Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ddr fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

140. PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chennymountain wrote:

GH is doing nothing to help that ever since they released DJ Hero and soon Dance Hero.

Great, because all we need is people claiming DDR is a rip off of Dance Hero, like they do with Guitar Freaks and Guitar Hero disgust.gif
View users profile Send private message
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

141. PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chennymountain wrote:
Aside from ITG and a few assorted failgames (Donkey Konga, Taiko Drum Master, Pappa Rappa, and that one urban dance game),

If you're insinuating that Taiko and Parappa the Rappa are fail games, I now hate you with the passion of a thousand fiery suns!

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
chennymountain
Trick Member
Trick Member

142. PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suko wrote:
chennymountain wrote:
Aside from ITG and a few assorted failgames (Donkey Konga, Taiko Drum Master, Pappa Rappa, and that one urban dance game),

If you're insinuating that Taiko and Parappa the Rappa are fail games, I now hate you with the passion of a thousand fiery suns!

They weren't big sellers like DDR, ITG, and GH is what I meant.

pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

143. PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you mentioned "that one urban dance game", were you by any chance referring to Flow, chennymountain? I suppose I should have asked, "how much do such attitudes vary among regions?" as in, "do most places hold such attitudes, or is every place greatly different?"

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
chennymountain
Trick Member
Trick Member

144. PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
When you mentioned "that one urban dance game", were you by any chance referring to Flow, chennymountain? I suppose I should have asked, "how much do such attitudes vary among regions?" as in, "do most places hold such attitudes, or is every place greatly different?"

I don't know. The box is orange, though.

To answer your other question, yes. Places have different attitudes toward games in different places. Such as, the Japanese generally don't like the Xbox because they prefer pick-up-and-play games. As opposed to America which prefers games with a story, something you have to save and load and stuff.

Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

145. PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chennymountain wrote:
Such as, the Japanese generally don't like the Xbox because they prefer pick-up-and-play games. As opposed to America which prefers games with a story, something you have to save and load and stuff.

Apparently, you haven't heard of those lesser-known JRPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Or The Legend of Zelda, which is the first console game to support a save feature. Or the Metal Gear Solid series. =\

In fact, I'd say that your statement is almost exactly opposite of the true market demographics. Japanese gamers have been playing dating sims for years, which require ridiculous amounts of time and energy just to watch a story (more-or-less). American's tend to favor games like Halo and Gears of War that aren't exactly heavy on the story or substance with those, ya'know?

But, anyways, we're getting way off topic here.

aegisjester
Basic Member
Basic Member

146. PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget American's affinity with sports games, not exactly the most in-depth adventures.

Back to the heart of the matter, I don't think DDR is going anywhere fast. Its market share might be going down a bit, but so did Mario Bros. after the playstation came out. Last time I checked, people still play mario quite a bit.

Hell, I got my first DDR game in May (it seems somebody mislabeled a brand new DDR universe 3 with a dance pad for $16 one evening, my roommate and I decided it was worth the investment). Every new release generates quite a bit of hype, but so do a lot of other things so its not quite as evident as it used to be.
Syncopation
Trick Member
Trick Member

147. PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What did Guitar Hero do that Dance Dance Revolution didn't? How do we increase the appeal to other people?

For the home versions, it's simple, but of course, this is IMHO:

No silly missions/quests/modes/cryptic codes required to unlock game features or songs, in Guitar Hero one could just start playing the game and the songs unlocked as soon as a level tier at a specific difficulty was completed!

Later versions of Guitar Hero don't even have the songs locked. Yes, playing in career mode reveals the songs in groups, but just doing a quick play of a song they are all available in the song selection screen.
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

148. PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncopation wrote:

No silly missions/quests/modes/cryptic codes required to unlock game features or songs, in Guitar Hero one could just start playing the game and the songs unlocked as soon as a level tier at a specific difficulty was completed!

I thought that was what DDR did up until Extreme 2 E19.gif
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

149. PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureBlue wrote:
Syncopation wrote:

I thought that was what DDR did up until Extreme 2 E19.gif

Wow, PureBlue, you have to go out right now and buy Max 1 & 2 for the PS2. They are probably the best US console DDR games available. They weren't identical to the arcade, but they were definitely close.

<rant>

Back then, all you had to do was play. Any difficulty, any ability, it didn't matter. The better you scored, the quicker songs would pop up and be available. No needing to "earn money" to "buy" a song. Nope, there was just a set list of 30 or so locked songs that would be given to you steadily as you played. It generally took me about a week to unlock all the songs (save for the boss songs, which were the last to get unlocked and seemed to take forever).

I have hated, truly HATED all the recent DDR console games that force me to play a "Mission Mode" that has me play 5 novice songs in a row, just to progress and unlock new music. When I can AAA 9 step Heavy songs, this isn't even remotely fun. It's tedious and boring and absolutely pathetic. I feel like I need to get my Mom to play these for me just so I don't have to waste my time on them.

I feel like if Konami loves Mission Mode so much, then leave it there, but don't make it the ONLY way to unlock songs. Let people like me just PLAY THE GAME so I can unlock them the traditional way.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH! I hate the new console DDR games!

</rant>

PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

150. PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have Max 1 and Max2 and play them regularly E15.gif I kinda took what Syncopation said out of context; I meant BEFORE Extreme 2 you just had to play game mode to unlock songs. I should have made that clearer. laugh.gif

Last edited by PureBlue on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total
chennymountain
Trick Member
Trick Member

151. PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they have you just passing beginner songs, then about 3 days worth of story mode later, you have to AA M300SMMM, Xepher, Healing D Vision, and Chaos Oni. Not. Fun. At. All.

suneelkumar85
Basic Member
Basic Member

152. PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're still two separate games, I don't quite understand where you're coming from. If they were the same, ITG would have been called Stepmania. One is a simulator for the PC, one is an arcade game that got sued by Konami. End of story. Besides that point, I may have only joined last year, but I can guarantee you that join dates mean absolutely nothing. 100% guaranteed, I could drink 1 1/2 bottles of Robitussin Long Acting Cough Syrup and still beat you at DDR or ITG. Yes, I am blatantly putting it out there that I could be tripping hardcore and still beat you at DDR.
---------------------------------------------------
hot air balloon Brisbane
Marco Island Florida waterfront vacation rental house
P3MA
Basic Member
Basic Member

153. PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Is DDR dead? Reply with quote

Here at the Jersey Shore, DDR has leveled off at certain places like bowling alley's and movie theaters. I do believe though that DDR is starting to become popular again at arcades around here. When I try to freestyle at my arcade, I usually have a crowd of at least 5 people watching me. Since freestyle was never huge around here and most players are PA'ers, you can get away with basic moves.
Famine
Trick Member
Trick Member

154. PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exercise doesn't die. It's a lifestyle.

Anyway, the problem with DDR is the name.

Why would you ever associate this game with dancing? It is quite possibly the worst decision ever made.

The very fact this unique physical activity has been branded with such a terrible name for over a decade will always draw criticism and stigma. I think if Konami, from the get-go, made the game more technical* and more attractive to exercise avenues, it would have been much more socially acceptable as a unique sport.

*For example, why, after all these years, do we still use discretized timing windows?
#Infinity
Trick Member
Trick Member

155. PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda got into running a lot more than DDR by high school, and although it was a really fun game while it lasted, it's pretty much a been-there-done-that situation for me now. I still play it occasionally play StepMania for fun, though (just did right now, in fact).
Trick Member
Trick Member

156. PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us in the more useless countries (IE New Zealand) DDR hasn't really faded away. It can't, since it never really hit us.

There are no large arcade chains here save for 1 or 2, but even then they only have locations in the largest cities in very small places (IE Auckland's most popular is underneath a Burger King) and the other places that have machines have the oldest, shoddiest games you can think of, and they often get rid of them because they don't make enough money, or charge obscene amounts of money ($2 per game, no doubles kinda situation).

There's only two DDR machines that I know of in Auckland, and they're not in fantastic condition, and people don't exactly queue to use them.

I first heard about DDR from a friend last year, who pointed me at stepmania. After I bought Fusion, Supernova, Megamix and Fever (in that order) for my PS2, and built my own hard pad.
I found out about SuperNova2 end of last year, thought it was a new release, but it turned out to be more than a year old. I still bought it off Ebay UK, like the rest of my games. laugh.gif

Some are listed on the EB games website, but you can only get them pre owned, and they don't have any in stock anywhere in NZ.
I've seen Dancing Stage fusion twice in their preowned stock, one copy of Dance UK, two copies of DS Universe, and two copies of DS Universe 2 at the warehouse. That's how bad it is over here. I can fully remember the times that I've seen the bloody games.

Gah, it makes me so mad. This country is too small for anything fun or useful to bother with this country.
disgust.gif

In any case though, I'm trying to get people into it more, because there's alot of SM players around. Hence why heaps of auctions for USB mats have appeared on TradeMe.
I just hope the next DDR titles arrive here soon.... and I swear I'm gonna throw a fit if they aren't released.

Tl; Dr, NZ's useless for DDR, can't disappear having never appeared in the first place.
MeltedIce
Trick Member
Trick Member

157. PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could be considered a vet? I started playing in 2003. My take on this thread is this...

Its sad that I remember this but my first day I ever played was September 3rd, 2003. It was on a DDR Extreme machine and my first song was Speed Over Beethoven, since it was the only one I recognized from the demo songs. I was 16 at the time. I always had a love for music games and this one was awesome. I remember coming home and finding this site, then stumbling onto Stepmania. The first couple months of DDR are the best when its all so fresh and new. The years went by and I continued to play until late 2005. The end of DDR for me was when they really messed up the US DDR Extreme. I couldn't take the changes and I slowly lost my love for it.

Back then there were no social networks, there wasn't Xbox Live, text messaging, and all these things that make us all so connected. DDR was a way to connect to people. People who shared a common interest. It brought you together at a local arcade. In a way, DDR was in a sense, a social network. This is what made the game so fun. Meeting people. The music blasting. The crowds that would gather around. It was just a rare and different experience.

Nowadays you know what everyone is doing. Twitter, Facebook. If someone sneezes you will know it. Your audience is your virtual friends instead of the crowd. Meeting someone is only a click away.

I won't say DDR is dead because it's not. Its still around it's just not the same. SN1 and SN2 were awful. The direction Konami took the game just doesn't fit. DDR was always about the music to me. Its not about scores, or making sure my timing is absolutely perfect. It was about playing your favorite songs, feeling the music and dancing. The game is taking to much of a competitive nature for me to truly get into it.

I was recently down Wildwood New Jersey and walked by Gateway 26 where there was ALWAYS a DDR machine right on the boardwalk. For 3 years I played Extreme there and there were ALWAYS people on it. Well there is still a DDR cabinet there but it is SN2, and its facing in a weird direction. No one was on it. It was truly a sad sad sight. E2.gif

First 10-Footer Passed: MAX300 with a B.
My Pad: RedOctane Ignition 2.0 w/plywood MOD.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
8ftmetalhead
Trick Member
Trick Member

158. PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy thread necromancy!
almost a year old thread my friend.

Humm, having spent the year at uni, I've found a few machines around, aswell as had the local extreme repaired. There's still certainly an interest in DDR but I think here it's not so much dead as 'on hiatus till arcades get their acts together'.
There are alot of people who come down and play in the groove though. Extreme, not so much, but that particular arcade sees alot more action during the holidays. being a cinema arcade and all.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: