Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ITG Song Censorship Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod
Trick Member
Trick Member

80. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple fact of the mater is RedOctane=new small company=gets raped by the ESRB.

Lets take DDR. the only real bit of censorship ever done to US DDR was vocal removal from After the game of love, and that one got through on Ultramix.

US DDR is full of suggestive stuff.

For starters, they let iNSERTiON in, which though it has no lyrics, it's pretty clear to anyone who's old enough what it's about. (this was US MAX)Then, they actually put in the Whistle song. That "clean version" is not actually any cleaner, simply a bit more respectful of women. 20 November has "give it to me good," an obvious sexual request if I've ever heard one (complete with moans in the song along with it, just to make it even more clear). and look what DDR Extreme 2 is supposed to be getting. Wonderland and Highs off You have already been mentioned.
Sinistar
Trick Member
Trick Member

81. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
Simple fact of the mater is RedOctane=new small company=gets raped by the ESRB.

Gets raped? I could maybe understand that sentiment if the ESRB said, "Oh man, this is an AO, easily." But I doubt that was the case. It is entirely possible that RO did not understand the nuances of submitting titles for ESRB ratings when they submitted In The Groove.

But then, judging by the ESRB FAQ, the raters don't have any connection to the games industry at all.

The ESRB folks wrote:
Who decides the ratings?

ESRB ratings are determined by a consensus of at least three specially trained raters. ESRB raters are of various ages and backgrounds, and to ensure their objectivity, are not permitted to have any ties to the computer and video game industry. ESRB raters are not expert game players, although they undergo extensive training about the rating system before beginning work. To protect the integrity of the rating system, ESRB does not disclose the individual identities of its raters.

So, ITG was "raped" by a consensus of at least three people.

CF cbox mods and more at the 'Pad'
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
veganjay
Trick Member
Trick Member

82. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Not censored? Reply with quote

I'm playing my version of ITG, and I think I can hear in Charlene, "better stay off the drugs and the wine" and "where passion and sex canbe found".

However, in "Torn" the "naked" is censored.

Strange?
View users profile Send private message
Joel Stud?!
Trick Member
Trick Member

83. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Songs in DDR:

Insertion- there may be no lyrics, but there sure are moans

The whistle song- who doesn't get that one

Groove- Not about dancing... "Groove, for you, can all that booty be all yours?"

Do It Right- Hmm...

Highs Off You- "F***'n you up"

Your Rain- How on earth did female dominatrices in golden bikinis get through ESRB?

Wonderland- Several inuendo's

After The Game of Love- "After the game of love baby, all I want to do is be lazy"

Sana Morette Ne Ette- I haven't had this verified, but I was told it's talking about masturbation

Only You- If boyfriend is censored, "All the hoochie-mommas put your hands up" sure should be

And yes, complaints should be sent to red octane. The ESRB doesn't even review all games. If a company doesn't want to submit it's game to the ESRB, they just slap an unrated tag on there. However, then Gamestop, EB Games, Game Crazy, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, and essentially any other video game retailer won't sell the game.

And according to the ESRB's rules, Conker: Live and Reloaded, GTA: San Andreas, Manhunt, Leisure Suit Larry, The Guy Game, Playboy Mansion, and many other M rated titles are actually supposed to be AO. However, since only three people review each game, some games don't get what they deserve. Some companies will even resubmit their game unchanged in hopes they'll get a different board, and thus a different rating.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reenee
Trick Member
Trick Member

84. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Your Rain- How on earth did female dominatrices in golden bikinis get through ESRB?

Huh?

Quote:

Do It Right- Hmm...

Lyrics imply motivation and relationship, but you're probably ignoring that.

Quote:

Sana Morette Ne Ette- I haven't had this verified, but I was told it's talking about masturbation

Whoever told you needs a slap. This is song is about BeatMania.
'Ivan
Trick Member
Trick Member

85. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HENTAI] Reenee wrote:
Quote:

Huh?

He ish referring to the music video.

If you end up joining, put "ThreeLeafIvy" in the referrer box, will ya? E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reenee
Trick Member
Trick Member

86. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall any "dominatrices".

Then again, I don't watch any of this crazy rap B.S. you kids watch nowadays.
gameboyguy13
Trick Member
Trick Member

87. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

braintrust wrote:

[HENTAI] Reenee wrote:

Specifically, about a girl who is discussing her boyfriend's affinity for BeatMania.

Although, I can see how the last couplet might be open to alternative interpretations... "My boyfriend likes double play,/He is not left-handed."

For transliteration and translation, AnimeLyrics has a good page, so all can see for themselves.

Last edited by gameboyguy13 on Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zaphod
Trick Member
Trick Member

88. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the exact same phenomena with movies. Saving Private Ryan (i think it was) is so graphic that by all standards it should have been an nc-17 due to the gore alone, but because it was made by a big time director, it sqeaks thru with an R rating. Many say other movies should have gotten rated toughr, but ones made by big time directors squeak thru while independents get the shaft. it happens.

Simple fact is Konami got what they did thru just because they were Konami. Yes, the cesnors are quite obtuse, as e can see by what got censored and what didn't, but i'm pretty sure if all the sogs that made it to us DDR were in IG instead, many of them wouuld have gotten censored. I still cant' get ovr the whistle song even making it in, even if it's vidoe got changed.

PS: I think we can forgive the censors for missing boom boom dollar in ddr usa first psx version, as that on e isn't quiite so obvious.
gameboyguy13
Trick Member
Trick Member

89. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
We have the exact same phenomena with movies. Saving Private Ryan (i think it was) is so graphic that by all standards it should have been an nc-17 due to the gore alone, but because it was made by a big time director, it sqeaks thru with an R rating. Many say other movies should have gotten rated toughr, but ones made by big time directors squeak thru while independents get the shaft. it happens.

Same thing happens with PG-13, so much so that many so-called 'watchdog' groups say the rating is almost synonymous with "r". Also happens with Ao and M games shifting down a rating because they take out a few things.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joel Stud?!
Trick Member
Trick Member

90. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HENTAI] Reenee wrote:
Quote:
Do It Right- Hmm...

Do It Right wrote:

Know what you wanna do, get into the groove
Well you just gotta move
And soon you'll know just what you really gotta do
So take it easy now, I can show you how
Just feel the beat inside, let the rhythm take hold and do it right

Now tell me the ESRB could not misinterperet that.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wolfman Jake
Trick Member
Trick Member

91. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do It Right
SOTA feat. Ebony Fay

Well you just gotta move

You can't give up, you can't give in
When things are looking like your world is tumbling down, you fight
You make the cut, you play to win
And it's guaranteed to be alright
Just do your best, just give your all
Dance to your rhythm, you can make forever start tonight
Don't let it rest, you'll never fall
Believe me

No matter what you do
Can't nobody hold your future back
Gotta go 'cause you know you'll leave them in your tracks
And when all is said and done, ain't no looking back now
Is it all how you dreamed it would be way back when?

Life is just a game
We play to see if we can get it right
God above sends his love to those who see his light
Even if you don't know, he's been there for you too
Did you think you'd get this far without his love?
I tell you what

Well you just got to move
And then you'll know just what to do
Just feel the love inside
Let the rhythm take hold and do it right, yeah

Braintrust, now tell me how YOU could misinterpret THAT.
gameboyguy13
Trick Member
Trick Member

92. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braintrust wrote:
[HENTAI] Reenee wrote:
Quote:
Do It Right- Hmm...

Do It Right wrote:

Well you just gotta move

To me, that's talking about dancing. When I play music or dance, I "feel the beat inside". Anyway, much of the song seems to be a person teaching another how to dance. (Take it easy, feel beat inside, etc.)
VxJasonxV
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

93. PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the Game of Love is blatent sexuality with some... extra, mentionables. (Censored)
Charlene is a song of avoiding bad things with detail of the content you should avoid. (Censored)
Do It Right is a song about music, rhythm, etc. and the ESRB doesn't censor based off slang sex synonyms. (Not Censored)

Got it?

Amusing Pictures: lolddrfreak | Road of LoQ
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
dieKatze88
Trick Member
Trick Member

94. PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlene is a song about "Dont Get Raped my little sister" holy crap, how did that not get heavily censored, or maybe they did a good enough job that i cant tell.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Ebisumaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

95. PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlene is more about "Charlene don't be a prostitute!" and it is heavily censored.
Sinistar
Trick Member
Trick Member

96. PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braintrust wrote:
Do It Right wrote:

Well you just gotta move

They might not misinterpret it if they actually listened to all the lyrics of all the songs, but judging by the ESRB FAQ, they do no such thing. They depend upon the publishers to submit a list of possibly offensive materials along with a video showing the gameplay. A three person panel then recommends a rating based on those items.

Since the quoted lyrics above do not contain any naughty words, they would likely have not been submitted as a possibly offensive item and would have never been noticed by the panel.

The ESRB FAQ that nobody has read wrote:
To get a game certified with an ESRB rating, publishers fill out a detailed questionnaire explaining exactly what's in the game, and submit it to ESRB along with actual videotaped footage of the game, showing the most extreme content and an accurate representation of the context and product as a whole. Working independently, three trained raters then view the game footage and recommend the rating and content descriptors they believe are most appropriate.

According to the ESRB site, PIU:Exceed is getting a Teen rating for "Suggestive Themes". There's no reason why ITG couldn't have released with a similar rating and kept their songs intact.

CF cbox mods and more at the 'Pad'
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
digifork
Trick Member
Trick Member

97. PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate cheap unnesessary censorship as much as the next person and I think the censored words in ITG are ridiculous. Does the ESRB really think kids are going to listen to the lyrics? What would the ESRB rate a Britney Spears album?

Having said that, this is what I think happend.

This is RO's first game. They were unware of how long it takes for things like ESRB ratings to come back or Sony to approve gold discs and they simply ran out of time to resubmit. I think an experienced game company knows how to get the rating they want (within reason of course). I also think the ESRB is becoming stricter to fend off recent threats of federal game legistation.

We will see what rating Extreme 2 has when it comes out. If it is E, then RO has some leverage to argue thier rating down for future games or learn how to make a better presentation to the ESRB. Hopefully by ITG2, RO will get "in the groove" (I know... goog.gif) of managing software projects and dealing with outside influences.
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

98. PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braintrust wrote:
Do It Right- Hmm...
"And the lord gives his love to those who see his light."

Maybe I haven't listened closely, but the main lyrics that stand out to me in this song are all the religious-sounding stuff. Could someone post the lyrics to the song so I can see what might piss off the ESRB if they cared?
Trick Member
Trick Member

99. PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gameboyguy13 wrote:
braintrust wrote:

[HENTAI] Reenee wrote:

Specifically, about a girl who is discussing her boyfriend's affinity for BeatMania.

Although, I can see how the last couplet might be open to alternative interpretations... "My boyfriend likes double play,/He is not left-handed."

For transliteration and translation, AnimeLyrics has a good page, so all can see for themselves.

In this area, some people have successfully argued that beatmania Is masturbation.

If I had never heard of bemani, I might assume that "Beat Mania" is something entirely different than a music game. Especially with things like "He is not left handed / likes to double play"
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: