Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Konami acquires license for American Idol
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Konami acquires license for American Idol Reply with quote

Konami today announced that it has reached an agreement with FremantleMedia giving them exclusive rights to future games based on the American Idol franchise. What does this mean for the future of Karaoke Revolution? Time will tell.

Konami Digital Entertainment Acquires Interactive Game Rights for the Hit Franchise American Idol

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 25, 2005-- Leader in Music Video Games To Publish Titles For Current And Next Generation Video Game Systems Based On America's Most Watched Television Show Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc., today announced a multi-year agreement with FremantleMedia Licensing Worldwide, Americas (FLW, Americas), the U.S. licensing division of FremantleMedia, one of the largest international creators and producers of program brands in the world and the co-producer and licensor of American Idol, that gives the company the exclusive interactive video game rights for American Idol. Pursuant to the agreement, FLW, Americas grants Konami the rights to develop games for current and next generation video game systems based on America's number one television program. The games will be distributed throughout America, Canada and Latin America with more details to be revealed at a later date.

"Not only is American Idol one of the biggest television programs in the U.S., but its format lends itself perfectly for making compelling video games," said Kazumi Kitaue, Chairman and CEO of Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. "With Konami's leadership and expertise in music video games and American Idol's popularity and strength as a recognized franchise, this is a powerful synergy that will greatly benefit the consumer."

American Idol, which just completed its fourth season in May 2005, continues to dominate television ratings and break viewership records. Last season's finale, produced by FremantleMedia and 19TV for the Fox network in the US, saw 30.3 million viewers tune in to watch Carrie Underwood be crowned as the newest American Idol. The debut of American Idol's fifth season will air this fall.

David Luner, Vice President Licensing for FLW, Americas, added, "The Idols format has already proven itself successful in a variety of categories including electronics, toys & games, wireless and online applications. We look forward to establishing a solid presence in the video games market with an industry leader like Konami."

As the industry leader in music video games, Konami has a strong line-up of titles that allow gamers to sing, dance, and mix music all in the comfort of their own living rooms. Among its catalog of top music games, Konami publishes the highly-acclaimed singing game Karaoke Revolution and the number one dance game, Dance Dance Revolution. Next year Konami will also release beatmania -- the first-ever DJ simulation game created for the PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Skit
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! laugh.gif
tora
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_o Damn... just...

...damn.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... my... God... o.O
View users profile Send private message
skie
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, while it might make you go "huh?" it's really a good matchup. The previous video games based on the American Idol series were sub-par at best, and the karaoke peripherials have been nothing to scream about. Konami has a really great concept and formula with the Karaoke Revolution games, that needs to be seen by a wider audience. I mean, hats off to Fremantle for realizing all of this and making the deal with Konami. I think it's a win-win situation.
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this won't be a Karoke Revolution game, but it will become Dance Dance Revoltion: American Idol Mix. goog.gif goog.gif goog.gif

The Horror!!!!
act deft
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/Vader]

Seriously though we should start calling Karaoke Revolution: "American Idol"
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm...

Songs from American Idol on DDR maybe biggrin.gif
That would suck though <.<

Oh well... I don't play KR.

Oh god... American Idol DDR spin offs O.O *shoots himself*
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Uiru
Contributor
Contributor

8. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side: if this deal impacts DDR in any way, it just means that the trashy recycled generic pop American music bullshit that infects our mixes will now be relatively current.

OOPS I DID IT AGAIN, AGAIN, LOL
~Uiru

"I just think everytime [Uiru] touches a keyboard, something epic comes out." ~Ω
View users profile Send private message Send email
Melvis at the Disco!
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

9. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konami can't do any worse than Codemasters did with that bad boy.
Wakka Lakka
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's brilliant actually E13.gif I love playing KR, enough to buy the hard to get 1st mix even. My biggest beef with the product (other than needing to 'lead' the song transitions to score well) is the lack of exciting feedback. I play with a bunch of people who have never played it and it's just arbitrary. Ooo I scored 32,000 out of a possible 50,000. The posts above for some unfathomable reason talk about the music from AI, but in reality there isn't a huge brand association involving the particular songs on AI (especially since Konami already has the standard fare like Ain't No Mountain and Against All Odds in it's catalog of liscenses) The real draw is the judges comments. They could give feedback as to the pitch, and the phrasing used in performance. Imagine stumbling through ABC only to hear Simon compare your vocal to a bell-hop in a Vietnameese youth hostel. Hearing Paula gush over a modiocre rendition of Red Red Wine would also be amusing. The judges could be programmed to pay attention to certain aspects of the performance. I think there is great potential here. I really hope they include a 'carreer' mode where you have to face vote-offs with other players/computer opponents.
act deft
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinner Mr. Wendell wrote:
Konami can't do any worse than Codemasters did with that bad boy.

That's true. laugh.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Nationalism? Nah. Reply with quote

I'm suprised that no one's made the obvious joke about how American Idol is now being published by a Japanese company.

What's that? Codemasters is British? D'oh!

(And I don't really have too much to say about it - so long as Harmonix remains the developer, the only things that will really change are the window dressings and skins. Hopefully the critique can be toggled off as well.)

"Your charisma exceeds that of mortal men. Many would lay down their lives for you." - Fall-From-Grace
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
AceJay
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! YES!

SHE BANGS WILL NOW BE SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN FFR!

SHE LIKES CROSSOVERS! - William Hung and TAKA feat Banya - 180 bpm - Classical Country

Or something along the lines.

BONUS MINIGAME: SIMON COWELL'S FACE IS A NOTESKIN! DESTROY!
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E1.gif E2.gif it's a mixed bag for me, could be good, could be bad.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Ebisumaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uiru wrote:
bullshit oh man i wish i was in japan right now im an individual frick american music

SHUT UP
Unknown Gamer
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This news makes me giggle and feel tingly in my special areas. E1.gif

I would imagine that American Idol would somehow fuse into the Karaoke Revolution series.

Now I'm just waiting for Konami to announce their partnership with MTV and fuse that brand name into DDR. Then watch the fur REALLY fly around here!

devil.gif
kamron_1
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this seems like an ok move for Konami, i just hope it's not a gigantic flop to the non-konami fan boys and girls (basically, the general public)
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIE, SIMON!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!..............Wait, JUST da game?......Dang.....Now THAT is going to be wierd. AI songs on KDR....okay....AI songs on DDR......Oh No.....PLEASE NOOOOO!!! I DON'T WANNA LISTEN TO THEM ON DDRADIO (DDR Freak Radio. I like DDRadio better)!!!! Maybe DDR characters will sing on AI:Konami Version
triad.spacefight
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as it doesn't affect Party I'll be okay.

Triad for life.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: