Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Roxor lawsuit settled, Konami inherits ITG franchise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AA Bob
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrinceOfPersia wrote:
Quote:
Konami do not own the In The Groove franchise

Cutriss wrote:
Konami will be taking the In The Groove franchise.

So um, is it bad that awhile ago I was watching Family Guy, and when Quagmire came on, I thought something to the effect of "Whoa, It's AA Bob!" (I don't remember if the exact thought was "It's AA Bob" or "It's AA Bob's avatar", but I don't think it matters in this case)?
View users profile Send private message
Dawgbowl
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like, LAUGH AT THEM... HAHAHAHA

"ITG is so much cooler man, its like, really cool... Like duckeemuk he's so cool" (No offense to dukamok, I dont know him, but I know alot of people that rave about him and dont even know him... )

the ITG community is too, I dunno, pathetic? I've just noticed DDR players primarily are more relaxed and more understanding... ITG players are just like "Zomg scores scores scores, I hate DDR"

where as we generally dont waste 100 pages ranting about how much ITG sucks (no it doesn't suck, I play ITG, Just prefer DDR more)

Im all for songs like...
One False 5.1.1.
Honey Punch Princess (I can only imagine how amazing this would be)
lol...

ITG has some good music and bad, like DDR... either way Konami will end up sending ITG under, accidently of course. They'll think they are improving it, like supernova and not realize their taking away what we like about it.

I like supernova even if it isn't an extreme upgrade with more songs which is what everyone wanted.

*Waits for DTX*
Basic Member
Basic Member

22. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA Bob wrote:
PrinceOfPersia wrote:
Quote:
Konami do not own the In The Groove franchise

Cutriss wrote:
Konami will be taking the In The Groove franchise.

Does it actually say that in the press release however?
Asymptote
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toady007 wrote:

Ahh yes.... It's Tux Racer.

Riiiiiiiidg...err... Tuuuuuuuuuuuuux Raaaaaacer!
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrinceOfPersia wrote:

Does it actually say (Konami's taking In the Groove) in the press release however?

The Press Release wrote:

Under the terms of the settlement, Konami has acquired the intellectual property rights to the In The Groove(R) dance game franchise.

I'll admit that I'm not a lawyer, but that would tell me "Yes it does."

My Recall- Now with actual, real arcade scores! O.o
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
AA Bob
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrinceOfPersia wrote:

Does it actually say that in the press release however?

Yes:
Quote:
Under the terms of the settlement, Konami has acquired the intellectual property rights to the In The Groove(R) dance game franchise.

Dawgbowl wrote:
"ITG is so much cooler man, its like, really cool... Like duckeemuk he's so cool"

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "ZOMG KEVBO IS SO COOL HES LIEK THE BEST EVAR"
So um, is it bad that awhile ago I was watching Family Guy, and when Quagmire came on, I thought something to the effect of "Whoa, It's AA Bob!" (I don't remember if the exact thought was "It's AA Bob" or "It's AA Bob's avatar", but I don't think it matters in this case)?
PrinceOfPersia
Basic Member
Basic Member

26. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key word in those phrases is "intellectual".

It just sounds like we're all victims of legal jargon here - intellectual rights does not mean they've secured any code or songs or anything like that of ITG. They've secured the _idea_ of ITG - which is basically all that their patent was trying to protect.

It would be absolutely ridiculous for the code or content in the game - arguably the ONLY completely legal parts of the game - to be transferred to Konami simply because the game itself infringes a patent. It makes no sense.
Tyrgannus
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with AA Bob. Anything one side is guilty of, the other side has done it too. If there are LilQ fanboys, there are also Kevbo fanboys. If there are Ryan fanboys (Dukaomok), there are people asking when Yasu will return and reclaim the dance title (lol)

Here's my 2 cents.

I personally think that they own the franchise. That's what it sounded like to me. I fear most of all a shift in musical genre. Anyone else going to agree?
Asymptote
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how I find a good chunk of ITG's music to be faceless filler and a bit of a weak point for the game, I wouldn't care much at all.

Last edited by Asymptote on Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total
V(forExtreme)
Basic Member
Basic Member

29. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how ITG is mostly made up of happy hardcore (or at least that's the gist I got from it), there just night be a shift in that. It's too soon to know for sure, but I agree.
AA Bob
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrinceOfPersia wrote:
Key word in those phrases is "intellectual".

It just sounds like we're all victims of legal jargon here - intellectual rights does not mean they've secured any code or songs or anything like that of ITG. They've secured the _idea_ of ITG - which is basically all that their patent was trying to protect.

It would be absolutely ridiculous for the code or content in the game - arguably the ONLY completely legal parts of the game - to be transferred to Konami simply because the game itself infringes a patent. It makes no sense.

How much of the code is actually Roxor's intellectual property? Isn't ITG just Stepmania in a cabinet?

Tyrgannus wrote:
I fear most of all a shift in musical genre. Anyone else going to agree?

Yeah, I guess I could see that happening, but I think it would be a good thing. I like ITG's music, but I think DDR's is better in general.
KyuuA4
Trick Member
Trick Member

31. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, what's the big deal? ITG and DDR are fundamentally the same game anyways. laugh.gif
Wolfman Jake
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrinceOfPersia wrote:

The lawsuit never went to completion. Both parties reached a settlement beforehand. The terms of the settlement are decided by and agreed upon by the parties involved and are not boons awarded directly by the court. Therefore, it is ENTIRELY possible that Konami does own ITG, period. You are correct, though, that the specifics are lacking at this point.
Tyrgannus
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only person who LIKES most ITG music? lol, Smiley stuff is the bomb

But I can't complain too much in all honesty. I play DDR Extreme quite a bit and I don't mind the music. Sure, I avoid the ihg-pitched annoying J-pop like the lague, but in all honesty that's only a fraction of the songlist.
Yeehaw McKickass
Contributor
Contributor

34. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITG 2 dedicabs just became worth their weight in silver, gold, platinum, enriched uranium, and weapons grade plutonium combined.

Probably a good thing I'm pretty much a Pump player now.
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. Konami, please do not merge ITG and DDR.
B. Release ITG2 on the PS2 please.
C. ROXOR WILL SUE.

Brawl FC (PM me): 0989-1391-5541
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
PrinceOfPersia
Basic Member
Basic Member

36. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA Bob wrote:
How much of the code is actually Roxor's intellectual property? Isn't ITG just Stepmania in a cabinet?

Graphics, sounds and theme. Basically, ITG.

And Stepmania is of a somewhat more stable legal grounding than ITG ever was, as SM is free, open source and is more or less a simulation of DDR (aside from the amount of copyrighted graphics included with SM that the devs plan to remove completely in the full release of SM4 - a move that will have SM4 appearing in Linux distros like Debian.)

Quote:
The lawsuit never went to completion. Both parties reached a settlement beforehand. The terms of the settlement are decided by and agreed upon by the parties involved and are not boons awarded directly by the court. Therefore, it is ENTIRELY possible that Konami does own ITG, period. You are correct, though, that the specifics are lacking at this point.

All true - but I'm working under the assumption that nobody from RoXoR, a company that fought to protect their game, would just hand over all of their work to their enemy, especially when they've already committed the business equivalent of the "Poison Pill" by making ITG2 PC a free upgrade, and patch R21... actually, if anything that would suggest that Konami was given the rights to ITG's content, and RoXoR just wanted to sour the water out of spite.

But the end result will be identical - ITG is officially dead.

Last edited by PrinceOfPersia on Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total
killer_roach
Basic Member
Basic Member

37. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA Bob wrote:

Basically the UI, the artwork, the metrics, and the copy protection are Roxor's intellectual property. Konami may have stopped ITG, but didn't sound like they got much out of the deal.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tobias Preener
Trick Member
Trick Member

38. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, any chance the value of ITg for the PS2 will go up because of this?

Brawl FC (PM me): 0989-1391-5541
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Maxx!
Trick Member
Trick Member

39. PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konami will not release any further ITG games. Roxor will (obviously) not release any further ITG games.

Konami will bury ITG and continue with DDR.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: