Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

PIU Exceed Preview @ E3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

0. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: PIU Exceed Preview @ E3 Reply with quote

MadCatz was kind enough to offer us the opportunity to get a sneak peek at the upcoming release of PIU Exceed, and we couldn't turn that opportunity down. For the veteran pumpers out there, the purchase of this is probably already locked up in your minds. For those of you that have been curious about PIU but have had your issues with it in the past, you will definitely want to give this one a shot.

PIU Exceed will be released this July for both the PS2 and the Xbox. While the PS2 version will not feature online play, the Xbox version will (via Xbox Live), featuring downloadable songs, Internet rankings, and online versus play. Unlike the Ultramix series, Andamiro says they will be providing licensed content in the song downloads. They will be sold as packs, but no pricing has been determined as of yet. The first pack should be available shortly after launch, but they want players to enjoy what's in the game before they start pushing out new material.

PIU Exceed uses the genre-type interface of the arcade game, while also incorporating songs from Exceed 2. I don't have a full songlist handy as of yet (unlockable songs are displayed on the screen as such, so there's no "mystery songs" hidden from view), but Sherl0k and I have recorded videos and taken pictures of the game, so we'll parse that out and have a full songlist posted as soon as we have that set.

As I am not intimately familiar with prior PIU home releases, forgive me if some of these "new" features are simply new to me. E10.gif

PIU Exceed features the regular arcade mode, with the songlist from the arcade version, and all your standard codes. Additionally, there's a Home mode, which enhances the experience greatly, and is probably just the ticket a DDR veteran needs to get into PIU. In the Home mode:
  • Players can select independent difficulty settings
  • Difficulty level per-player is preserved based on prior preference
  • Instead of using stepcodes, players can use a modifier menu to add modifiers
  • No countdown timer to force players to pick songs
Additionally, there are other new modes, such as Sudden Death, which allows you to play until you make a single miss, similarly to Oni mode. There's also a Workout Mode, Records, and the other usual options. One novel thing I noticed is that the game uses your stepcount to track "the distance" you've moved in the process of playing the game. After playing about 5 or 6 songs, the game said that Sherl0k had gone about 2/3s of a mile.

Those of you that have your concerns about the dance mats can rest easy - Mad Catz did have a hand in their design, but they're better than any of the DDR softpads you've played from them before. The entire underside is textured to help resist slippage (it did slip some, but not as much), and the material didn't crumple like most softpads do. I couldn't get a positive answer on whether the pad's outputs were the same as the Korean pads, but it is my understanding that the existing pads will work, so those of you with CFs set up for PIU play will probably be in the clear.

Overall, we were very impressed by this first outing of PIU in the US home market. Mad Catz says that they're working toward wide distribution of the game and the bundle (they will be available separately), so you may be able to find it in some department stores as well as your local game store. The target release date is mid-July, so mark your calendars.

Again, once we have the opportunity to upload the pics and movies, we will do so, so please look forward to it.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Falling/Fading/LostItAll
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Sounds nice. Might actually bring me to play PIU.
View users profile Send private message
act deft
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I only played PIU like once...

This will be a great opportunity for me to, at least, try it.
E1.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh...so how do you use the controller for PIU? Or do you just not do that?

<_<
>_>

WHAT?
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds pretty sweet...but i doubt i'll buy it since that would require me to buy yet another pad. biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Anthony of TGA
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

5. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0xYm0r0n wrote:
sounds pretty sweet...but i doubt i'll buy it since that would require me to buy yet another pad. biggrin.gif

I have a very strong feeling that this being the first US release for PS2 it will be a bundle set. But it will prolly be more so it still will kinda be like buying the game and a pad. A $59 bundle would be hot sex.
TimeLord81
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AceJay wrote:
Uh...so how do you use the controller for PIU? Or do you just not do that?

<_<
>_>

WHAT?

The Korean PS2 release that came out last year was mapped to R2, L2, R1, L1, and X for Center. After a lil getting used to it actually works really well.. Now as far as playing on the Xbox controller I have no idea. =P

-Matt
AceJay
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeLord81 wrote:

The Korean PS2 release that came out last year was mapped to R2, L2, R1, L1, and X for Center. After a lil getting used to it actually works really well.. Now as far as playing on the Xbox controller I have no idea. =P

-Matt

Oh...actually, I can see that working...cool!
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: PIU Exceed Preview @ E3 Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
so those of you with CFs set up for PIU play will probably be in the clear.

I sure hope so. Would be nice if they could confirm that Cobalt Flux Pads work with the game, but that may discourage customers from buying the MadCatz Pad. Consistency would be great though. Guess we just gotta hold out on this one and keep our fingers crossed.

Maybe MadCatz could market a handheld Pump It Up Controller similar to the DDR ones out there. Have it do everything the handheld DDR controllers do...light up when pressed...clean my room...do the dishes...ya know, just normal controller stuff.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Life
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUTS XBox dance pad/s for innards and makes two metal pads and throws away cover in trash where it belongs along with EVERYTHING Madcatz cept for his memory card.
Any word on if the XBL content will feature Extra Mix songs? I REALLY need "Funky Jockey", "Flower Of the Night" and "Move Your Head" on a home version of PIU plus I wanna show Hip-Hop heads PIU is the dance game for them! happy.gif
Light_373
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fun. Ill probobally get that sometime soon, hopefully.
BrandonMills
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do CFs have middle buttons?
Arturo
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss -- Was Smidget there, demo-ing the game when you were there?
Tsuri
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do so many people want to use Cobalts with the game? They just screw up your play when you use an actual PIU pad.... cobalts = no good for PIU play... slipping off the side and having your shoe land sideways does not feel good. Stick with pads made for PIU instead of a DDR pad that has extra arrows.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
sikraiken
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsuri wrote:
Why do so many people want to use Cobalts with the game? They just screw up your play when you use an actual PIU pad.... cobalts = no good for PIU play... slipping off the side and having your shoe land sideways does not feel good. Stick with pads made for PIU instead of a DDR pad that has extra arrows.

They don't screw up your play, you have to move your feet a little farther to go from one diagonal to another, but that's it. I get the same scores at home as I do at the arcade with my CF.
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the areas it gets particularly screwy with me are :
-Nightmare mode
-Freestyle mode (when I'm actually freestyling) having such a narrow area makes some things impossible to do and makes FS dull.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this will be quite great and I can't wait. I'm also glad that my USB Korean PC pad will work for this release. biggrin.gif

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
ark_keeper
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, you didn't ask if the buttons can be remapped in the game?! So we still don't know if we're gonna need a Pump control box for the CF's.
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can't remap any buttons in the game, as that feature wasn't supported on any other PIU home version IIRC.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Dan Druff
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: PIU Exceed Preview @ E3 Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
While the PS2 version will not feature online play, the Xbox version will (via Xbox Live), featuring downloadable songs, Internet rankings, and online versus play. Unlike the Ultramix series, Andamiro says they will be providing licensed content in the song downloads. They will be sold as packs, but no pricing has been determined as of yet. The first pack should be available shortly after launch, but they want players to enjoy what's in the game before they start pushing out new material.

I'm guessing that X-BOX owners will eventually be able to download EXCEED 2 through X-BOX Live because EXCEED 2 is basically EXCEED plus new songs and new modes. Then Andamiro can make EXCEED 2 exclusively for the PlayStation 2.
TimeLord81 wrote:

The Korean PS2 release that came out last year was mapped to R2, L2, R1, L1, and X for Center. After a lil getting used to it actually works really well. Now as far as playing on the Xbox controller I have no idea. =P

-Matt

The X-BOX version has X as up-left, Y as up-right, A as down-left, B as down-right, and START as center. This is based on the design of the X-BOX pad shown in one of the older threads here regarding EXCEED.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Other Bemani and Music Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: