Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

DDRX-cabinet pads & longterm health of your legs/feet
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheerios
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: DDRX-cabinet pads & longterm health of your legs/feet Reply with quote

I can usually play doubles on a pre-X cabinet for hours and hours. The worst thing that happens is my legs/feet are sore afterwords, but that's natural. So, after playing doubles on an X cabinet for less than an hour, something doesn't feel right with my right foot. (I usually put weight on my right leg for crossovers on doubles.) Okay, so I leave, but now my left knee feels odd as I'm walking away.

This is just my guess: This is due to the construction of the new pad, it doesn't seem to rebound as well as the pre-X cabinet pads. So, basically it feels like you are dancing on a giant slab of wood that doesn't really absorb shock. Where does the shock go? Eh, your knees and feet most likely. A doctor though will most likely say that dancing for too long on any type of cabinet is bad for your knees and feet. (To many it worse, you have to press harder for x-cabinet sensors to work, this causing more pressure on your knees/feet.)

These problems will probably go away in a couple days of no DDR play and rest, but just a warning that long time use of X-cabinet pads may cause some health issues for your knee, ankle, and feet/feet joints. And for those with knee or leg issues already, I wouldn't recommend playing for more than an hour on an X-cabinet.

OR, I could just be getting old. But, in all serious-ness, this has never happened before on pre-X cabinets after VERY heavy doubles play for several hours. I hope I'm not the only one who feels that the new X-cabinet pads aren't as 'bouncy'.

Opinions or comments on how you feel after you play on an X-cabinet pad for a long duration versus pre-X cabinet pads for long duration are appreciated. X-cabinet pads seriously needs to be recalled and fixed if 99% of people have issues with it. I understand the x-cabinet have a bazillion other issues, but this discussion page is just for the PADS ONLY.
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would very much agree. The first thing I noticed when I stepped up onto the new pads is how solid it was. This on top of having to stomp on the arrows would definitely cause some problems.
reboman
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know; I played for a while today, and I don't think it's entirely the pads; changing the playstyle to adapt to the pads might be causing a problem, though. My feet hurt a little bit, but after over two hours of play, why wouldn't they?
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
thewheel
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pads ARE made out of wood on US cabinets; no wonder your legs feel like shit.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Yeehaw McKickass
Contributor
Contributor

4. PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewheel wrote:
The pads ARE made out of wood on US cabinets; no wonder your legs feel like shit.

Confirmed across multiple retail build locations (Schaumburg IL Gameworks, Indaniapolis IN, Gameworks) by myself, MonMotha, Sword, Baka Oorochi, and Ho-Man.

I was quite angry.
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in the end is it like playing on blueshark pads(which are made out of wood)?
View users profile Send private message
chennymountain
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we'll if they're both made of wood then they probably are similar.

Baka of the Orochi
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the shock of your steps get absorbed rather than bouncing back up, I believe it's also pretty nasty to the knees and ankles as well, and long term would be very bad (also causes shin splints). Seeing as how the pads and the feet don't do a very good job of making the stage "bouncy," I'm not surprised. I've also found myself getting insanely tired and in pain after playing a couple rounds of X (then again, I'm also stepping a bit harder as well).

Shuma Gorath: Essentially? Yes. You're basically playing on a "crap-o-cab."
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeehaw McKickass wrote:
thewheel wrote:

Confirmed across multiple retail build locations (Schaumburg IL Gameworks, Indaniapolis IN, Gameworks) by myself, MonMotha, Sword, Baka Oorochi, and Ho-Man.

I was quite angry.

So can the pads get termites then? LoL

We better hope Betson called the Orkin man

M Mods- I'm lovin' them
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Travelsonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuma Gorath wrote:
so in the end is it like playing on blueshark pads(which are made out of wood)?

Wait, I thought the bluesharks were not make out of wood.
videoCWK
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from how the pads damage your ankles and feet, has anyone realized how much of a durability nightmare the US pads must be?
What happens if someone spills a soda on the pads? What if termites find their way inside? I can't imagine they'd hold up nearly as long as regular pads in a humid environment (i.e. boardwalks). I'd also expect the wood to begin to get brittle after many years of use.
There's also the metal surface of the pad. It just looks "weak." If it got damaged somehow, your only choice would be to get a new one. You also have to remove the whole thing to get into the pad, and while it's off it'd be easier to bend or get hurt on than a bunch of metal squares that can be stacked neatly aside.
And Ho Man made a good point about the pads being literally connected to the cabinet. It's not uncommon knowledge that parts in the machine could need a tune up now and then because wires and such have fallen out of place due to bass and step vibrations. Ho Man mentioned that the pads being connected to the machine like that caused people's itmes on the machine to move around after playing for some time. He also mentioned that it's probably not good for the machine's parts. Stuff doesn't tend to move around on a lot of DDR machines I've used, so this much vibration coming from any game of DDR can't be good for the machine's internals.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiosity...

Has anyone that has the new DDRX machine (the NA version), taken photos of the inside of the pad?

I'm just curious on the layout and such, and how it's designed.
Baka of the Orochi
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are people seriously worried about termites?

Arcades have used wood in their cabinets for years. Those pads are also painted and probably lacquered. I doubt termites would be a problem.
Contributor
Contributor

13. PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in agreement with Baka of the Orochi. The vast majority of arcade cabinets (at least in this country) are made of wood--including original DDR cabinets. If a location has a termite problem (which I have never heard of actually happening), they have much bigger problems to worry about (i.e. virtually their entire stock of cabinets) than these new DDR X stages.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
videoCWK
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho-Man wrote:
I am in agreement with Baka of the Orochi. The vast majority of arcade cabinets (at least in this country) are made of wood--including original DDR cabinets. If a location has a termite problem (which I have never heard of actually happening), they have much bigger problems to worry about (i.e. virtually their entire stock of cabinets) than these new DDR X stages.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

</moron>

Are there any pictures yet of the internals of these new pads?
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

videoCWK wrote:
Ho-Man wrote:

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

</moron>

Are there any pictures yet of the internals of these new pads?

Also please someone that has a BS add pics of blueshark pads internals too so I can confirm what I've said before, which I'm 99% sure.

As for the people worrying about termites eating up the wood, there's no big prob I think. I mean, my local ddr cab has them, they're happy around and everything work like it should. Look at pics:

EAG2
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deal with termites everyday (work for Terminix). Termites shouldn't be a problem as far as the pads. Unless you start seeing mud tunnels on the floor or walls.
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out the bottom of the pads aren't wood, more than it's some kind of...acrylic? My friend pointed out that the bottom is grainy like wood, but checking it out again a little closer, it was more like shavings or something texturized (maybe a result of a paint job). Regardless, not a very solid construction at all.
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shavings would suggest something like compressed sawdust and therefore a fiberboard, rather than true wood.

As far as the pad rigidness per step is concerned, how do they compare vs. something like a Cobalt Flux home pad or even a Pump It Up arcade machine pad?
Famine
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can usually play doubles on a pre-X cabinet for hours and hours. The worst thing that happens is my legs/feet are sore afterwords, but that's natural. So, after playing doubles on an X cabinet for less than an hour, something doesn't feel right with my right foot. (I usually put weight on my right leg for crossovers on doubles.) Okay, so I leave, but now my left knee feels odd as I'm walking away.

Just curious, were you playing tip toed or flat footed? Also, were you using the bar? Adjusting your playstyle may alleviate excessive pressure on the knees
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: