Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

No Mines
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baseSon
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: No Mines Reply with quote

ok, so i'm starting to like playing ITG/2 at the arcades but i cant be bothered with mines so i always turn em off.
Is there a fixed reduction in the final percentage or does it depend on the song etc or something else?
DJTyrant
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the song. Like Infection Expert would have a massive drop I believe (over 200+ mines).
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the precentage was just recalculated as if the song had no mines and then the score was just disqualified for ranking.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Asymptote
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically if you're just playing for fun and don't care about your score, go ahead and turn of mines, or hands, etc. But if you do, which this thread somewhat implies, you're just gonna have to learn to deal with them. They are part of the game.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do care about scores, thats why im asking uhh
Synaesthesia
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milinko959 wrote:
I thought the precentage was just recalculated as if the song had no mines and then the score was just disqualified for ranking.

Same here.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Boochypa
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You "can't be bothered with mines"?

I guess you can't be bothered with not getting your scores disqualified then.
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines add a new dimension in gameplay whether you like their presence or not.

Vertex without mines = 11
Infection without mines = 10

I mean seriously, those songs (and many others) depend on mines partially for their difficulty and thus difficulty rating. If ! had no mines, absolutely none, I bet Roxor would mark it as an 11.

Also, mines = qualified scores and recognition by anyone else who plays.
A 99% without mines is less impressive than a 99% with mines. Hands down

EDIT: Hey, this is my 333rd post. That's pretty cool I guess.
View users profile Send private message
milinko959
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrgannus wrote:
Mines add a new dimension in gameplay whether you like their presence or not.

I mean seriously, those songs (and many others) depend on mines partially for their difficulty and thus difficulty rating. If ! had no mines, absolutely none, I bet Roxor would mark it as an 11.

Yeah, good point...my vertex score goes up about 8%-10% without mines on :o
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
baseSon
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so the final percentage doesnt change then, ty
Asymptote
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrgannus wrote:

I have to disagree here.... the mines are hardly what give those songs their difficulty rating, even though I think Vertex could be an 11, its still really hard, fast and draining, not to mention hard to read for everyone due to its extreme BPM variation. The mines are just more of an annoyance, and same with infection. Plenty of 16th runs at 170bpm and over 750 steps are what make it an 11. Even without mines theres no way it's a 10. If you hit every arrow fine, the mines really shouldnt be a problem. They just make it look real intimidating.

Overall, I think mines are more of a slight to moderate annoyance that can hinder one's score, rather than a major contributer in a songs overall difficulty. Unless they do some really crazy shit with mines that they haven't hinted at yet, I don't really feel mines are enough of a difficulty contributor to affect a whole rating.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the mines do have something to do with difficulty.

It makes it harder to see the arrows and read the steps. It is then harder to FA or do well on because if you cannot see the arrows, you cannot step in time, and thus you will fail the game (or lose).

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Asymptote
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malice of BluR wrote:

I never said they weren't. I just said that they aren't a major contributor overall such as, the actual STEPS. I don't think the mines that are there already are so much of a deal to change the whole rating, but rather more of an obsticle or annoyance.
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asymptote wrote:
Malice of BluR wrote:

I never said they weren't. I just said that they aren't a major contributor overall such as, the actual STEPS. I don't think the mines that are there already are so much of a deal to change the whole rating, but rather more of an obsticle or annoyance.

Lemmings on the Run anyone? Or Charlene? Infection would easily be a 10 without the mines as well, so much resting time...

When ITG1 came out, Charlene was the ONLY 11/12 I didn't pass first try with ease because of the *mines*

I also have extreme trouble with Vertex^2 expert because the *mines* make it so bloody hard to read.
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Asymptote
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figgy20000 wrote:
Lemmings on the Run anyone? Or Charlene? Infection would easily be a 10 without the mines as well, so much resting time...

When ITG1 came out, Charlene was the ONLY 11/12 I didn't pass first try with ease because of the *mines*

I also have extreme trouble with Vertex^2 expert because the *mines* make it so bloody hard to read.

Lemmings on the Run is a 9. If it didn't have mines, it would still be a 9, and it certainly doesn't deserve to be a 10 "for the mines". It's a 9 because of the steps.

Charlene is an 11 for the steps as well. Lots of long runs of 16ths, but then Roxor realized 16ths at that speed weren't as hard as they originally thought, thus explaining the bunch of 10's in ITG2 with faster and tougher 16th runs (Hillbilly Hardcore, Temple Of Boom, Sweet World, Know Your Enemy, etc.). Charlene is a botched 11 imo. The mines in it really aren't that hard to avoid anyway. So you didn't pass it first try... big deal? I'm sure it's not like you had to work real hard to get around the mines your subsequent tries.

And the Infection comment is just bullshit. It's fast and relentless, there aren't any "resting" points at all. Even Pandemonium Hard or The Beginning have more "resting" points than Infection. 170 bpm, over 750 steps, loads of 16th runs, It's an 11 regardless of the mines.

I never said mines don't factor at all in difficulty. They just arent a major factor. I'm only saying they aren't significant enough to warrant something like "_____ is a _ because of the mines". They are a mere annoyance that will hinder your score, but the rating is all about the steps.

And one more thing.... notice how so many people say they think Charlene and VerTex are their respective ratings "because of the mines", well Roxor might have intended that, but also notice how 2 of the most common things you hear regarding difficulty changes are "Charlene should be a 10" and "VerTex should be an 11"..... that just shows, that if they were their ratings simply because of the mines, then mines don't really make the song so much harder as to bump it up a whole rating, as many, many people involuntarily show.
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mines definitly determine how hard the song is.
Well, not completely, but you know what I mean.
Especially if you choose the option "Add Mines".
I found out that if you hit the ones where the steps are suposed to be, your lifebar goes down, but your percentage goes up.
Does that mean that the course "Do You Mine?" is made for you to get a low score?
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Asymptote
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add mines is a different story because it replaces steps with mines, rather than the usual strategic placing of mines which are made to be able to avoid and still "go with the flow" of steps. On the hardest songs, add mines can make it impossible (never tried, but steps being replaced with mines randomly in a song like Summer would seem impossible to me). It's all about the placement.
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines aren't that bad. The only places they are anything to worry about unless you have a crappy condion pad.

Last edited by tac-tics on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Asymptote
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tac-tics wrote:
Mines aren't that bad. The only places they are anything to worry about unless you have a crappy condion pad.

Indeed. I mostly play at home on my Ignition, which has raised arrows and ghost-stepping can be a problem.... as compared to an arcade which has the nice raised center to easily avoid mines, yet I seem to be one of the few that just doesn't see what is so hard about mines.
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this has already been answered, but How do i play ITG1 songs on a ITG2 machine?

Fankyuu E4.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: