Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The OFFICIAL DDR and ItG Thread! No Flaming!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICNH
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: The OFFICIAL DDR and ItG Thread! No Flaming! Reply with quote

This thread is where you can have an intelligent conversation between DDR and ItG. Discuss what you like about ItG or DDR, the pros and cons of each, etc.

Good: I prefer ItG because it has mines and hands, with make it more fun IMO.
Bad: OMG U LIKA DA ITG U SUCK MAN!!!111one!!!!

And please, don't be a poopypants. Respect others' opinions and be good little boys and girls.

Last edited by ICNH on Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
ApocalypseKnight
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR is still my favorite because it has still the best songs, it gives you a great excersise and helps u make more friends. i have nothing bad to say about the game.
ITG- i like more mods and some good songs and it is just about the same. Bad thing about it they dont have alot of machines
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
IamMe
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer ItG because its level of difficulty, and because it does have the occasional awesome song, like "while the Rekkid Spinz" or "Disconnected Hyper". The only reason DDR isn't so great anymore is because I realize that soon I'm going to get bored as hell with it because it's too easy.
Oh and, I'm sure they're going to get more ItG machines in, not to mention ItG 2.
Apex
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope we get an ITG machine here in the Spokane, WA area.

I like ITG because it generally has better songs, and the challenge level is drastically higher in ITG. I also think the stepcharts in ITG are generally more fun and thought-out more. The steps in ITG remind me of some of the stepcharts from 3rd/4th mix. those were really nice, the newer stepcharts are generally boring. ITG's harder songs look and feel more impressive. "Max Unlimited"'s " and" The Legend of Max"'s only fast parts are high speed 'dead end' style movements, which are very annoying to do at speed. ITG's higher speed parts like that in "Delirium" or "Vertex" are not actually strenuously dificult, but they have more, and the bit that you do is more fun, and looks more impressive.

There's also the percentage DP based scoring system in ITG which i like alot more. I've never been that great at getting AAA's, but i've Black Flagged over 150 songs in DDR. I HATE that. in ITG, you can black flag something and still double or single star the song, or even beat an opponent that "AAA'd" it. because it calculates the "Fantastic-Excelent" ratio as well. I'm generally very accurate, but I slip up every now and then, which makes my ITG scores great, and my DDR scores not-so-great.
Having a score list for every song is an immeasureably superior feature as well.
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

4. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apex wrote:
and the challenge level is drastically higher in ITG.

Because they decided to put 16th note runs in whenever they couldn't think of anything better to do. Sure, difficulty is high in a sense that you might not be able to keep up with the song. But in teching a song, a long stream of the same notes is relatively easier than a broken pattern.

Quote:
I also think the stepcharts in ITG are generally more fun and thought-out more. The steps in ITG remind me of some of the stepcharts from 3rd/4th mix. those were really nice, the newer stepcharts are generally boring.

Though-out in what sense? I really don't think many were really thought-out well at all. For instance many of the Hard charts suffer from something called ETS (Electro Tuned Standard) Syndrome. Where the entire song makes you face one direction. Oasis hard is a blantant problem with this, and could have been solved by changing a few up and down arrows.

Quote:
ITG's harder songs look and feel more impressive. "Max Unlimited"'s " and" The Legend of Max"'s only fast parts are high speed 'dead end' style movements, which are very annoying to do at speed.

There's no song in ITG that is even close to the genius who put together MaxX Unlimited. And there is no run in MaxX Unlimited that last more than a measure and a half, and it's the hardest song in the game to tech. As for fast speed movements. Sure, Dead End body turning are obviously more difficult than an ETS run, PSMO is a extreme example. But putting together a clean chart to accomplish this, simply wasn't done.
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardcore of the north is made up of broken patterns, as is euphoria. neither of those songs contain straight 16th note runs longer than a measure I believe. as much as people like to rag on foy, I believe his charts are very unique and well thought-out. Personally I don't care for many of KeeLs steps because of the "left-itis" present in a lot of what he does, but that seems to have been remedied in ITG2.

If you haven't seen them yet, take a look at the alt-hard steps for clockwork genesis...it's essentially a sorrow song at 175, which is incredibly unique. Amore is another song that is remeniscent of a DDR sorrow song.

I think the problem here is people are comparing ITG to Extreme. It's easy to forget that ITG1 is a FIRST MIX. Sure, they have about five years of past DDR mixes to build off of, and in the area of gameplay mechanics (scoring, mod innovations, new step-types like mines, etc) and song selection they did very well. but since it is a first mix, you never know for sure if you've done things right until it hits the market.

The game had three test locations and the only feedback was from players at these locations. Now that the game is public, improvements in stepchart design are being made. It took until 3rd and 4th mix for DDR to have some flowing stepcharts that didn't involve copious amounts of counter-intuitive doublestepping/spinning. I think we'll see the same sort of improvement in stepchart design when ITG gets more of a footing in the market and gains more feedback from players.
View users profile Send private message
IamMe
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.
[DMB]dman.exe
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like ITG more because I'm up for something new. If Konami came out with an Extreme 2 upgrade kit, then I'd chose DDR over ITG. To me, ITg has a better song selection (broader) as opposed to DDR's limited, usually repetive over mixes, song list. ITG just has more...expandability (as I would put it).
-SuperZero3 Gold-
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITG is a DDR Rip-Off. Entirely. In every way. They even tried to cover it up.

BUT, it is a kick-ass ripoff. That's usually what happens when a game is made by players and for players.

Edit:You know what, I'm gonna sig myself for that.

Give me a challenge so I know what to play next time I go.

ULTIMATE HIGH SCHOOL SPRING SEASON:
Ooltewah is the UPA 2008 High School State Champion! Yay for doing something before leaving high school.

Last edited by -SuperZero3 Gold- on Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of like how Double Dragon is a ripoff of River City Ransom, and King of Fighters is a ripoff of Street Fighter.

They're still both awesome games... and nobody got sued. laugh.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Man wrote:
I like ITG more because I'm up for something new. If Konami came out with an Extreme 2 upgrade kit, then I'd chose DDR over ITG. To me, ITg has a better song selection (broader) as opposed to DDR's limited, usually repetive over mixes, song list. ITG just has more...expandability (as I would put it).

I like ITG more too, mainly because there's no new DDR mix. I see how DDR's repetitive over mixes, but as much as I like ITG, I'd have to say, quite a few songs in ITG sound RATHER similar. e.g. Delirium, Xuxa, July, Summer to me sounds very much alike... ... i.e. a lot of E1.gif 's songs sound very similar, and also some of KaW's sound rather alike as well (Dawn and Kagami), just to point that out (I guess this is only for songs with no lyrics). Just to point out what I think. I still like ITG better though.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y noT wrote:
quite a few songs in ITG sound RATHER similar. e.g. Delirium, Xuxa, July, Summer to me sounds very much alike... ... i.e. a lot of E1.gif 's songs sound very similar, and also some of KaW's sound rather alike as well (Dawn and Kagami)

And in DDR Max300 and Maxx Unlimited sound alike. B4U, D2R, and 1998 sound alike. And hey, Destiny and Hyper Eurobeat sound the same. And while were at it, Paranoia sounds like Paranoia rebirth.
PedanticOmbudsman
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on just a few hours with ITG:

Graphics, interface, and "polish": strong advantage ITG.
Modifiers and cool little features: strong advantage ITG.
Music quantity: strong advantge DDR.
Music variety: advantage DDR.
Overall music quality: slight advantage ITG.
Noteskins: advantage ITG.
Step quality in the 3-6 foot range: advantage DDR*.
Giant robots in background movies: strong advantage DDR.
Integration of bgmovies with music: advantage ITG.
Announcer (or lack thereof): advantage ITG.

* I know most of the ITG step-design work went into the upper-level steps, but since I probably won't be trying any of them for quite a while, I want to comment on some of the lower-level steps. Having only been doing DDR part-time for a couple of months, I do mainly 4-5 footers on DDR, with a few of my favorite 3's and a handful of 6's. I first tried some 3's on ITG to break myself in and found them to be much easier and less interesting than DDR 3's, so I've confined myself to 4's and 5's (plus a bit of dabbling in 6's). They're noticibly different from DDR stepscharts, but they don't seem to have as much variety from one ITG song to another as Standard-mode DDR songs do. I liked the ITG stepcarts, but none of the ITG 3-5 footers had any features that made me say "whoa, that's awesome, I want to try that again." I can't really remember what the steps were like for any individual ITG song with only a handful of exceptions. DDR has a lot of memorable stepcharts even on Standard (i.e. the mad jumping of Witch Doctor, the long eighth-note run on Saint Goes Marching, etc). ITG also seems to feature a lot fewer jumps and a lot more eighth-steps in its lower-level stepcharts. Although this can make things more difficult to some of us, this earlier introduction of eights might help people to advance up the ladder to the "real" stepcharts faster by forcing early and frequent practice.

I really like ITG and I think it's a beautiful, professional, highly-polished product that's a lot of fun. I don't think I'd tell an arcade with only one DDR machine to rip it apart and upgrade it just yet, but I love arcades that have both DDR and ITG. I hope that arcades will soon be investing in the new ITG2 cabinet, which looks awesome, and will help with the problem of the many deteriorating DDR pads out there.
PKMN.YnoT
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracosavant wrote:
Y noT wrote:
quite a few songs in ITG sound RATHER similar. e.g. Delirium, Xuxa, July, Summer to me sounds very much alike... ... i.e. a lot of E1.gif 's songs sound very similar, and also some of KaW's sound rather alike as well (Dawn and Kagami)

And in DDR Max300 and Maxx Unlimited sound alike. B4U, D2R, and 1998 sound alike. And hey, Destiny and Hyper Eurobeat sound the same. And while were at it, Paranoia sounds like Paranoia rebirth.

I agree
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely adore the songs in ItG. Perhaps there isn't as much variety as in recent DDR excursions, but it's all dance music that works, and it flows well. I don't see myself "dancing" to Kids in America anytime soon in ItG.

On the other hand, ItG Expert charts are usually ugly and messy. I don't care about the actual difficulty, but just overall their aesthetic sense. It's a silly complaint, but there's no reason to have a mine on a 64th beat making it totally incongruous to everything that's going on. But that's about the extent of my ItG experience, and DDR has churned out its fair share of weird garbage stepcharts. It just seems more pronounced in ItG where we have random 32nds; and 32nd steps very rarely flow even remotely well. I'll need to spend lots of time with the home version before I can really say anything, but at a glance the Expert charts just seem so convoluted. I've already been over this in another topic. DDR tends to underuse song potential to create sparse, boring charts, ItG tends to overuse song potential resulting in step overload. Ironically, I think the Pandemonium Expert chart is one of the better thought-out ItG Expert charts. It's the hardest, for sure, but it also looks good and makes sense for the most part. Also, I suck at hand plants so I'm biased. =P

But these are just initial statements; like I said, I really need to spend some time with the ItG home version, and I totally plan to get it. I'm getting bored with MAXUS; it's starting to wear itself out. ^_^; And did I mention how much I'm in love with all the ItG songs? Brilliant choices, simply amazing, very little I can complain about.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Dracosavant
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, what random 32nd notes? The only song I know of in ITG with 'random' 32nd notes is Do U love Me.
diddrstrait
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracosavant wrote:
Wait, what random 32nd notes? The only song I know of in ITG with 'random' 32nd notes is Do U love Me.

I believe you are correct sir (except I think those actually might be sixlets...I never play that song anyway). and maybe tension expert...I don't really agree with the two little 32nd note things they threw in there, but I don't like that chart much anyway. everything else goes with the music though (yes, even anubis...a lot of people complain about the 32nds in there, but they go with the drums in the background).
PKMN.YnoT
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see... Anubis has some 32nds, Zodiac has like 2 places with 32nds. Vertex has 16ths at 250bpm which is basically 32nds... That's all I remember for now.

EDIT: oops, I skipped over the word "random"... Yeah Do U Luv Me's about the only song with Random 32nds imo.

Last edited by PKMN.YnoT on Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

18. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncognition wrote:
hardcore of the north is made up of broken patterns, as is euphoria. neither of those songs contain straight 16th note runs longer than a measure I believe.

And the rest of the harder charts?

Quote:
If you haven't seen them yet, take a look at the alt-hard steps for clockwork genesis...it's essentially a sorrow song at 175, which is incredibly unique. Amore is another song that is remeniscent of a DDR sorrow song.

I vaguely remember seeing the steps for Clockwork Genesis, I'll check again later. But Amore is not sorrow, that's called adding a gallop to the vocals and calling it sorrow. It's difficult to actually put together a sorrow song as one. Many songs don't even call for it.

Quote:
I think the problem here is people are comparing ITG to Extreme. It's easy to forget that ITG1 is a FIRST MIX. Sure, they have about five years of past DDR mixes to build off of, and in the area of gameplay mechanics (scoring, mod innovations, new step-types like mines, etc) and song selection they did very well. but since it is a first mix, you never know for sure if you've done things right until it hits the market.

What's bold is what counts. It's obvious DDR has done well. Regardless if ITG is the first version, there are plenty of versions of a successful game that could be studied. The excuse that it is the first version only works from a specific game title sense. Not in the dancing game genre.

Quote:
It took until 3rd and 4th mix for DDR to have some flowing stepcharts that didn't involve copious amounts of counter-intuitive doublestepping/spinning. I think we'll see the same sort of improvement in stepchart design when ITG gets more of a footing in the market and gains more feedback from players.

Feedback from players has been happening with DDR for years. With this information, there should have been no problem putting together something for everyone. But I believe ITG failed to use a lot of that information and went in many wrong directions, especially chart-wise. When DDR first made it's charts, they were the first of their kind. When ITG made theirs, most of the step-artists have been making charts for years (whether they be and edit, or simulator), with a massive quantity of charts.

But not so much quality.

Arctic Wolves wrote:
On the other hand, ItG Expert charts are usually ugly and messy. I don't care about the actual difficulty, but just overall their aesthetic sense.

Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: itg Reply with quote

I have never played "in the groove", nor heard about it until joining this site. How is it different from DDR?
The potential you'll be that you'll never see
The promises you'll only make
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: