Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The "How do you do the steps for ____ Topic"
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
'Ivan
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: The "How do you do the steps for ____ Topic" Reply with quote

In the spirit of scotty's exact same thread for DDR players in the DDR Gameplay forum, and seeing I did a search already and this kind of topic doesn't seem to exist yet for ITG, here we go.

The point is the same as the other one-- post here if you need help with playing a specific In The Groove song.

I've got one.

Beginning and maybe a little bit of the middle for Tell Expert. I'm pretty sure we call them step jumps (see A Oni for examples), but I can NOT freakin' tell how to do them this fast. Help anyone?

If you end up joining, put "ThreeLeafIvy" in the referrer box, will ya? E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J. S. Mill
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which section of The Beginning? The end?
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can "cheat" the jumps (just sorta roll your feet really fast), but the best way to actually do them is to just practice doing the step-step-jump off the pad and speeding your feet up while you try to land the jump with both feet simultaneously.

as a side note, there is a bug I've found in SM where if you hit one step of a jump roughly a third of a beat early, and then hit the other step of the jump dead on, you'll still get a fantastic. I found this while playing "we know what to do" in SM, full comboing it without actually hitting two keys simultaneously. it may just be on my computer, but many of SM's bugs have found their way onto ITG, so you might want to experiment with that.
View users profile Send private message
Mulletron
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been like that since Extreme (Thats as far back as I go in my DDR History) But... about those steps... its really about BS'ing them... I usually end up doing.. Step Jump jump. or... Step step step step step, as if the last three were 32nds.. and it gives me Excellents.

Mulletron.

Signature Shrunk.

My NNR Page
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
'Ivan
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPF5.Kiba wrote:
Which section of The Beginning? The end?

D'oh. The Beginning is indeed a song, I had forgotten. I mean the step jumps in the beginning to the middle of Tell Expert.

Stupid step jumps. What do you mean by "rolling your feet really fast"?

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LET ME SHOW YOU THEM
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jump window in ITG is pretty big, so you can cheat them fairly easily. The same also applies for triples and quads..some players do a fast 32nd note run because the grade you get on that step is determined by when you hit the LAST note of it.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ninjafetus
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caffywhompus wrote:
The jump window in ITG is pretty big, so you can cheat them fairly easily. The same also applies for triples and quads..some players do a fast 32nd note run because the grade you get on that step is determined by when you hit the LAST note of it.

really? That's news to me. That's also quite abusable... Hmmmmmmmmmm devil.gif

I can't really give much advice other than practice. I had a huge problem with this, too, but over time, I just go the hang of it. No tricks, just getting used to it frown.gif
diddrstrait
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Ivan wrote:

Stupid step jumps. What do you mean by "rolling your feet really fast"?

instead of hitting lets say, Left-right-LRjump, go left-right-(shuffle your feet really fast on left and right).

yes, the jump window in ITG and SM is easily abusable. it seems to me that the system takes the latest hit of the jump and gives it that rating, so if you hit left slightly early and you hit right dead on, you'll get a fantastic, but if you hit left dead on and then hit right slightly late, you'll get an excellent. to FA jumps I usually try to hit them slightly early, as my feet probably won't hit at EXACTLY the same time in a song like tell. this has gotten me very close to full comboing it (88.9% or so).
'Ivan
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried it (the 32nd run for the step jumps on Tell Ex), and it works just as you said. Kills my PA (shouldn't it be called FA now? laugh.gif ) though.

Can anyone here do those properly, however?

diddrstrait
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Ivan wrote:
Can anyone here do those properly, however?

yep. i certaintly can, though at points my timing gets a little thrown off and sometimes I'll get a few misses. MegamanX got 95 on it, and he said the only reason he got such a high score was because he actually forced his feet to do the jumps properly. I think it all boils down to practice. The only way to do them "properly" is to just do them until you get good at them.
Ferio
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed when i'm beggining to get tired from playing Tell I have been able to do some of Tell's jumps without jumping but by lifting and reapplying pressure.

Man those great windows are huge. And anyways i'm 45 kgs so why not use it as an advantage (freezes kill me though sometimes disturb.gif ).

I'm gonna go try this rolling trick now
Syncopation
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you do the steps for Lemmings on the Run, Double, Medium level 6?

It seems I end up double stepping or even toe-tapping during several of the patterns during both of the chorus sections ("we are the lemmings on the run...")

Am I missing something, like hop-steps or reverse crossovers? I'm already playing at 1.5x for improved readability.
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't seen the chart, but if complex turning is throwing you off, I'd put it on 1x so you can read farther ahead to see what's coming up.
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the freezes on disconnected mobius (where you practically have to hold three arrows at once) make me cry. Are you supposed to use hands or just do some awkward sliding?
Boochypa
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtwieg wrote:
the freezes on disconnected mobius (where you practically have to hold three arrows at once) make me cry. Are you supposed to use hands or just do some awkward sliding?

You're supposed to NOT slide.

You can crossover the entire section without ever having to doublestep.

Last edited by Boochypa on Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
PKMN.YnoT
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dictionary.com wrote:
mobius strip
n : a continuous closed surface with only one side; formed from a rectangular strip by rotating one end 180 degrees and joining it with the other end

Hence Disconnected Mobius. 180 degree (i.e. Left foot on Right arrow while Right foot on Left Arrow or vice versa) crossovers.

Last edited by PKMN.YnoT on Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
diddrstrait
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, I confirmed the jump exploit today (just in case there is any confusion). I pulled a 98% easily on land of the rising sun hard without ever doing a single "jump". yeah...
JimTheFly
Staff Member
Staff Member

17. PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtwieg wrote:

To my recollection, D-Mobius has NO hands in it (a hand being any combination of simultaneous hits and/or freezes totalling 3 or more). There are a pair of sections, however, where there are a number of freeze arrows which basically force your body to turn nearly away from the screen in one direction, then back in the other direction. One set is measures 5-11, and the other is measures 28-36. In neither one do you need to slide, doublestep, etc.

This actually tends to be a rather popular "gimmick" (for lack of a better word) in ITG to keep people from double-stepping parts of some of their songs, forcing them instead to turn almost away from the screen. You can find these in Queen of Light (Expert) and Bend Your Mind (most difficulties) as well. Ironically, the body positioning is the same as that for the middle of the "Afronova turn" (see Afronova Maniac, measures 17-24, right before the large number of jumps): Left foot on the Right arrow, right foot on the Left arrow.

Another good example of steps like this (although they're not freezes) is Solina Doubles Hard. I've often found them to be quite fun, as long as you don't try to double-step them. These kinds of steps are designed to resolve themselves so that you're back to right-on-right, left-on-left orientation.

You'll find that you pretty much just need to have faith that the steps can and will work out for something like this. Try it, check the stepchart, or play a simfile of it and you'll see what I mean.

Co-Host: Video Game Zombies Podcast
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
ninjafetus
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Ivan wrote:
Kills my PA (shouldn't it be called FA now? laugh.gif ) though.

I still call it PA... for "percent attack" E1.gif
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtwieg wrote:
Just turn through all of the freezes. I've FC'd that song without dropping a freeze, hitting a mine, or using my hands... and I suck at this game. Just trust the turns and twist your body. Nothing forces you to do a full spin.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: