Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The Pad Arena Thread:Which pad is better? Ask/Find out here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vehe
Basic Member
Basic Member

440. PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, sorry if this is not in the right area. Normally I'd search for the answers myself but you've got some pretty long threads here at DDRFreak.

I'm returning to DDR after a few years' break (couldn't play in the college dorms because for some reason people don't like to hear staccato thudding on their ceiling every night ) E13.gif

I'm looking to invest in a new metal pad. I had one a couple years back but the plastic on the arrows eventually cracked and the platform bowed. I had to gut and repair it several times, but that's now long gone.

People say good things about Cobalt Flux. It's a tried and true pad. But is it particularly loud? I'm getting an apartment on ground level so that I can play at home again, so at least the thumping will be at a minimum, but do the pad's arrows click loudly, especially if I wear shoes? I play on Heavy/Challenging, so that's kind of a make-or-break factor for me. I'm not sure the neighbors would appreciate loud clicking all day long.

Has anyone tried out the new mod kits Cobalt Flux has out that add raised squares to simulate the arcade feel?

The tl;dr version: Is the cobalt flux pad loud with shoes, bearing in mind it will be used in an apartment? What are the biggest drawbacks to cobalt pads?

Thanks loads.
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

441. PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stepping on the panels isn't particularly loud, occasionally you will get a high pitched squeak but you don't have to worry about sounds of that frequency traveling through walls.
Vehe
Basic Member
Basic Member

442. PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Do they still have a bit of lag when connected to a PC or has that been fixed in newer models?

Edit: I also see that the Stepmania site doesn't list Cobalt Flux pads on their recommended list. Anyone know the reason for that? Is the TX series preferred?
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
Aurora Borealis
Basic Member
Basic Member

443. PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was thinking about getting an Ignition 5.0, but it seems my dad is willing to pay the extra $60 to get the Afterburner if it's worth it. I've read the comments, and they don't seem too good, but a $140 metal pad (with free shipping) IS pretty cheap. I play mostly 9s and the easier 10s (may soon be playing the harder ones when I get this pad). Should I take a chance and get the Afterburner, or just get the Ignition?
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

444. PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything higher than 10 is extremely difficult to play on a foam pad. That's all I'm going to say.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

445. PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just shop around for an off-brand hard pad for half that price. I got a couple for $73 each way back when; and that was after shipping. Are they incredible pads that work perfectly without any modification and require no knowledge of maintenance? Absolutely not. Are they a hell of a lot better than any foam pad? You bet your buttocks they are.
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

446. PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree with Tofu on this one. Back when I first started playing, generic hard pads were absolute garbage. My brother bought two between 2003 and 2004 and they both deteriorated to unusable junk within months.

Now, this was in 2003, not 2009 and my bro and I are 6'-6" tall and weighed around 250 lbs at the time. Because of this, we stuck with the Ignition Pads on plywood until I bought a Cobalt Flux in 2006.

I have been very pleased with my CF since. It's a simple design, which makes repairs and maintenance simple and painless. I love my textured black arcade mod for it (I would stay away from the clear lexan arcade mod, it squeaks like a nest of birds when you play on them).

My only complaint is the price and lack of native USB support. I feel that for how simple the product is, it shouldn't cost more than $250 bucks with the arcade mods. In fact, I believe Tofu made a post somewhere about making a homepad knockoff of the CF for less than $150.

Another suggestion is that anyone who wants a CF but doesn't want to pay up-the-nose for a new one should post in or watch the marketplace sub-forum.
http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=31
People are selling CFs on there regularly, and usually you can get it in decent condition.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

447. PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko, not being a technical or DIY person, but reading so many posts I agree with you re: the CF and the price premium they're charging given how little support they seem to give these days. I wrote them a while ago asking if they would ever consider making something like the CF but a "light" version - as in actual weight along with USB support. Got a very snotty, nasty reply. Turned me off of ever thinking about spending money and dealing with that kind of attitude if something did go wrong.

Now some of you may be able to get said "generic" hard/metal pads and know how to mod them, have the tools, strength and skills. I know it's not brain surgery but for some of us it may as well be.

I would love to get a metal pad. But between the price and weight, there's just no way.

I can't physically lift 40 to 60 lbs, then have to try to get to the third floor of a 100+ y/o house and then jump up and down on it? Not gonna happen.

What I think for many people would be a good thing is something along the lines of a CF as far as how it's made since most people do like the simplicity, ease of care and they don't normally break. But something that's kind of a "hybrid" with the guts of a CF, perhaps the ability to put a rug over the top ala Trinpad for those who live in apartments, have neighbors, family, roomies you don't want to completely drive crazy and something that weighs in the neighborhood of around 20lbs.

PG made a 20lb pad that doesn't slip, has handles built in, channeled wiring. Problems? Arrows too small, bottom sensor WAY too small, arrows so thick it's like stepping on concrete - there is NO give, too recessed and far apart and finally insanely expensive. Oh and the body's plastic so it's a huge dust magnet.

If someone could build said hybrid, have it work, be dependable and not crazy expensive, I believe there is a market for such a pad. I'd definitely be looking at it, as I'm sick to death of paying good money for dense foam pads that no matter who makes them starts dying within a few months (at most) - and that's with taking very good care of them.
View users profile Send private message
SteveChiller
Basic Member
Basic Member

448. PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiken wrote:
sorry to necro an old thread, but I'm trying to gather some information and all of the posts i can find relative to my question are simply too old. So here goes:

I'm wanting to get back into DDR again, and my cheapy Ebay redoctane metal pads i got well over 5 years ago are finally failing. Every arrow is cracked, some of the metal corners are coming un-nailed from the wood, sharp edges are everywhere, and the sensetivity is finally becoming unbearable. The plus side compared to 5 years ago, is that I have a job now and can afford to spend a bit on a higher quality pad. So I search... but it seems DDR has really died out alot lately. Can't even find any recommended brands or anything, other than the ol' Cobalt Flux.

So here is my question. I've got around $350 max to spend (including shipping). Is it worth it to get the Cobalt flux still? being at the top of my budget. The only other options I've been able to find, is either a cheapy one from DDRGame that seems identical to my busted up one almost that actually lasted me a long time, or their iON series, or energy series, which are a bit more pricey, and who knows about the quality, since that seems pretty shady. (they SELL stepmania? what? last i checked thats free >> )
So, back to the subject, are there any other hard pads i should look into, or should I just suck it up and order my CF?

Wow! I can't believe it's been 9yrs since I last logged in and remember my password! But anyway, did you ever get a pad? I too am getting back into DDR after a 3-4yr Hiatus, Im trying to lose some wieght. I've been looking at those same pads you mentioned. I was thinking of just getting the cheapy DDRgame pad and moding it as needed but I am not sure.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
SteveChiller
Basic Member
Basic Member

449. PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I got really lucky and searched Craigslist and found someone selling 2 Colbalt Flux pads for $220! But I am in San Antonio and he was in Austin. it was worth the drive to get them. One of them was used and the other still had the white plastic wrap on it. Nice! so yes, I'd say they are worth the money. Check CL maybe you'll find a good deal as well.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: