Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

RedOctane Ignition v3.0 (PS/Xbox/PC)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
versatil
Basic Member
Basic Member

660. PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBeing wrote:

Yeah, you don't want to play it viciously. E13.gif
I guess all I can say to try to prolong the life of it is try to minimize the air-time you have (small hops instead of more forceful jumps), instead of pushing down hard try sliding your feet and pressing gently(can't do this at the arcade but it does increase footspeed a bit as well on a home pad) on the more difficult songs.

Also you don't want to transport the pad around too much. It's probably better if it can stay in one place for most of the time (or all of the time). Don't bend or fold it or stand it vertically. If you must, then take the foam pieces out and stack them gently and fold the rest of the pad for transportation or putting it away but I don't recommend this. It probably won't hurt it though; just be careful. It's probably best if you have something you can slide it under (like a big table that's out of the way) or such but you definitely do not want to put anything on top of it. Or just don't put it away; you could leave it out if it's okay with other people you live with or if you live by yourself and are okay with this.

Other than that I think it probably is a matter of luck. If you're lucky maybe you get a better pad than usual and if you're not lucky then sorry about that. Certainly how much you use it factors in to all this but I think as long as you are careful with it it can last a while. Like any pad, I'm sure it will die eventually.

Hrm. I can't change my style to slide around the pad. I used to do that and I find myself messing up or taking things too casually. I may go back and forth between arcade, don't want them interfering like that (lol @ kicking the metal parts in the arcade because of sliding habit. feet like stay in place. woops.)

The pads are kept stood on their side. Or is that what you meant by 'not vertically' that is don't stand it at all?

Hrm. Yeah I agree with luck, usage. Pads are meant to die T_T
View users profile Send private message
HumanBeing
Trick Member
Trick Member

661. PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what I mean. Because it uses interlocking foam puzzle-like pieces on the inside, if you store it on its side, gravity may not be so kind to those interlocking pieces. The weight might not be distributed evenly and some parts of the foam will receive more stress than others. I certainly wouldn't recommend doing that and although I'm not going to say that it definitely will cause problems, it might.

And if you do adopt the sliding playstyle, you will have to regularly switch it up between home and arcade if you want to still be decent at the arcade. I find I'm generally 1 or 2 foot worse at the arcade than at home. I attribute this to the benefit of sliding being absent at arcade. That part is really up to you. I do think it is a little easier on the pad though (less vertical motion so less impact stress I think).

And yeah, if I haven't played in an arcade for a while, I'll generally mess up on the first song for a few steps because I'm not taking the height of the metal between the arrows into enough consideration.

My advice is indeed not to stand it at all. E13.gif
I realize this may not be possible but then you'll have to accept that extra risk factor for your pad in that case.
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

662. PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's how both of my Ignition 3.0's are holding up:

Older one has no inner tears, still pretty sensitive, and doesn't give random pad crap. But it has ripped a lot on the surface, which were covered up with duct tape. Sensors and raised arrows have not shifted.

Newer one has some inner tears, still sensitive, and doesn't give pad misses either. I duct taped the inner rips. Rips on the surface are not significant enough to duct tape, yet. Sensors and raised arrows have not shifted on this pad either.

I bought my older one back in March, and my newer one in June. I'm thinking of doing the doubles mod on my Ignitions.

EDIT:

I took off the duct tape on my older Ignition, and here's what I found:

<-- Suprisingly, still no inner tears.

It still works good, but I'm still somewhat worried.
Total_Beginner
Basic Member
Basic Member

663. PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'm ready to dish out the money for a metal pad so I may be picking up an Ignition. I did skim over this post and it seems the big difference in 3.0 and 2.0 is the USB connection. Is there anything else? I may pick up a used 2.0 to save some cash.
orb
Trick Member
Trick Member

664. PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[nvm]

You might want to go for the used 2.0, as the 3.0 might not last you much longer (it's notorious for poor reliability)
P.I
Trick Member
Trick Member

665. PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

believe it or not, i just got my RO ignition 3.0 the other day. i love it, but it took some getting used to. i have been playing on arcade pads my whole life, and i'm used to recessed arrows, not raised arrows. when i felt the raised arrows on my RO, I assumed for a minute that i was hitting a bar and not the arrow itself. but, once i got used to it, it was all good. i had to break it in a while, for there was dust on the box when i bought it... yeah, it had been rolled up for a while, so it took a little longer to break in is my theory. but i love it
P.I
Trick Member
Trick Member

666. PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total_Beginner wrote:
I don't know if I'm ready to dish out the money for a metal pad so I may be picking up an Ignition. I did skim over this post and it seems the big difference in 3.0 and 2.0 is the USB connection. Is there anything else? I may pick up a used 2.0 to save some cash.

i paid $50 for my brand new 3.0 at a best buy. they offered me a 2 year warranty for an additional 8 bux, which i also picked up. don't think you can get much cheaper than that.
Total_Beginner
Basic Member
Basic Member

667. PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.I wrote:
Total_Beginner wrote:

i paid $50 for my brand new 3.0 at a best buy. they offered me a 2 year warranty for an additional 8 bux, which i also picked up. don't think you can get much cheaper than that.

That is a good price. I've seen them USED on Ebay going for about that much!
crunchewy
Trick Member
Trick Member

668. PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, my Ignition 3.0's continue to serve me well and show no signs of any problems. I'm extremely happy with them. Mind you, I'm only just starting to do Heavy now, but still, I've had absolutely no problems with mine and they show no signs of wear. I weigh about 225. One was bought in May and one in June, both direct from Red Octane (which certainly isn't the cheapest way to get them, but I've also had no problems with mine either and they were perfect out of the box.)

One bad thing is that after getting use to the raised arrows, I found it very difficult to play the arcade version of DDR this past summer (I had never played DDR in the arcade before). But I'm too lacking in confidence to play DDR in front of anyone anyway. E1.gif Still, I think it would be better if the arrows were lowered as to be more like the arcade.
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

669. PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my general experience with Ignition 3.0's.

If you get a good one, you will probably absolutely love it. My current Ignition 3.0, which I've had since March, still works pretty well. I gave my friend my other Ignition 3.0. Although mine is covered in duct tape, and the foam on the arrows and the foam insert have sunk in, it still works pretty much the way it did when I first got it. It doesn't give many pad misses, if any at all, and is still sensitive.

However, I know some of you haven't had much luck with the Ignition 3.0 line. I'm truly curious as to why the quality of the pads seems to be inconsistent. I'm also wondering why most stores don't carry them anymore, at least in my area. My only option is to order online, which costs a lot compared to the price that EB Games and Best Buy had for Ignitions. I bought both of my Ignitions for $50. Is there any store where I can still buy them? Pretty much all the EB Games and GameStop stores I've checked don't have them, though there is one that I haven't looked for Ignitions at yet.
crunchewy
Trick Member
Trick Member

670. PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few at my local Gamestops, all have been in rather dusty looking boxes, so I'd be hesitant to buy one there. I bought both of mine direct from Red Octane and they are both great, so I'd be inclined to buy direct again if I ever need to.
P.I
Trick Member
Trick Member

671. PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got mine at best buy for 50 bux. works great. little dusty because the ones in the front were open. i rummaged through the front ones to get to one in the back. best pad i've owned so far
maxhavoc
Basic Member
Basic Member

672. PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read posts about people able to get this pad at Best Buy, but I don't see it online and I went to my nearest BB and they didn't have it. Is it just that some stores have it and others do not or does BB no longer carry it? What's the deal?
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

673. PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxhavoc wrote:
I've read posts about people able to get this pad at Best Buy, but I don't see it online and I went to my nearest BB and they didn't have it. Is it just that some stores have it and others do not or does BB no longer carry it? What's the deal?

It seems that they no longer carry it, and instead carry really shitty Ignition knock-offs made by React. None of my local Best Buys have it either, and neither do any of my local GameStops, though there are a couple I haven't checked yet.
maxhavoc
Basic Member
Basic Member

674. PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, dammit all. Has anyone been able to find one of these pads in a retail store recently? Like within the past 30 days or so?
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

675. PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure have not seen any in my local stores. I bought my last Ignition at an EB Games in July, and it was the last one they had. I haven't seen any anywhere since then. I guess the only option is to buy them direct from RedOctane, which isn't bad, but it's $50 more on the website than in stores.
crunchewy
Trick Member
Trick Member

676. PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Igntion 3.0 pads and they have been great for me, but recently one of the pads has started having a relatively minor, but still annoying problem. When trying to press Select, unless I touch only the very top edge of that area, it registers as press of Y (or is it X - whatever is just below Select). In fact, sometimes I start getting repeating presses of that Y (or X) button until I step on it. Is there any way to fix this?
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

677. PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchewy, it sounds like your pad had a sensor shift. The only ways to fix it (at least the only ones I know of) is to replace the foam in the pad (the foam under the top graphics layer, not the foam insert or arrows), or open up the pad and straighten out the sensor sheet. I haven't had that problem in either of the Ignitions I've bought.
Here's a guide on how to replace the inner foam.
SilasX
Contributor
Contributor

678. PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureBlue wrote:
Here's my general experience with Ignition 3.0's.

If you get a good one, you will probably absolutely love it. My current Ignition 3.0, which I've had since March, still works pretty well. I gave my friend my other Ignition 3.0. Although mine is covered in duct tape, and the foam on the arrows and the foam insert have sunk in, it still works pretty much the way it did when I first got it. It doesn't give many pad misses, if any at all, and is still sensitive.

However, I know some of you haven't had much luck with the Ignition 3.0 line. I'm truly curious as to why the quality of the pads seems to be inconsistent.

Ditto. I loved my first few, but they seemed to wear out in under 90 days. Now they last much longer, probably a year, assuming you repair outer damage with duct tape (which work very well). Though I may be blurring my experience with v2 in here.
Contributor
Contributor

679. PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crunchewy wrote:
FYI, my Ignition 3.0's continue to serve me well and show no signs of any problems. I'm extremely happy with them. Mind you, I'm only just starting to do Heavy now, but still, I've had absolutely no problems with mine and they show no signs of wear. I weigh about 225. One was bought in May and one in June, both direct from Red Octane (which certainly isn't the cheapest way to get them, but I've also had no problems with mine either and they were perfect out of the box.)

Hey, you seem just like me, or were, since I weigh the same an play on heavy on Ignition 3.0s, an in fact, heavily support their use E1.gif See sig.

They do run into problems (at least unmodded) on 10-footers, in my experience, since at that point, any slight sticking between your pad and your feet (among other factors) will make it hard to press quickly.

Quote:
One bad thing is that after getting use to the raised arrows, I found it very difficult to play the arcade version of DDR this past summer (I had never played DDR in the arcade before). But I'm too lacking in confidence to play DDR in front of anyone anyway. E1.gif Still, I think it would be better if the arrows were lowered as to be more like the arcade.

Wow, I'm the opposite: I find raised panels like that an extreme annoyance. Since most people actually like them, I'm guessing there's part to the strategy I'm missing. It's really hard to see subtleties like that in videos (my raised-hating feet look the same in my arcade vid) and the tutorials don't talk about that. Help?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 34 of 36

Jump to: