
Trick Member
Trick Member

240. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skillz187 wrote:
i dont know why everyone's getting so worked up for. they're just games. the reason you play a game is to have fun. and if they're not gonna produce another itg, fine. if you really pledged your alliegance to itg that much and dont wanna play ddr, then hey, theres a bunch of other games out there for you to play. no one put a gun to your head and said "play itg or ddr, or i'll kill you". and as far as score tracking, if you really care that much about your score that you have to go and show everyone, do what everyone did in the extreme days; take a picture.

skillz187 wins.

Last edited by Wolfman Jake on Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
pags
Trick Member
Trick Member

241. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skillz187 wrote:
no one put a gun to your head and said "play itg or ddr, or i'll kill you"..

everything about your post was true except for this.

why do you think someone as goodlooking and normal like me would even bother playing dancing games?

skillz losez
Loogaroo
Trick Member
Trick Member

242. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfman Jake wrote:
GG EA wrote:
Wolfman Jake wrote:
The "Easy/Medium/Difficult" (there's no difficulty sort called "Expert") categories are there to provide a default song list, catered to the indicated difficulty level, that is about a third as large as the total song list when "All Music" is displayed. This helps novice players more quickly find songs, instead of scrolling through 300 song every time. You don't like this? Select "All Music." It's not that hard, and it's mechanically no different that moving the cursor from Beginner to Heavy on EXTREME.

But why is an "All Music" option even necessary?

I told you why. Read again.

It kinda defeats the purpose of finding a song more quickly when the song you're looking for isn't present at that level, though.

In any event, this thread wasn't meant as an indictment on DDR SuperNova. You like it, I don't. Let's move on.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Wolfman Jake
Trick Member
Trick Member

243. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG EA wrote:
In any event, this thread wasn't meant as an indictment on DDR SuperNova. You like it, I don't. Let's move on.

Smart man.
DragonWolf_
Trick Member
Trick Member

244. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skillz187 wrote:
i dont know why everyone's getting so worked up for. they're just games. the reason you play a game is to have fun. and if they're not gonna produce another itg, fine. if you really pledged your alliegance to itg that much and dont wanna play ddr, then hey, theres a bunch of other games out there for you to play. no one put a gun to your head and said "play itg or ddr, or i'll kill you". and as far as score tracking, if you really care that much about your score that you have to go and show everyone, do what everyone did in the extreme days; take a picture.

Some of us play ITG everyday. This IS a big deal to many of us. Dismissing this as nothing because you aren't a big fan of dance games is incredibly insulting to those of us who are.

I like playing fun 10 footers. DDR can’t give me that. There is no going back for me. If Konami kills my favourite game I will probably cry. If you think this is nothing then GTFO. Some of us love ITG.
View users profile Send private message
cfusionpm
Trick Member
Trick Member

245. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toady007 wrote:
cfusionpm wrote:
the hardcore itg players also do not in any way make up a majority of dance game players (i'd rougly estimate <1% in the US). those who would go through the time and effort to make or put songs on a flash drive; even less. i think your perspective is skewed a bit.

Hold your horses there, partner. I never said that hardcore ITG players make up a large fraction of the market as a whole. One percent is probably accurate.

However, ITG AC was successful because of that hardcore fanbase. You have 15 hardcore players in an area (I consider "hardcore" to be just 3+ hours a week), and you have a machine that is constantly making money. To ignore the power the hardcore fanbase of ITG had on the arcade market is to ignore the reason why the game was successful at all. Those hardcore players supported the machines enough that it gave Roxor reason to expand. The ITG home version wasn't successful because ITG was designed around the hardcore DDR/ITG fanbase and is a niche audience out of a niche market and didn't have the opportunity for repeat business.

it was "success" much like snakes on a plane was a "success." they both hit their fanbases very well, and actually catered specifically to them. but neither seem to hit that mass appeal factor. snakes on a plane did horribly in theaters compared to the other big summer movies; much like ITG has, overal, never gotten that universal popularity that DDR had/has. even disregarding home versions entirely, this still holds true for arcades.
Contributor
Contributor

246. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonWolf_ wrote:
If Konami kills my favourite game I will probably cry. If you think this is nothing then GTFO. Some of us love ITG.

If you're that into ITG, than surely you knew that this was inevitable. You cannot simply copy a game from a company that's infinity-times your size and expect to do what you like with it. The only fault that lies with Konami here is that they didn't get on it sooner.

SuperNOVA had problems, this is true. The song edits and lousy licence choices for the home version, in addition to the online-only songs, really bring it down for me. I also think Konami needs to make more use of the Challenge difficulty, and have more songs that at least reach 8 or 9. However, Extreme US was a joke of a DDR game with all the mistakes it made, and they were all corrected by the next mix. I believe the same can happen for whatever comes after SuperNOVA.

And yes, the scoring is now percentage with a billion decimals after it. Every step is worth the same, and missing does not detract from your score anymore. I've seen 94.8's that deliver A's, etc. Plus they finally killed the FC requirement for AA, but left the FC 'star' (rings) in as well.

Plus, I absolutely love it when ITG kiddies scream about bullshit hard charts. LOVE it. The fanbase has been crying for harder stuff for years, and Konami gives it to you with a bucket and it's 'not good enough' because it's different (ie not a copy of ITG, which seems to be what was expected). Hands are fine, mines are fine, but OMG STOPS OHSHI-

ITG would have gotten to this point sooner or later and it would have been fine and dandy then! Chaos' stops are 'done wrong' because they weren't going to halfass it on you. Chaos and FAXX going green/purple halfway through is effectively "surprise Flat!", and also intentional. You wanted a challenge and Konami gave it to you; you may need to learn another skill beyond "cling to bar until it breaks" but that's your problem. If the next game's boss songs are toned down because of this, you'll be the ones to blame, but God knows you'll complain about it anyway.

If there is to be a fault for these obscene difficulties, it is that the 10 step difficulty now means nothing but 'wtf', as it has at least three tiers of difficulty in it now.
~Uiru

"I just think everytime [Uiru] touches a keyboard, something epic comes out." ~Ω
View users profile Send private message Send email
pags
Trick Member
Trick Member

247. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uiru wrote:
The fanbase has been crying for harder stuff for years, and Konami gives it to you with a bucket and it's 'not good enough' because it's different (ie not a copy of ITG, which seems to be what was expected). Hands are fine, mines are fine, but OMG STOPS OHSHI-

ITG would have gotten to this point sooner or later and it would have been fine and dandy then! Chaos' stops are 'done wrong' because they weren't going to halfass it on you. Chaos and FAXX going green/purple halfway through is effectively "surprise Flat!", and also intentional. You wanted a challenge and Konami gave it to you; you may need to learn another skill beyond "cling to bar until it breaks" but that's your problem. If the next game's boss songs are toned down because of this, you'll be the ones to blame, but God knows you'll complain about it anyway.

If there is to be a fault for these obscene difficulties, it is that the 10 step difficulty now means nothing but 'wtf', as it has at least three tiers of difficulty in it now.
~Uiru

pandemonium is much harder than chaos and faxx and is still a legit and reasonable chart.

no one complained that chaos was too hard because of the stops. chaos is an 8 on c mods. it's just that the stops in chaos are fcking retarded. whenever there isn't a distinct rhythm coming from a snare or something else, there is a stop. that's all they did. whenever there are no distinct beats, they add a stop afterwards. The bass and treble of the song are still playing, it's just that the stops are coordinated to one specific rhythm/"instrument" in the song. That would be like adding a stop after every 7th 3note triple in wanna do, just because the synth in the song stops playing for half a second. sure it makes sense if you think about it, but it isn't reasonable at all. atleast in stop and go the majority of the stops all occur when the music in the song stops completely. and in many other itg songs, the majority of stops occur when the music stops (clockwork genesis).

faxx isn't even that hard. on 1.5x reverse, yea it's hard to read. the only complaint about the purple and green note syndrome is just because it's unecessary and it isn't appealing to people's eyeballs. it just doesn't look nice. it's still easy, it's just dumb. it doesn't make it harder at all, it just makes it resemble poop better than normal colored arrows would.

the challenge stepcharts are bullshit because they don't go along with the music at all. they just threw in stupid crossovers at 360bpm going to nothing. it's doable, but it isn't fun. atleast most of vertex^2 goes along to the bass or something or something that actually EXISTS. vertex^2 is more than just clinging to the bar till it breaks. it's also almost as dumb as faxx oni or hdv oni.
eluyes
Trick Member
Trick Member

248. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR= lots of jumps
ITG= lots of stamina

DDR+ITG= TDDG??

hahahaha wow that was stupid

we don't have any ITG machines anywhere so I don't care.
But this might go into a better direction
Trick Member
Trick Member

249. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG EA wrote:
But why is an "All Music" option even necessary? Why can't someone choose Easy/Medium/Difficult and then pick from all of the songs, rather than be stuck with the songs Konami thinks are suitable for them? Every song has at least three stepcharts, right? So why not just make all the songs available all the time rather than hide that option behind three difficulty levels?

Because some of us, when we were still newbies playing on Beginner, accidentally selected one of the Oni-only songs, lost our credit and nearly crapped our pants. I still don't know why Konami couldn't at least include Beginner charts for those songs to eliminate this problem (and why Konami didn't include the new "fleshed-out" difficulty charts from Ultramix songpacks for Oni-only songs like Celebrate Nite Euro Trance and Wild Rush FNSMM).

To write something actually on-topic with the original post: I'm a fan of both series, and even though Konami is now legally entitled to do whatever they want with ITG, I hope they will consider the ill will they will engender among many people -- myself included -- if they just kill the franchise off. Given how deep ITG3 was in development, Konami would likely turn at least some profit from it.
Trick Member
Trick Member

250. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally believe that this sucks a lot.

DDR and ITG are very different games with different playing styles. I would've liked to keep both games seperate since it would cater to different tastes.

I really hope konami doesn't just do away with ITG's playing style.
The potential you'll be that you'll never see
The promises you'll only make
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
skillz187
Trick Member
Trick Member

251. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonWolf_ wrote:
skillz187 wrote:

Some of us play ITG everyday. This IS a big deal to many of us. Dismissing this as nothing because you aren't a big fan of dance games is incredibly insulting to those of us who are.

I like playing fun 10 footers. DDR can’t give me that. There is no going back for me. If Konami kills my favourite game I will probably cry. If you think this is nothing then GTFO. Some of us love ITG.

ok first off, i've been playing ddr for the last 4 and a half years. i think that makes me at least somewhat of a fan of dancing games. and i said dancing games, i started out playing ddr, then i began playing pump along side it, then itg, mainly playing ddr and itg. with that being said, even though i've been playing for a long time, and for two of those years devoting alot of my time to playing (mostly cause i worked at a bowling alley that had ddr and itg and i played for free), and yet i still recognize that this is just a game. a game mind you that began by the company that makes metal gear solid. we aren't talking about a way of life here, so im sorry if im insulting you by saying this, because really, thats not what im trying to do, but if you care so deeply about a video game to the point where you'll cry over it, something is up. seriously.

edit: and btw, if i wasn't a big fan of dancing games why would i be a member of a site devoted to a dancing game for the past two years?
Trick Member
Trick Member

252. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonWolf_ wrote:

Some of us play ITG everyday. This IS a big deal to many of us.

You might want to re-evaluate your life.

It is just a game. Think about the time and money you are wasting. Every day? Come on. Do something a little more productive in your life.
Synaesthesia
Trick Member
Trick Member

253. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about the stop gimmick is that if ITG eventually used it in such great abundance as Chaos, it's not that bad of a loss because there's more than enough 9s and 10s to play anyway.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
AA Bob
Trick Member
Trick Member

254. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skillz187 wrote:
i dont know why everyone's getting so worked up for. they're just games. the reason you play a game is to have fun. and if they're not gonna produce another itg, fine. if you really pledged your alliegance to itg that much and dont wanna play ddr, then hey, theres a bunch of other games out there for you to play.

But there are people who like both games for different reasons, and would be nearly as disappointed as the ITG fanboys if production of ITG was stopped.

Uiru wrote:
Plus, I absolutely love it when ITG kiddies scream about bullshit hard charts. LOVE it. The fanbase has been crying for harder stuff for years, and Konami gives it to you with a bucket and it's 'not good enough' because it's different (ie not a copy of ITG, which seems to be what was expected). Hands are fine, mines are fine, but OMG STOPS OHSHI-

I almost didn't reply to this, but I've typed out this argument a lot so I'm getting faster at it now... E15.gif
The quality of Faxx, Chaos, and HDV's charts is below that of most ITG Expert charts. I know you can't see that at all, because you have very little experience with ITG. But trust me. I'm not a fanboy of any kind, and I like playing hard charts, but I really dislike Chaos, HDVO, and Felm (Faxx is so-so). And not because I have any trouble passing them.

pags wrote:
DragonWolf_ wrote:

It is just a game. Think about the time and money you are wasting. Every day? Come on. Do something a little more productive in your life.

Yeah, anything that isn't productive is a waste of time, regardless of how entertaining it is. Good thing you're out curing cancer instead of posting on a video game message board. I also assume you've never watched TV, listened to music, or played any kind of game for a significant amount of time.
So um, is it bad that awhile ago I was watching Family Guy, and when Quagmire came on, I thought something to the effect of "Whoa, It's AA Bob!" (I don't remember if the exact thought was "It's AA Bob" or "It's AA Bob's avatar", but I don't think it matters in this case)?
pags
Trick Member
Trick Member

255. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA Bob wrote:

pags wrote:
DragonWolf_ wrote:

Yeah, anything that isn't productive is a waste of time, regardless of how entertaining it is. Good thing you're out curing cancer instead of posting on a video game message board. I also assume you've never watched TV, listened to music, or played any kind of game for a significant amount of time.

Wow, I had no idea you knew me so well. You know me better than my mother.

Also, it's midnight, and I happen to be on my computer finishing typing a rough draft for english because I'm in college. When there is nothing to do (and I mean nothing), you might catch me napping or watching TV or both (yes I can do both, it's a skill I have acquired over the years). But, honestly, there is so much to do up here, I'm always doing something. Whether it's homework or partying or getting breakfast, lunch, or dinner with a friend, going out to a movie with kids on my floor, shopping for poopy for my room, etc, I'm usually doing something somewhat productive 70-80% of my day while I'm awake. Playing ITG everyday (which, if he wasn't exaggerating, is 7 days a week every week) is excessive, just as it is with people who are addicted to WoW. Watching TV for half an hour or an hour inbetween classes or early in the afternoon on weekends before the big football game is just lax time. Playing ITG everyday is excessive. There are better things to spend your time doing than playing ITG every single day. EVERY. DAY.

Think about it. Everyday? wow.

Last edited by pags on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total
LilRabbitToy
Trick Member
Trick Member

256. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I haven't posted anything since the last time I was wondering how to get Fuwa Fuwa on my DDR EXTREME JP.

Anyways, DDR AND ITG are both great games. I've been playing ddr for like 6 years now, and when ITG came out, I was skeptical about it. I saw it at the Glendale Galleria, and at that time, it was just an upgraded version of DDR EX, so i was like wtf. When I played it the difficulty was surprisingly more challenging than DDR.

Well, over the years, I compared DDR and ITG into different categories?

DDR = Freestyling, and playing for fun.
ITG = Hardcore, play this only if you want more of a challenge.

You don't see much folks freestyling on ITG, but you do on DDR. ITG, I say you get more for your money since the songs are longer...

Okay i am totally off topic. Basically, (like what someone said in the previous posts) people started playing ITG cus DDR was becoming too easy. I don't know what I am saying and this is not going anywhere so I will just stop right now.
AA Bob
Trick Member
Trick Member

257. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pags wrote:
Whether it's homework or partying or getting breakfast, lunch, or dinner with a friend, going out to a movie with kids on my floor, shopping for poopy for my room, etc, I'm usually doing something somewhat productive 70-80% of my day.

Wait, partying and going to movies are productive activities? But playing a video game isn't? When you go to the movies and walk past the people on the DDR/ITG machine, it must be nice knowing that you're being productive and they aren't.

If someone plays every day, and it isn't causing them to do badly in school or at their job (or having any real negative effect at all), who cares? Who are you to tell them that they should be doing something else? Also, when did exercise become classified as a non-productive activity?
So um, is it bad that awhile ago I was watching Family Guy, and when Quagmire came on, I thought something to the effect of "Whoa, It's AA Bob!" (I don't remember if the exact thought was "It's AA Bob" or "It's AA Bob's avatar", but I don't think it matters in this case)?
pags
Trick Member
Trick Member

258. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: ok, nvm, I just realized that this doesn't even deserve an argument.

Why?

It's a videogame.
skillz187
Trick Member
Trick Member

259. PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pags wrote:
edit: ok, nvm, I just realized that this doesn't even deserve an argument.

Why?

It's a videogame.

though i was referring to your original statement with what im about to write, i guess this applies as well.

thank you, thats what i've been trying to get at.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 13 of 26

Jump to: