Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Plexi Glass or Metal?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Capitan
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Plexi Glass or Metal? Reply with quote

Hey, I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new here, and I have looked through the other forums with no luck of finding an answer.

I was wondering if the metal arcade pads off of ebay (for example
http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-DDR-DANCE-REVOLUTION-6KB-METAL-PAD-PADS-XBOX-PC-PS2_W0QQitemZ250010845612QQihZ015QQcategoryZ21185QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ) were any good?

Also, before throwing the money down, I know there are a couple different options from this piticular seller, one is the one I listed above (has black plexi glass arrows) and the other has stainless steel mirror finish arrows.

I really like sliding when I am playing, and I usually just play with socks on, so would I still be able to slide on the black plexi glass or would I be better off getting the mirror finish steel one?

I have read the TX-4000 thread, but from all of the pictures, the 6000 one looks nothing like the ones on ebay like the one I listed. The bar on the back looks much more stable on the ebay one than the pics on the thread as the picture on the thread showed the bar only being connected to the pad itself, with no floor support to push the stress to. With that being said, would this newer designed version be more sturdy than the previous 6000, or should i stick with getting two 4000s?

Thanks!!
View users profile Send private message
Resolute
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-mirror finish indicates that it was polished so much that you would slip on it. i am also a big fan of sliding. id go with the mirror finish

the pad looks like a Ninja, they make pretty good pads.

but remember, things off ebay are either a hit or miss, so make sure this is the real deal before geting it. thats a really low price for a metal pad.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. eBay isn't exactly the best place to buy a metal pad. Before you buy one, post a thread about it. Ask how good it is, how responcive it is, it's average lifespan, stuff like that. Then look at the price in the eBay auction. If you think it's a reasonable price for whatever it is, go for it. So if you go there and see a TX-6000 (which I hear is an OK pad) for $50, don't buy it.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Minger
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay was good for me - sometimes, they have stuff like the TX-1000s for $60 - its worth the wood and brackets alone E1.gif

I'd personally go with a metal finish, but thats just me.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
cph05a
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minger wrote:
Ebay was good for me - sometimes, they have stuff like the TX-1000s for $60 - its worth the wood and brackets alone E1.gif

I'd personally go with a metal finish, but thats just me.

The TX-1000 has a bad rep here, but it's cheap and once you replace the arrows it's not that bad.
El Capitan Del Randimo
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the question I guess still remains-ish

If wearing socks, is plexi glass slick so I can slide on the pad, or is that kind of a metal only sort of deal?

And also, I am looking at purchasing two of the 6000 models (the handle bars ones) but do you guy recommend against it or for it?

I know I have heard of the 6000 handles breaking easily and such, but from it looks like in picture form, the blade one that i listed above in the link is a little bit different and looks like it might be more stable. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
DefaultGen
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't plexi-glass shatter and crack?

Lexan FTW disturb.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

7. PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought plexi glass is what they used on the real DDR acade machines for the arrows
bemani-man
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they use lexan. I could punch through a 1/4" sheet of plexiglass if I really wanted to, it's not that strong, I wouldn't even recommend using it for it's intended purpose (windows on your building) if you could avoid it. The major difference I've found between plexi and lexan is that when drilling holes, plexiglass has to be "melted" through by driving the bit backwards unless you want it to crack, whereas lexan can be drilled through.

Plexiglass ftl. Lexan ftw indeed.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
El Capitan Del Randimo
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh, so plexi glass is a bad idea for a pad floor eh? so steel it is. thanks much!
BFlip
Basic Member
Basic Member

10. PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrylic = plexiglass (to everyone who didn't know).
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
DefaultGen
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bemani-man wrote:
The major difference I've found between plexi and lexan is that when drilling holes, plexiglass has to be "melted" through by driving the bit backwards unless you want it to crack, whereas lexan can be drilled through.

When I was drilling through plexiglass in my design class I shattered it thats why I thought so.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: