Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Coin Line?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mostly_Harmless
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Coin Line? Reply with quote

Hello, completly embarassing questiong...I thought I'd ask you guys insted of humiliating myself in public. I was playing ITG when i noticed people started putting coins in a line on the screen. Is this some kind of waiting line?(how dose it work)? please explain this strange culture to me because im usually a console player. thanks
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Synaesthesia
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a way to manage the line. It's stupid, because coins all look the same. If you have something personally identifiable but valueless (like a library card) I'd use that if that's the kind of community who uses coin lines.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
DAF
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our arcade has evolved beyond the coin line. The new method is me telling the noobs that I'm going, and that they can get their C+'s on Anubis hard after I'm done my round.

Well that's not true...but our arcade doesn't use it anymore because we're all good friends now. But there is the occasional fat, bald guy who'll put a coin up and then who is ridiculed behind his back later.
The potential you'll be that you'll never see
The promises you'll only make
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
stqcb
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the coin line basically tells everyone that there is someone going next, but the person who put the coin there will have to remember when they're going.

For example. You get to the arcade and there's 5 coins in line, you put your coin up so you're the 6th. Now once the person that's playing is done and someone goes next, you're now 5th, but you'll have to remember that yourself. Once it gets to your turn, you go up get your coin and play. When you're finished, if you decide to play again, you put another coin up and the process starts all over.

This method works because everyone that plays knows about it and everyone will keep track of their own coin so there'll be no confusion. Of course there are the occasional jackass that would completely ignore it or try to make excuses as to why they're next. But other than that, it's a pretty good system.

And as Synaesthesia said, you can also use something else to mark your turn. Some people would use lower value coins like pennies or nickels, and there are people who would use tokens from other arcades.
View users profile Send private message
Mostly_Harmless
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh i understand now. But my only question is, do the people playing on the pad have to get off once the round is done? Or do they have to get off when they run out of money and have to go to the machine to get more tokens? (what if they are rich bastards) E15.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Phantasm
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly_Harmless wrote:
ahh i understand now. But my only question is, do the people playing on the pad have to get off once the round is done? Or do they have to get off when they run out of money and have to go to the machine to get more tokens? (what if they are rich bastards) E15.gif

And that is when you punch him in the nuts (or her in the ovaries)
stqcb
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly_Harmless wrote:

Those people would fall into the occasional jackass category. The way the coin line works is that once you finish playing ONE game, you get off and line up all over (even if you have $1000 in your pocket).

Quote:
And that is when you punch him in the nuts (or her in the ovaries)

That's one way of getting them to get off, but then, that will also get you banned from the arcade.

Other then that, you can try to ask them to get off and give someone else a turn. You can also try talking to the arcade manager or employees about it. Some people would be nice and get off once you ask and some won't, likewise, some arcade owners will talk to the players to get them to get off, while others won't give a damn as long as they're making money. If you come across the latter, then you have 3 choices.

1. do nothing and just wait
2. threaten the players in some way
3. do what Phantasm said
mistereff
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experiences, the people who are playing ITG (I'm assuming that's the machine that you're using considering the forum) know well about the coin line. Sometimes, even though we don't know each other, the coin line won't even exist, but there is a mutual understanding between all the players between who's next and will willingly retrieve the next person in line.

I think the ITG players are generally (at least in my area) really old DDR veterans (4+ years experience), and that's why we have this understanding.

DDR however, I'm usually met with more confrontation. But for some reason, most of the newbs will move along after they see me play...

I used to use an eight piso coin from the Philippines.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
JasonTheGreater
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drdanger wrote:
I used to use an eight piso coin from the Philippines.

ew, the philippines? how gay

Challenges, please.

[vr20] OmegaSox wrote:
Get the fuck over yourself, go get your 25 great full combo on LTBHE, and eat some ice cream.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a very open-minded, constructive criticism you've thought up, Jason.

Fortunately, I'm good buds with most of the arcade managers around my house, so if someone's hogging the machine, I simply have to tell them.

So remember, kids; snitching is okay if video games are involved. biggrin.gif
JasonTheGreater
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir 0rion KAMENORI wrote:
What a very open-minded, constructive criticism you've thought up, Jason.

It was a joke, I'm half Filipino.

But it's a good thing you saw the humor in that.

OHWAIT.

Challenges, please.

[vr20] OmegaSox wrote:
Get the fuck over yourself, go get your 25 great full combo on LTBHE, and eat some ice cream.
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcasm isn't easily conveyed in text form. Sorry.
JasonTheGreater
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir 0rion KAMENORI wrote:
Sarcasm isn't easily conveyed in text form. Sorry.

Yeah, my bad, I realized after I typed that that most people probably didn't know that I'm half Filipino.

BTW, for future references, 99% of the comments I make in topics like this are completely sarcastic and aren't really meant to be taken seriously.

Challenges, please.

[vr20] OmegaSox wrote:
{SFSA}MelJ
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have always hated the coin line ever since i started playing. And the simple facts(the two i have made up). are you get yours stolen when you turn around for 2 secs or you have those people who cant count and just go up in front of you and catch an attitude when you calmly try to explain to them one of the simplest things. i usually now use an ID or a game card. it seems to be more effective.
mavrik_055
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time when i'm in a coin line there is somebody who leaves the arcade or has left right before their turn, and there is some debate over whether we should hold their coin for the next opening and let the next person in line go or to send their coin to the back of the line. Usually takes a little time to sort out.
As far as coins go, most of the people seem to use game tokens, but then you'll get somebody who doesnt get the concept of the line and takes the coin line, so i use my old US Airways miles card. Helps me see where i am and completely useless if stolen
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woudl say use something other than the arcade's tokens. I have had my tokens taken on numerous occasions as people forget which coin is theres or random poeple not knowing about the coin line think it's free money.
XohshitztonysbackX
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People skip my turn all the time, so I use a Quarter this time. It works though. laugh.gif

If I use a token , they all will lie saying it's their's and I dont want to cause trouble. (Quarter Has my name on it)

BTw: No coin line where I go to, because there's no room for people to line up to play ITG or ITG2. Too many machines behind us.
Mostly_Harmless
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the coin line either. Why not just have some pateince and just stand there and wait for the person to be done Insted of walking away. It dosen't take that long, thats what i have been doing now.
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my local arcade, everyone puts up a different card/item/coin. No one puts up something similar to prevent confusion.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
XohshitztonysbackX
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once time I put a paper clip and someone threw it away while I was in the restroom. LOL....
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: