Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

A word on flat softpads...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zapman98
Basic Member
Basic Member

100. PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisisbobo wrote:

did you mod it before using it?

Nope, I didn't mod either before using them. I knew that I was going to move on to different pads once I got somewhat decent at the game.

I just got a pair of Vortz xbox ignition pads for $40 shipped and so far, they're doing great. I can consistently AAA on light, AA on standard, and get A's and B's on heavy. I'm quite pleased with the responsiveness and feel of the pads (especially after playing on broken flat pads!) I did the duct tape mod right after testing them to hopefully squeeze some extra play time out of them.

I'm 140 lbs and dance on heavy for 30-60 min a day. Does anyone have some ideas as to how long these pads will hold up?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
dragonsong_2003
Basic Member
Basic Member

101. PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't say soft pads suck, i got two from eb games, the cheap beat pad ones. i modded mine, and it's been over a years since i got them, they worth as good as they did when i first got them
View users profile Send private message
BobTheFish
Trick Member
Trick Member

102. PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing various 9 footers on my soft pad for ages now and nothing has stopped working. But I have ordered a metal pad due to the fact that it slides (even with some carpet underlay attached) and it's not as sensitive as I'd like.
stcarnamedwant
Basic Member
Basic Member

103. PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be too soon to tell, and I'm only a beginner, but I bought a pelican universal pad (my best friend has the PS2 games, I have Ultramix3 for XBOX) the other day and I'm pretty happy with its performance in my dorm room. I have tile floor. And it did a bit of a party the first night I had it on various difficulties with various weights of players. It still works. I do plan on saving up for a nicer pad, though.
Joel Stud?!
Trick Member
Trick Member

104. PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just learned a valuable lesson. If you let a soft pad sit neatly folded for a month or so (or more if you like) without using it after it starts to seem glitchy it will work again.

Worked for me 4 times now!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
adp10390
Basic Member
Basic Member

105. PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the RedOctane official ITG softpad, and it works like a charm. I've taken it from California to Singapore and back, and I've been playing up to 11-foot songs on stepmania for several months now with no loss of performance. Sensitivity is great, sensors haven't shifted at all, it's just barely thick enough to make it real comfy to play in socks, and thin enough to be able to feel the floor and keep your balance real well. Almost never slips on most surfaces.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
NESCartFanatic
Trick Member
Trick Member

106. PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have to give kudos to the ITG Official pads. Got these with the bundle and they work much much better than my old redoctane nonslips (2002 tourney prize)

Very good quality, the sensors are very accurate. I'm impressed!
Trick Member
Trick Member

107. PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever started this thread is full of poopy. I do 7-9 footers atleast 3 hours a day, usually 5-9 hours a day. My pads hold up fine, I have 2 foam soft pads that costed $15 each and the stock one bundled with DDRExtreme 2.

imo anyone with intelligence would have locked the thread already for lack of intelligence and rich preppy boys bias because he sucks on any pad besides his own.
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

108. PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakka Lakka wrote:
Even the ignition knock-offs they sell on ebay for $30 shipped are superior in terms of responsiveness and durability

Personally, I use the Intec pads with the hard foam inserts, since the RO Ignition knockoffs with foam I had ripped easily, and the foam was too... soft. So far they are holding up perfectly, and I was able to AA beginner, light, standard modes and C/B/A Heavy mode diffuculty songs with ease..
Miss Tsugaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

109. PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a mad catz soft mat. It's last me basicly almost 2 years. It's starting to rip from 9 footers though. I really can't do 9 ft that well on soft mat.. >>

My Intek (or whatever brand of metal arcade platform mats they had at Toys-R-Us) broke in a month of purchace.. erm.gif
videoCWK!
Trick Member
Trick Member

110. PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A word on flat softpads... Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
They all suck. Get over it.

No $10 game pad is going to have any reasonable amount of lifespan above or below any other pad. If you're at all serious about playing DDR at home, then save your pennies and buy at least an Ignition-type pad that's likely to last longer than a week, or something better.

So, in short, don't bother asking or debating if any sub-$30 pad is any better than any other sub-$30 pad. You're just wasting everyone's time.

Those were good words biggrin.gif
I've went through 4 soft pads when today I got an Ignition 3.0. I say the Red Octane pad idea is good, just don't get an Ignition 3.0.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

111. PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ko5 wrote:
Whoever started this thread is full of poopy. I do 7-9 footers atleast 3 hours a day, usually 5-9 hours a day. My pads hold up fine, I have 2 foam soft pads that costed $15 each and the stock one bundled with DDRExtreme 2.

imo anyone with intelligence would have locked the thread already for lack of intelligence and rich preppy boys bias because he sucks on any pad besides his own.
Wow. Such empirical evidence is clearly illustrative of a wondrous intellect which has invested many hours into research and testing to prove that I am indeed full of poopy.

Bravo. Did you ever think that maybe you're just really, really lucky? Hundreds of owners of dead softpads can't be wrong.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Shinmizu
Staff Member
Staff Member

112. PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ko5 wrote:

You're so cute when you call a moderator, who in all likelihood has dozens of times as much experience with DDR and pads (and has seen hundreds, if not thousands, of examples of soft pads crapping out), full of shit.

Rich preppy boy bias? Even working just twenty hours a week at minimum wage, you can get a Cobalt Flux in under a month. No, it's not "rich preppy boy bias," it's "people who either aren't too lazy to get a job or so impatient that they can't save money for more than a week." Or just maybe it's "people with good money sense that realize that 1 x $300 and a six month warranty ends up being better than 10 x 30 and no warranty."

Oh, and here's the real kicker. Maybe, just maybe, he doesn't live with his parents anymore. Perhaps he's one of those people that you see on TV that have a career and are self-sufficient so they don't have to rely on the graces of their parents for new toys. Contrary to popular opinion in the eighth grade English classroom (you know, it's that room where they teach you the correct conjugation of verbs such as "cost"), there is a world outside that consists of more than grade school students.

And would it totally blow your mind if he didn't have a Cobalt Flux? He doesn't.

I don't have a Lexus, but I guarantee it's better than that Yugo you youngsters think will "make do."

P.S. Get off my lawn.
For a Good time, call 555-1212 and ask for Susan. For a Great time, call 555-3487 and ask for Mindy. For a Perfect time, call 555-6341 and ask for Stephanie. For a Marvelous time, call 555-6341 and ask for Stephanie's mom.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
zaphod
Trick Member
Trick Member

113. PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lets' sum up everything so far.

1) ALL softpad makers create lemons sometimes. there's always the risk of getting a duff pad. Warranties are good things, and the plywood mod does NOT void them, as it does not damage the pad in any way.
2) They tend to slip. even with "non slip" surfaces on back. They slip less if they have one of those surfaces, but that makes the top bunch more.
3) using a soft pad on a carpet is a bad idea.
4) hardwood floor is good, but more prone to sliding/bunching of the top.
5) folding a pad wrong can kill it deader then a doornail.

SO, do the classic plywood/sheet/staples mod, and your pad will last. it does the following things.
a) places the pad on a hard surface, which makes it more durable.
b) keeps it form bunching which makes it more durable.
c) protects the top of the pad, enabling you to wear shoes, whic hhelps protect your ankles and legs from shock.
d) prevents the pad from getting folded.
e) stops sliding. E1.gif
f) easy to make a double pad mod if you want, or jsut two singles, and put them next to each other and they wont' slide.

The "Gamestop" pads are all rebranded pelicans. that's who makes Gamestops stuff. if you read the fien print on the box, it wil say so. My current gamestop pad claimed to have "raised corners" on the box, but it was simply not true. It did, however ahv earcade sized button circuitry, as opposed to the little circle sensors.

There are four basic classes of softpad.

Circular sensors, normal bottom. (Konami original design)
Circular sensors, non slip bottom (I believe Konai's new design, but pioneered by Red Octane)
"Arcade size" pad, with larger sensor areas, non slip bottom.
"Arcade size" with normal bottom. My current Gamestop pad is one of these.

All of them need modding to last.
*Motoko*
Trick Member
Trick Member

114. PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm just curious, but I have hard wood floors at my house, so if I just use scotch tape and tape my soft konami pads to the floor so they don't slip and slide everywhere, thats fine right?
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

115. PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
-TJ- wrote:
for the record, what exactly is the Red Octane Ignition pad? Just the regular Red Octane pad on the DDR Pads links? Thx ahead of time for clearing it up for me.
This is the RO Ignition:

Click the picture to go to the RO Ignition thread.

Dense foam? DDRGAME.com made me distrust any dense foam insert pads, I think that if you must have anything below a metal pad, HARD foam is the better way to go... harder.

Last edited by Travelsonic on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total
crushing the plains...v2
Trick Member
Trick Member

116. PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the white less dense stuff is about as hard as packaging peanuts
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
XMaxX
Trick Member
Trick Member

117. PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Totoro* wrote:
Hey, I'm just curious, but I have hard wood floors at my house, so if I just use scotch tape and tape my soft konami pads to the floor so they don't slip and slide everywhere, thats fine right?

That probably would work. BTW, use duct tape rather than scotch tape.

Groovestats l ITG Edits l My Simfiles l PUI Ranking
Dancing games are for fags.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

118. PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss, I am assuming and correct me if you are wrong, just as a clarification for those others who may be wondering, that this thread was targeting the thin flabby crap softpads, and not the hard/dense foam pads?
eTom
Trick Member
Trick Member

119. PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Totoro* wrote:

I did that with mine and it worked absolutley fine, i highy reccomend it.

I wouldnt say its hard to find a good soft mat, my official Konami ones have lasted years of abuse and work perfect, even the ones i got for £2 still work fine and i left them outside for a week :S
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: