Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ITG Song Censorship Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was because the ESRB sent RedOctane a list of problem words. The ESRB then told RedOctane that they were to censor those particular songs or remove the songs completely. RedOctane did not want to remove the songs, as they wanted to keep it as arcade-accurate as possible for the conversion to the home as possible, as it goes back to RedOctane's mission statement in business...

Therefore, they censored the songs.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Rickidi
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone knows the difference between that and let's say DDRmax2 USA? I mean.... Blow my whistle doggy.... with a video.... erm.gif
AMxJM
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "Normal," are you sure it was "boyfriend" and not "girlfriend"? I just looked up the lyrics, and, well...

Quote:
And his girfriend's name is John

Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMxJM wrote:
In "Normal," are you sure it was "boyfriend" and not "girlfriend"? I just looked up the lyrics, and, well...

Quote:
And his girfriend's name is John

First thing we learn in English here :

John is a boy. Mary is a girl.

So I'd say it's boyfriend, lol.
'Ivan
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rancidfish wrote:
"I am a robot, a robo little robot" is the funniest thing ever.

So THAT'S what it says. ROMeo & Juli8 is one of my favorite songs to play on Expert, and I've been trying to figure out how they censored it, but I couldn't hear it.

If you end up joining, put "ThreeLeafIvy" in the referrer box, will ya? E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AMxJM
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickidi wrote:
First thing we learn in English here :

John is a boy. Mary is a girl.

So I'd say it's boyfriend, lol.

Yes, I get that. I was quoting the actual lyric there...
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tryed In the Groove today, and I decided to try out TORN. I just have a question, does ESRB think the word NAKED is a bad word. I could think of a quite a bit of bad language to censor, NAKED is not one of them. Im really irritated about the hiccup thing. This game was designed for the hardcore fans most Im assuming are use to the word naked and alot of other words why try to get an E rating. I dont mind the lag time but the the hiccuping over bad words is where I draw the line. Whoever thought that up should be dealt with in a most harsh manner.

Of course thats my two cents.
View users profile Send private message
Zonic
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Konami once censored The Whistle Song on Max2 on PS2 with "Baby" instead of "itch with a B" because they thought exposure to such words could've severly damaged young minds...¬_¬.....Sure, they censor that one word, but not the song & video.....Isn't THAT the part that severly damages young minds?!?

I know, off topic, but ESRB should've just given ITG an T rating.....

Also: I TOTALLY agree with you, Rickiti.

But in Highs off U, they don't say that word. I think I found the part...
"A funky rhythm, baby, I've got a certain spark"

If not right: go here & Click the FAQ made by CyricZ:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/919557.html
Ebisumaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all baby instead of doggy is the radio version, the clean one, whatever. And Highs off U surely does say "fuckin' you up"
PedanticOmbudsman
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my copy's still sitting at the post office because I'm out of town and can't pick it up, but I hope somebody can answer a question for me so I can stop worrying. With all this talk of song censorship and all the bizarre examples I've seen in this thread & elsewhere of anything even vaguely offensive being bleeped out, I'm worried about one of my favorite ITG songs, Mellow.

Please tell me that they left in the line "Have you ever seen red when it should have been yellow?" please please please. I think that's one of the funniest lines from any song, and if they bleeped any part of it I'm going to be pissed. But if they truly bleeped out everything that this thread says they did, I doubt that line would've made the cut (unless the person making the censorship decisions interpreted it differently than I did).
Ebisumaru
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdly enough, that song isn't censored. But the word SEXY is oh so bad. I was SO SHOCKED to hear such a word on what I used to think was a family friendly show, that being THE COSBY SHOW.
SanaMoretteNeEnte
Basic Member
Basic Member

31. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampage wrote:
As I said in my personal reviewHighs Off You, a song with the word "fuck" in it

Well actually it says funking you up...but still it can easily be misinterperated E1.gif
ColorOfSakura
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I can quite assure you, it's "fuckin' you up". The full version of the song happens to say so, quite blatently. The DDR version was in no way edited other than to cut down the length of the original song.

Seriously though, the ESRB couldn't just say "Either you edit the songs, or the songs must be taken out". Considering the fact that it's a RATINGS BOARD. They can't say "This game HAS to have an E rating, or we won't let it come out."

The ESRB just recommends what needs to be done to achieve a certain rating. If those requirements aren't met, the ESRB will rate the game higher. In the case of ITG, apparently, if they didn't want to censor the songs, the ESRB would have had to rate the game as either E(10+) or T.

Apparently though, Red Octane wanted to sell more copies of the game and thus censored the songs the ESRB asked, in order to receive an E rating.

And yet - it still doesn't explain how "Boyfriend(or Girlfriend)", "Salty" and "Dark Side" are considered MUCH worse than "Would it be so bad if I could turn you on?" and "E-Rotic".
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me exactly what happened to Anet's No 1 Nation? I like the song quite a lot as well as the rest of her songs.

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jas
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanaMoretteNeEnte wrote:
rampage wrote:
As I said in my personal reviewHighs Off You, a song with the word "fuck" in it

Well actually it says funking you up...but still it can easily be misinterperated :)

Nope, she says Fuck quite clearly.

Later on in the song she goes on to say,

"Get out of my shit
please let me be"

and

"I'm a woman in the land of hip-hop
and the shit don't stop
it goes on-and-a-on-and-a-on-and-on
see the shit don't stop until the break of dawn"

... but they decided to cut that part of the song out. ^^

I don't see why exactly the ESRB lets DDR slide with naughty/suggestive lyrics (coughafterthegameoflovecough) and not ITG. Probably because Konami is a much bigger company and can slide a bit more money the ESRB's way.

Do note before DDR got big in america they did censor up After The Game of Love on Konamix by just completely omiting the lyrics.

Or something to that extent
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zajitarrius wrote:
Apparently though, Red Octane wanted to sell more copies of the game and thus censored the songs the ESRB asked, in order to receive an E rating.

And yet - it still doesn't explain how "Boyfriend(or Girlfriend)", "Salty" and "Dark Side" are considered MUCH worse than "Would it be so bad if I could turn you on?" and "E-Rotic".

A T rating for a dance game might not seem bad, but it's a whole bunch of potential sales right out the window.

"His girlfriend's name is John" is clearly something people might find objectionable, and this being America, what can you do?
"Salty" really shouldn't need any explanation.
"Dark side", meh, I've no idea about that one myself.
Danamaf
Trick Member
Trick Member

36. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna go get the game today and now i'm having second thoughts... does the rythym in the song continue, or is it just a blank, soundless half second of rhythm loss?
'Ivan
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danamaf wrote:
I was gonna go get the game today and now i'm having second thoughts... does the rythym in the song continue, or is it just a blank, soundless half second of rhythm loss?

I believe all or most of the censors consist of substituing another part of the track over the word, such as ROMeo & Juli8's "I am a robot, a robo little robot"), so the tracks do not simply cut out.

Danamaf
Trick Member
Trick Member

38. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Ivan... ill go and get the game today! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Bunnymoon
Trick Member
Trick Member

39. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Char"]
Zajitarrius wrote:

A T rating for a dance game might not seem bad, but it's a whole bunch of potential sales right out the window.

No offense intended, I think most of those potentials(under the age of 12) are probably playing pokemon or some other nonsense. Even if it were rated M theyd get their parents to get it anyways. I saw a 6 year old kid get GTA3 San Andreas because his parents gave permission. Let them play when DDR Mario Mix comes out, this game is for the Hardcore gamers (I thought it was anyways). How many people here know anybody under the age of teen who bought this game. I would have settled for a T rating, or at least them spending the extra time from the delay, to get the songs edited correctly.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: