Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Building completely arcade accurate DDR/ITG pads?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loyx
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Building completely arcade accurate DDR/ITG pads? Reply with quote

I wanted to make a new thread since this forum doesn't seem to get that much traffic anymore, let alone the home built metal pad thread, and I figured it's unique enough to warrant it's own thread.

Has anyone had any experience with building arcade accurate ddr/itg pads (:cough: paging goatee_guy :cough: E10.gif)? I'm looking to do this over the summer, but I'm missing a lot of info about the arcade pads. I MIGHT be able to decipher the measurements from the ddr arcade manuals (and if you have these measurements it would be much appreciated), but I honestly have no idea where to start when it comes to the materials. I remember hearing that the DDR and ITG arcade machine pads don't use wood in their design, but that's honestly.. all I know about it frown.gif.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I will document the construction of the stage completely, and all the information I gather about this will be uploaded E1.gif

I'll upload some rough sketches tomorrow. Thanks.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy...

As for measurements... the 'squares' are 11x11 inches.
(the measurements are all in the manuals)

As for materials. I'll be honest. Building an entire frame out of metal? Unless you have a friend that can hook you up with all that... (and do all the welding, etc for you) It would be crazy expensive.

My frame is made out of wood, however unlike most pads, I wasn't going for 'cheap', I was going for 'durable'. So despite being wood, it's very sturdy... (I used the frame for my old 'ghetto' DDR pad (as I called it lol), for several years) and then just gutted the frame and used it for this.

As for the metal panels. Someone messaged me on YouTube saying they could get the square metal panels for 90 bucks each, which isn't too bad...

I paid 1200 bucks CDN for ALL my metalwork. (All 14 guage, custom laser cut stainless steel). Since well, good luck even thinking about trying to bend 14 guage steel yourself. (and doing it accurately)

How much do you plan on spending for this project? As well, do you have woodworking experience, etc?
View users profile Send private message
mikieson
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck getting help as this site and the games have been dead for about 5 years now. Its sad but true. Have fun building..
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikieson wrote:
Good luck getting help as this site and the games have been dead for about 5 years now. Its sad but true. Have fun building..

Um, you make it sound like he's on Mission Impossible...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84xk8WvwYfk
I built one, I'm sure he can too...
mikieson
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goatee_guy wrote:
mikieson wrote:

I dont get what you are LINKING me to? What does that have to do with this site being dead along with the games? AND getting tons of help here on the forums?

Its sad sure...I love DDR,Stepmania although I havent played in a few years and this place is a ghost town compared to what it use to be.

Again, good luck TC...
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikieson wrote:
goatee_guy wrote:
mikieson wrote:

I dont get what you are LINKING me to? What does that have to do with this site being dead along with the games? AND getting tons of help here on the forums?

Its sad sure...I love DDR,Stepmania although I havent played in a few years and this place is a ghost town compared to what it use to be.

Again, good luck TC...

You said "Good luck getting help", and to me that sounded like you were saying it was almost "Mission Impossible" (as I commented on before). I then posted a link to the machine I JUST finished building... using the forums and other online information.

In all actuality, it's prolly easier to build a cabinet now than it ever has been... (especially since the development of OpenITG and the PACDRIVE interface makes things a lot easier)

This site may be dead (as about as fast as a snail trying to crawl though molasses most of the time), but there are definitely other forums / websites that contain the information he needs in a simple google search.

That was what I meant.
loyx
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy poopy these are the slowest forums i've ever used - maybe the acoustic coupler in their datacenter is going bad E10.gif

Anyway, I pretty much have a good idea for the frame, the biggest hurdle for me are the small "specialty" parts, especially the frame of the active panel and all the parts that are attached to it, like the panel "support" bracket that often bleeds through the decals of old machines, and the slotted bracket that presses into the sensor. I'd probably have to get them custom made in a metal shop, but does anyone have any tips for these parts? Maybe there is a distributor that sells these parts somewhere that I'm missing (I hope DE1.gif
Thanks.

P.S.
Do you have aim, goatee_guy?
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: