Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ITG 3 Machine / Best Homepad period.

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: ITG 3 Machine / Best Homepad period. Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84xk8WvwYfk
View users profile Send private message
rbh221
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions, lol. First of all, I want to say, that was pure awesomeness. I assume you used stepmania for the base of your whole machine, right? What version did you use? 3.9 or 4.0? How did you get your lights controlled? I mean, it was just like the arcade. I know you can really easily get it set up so when you step on it, but how did you you make the game control them too? Thanks.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbh221 wrote:
I have a couple of questions, lol. First of all, I want to say, that was pure awesomeness. I assume you used stepmania for the base of your whole machine, right? What version did you use? 3.9 or 4.0? How did you get your lights controlled? I mean, it was just like the arcade. I know you can really easily get it set up so when you step on it, but how did you you make the game control them too? Thanks.

The machine is running the OpenITG beta 2, with the latest ITG3 Theme (Unreleased though, sorry, can't give it out).

Lights are controlled via the PacDrive support in OpenITG.

http://ultimarc.com/pacdrive.html

Plug in the PacDrive, set it up, and you're good to go. It handles everything.

And thanks E13.gif
SurferX
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is unbelievably awesome. I mean everyone tries to make pads but going all out and making the full cabinet and everything, with any song you can dream of, it just doesn't get better than that. I'm sure you and many others will enjoy that for a long time to come.

I've never constructed anything major like that, but I do have to say that is quite inspiring. When you put up the website detailing how you did it, I will probably try to tackle the pads at the very least because they just look so amazing.
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SurferX wrote:
That is unbelievably awesome. I mean everyone tries to make pads but going all out and making the full cabinet and everything, with any song you can dream of, it just doesn't get better than that. I'm sure you and many others will enjoy that for a long time to come.

I've never constructed anything major like that, but I do have to say that is quite inspiring. When you put up the website detailing how you did it, I will probably try to tackle the pads at the very least because they just look so amazing.

Thanks Bro,

*laughs* I'm one of those people that... (I'm sure you've heard the phrase) "If you're not going to do something right, don't do it at all". I wanted a pad that would be JUST as good as the arcade. That didn't need adjustments all the time, or that would crack, break, etc. You hear all these horror stories of people buying pads, and they die after a few months (or need constant repair). I wanted something that would stand up, no questions asked.

I've always enjoyed building things (built the basement suite I'm living in now actually). Building a cabinet though is NOT an easy feat. Takes a lot of exact measurements, planning, and someone who's really good with woodworking. *laughs* I have a website a little bit done... we'll see what happens with it. As well I think the biggest thing is the money issue... Most people don't want to blow 4,500 CDN on something like this. Especially since you don't 'need' the cabinet. (and I didn't need the 1200 Watt Sony Subs, or the 37" LG TV, or the LED lights, or the coin slot, etc) E13.gif *laughs* and don't need the fancy decals either (those were not cheap...). But it was a fun project, and it's my workout machine... so I consider it a good investment.

However the way I did these pads, I wouldn't suggest copying... They're larger and heaver than they need to be (I used the frame from my old pads) which has 2x4's thoughout the entire thing... It's HEAVY. (*laughs* "It's not heavy, it's arcade realistic") But if you had no plans of moving it... (at least not often) Then they do look like actual arcade pads... I don't have the actual decals on the side of em yet (they need another paint job)... but soon'ish.... Also keep in mind I had a 'spare no expense' attitude... All the pad metal panels are custom laser cut / bent 14 guage stainless.

It'll look nice in my Rec Room once I buy my house E13.gif *laughs*
SurferX
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what you got out of it, the cost was definitely justified. That doesn't even compare to getting some used beat up arcade machine with a lesser audio/video setup and more limited options as far as to what you can play on it at any given time.

I like that your pads are big and heavy actually, that's what I'd be looking to do myself. You did a lot of really great things to replicate the arcade experience that I would probably leave out for my own project if I did one as I wouldn't be trying to go that far. But I agree that if you are going to do something, go all out and do it right, expensive things are worth paying for if the differences are clearly distinguishable.
rbh221
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another question: How much did the sensors in the pads cost? It's 16 in each pad, right?
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbh221 wrote:
Here's another question: How much did the sensors in the pads cost? It's 16 in each pad, right?

Well, your BEST bet now... is to grab them off eBay from croxgear...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DDR-Pump-It-Up-In-The-groove-Floor-Sensors-4-sets-8PC_W0QQitemZ290396725372QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item439cfe607c#ht_2018wt_1139

So about 150 US for a 1p Pad, 300 US for a full 2p pad

and yes, 16... one on each side of the panel. You would also need something to hold the sensors in... unfortunately mymybox isn't selling them anymore, so I'd have no idea where to get em now.
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbh221 wrote:

Well, your BEST bet now... is to grab them off eBay from croxgear...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DDR-Pump-It-Up-In-The-groove-Floor-Sensors-4-sets-8PC_W0QQitemZ290396725372QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item439cfe607c#ht_2018wt_1139

So about 150 US for a 1p Pad, 300 US for a full 2p pad

and yes, 16... one on each side of the panel. You would also need something to hold the sensors in... unfortunately mymybox isn't selling them anymore, so I'd have no idea where to get em now.
rbh221
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this is what you're talking about?

http://www.mymybox.com/mbsacc10.html

I'll try to find them. Forgive me, but I've never seen the inside of an arcade pad in person. I have a picture here, I'll try to make out what's in it:

If I understand it right, on the underside of the plexiglas, there are strips of sheet metal, on top of the sensors, are foam rectangles (The things I marked "No idea".), and then the sensors themselves, correct?
goatee_guy
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbh221 wrote:
I assume this is what you're talking about?

http://www.mymybox.com/mbsacc10.html

I'll try to find them. Forgive me, but I've never seen the inside of an arcade pad in person. I have a picture here, I'll try to make out what's in it:

If I understand it right, on the underside of the plexiglas, there are strips of sheet metal, on top of the sensors, are foam rectangles (The things I marked "No idea".), and then the sensors themselves, correct?

There is a metal L bracket on top of each of the sensors (with foam on the top of it), and then under the L brackets at the sensors inside the sensor holders at that URL.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: