Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Q&A with John Tam, producer of In The Groove for PS2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyrandian
Trick Member
Trick Member

40. PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAAAX_HIMSELF wrote:
ON ITG can you turn the mines off???
Yes. The answers to most of these questions can be found without having to ask the game's producer.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Ryu_Hirakashi
Trick Member
Trick Member

41. PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is:

What do you hope to accomplish with this project??

What will it take for it to be considered a success in your eyes??

I would like to hear more insight on what attracted you to this project.

Hirakashi Ryu
For a beginner, if learning how to play pop'n music is like a parent holding his / her child's hand while crossing a busty street, then learning to play IIDX is like being kicked out of a moving car in the middle of nowhere and having to scrape enough money for a taxi cab ride home.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
midnightclub x
Trick Member
Trick Member

42. PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be any unlockables?
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

43. PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be at least 15 unlockables as the 15 unlockables will be songs. These unlockable songs are the exact songs that had to be unlocked on the arcade version.

I'm serious, a lot of these questions don't really need to be asked to Mr. Tam.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Raf
Basic Member
Basic Member

44. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St00pidBaka // BluR wrote:
Raf wrote:
Why are the songs so terrible? LOL
Why are you selling stepmania?
Why do all Smiley songs sound the same?

Game sucks.

This is why we need Konami original songs.

Worst questions ever. -_- I think mods should check this thread for trolling.

Smiley's songs sound similar because they're of the same music genre which is happy hardcore. They are not selling StepMania. -_- The songs aren't bad. In my opinion, ITG has better songs then DDR.

No, I definitely know GOOD happy hardcore when I hear it. Happy 2B Hardcore, anyone? Those "songs" are just excuses to throw in a bunch of extra arrows. It IS Stepmania. Did you even read the credits? I will admit that ITG 2 has a better song selection. The only reason people play In The Groove is because it is hard AND YOU ALL KNOW IT. You don't care if the songs are bland. It's like settling for Wal-mart brand products.

So yeah, feel free to edit my posts or whatever if you don't like it.
Trick Member
Trick Member

45. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raf:

While musically I'm inclined to agree with you, I don't think you can really know others' reason for enjoying the game, or come up with good reasons to insult it in an environment such as this one...

Even if it is that ITG is only played for its difficulty, that's fine...People want something newer than DDR, what does it matter? (Though I don't think that really is the reason for ITG's popularity...I have heard plenty of people say the music is better, although I personally don't like most of it.)

And the whole, "It is StepMania" argument is utterly pointless. StepMania is a simulation program; it has no SET game music - which would mean that you're saying ITG is only a game that can emulate stepfiles...which is exactly what any DDR-esque cabinet is. Yes, it's made by the same people - that only means that a bunch of talented dudes made it - and StepMania is a lot of fun. So "why would anyone sell StepMania?" is easily answered with: "It's fun." I too would like to see new Konami songs, but I don't see ITG as a substitute for DDR's absence, it's just an alternative videogame. Leave it alone.

Anyway, my question would have to be: Would the team of ITG feel threatened or pleased with a hypothetical return of Konami's American arcade division?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
arnoct
Trick Member
Trick Member

46. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raf wrote:
St00pidBaka // BluR wrote:
Raf wrote:
Why are the songs so terrible? LOL
Why are you selling stepmania?
Why do all Smiley songs sound the same?

Game sucks.

This is why we need Konami original songs.

Worst questions ever. -_- I think mods should check this thread for trolling.

Smiley's songs sound similar because they're of the same music genre which is happy hardcore. They are not selling StepMania. -_- The songs aren't bad. In my opinion, ITG has better songs then DDR.

No, I definitely know GOOD happy hardcore when I hear it. Happy 2B Hardcore, anyone? Those "songs" are just excuses to throw in a bunch of extra arrows. It IS Stepmania. Did you even read the credits? I will admit that ITG 2 has a better song selection. The only reason people play In The Groove is because it is hard AND YOU ALL KNOW IT. You don't care if the songs are bland. It's like settling for Wal-mart brand products.

So yeah, feel free to edit my posts or whatever if you don't like it.

OSX is Linux! The only people who like OSX are the people who want an easier to use Linux. The only reason people use OSX is because it's easier AND YOU ALL KNOW IT.

/robodex two thousand and five
/#bemani on irc.dynastynet.net -- talk about bemani stuff.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Dark Fish
Trick Member
Trick Member

47. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys completely missed the point of this thread. Thank you for turning it into another big juvenile flamewar on the internet.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Reenee
Trick Member
Trick Member

48. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hardly a flamewar. Raf is just spamming when he should've kept his mouth shut.
View users profile Send private message
yyr
Trick Member
Trick Member

49. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raf wrote:
The only reason people play In The Groove is because it is hard AND YOU ALL KNOW IT.

Uh, I play it because it's fun. The Hard steps aren't overly hard, and they're fun to play. And the songlist's way better than Extreme USA. I suggest you actually try playing the game before you make yourself look like an idiot...oops, too late.

Oh, yeah, a question. If ITG PS2 is successful, I figure we'll probably see ITG2 come home as well. Would you consider making the sequel cross-platform, releasing an Xbox version as well as a PS2 version? Would online features such as scoreboards, Edit trading and even vs. play be considered for any version of ITG2?

~yyr
Basic Member
Basic Member

50. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any plans for a Xbox/Gamecube release?
dieKatze88
Trick Member
Trick Member

51. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of the fact that DDR hasnt seen an arcade presence in quite some time (I personaly dont think Fusion counts.) Do you think it was a worthwhile idea to put SpaceKatz (Fomerly Bus Stop) and E-Rotic/Missing Heart songs on the game? Do you think this increased the games popularity any? Will this kind of licencing continue in ITG2?
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

52. PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieKatze88 wrote:
In light of the fact that DDR hasnt seen an arcade presence in quite some time (I personaly dont think Fusion counts.) Do you think it was a worthwhile idea to put SpaceKatz (Fomerly Bus Stop) and E-Rotic/Missing Heart songs on the game? Do you think this increased the games popularity any? Will this kind of licencing continue in ITG2?

I believe it has. Former DDR songs have been licensed for ITG2. Bumblebee, Typical Tropical, and Sunshine (The one by Triple J from 4th Mix) to name a few.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
whitewulfe
Trick Member
Trick Member

53. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that some of the question are hypothetical...

If ITG was ever to be translated over to the Xbox, would there be XboxLive support built in, and/or support for more than two people at once?

Will there be support for the multi-tap for four player versus in the PS2 release, or will it follow along the lines of two at once like how the arcade is?

Will there be online support for the PS2 release?
Zhegan
Basic Member
Basic Member

54. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the game DOES get USB support, would it be possible to import stepmania files? (Using a memorystick, and/or the PS2's harddrive)
GeeForce
Trick Member
Trick Member

55. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you go about putting 10s-13s on a console version, knowing that they might be played on a softpad? Did you dumb them up, or just hope that everyone has a CF?

Do you personally think that this will outdo the console DDR games? (I know we all do, I'm asking the guy.)

Do you play ITG/DDR/PIU? How good are you? E15.gif

There's more floating around in my head, maybe I'll edit in latur.

Tassadar wrote:
MinsiKid wrote:
is just a good feeling.

Have you considered heroin?
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

56. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeForce272 wrote:
How did you go about putting 10s-13s on a console version, knowing that they might be played on a softpad? Did you dumb them up, or just hope that everyone has a CF?

Do you personally think that this will outdo the console DDR games? (I know we all do, I'm asking the guy.)

Do you play ITG/DDR/PIU? How good are you? E15.gif

There's more floating around in my head, maybe I'll edit in latur.

The songs are going to be the same stepcharts from the arcade. They might have alternate hard steps, etc. as I've seen them on the ITG2 videos I've watched.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
GeeForce
Trick Member
Trick Member

57. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed that, but think about it...

Didn't the coders, while entering the stepcharts, think to themselves "someone's gonna be playing this on a softpad? No way!!"? or something..

Tassadar wrote:
MinsiKid wrote:
is just a good feeling.

Have you considered heroin?
Sinistar
Trick Member
Trick Member

58. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that ITG's biggest marketing hurdle is to get new players to see it as different than DDR. To date, the provided differentiations have all revolved around the enhanced mods in ITG. What other ways, if any, will ITG/Roxor/RedOctane work to firmly place the ITG brand in players' minds?

What references were used in creating ITG's Fitness Mode? Are the numbers behind things like the calorie counts based on actual fitness data? If so, whose? If not, what are they based upon?

CF cbox mods and more at the 'Pad'
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

59. PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeForce272 wrote:
I assumed that, but think about it...

Didn't the coders, while entering the stepcharts, think to themselves "someone's gonna be playing this on a softpad? No way!!"? or something..

I don't think so. They pretty much know that the newbies are going to be playing on their official soft pad which could probably take lots of "damage" to it up to 9s anyways.

They know the hardcore players that are doing the harder songs are well, hardcore. They're the people that are going to be buying CFs and other metal pads, as well as high quality soft pads like RO Ignitions.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: