Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ITG featured in July 2005 Issue of EGM
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tw3nz0r
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: ITG featured in July 2005 Issue of EGM Reply with quote

I got my issue in today and low-and-behold, a ITG review. I don't have a scanner so I typed it all out. riiight.gif

IN THE GROOVE
Don't hate it because it's a rip-off

Good: Highly customizable routines
Bad: Music for cheesy techno fans only
Why Should: Dance Dance Revolution have all the fun?

JENNIFER: I get what they're trying to do with In The Groove. The hardcore already know this Dance Dance Revolution spin-off from the arcade; why not give the folks at home some choices, too?
This dancepad rhythm-music game makes several nice amendments to the established DDR rule book, starting with the addition of "modifiers" of the standard straight-scrolling arrows: Here, there are twisting arrows, mines, hand steps---all creeating a fun, if slightly psychedelic, dancing experience. The modifiers give something new and refreshing for the hardcore set while livening things up for the two-left-feet crowd stuck on the easy setting.
Dexterous dancers will also raise their hands for the new expert difficulty---this one goes to 13, and those steps are some serious business. Overall, the chorography of the routines is hit or miss: some feel like true dancing, while others can be awkward even for the pros. And though I understand that dancing games need songs with high BPM, is it so hard to incorporate fast remixes of hit mainstream songs? This techno tryanny must end! Maybe In the Groove isn't a real dance revolution, but it takes some (gulp) steps in the right direction.

OFFICIAL PS MAG---JOE: Groove is a game for those of you who think the many iterations of DDR just aren't hard enough. When arrows spin, disappear, reverse their orientation, or turn into mines that must be avoided, you've entered the realm of the Hardcore Dance Freak.
That's not to say there's nothing for newcomers; Groove's easy levels are very, very easy. But it gets hard quickly, and the most difficult setting will probably make your head explode. Even with a near-infinite array of options for tweaking the difficulty, though, this no-frills game is obviously inteded for very, very serious dance-game fans---serious enough to not need flashy backgrounds or popular songs.

1UP.COM--KAREN: For those wiz kids who have mastered dancing games, here's a chance to blow another 800 hours---but with Eurotrashy music you'll really hate. For everyone else, prepare to gawk at an overwhelming tornado of arrows. Though Groove's detailed custom settings can be adjusted for beginners, options like making the direction arrows spin and bounce in a bunch of cracked-out ways really make it expertcentric---but also more like a game than an exercise in memorizing permutations of cardinal directions.
Think of Groove as a training program for supercoordinated gamers-slash-dancers---but regular Joes may abandon this nifty high-end RedOctane dance pad after 10 minutes.

THE VERDICTS (OUT OF 10)

7.0 JENNIFER
7.0 JOE
5.5 KAREN

Publisher: RedOctane
Developer: Roxor
Players: 1-2
ESRB: Everyone

www.inthegroove.com
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
orb
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. What did they say the release date for ITG is?
View users profile Send private message
tw3nz0r
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, but none of the reviews in this issue at least have dates for any of the games.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
sherl0k
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

3. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RO has given a date of "Late June" to me, I talked directly to a rep at E3 - and I even played the game too.

[quote:ed1f6848c5=\\\"jaeness\\\"]get your change from obama, he apparently has tons of it.[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
runwithscizzors9
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ITG featured in July 2005 Issue of EGM Reply with quote

Quote:

Bad: Music for cheesy techno fans only

YES! there, thats what ive been trying to say all along, i could just never put it into words, thats why i prefer DDR more, it has more variety and fun, besides of the mods, DDR needed more mods
Houou Don't You Want Me
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, who picked those reviewers? They are simply the most biased team of reviewers picked to review a game ever.

"Don't hate it because its a knock-off"? Gimme a break.
cfusionpm
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houou wrote:
Wow, who picked those reviewers? They are simply the most biased team of reviewers picked to review a game ever.

why? most people on this very forum hate it because its a knock-off. their point is you shouldnt hate it because of that. why is that bad?
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

7. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...ITG isn't a knock off.

THIS IS:

Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dud ehow much is the doubles soft pad
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so cool. I want one.
DJTyrant
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

10. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll notice the pad isn't connected to any console. It's a uber bootleg.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJTyrant wrote:
You'll notice the pad isn't connected to any console. It's a uber bootleg.

ye ai didnt notice untill i wnet to the website that it wsnt a pad for DDR but just one of those crappy self contained games
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfusionpm wrote:
Houou wrote:

why? most people on this very forum hate it because its a knock-off. their point is you shouldnt hate it because of that. why is that bad?

Did you read the review? All 3 reviewers didn't stop babbling about how this is only for the 'people that think DDR is too easy' (which is idiotic. I can't pass some DDR songs but I think ITG is far superior). Basically the 3 did a quick copy/paste. It is obvious that they have no idea what they are talking about. Kinda sad really... to think EGM, one of the top american video game magazines, doesn't actually hire reviewers with diverse/informed opinions. I'm not saying they should be forced to like it, but it is obvious that they gave the game very little thought. Which is sad.
orb
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sherl0k Shuffle wrote:
RO has given a date of "Late June" to me, I talked directly to a rep at E3 - and I even played the game too.

Aweoifjaewlfja;sdlifja;ewiofja;owejr;oijf;aoij;aoeifjawe;oifjeaw. frust.gif

E2.gif
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I thought I heard mid-June too. =/

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
LET ME SHOW YOU THEM
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

15. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those reviewers obviously don't have any idea about licensing/the fanbase/RoXoR's financial situation...whatever..silly kids..
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea its silly they didnt have any reviewers for a niche genre tha makes up a unfathomioly small percentage of all gameing
Basic Member
Basic Member

17. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon flavored Caffy wrote:
RoXoR obviously doesn't have any idea about licensing, now they're getting sued...whatever..silly kids..

fix'd. laugh.gif
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
diddrstrait
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_mana wrote:
Oregon flavored Caffy wrote:
RoXoR obviously doesn't have any idea about licensing, now they're getting sued...whatever..silly kids..

fix'd. laugh.gif

because that has anything to do with the review
cfusionpm
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnglishBastardizingTerror wrote:
yea its silly they didnt have any reviewers for a niche genre tha makes up a unfathomioly small percentage of all gameing

exactly. if i remember correctly, they praised pretty much all of the american ddr console releases because of their overall mass appeal. by comparrison, itg doesnt have that. very good point.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: