Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

PIU - Battle Of New Orleans
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: PIU - Battle Of New Orleans Reply with quote

Arturo sends word that the second regional qualifier for the worldwide Pump It Up 2005 tournament has been announced - the venue is New Orleans, and the competition will be held on Saturday, July 30th at the Coin It Up arcade in Southland Mall Shopping Center, in Houma, LA. This is the correct location as of 26 July 2005, and the tournament will *not* be held in Metairie as previously reported. As with the previous tournament, the forthcoming home release of PIU Exceed will be on display and playable at the tournament.

Here are the event details:

BATTLE of NEW ORLEANS

part of

PIU CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES 2005

INFO:
Saturday July 30, 2005
Time: Sign-up begins 12:00 noon, ends 12:30

Coin It Up
5953 West Park Ave
Houma, LA
(985) 876-2756

SPONSORS:
Andamiro, Mastiff, Coin It Up

RULES:

Tournament Style: Single Elimination
Division: Crazy, Freestyle, Hard
Players can only enter 2 divisions if it is the combination of either Crazy or Hard with Freestyle. Players cannot enter both Hard and Crazy divisions.

In Crazy division, players can only choose the following songs:
  • Bee
  • Dignity
  • I Will Give You All My Love
  • Slam
  • Extreme
  • Canon D
  • Love is a Danger Zone
  • Winter
  • Blazing
  • Pump Me Amadeus
  • Beethoven Virus
  • Hi Bi
  • Final Audition
  • Final Audition Ep.1
  • Solitary 2
  • Get Up
  • Lacubanita
  • FA3UF
  • Hatred
  • Run
  • Mr. Larpus
  • What do you Really Want?
  • My Way
  • Wisp
  • Vook
  • JBong
Entry Fee: $10 per division (cash only, non-refundable)
Best of 3 songs wins. Song 3 will be random. In Hard division, song 3 will be level 6 and above.
Holding bar is allowed
The score given by game will determine winner
Free Style division judged by:
Creativity – 30%
Grade – 10%
Performance – 30%
Skill – 15%
Dance 15%

PRIZES:
Crazy
  1. $500 & PIU Merch.
  2. $200 & PIU Merch.
  3. PIU Merch.
Freestyle
  1. $200 & PIU Merch.
  2. PIU Merch
Hard
  1. $100
  2. PIU Merch.
  3. PIU Merch.
OTHER INFO:

The upcoming U.S. home release of Exceed will be available to play!

* EXTRA DIVISIONS AND CHANCES TO WIN BEING ADDED SOON! STAY TUNED! *

Sentient Mode is capable...

Last edited by Cutriss on Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:13 am, edited 4 times in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Koolkatmack
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that "grade" factors into freestyle judging is kind of stupid. But I guess this is more of a serious event than the other goofy freestyle events I've seen. Also when judging freestyle, I wonder what they are looking for when they say "skill"? How hard the actual performance looks?

I like that guy's beard. Maybe he and I can gank that hag and take her wierd hat.
YoureMyHiro
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lack the hardcore PIU skills to compete, although my homies Juicy J and Dizzle on the other hand...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
DancingMewtwo
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Best of 3 songs wins. Song 3 will be random. In Hard division, song 3 will be level 6 and above.
Holding bar is allowed

HAHAHAHA, YES! Hopefully this sets a precedent for all major tournaments, DDR, PIU, and ITG.
PedanticOmbudsman
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koolkat of SMITE! wrote:
The fact that "grade" factors into freestyle judging is kind of stupid.

I think the grade should absolutely count. If you're just going to dance around and not hit actually hit any arrows, then why not just enter a regular dance contest or something? I think the whole point of dance-game freestyle is to demonstrate as much skill and creativity as possible while still doing the designated steps at the designated times. It doesn't really demonstrate any skill if the person doesn't actually hit the right steps. Uninitiated onlookers should think, "wow, that guy's so awesome at that game that he can do all that above & beyond what he's required to do, and look good doing it", not "doesn't that guy realize that he's missing all those arrows while he's trying to show off?"

I'm also much more impressed by people who can freestyle decently on harder songs. Even if they don't have time to put in nearly as many of what are often thought of as "freestyle elements" as those who do easy songs, the fact that they're severely multitasking & demonstrating skill at the game and skill at dancing simultaniously is much more impressive.

I'm not too familiar with how things go at freestyle tournaments -- does anybody do hard songs?

I know some DDR guys who do Max300 Heavy together on Versus... they don't do backflips or handstands or anything, but they have good style, they switch pads five times during the song without either of them missing an arrow, they get in a number of hand-slaps and knee-drops during the song, they don't lean against the bar, they look like they're dancing a lot more than most Heavy-mode players do, and they wind up getting A's (sometimes AA's) on the song. I consider that to be more impressive from an aesthetic and artistic standpoint than the majority of the freestyle videos I've seen because the level of skill displayed, especially when they switch pads in the middle of such a fast, intense song. But some would say it's not "good freestyle" because they're not facing away from the screen & doing the robot.
View users profile Send private message
Baka of the Orochi
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancingMewtwo wrote:
Quote:
Holding bar is allowed

HAHAHAHA, YES! Hopefully this sets a precedent for all major tournaments, DDR, PIU, and ITG.

Yeah too bad there's still absolutely ridiculously good players that can S crazy CZ songs without the bar anyway =/
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clear up some of the curiosity posted above, you can watch the freestyle vids from last month's Dallas tourney here:

http://www.tounge73.exonytesrealm.com/

(Lots of pics there, too) If you don't wanna wade through all the vids, the top ones were:

Smidget's "Don't Bother Me" -- tied for 1st place (Smidget eventually won 1st place in a danceoff), Flow's "Funky Tonight" -- tied for 1st, redviper's "Tooji" -- 3rd, Tounge's "Come to Me" -- 4th, and Der Toter's "First Love" -- 5th. Also funny is nativetenor's very gay "Canon D," and for some real fun, check out Vinter's "Koul" which features his trademark "painstyle" -- he absolutely SLAMS his knees into the pad on all the knee drops. It's painful to watch, but listening to the crowd react is hilarious.

Also posted are the Crazy Division Finals between redviper and BotD, which some might find interesting.

EDIT -- There's also a short clip of Yahpp's (bandleader of BanYa) impromptu freestyle clinic staged there.

Oh, and I guess I'll shamelessly plug the following, for any Yahpp/BanYa fans out there. My interview of Yahpp, from back in March, is available here:

http://www.pumpcore.com/article.php?story=2005040400530615
L.
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IIDX machine is beautiful drool.gif

EDIT: So is the Pop'n Music... frown.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E7.gif Well, if you ever come to Dallas and want to play IIDX or Pop'n, just realize that THOSE pics were not at Dave and Buster's, so don't go there and be disappointed, lol. For those, go to the bemani arcade, CyberZone, at Richardson Square Mall.
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arturo wrote:
E7.gif Well, if you ever come to Dallas and want to play IIDX or Pop'n, just realize that THOSE pics were not at Dave and Buster's, so don't go there and be disappointed, lol. For those, go to the bemani arcade, CyberZone, at Richardson Square Mall.
Which, if you believe the denizens of the area, is staffed by workers who wouldn't fix a game to save a baby feline Jesus Domo-kun's life.

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
babyvoxlover
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arturo thanks for all the links and videos!! They are of a really high standard.

Official UK Pump Leader Supporter
Pump It Up & Dancegame site > > > http://www.myspace.com/pumpstreetuk
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
StarmanSuper568
Basic Member
Basic Member

11. PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering. Do you have to sign up or can you go and watch?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Arturo
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can come watch......space permitting, of course. Are you local there, Starman?
Arturo
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, but an EDIT doesn't update the post date (and thus people might miss it), and the following is a bit newsworthy, I think:

A $1000 cash purse has just been announced for the New Orleans tourney! See the breakdown at the updated link:

http://www.piugame.com/tempst_bbs/event/board_list.php?tbname=kor_event&no=112
StarmanSuper568
Basic Member
Basic Member

14. PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not local, but I'm not far. I live in Lafayette, so it's a good 2 hour drive, I guess. I'll try to make it early.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

15. PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arturo wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but an EDIT doesn't update the post date (and thus people might miss it), and the following is a bit newsworthy, I think:
I updated the announcement with the prize info.

I wonder why it took them so long to decide on having the exact same prize distribution as the Showdown In Big D tournament.

Smidget
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

money can be a tricky thing sometimes... biggrin.gif

Little James
Arturo
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it took that long, Cutriss, not to decide the distribution, but to find out the total amount we'd have to distribute. Smidget was working on hustling up the cash, lol.

(okay, Smidget, you can stop walking the streets now E15.gif )
Smidget
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. I swear I've looked under every coke machine in this frickin city!

Except for that 1 I broke the glass on... erm.gif riiight.gif erm.gif

Little James
Arturo
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smidget informs that due to some unfortunate last-minute issues with the originally announced host arcade, the tourney has now been moved to an alternate location, about an hour away:

http://www.piugame.com/tempst_bbs/event/board_list.php?tbname=kor_event&no=112

If anyone was flying in from out of town, and won't have a vehicle to get to the new arcade, rides MIGHT be available....post or PM, if so.

And yes, the change was quite necessary, due to sponsor requirements.

But we expect another great tourney! Everyone's still coming!
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: