Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

New Calculator DDR!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightime
Trick Member
Trick Member

100. PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ES] GARYsurvivor wrote:
And yes, speed changes are giving me grief. Same thing goes for freezes. Because of that, I was seriously considering removing all the songs I have and basing this version off the 1st Mix of DDR. I could then make each new version based off of the other mixes. However, I don't think that would make all of you guys very happy, so I'll try to get EVERHTHING (ugh...) working befoore I start getting hate mail! biggrin.gif

Well, here's a suggestion that may work... make some stages a series of smaller stages played back-to-back (like for "A", make a "93 BPM level", and a "193 BPM level", and simply have the song select query both, one at a time, with no space inbetween. For the stops, simply make "invisible notes" that are actually there, but aren't displayed. That way, when the file reaches the "invisible notes", the arrows stop, though the stage is actually continuing to play. E13.gif

Freezes are a little more tricky. Though they aren't really hard to encode, but getting the calc to detect more than one "hold" at a time is really more of a PitA than it would be worth. Just say it's "Freeze off by default" or something.

Also- due to the limited tracklist size, you might consider simply making Nonstop/Oni courses using the same/similar guidelines (like the DDR Solo nonstops, except doing the entire "IIDX BOSS" or "LE GEN" courses like that). Or just try the "Genre Select" approach, and make them one mix at a time, like... let's see...

-NONSTOP
-4th Mix PLUS
-DDR SOLO (or 5th Mix)
-DDRMAX
-DDRMAX 2
-DDR EXTREME
-BEST HITS
-ONI

Who knows, you may be able to add in a "Player's Best" approach to that as well. At least leave yourself that door open, should you choose to pursue it (more than likely, I'd assume). How are your modifiers, BTW?
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

101. PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightime wrote:
How are your modifiers, BTW?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif disturb.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
neomang5
Basic Member
Basic Member

102. PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey hey now, Relax
Let him finish the game before we go onto mods.
I mean its just as good without them, so you dont need them.
Theyre an extra that we might get if he can figure it out.
Quit pressurin the man.

aw dame. you made me buy all this material for notthing! du ma! o well. im rich. i could afford ne thing. mayb i shoould js buy the machine. tearz ;(
ne wais it was fun buying. peace outside durty poopz.

!~NORTHNORTH SIDE~!

^DDR Moron
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

103. PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how to make speed changes and stops just by altering the frame rate, resulting in the funky perfect window. (A stop is just changing it to like 1 frame per second for one frame) Freezes are still hassling me, I just want them to look nice. Right now they look weird when they appear at the bottom, but I guess that doesn't matter too much. E13.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
gameboyguy13
Trick Member
Trick Member

104. PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neomang5 wrote:
I mean its just as good without [mods], so you dont need them.

Besides, I bet a lot of people would argue that it's better without mods... maybe.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FoxFireX
Trick Member
Trick Member

105. PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't really been following this much, but if you wanted to try to get the perfect et al windows a bit closer, do you think it might be worthwhile to base your number of frames per window on the current frame rate? Picking random numbers, say that if the frame rate is 4-8 fps, perfect is within 2 frames, great 4, etc., but if the frame rate is 9-12, perfect is within 3, great 6, and so forth? Set it up so your frame windows are global variables which get set any time the frame rate is adjusted? A little bit of added complexity, but I don't think it would be too horrible to contemplate, and would make the game play just that much closer to those knock-offs Konami puts out. E13.gif Just a thought from a random bystander.
View users profile Send private message
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

106. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't some easy to control frame rate things here. This is written in low-level language, meaning that I might as well be programming in 1s and 0s. The frame rate isn't something that you set, it's something that you control. It doesn't automatically set itself with a simple command. I have to control every single frame. Also, my window has to be fixed for simplicity. The judging is based of 1 byte and a carry, so basically 9 bits. I use bit shifting to represent moving arrows. A set bit (1) would represent an arrow. So depending on where this set bit is when the correct key is pressed, you get a grading. The bits are graded like this:

AgGPPGgA M

P=Perfect
G=Great
g=Good
A=Almost
M=Miss

The bits move every frame and the arrows move every frame, so everything works harmoniously and without being too complicated. That's why it's best to keep everything in sync that way and changing the clockwork speed, making everything speed up or slow down, including the perfect window. E13.gif

I hope that didn't hurt your brains somehow. It's my own system that I thought up just for this game, so it's unique! biggrin.gif
tac-tics
Trick Member
Trick Member

107. PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it possible to output sound to the TI-83? The external data port is nothing more than a headphone jack.

(Imagines Gameboy DDR-style MIDI music X-D

Last edited by tac-tics on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

108. PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tac-tics wrote:
Isn't it possible to output sound to the TI-83? The external data port is nothing more than a headphone jack.
So? Who cares what kind of connector there is. Is there a chip behind it that can make audio waveforms?

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

109. PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
tac-tics wrote:
So? Who cares what kind of connector there is. Is there a chip behind it that can make audio waveforms?

I would have to send information directly to the link port. You could probably get some square waves at best, and a few more compliocated sounds with some tricks. I don't know how to do any of that any way!
GARYsurvivor wrote:
Actually it can. You know how the Nintendo had like 8 bit sound, well the calculator can only have 2 bit sound. All I can say is that it would be the lowest quality music ever. laugh.gif
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

110. PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not what I call "music". E10.gif It barely qualifies as "sound". E10.gif

This kinda falls in line with using the internal potentiometers in the PowerBook G4 as a 3D input device. E10.gif You can use a sound card's input jacks as a oscilloscope, sure, but it's a rather roundabout way of doing it, and it doesn't work so well.

Some hacks just aren't meant to be.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
stickfigureman3
Trick Member
Trick Member

111. PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headphones don't fit into a TI-83 link port...however, cell phone headsets fit in (no clue if they work or not). There have been some games that did claim they have sound though (I think there was a pong game like that on ticalc.org), so if you can find the programmers for those games, you could possibly ask about that.

I'm really looking fowards to this though...it's looks like it's shaping up to be better than the ubercrappy version from some other person last year.
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

112. PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stickfigureman3 wrote:
I'm really looking fowards to this though...it's looks like it's shaping up to be better than the ubercrappy version from some other person last year.

The person that made that needs to die... devil.gif
maxx freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

113. PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont make all the arrows the same black. it'll be hard to read the 1/8 and 1/16 beats if all the arrows are black. disturb.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

114. PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I really want to make a complicated interrupt that controls the shading of the arrows so that it can screw up button reading so that you can't hold freeze arrows correctly without your calculator crashing! It's not worth the effort, seriously. E13.gif
gameboyguy13
Trick Member
Trick Member

115. PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxx freak wrote:
dont make all the arrows the same black. it'll be hard to read the 1/8 and 1/16 beats if all the arrows are black. disturb.gif

Start practicing on Flat, then...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nightime
Trick Member
Trick Member

116. PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could always go the Solo route, if it supports shading. Just make 1/2 and 2/3 beats an outline, and 1/4 and 1/3 beats a middle shade.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
[ES] GARYsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

117. PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ES] GARYsurvivor wrote:
Oh yeah, I really want to make a complicated interrupt that controls the shading of the arrows so that it can screw up button reading so that you can't hold freeze arrows correctly without your calculator crashing! It's not worth the effort, seriously. E13.gif
jamygabb
Trick Member
Trick Member

118. PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck Gary and don't try to make it a rush, people, if u rush him he will make it not as good as he intended to. E13.gif
runwithscizzors9
Trick Member
Trick Member

119. PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it be ready by the end of the month? cause thats when school starts
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: