Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

DDR player getting started with ItG? Read here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slayer³
Trick Member
Trick Member

180. PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should be fine moving to Expert.
Try out a few 9 experts before moving into the tens.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

181. PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Flat footing is just as it sounds, you attempt to apply the entire surface of your foot onto an arrow with each step. This does a few things:

-Minimizes the chances for a "pad miss" due to one or more faulty sensors.
-Makes your stepping more consistent. If your entire foot is consistently being applied to the arrow with each step, there will be less variances in "springing" back from each step as you would if you were playing on the balls of your feet.
-Playing this way does take more energy, because all the kinetic force is being pushed straight into the pad and sensors and less of that energy is being used to "rebound" your foot (as is the case when you play on the balls of your feet).

Some may argue with me on these points, but if you are truly "flat foot" playing, then these effects are usually accurate. Flat footing has significantly increased many player's accuracy. However, I know that with my experience, it drastically reduces my stamina and abilities to "pass" more difficult songs. When I do pass them, my grade is usually very respectable. However, unless I start using the balls of my feet to reduce kenetic energy loss, I will run out of steam when trying to pass 12 step songs flat footing.

This is from DukAmok's guide; more helpful in the long run:
Quote:
C. Foot Control
Many people have split themselves into either "flat-footed" or "toes" styles of play. I disagree with this; I instead advocate a "whole foot" style of play. I use my toes when they are the best choice, and I use my heels as well. It is very situational, and very open to adaptation. I strongly suggest switching to this "whole foot" style, and maximizing the whole surface area of your foot, not arbitrarily confining yourself to one or two small sections.

Fine foot control is based mainly around the ankle and smaller foot muscles. You use these muscles to bend and twist your foot in such a way so that as your leg moves it towards the panel, the optimum surface of your foot is already in position. So if your right foot is approaching the Up arrow, you should naturally start to angle your foot down towards your toe, and even curve slightly if you can do so. Hitting with the "toe" part of your foot (its actually the ball) as opposed to the heel or middle, allows for a great decrease in actual foot movement, as it takes at least 6-8 inches off of your actual travel distance. Similarly, the opposite would be true for the down arrow. Bend your foot upwards, and your heel should be the main part in contact with the arrow.

I can't stress how important this is to learn how to implement effectively. Learn how to angle and curve your feet, and you will save yourself tons of energy. A good practice for learning how to control angles of your feet (as well as build muscles you probably didn't know you had) is to "heel-toe" songs, also known as "bracket-raping". This is done by your right foot across a "right" corner (typically U/R, but can also be D/R), and your left foot across the opposite corner. This should leave you with your right toe on the up arrow, right heel on the right arrow, left toe on the left arrow, and left heel on the down arrow. With a simple angle of your foot, you can trigger any panel. Of course, it takes some work to learn how to effectively control this, but it’s great for building the muscles and control needed to effectively control your feet during normal game play as well. I'm just briefly touching on it here, but there’s much more on this subject. Maybe I'll write something on it later.

Jin531
Basic Member
Basic Member

182. PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Is this "whole-foot" thing different from flat-footing? It sounds the same from what I've read. You hit up and left with your toes and down and right with your heels to minimize step distance, right?

Last questions, do a lot of ITG players use this flat-foot (or whole-foot, I dunno) thing? I want to be able to pass Utopia Expert before school starts and this seems to be a good idea to learn. I don't want to be going off on the wrong path, though. And why is there that stupid middle part with the one arrow thing? Does that go with anything?
View users profile Send private message
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

183. PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People refer to it as the same thing; dukamok is just very specific. You should not worry so much about the second quote and the "whole foot technique" at first. Just learn how to step on the panels with your whole foot as opposed to just your toes, then come back to it. Also it will take several games to transition so if you are going off to school soon it's not really worth it (unless you are going to play there).
Toraie
Trick Member
Trick Member

184. PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually learned to do this on DDR because I didn't have ITG at the time, but it's helped my technique exponentially. I couldn't get close to passing Max 300 before I learned to bracket, and now I get consistent Bs...but that's going to get better. xD

it took hours of practice, and I even went back to Standard for a while, but it paid off when I figured out you had to combine the L(eft foot)=U/L(eft arrow) stance with the L=D/L stance and switch between them. My advice is to not learn it the hard way, hurrhurr.
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
xDavidxMoFox
Basic Member
Basic Member

185. PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Pope was going to update this with his stamina guide.

But this is good advice for those who want to get better, as well as those who constantly play.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: