Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Possible wiring issue.

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fabio Gonzales
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Possible wiring issue. Reply with quote

Since I decided to pick DDR up again, I've been working on my old metal pad to get it up and running well. Its about 5-6 years old, and I sold it to a friend about 2 years ago. I got the pad back and had to buy another control box for it, but when I hooked it up, my pad wouldn't work. I got the control box from DDRgame.com (the 4-in-1 deal) and it seems to work fine. The start and select buttons work, but nothing on the pad does. The pins are working, since touching them with a metal object causes some sort of action (such as song selection or moves left or right), so I'm assuming its a problem with my pad's wiring.

The pad is similar to a TX-2000, but I have no clue exactly what brand it is. I got if for Christmas a long time ago, and my parents got ripped of BIG time. ($500 for the pad with no brand logos anywhere. They might have imported). I have no clue how to go about messing with the wiring, and I'm stumped as to what exactly is the problem. Does anyone have any clue what I should do to go about fixing this or a way to further diagnose whats going on? I'd prefer not to make this more of a hassle than its worth, but its looking like its going to be. :/
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the first thing to do would be to open it up and see if anything is obviously unconnected
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edible Bondage Tape wrote:
well the first thing to do would be to open it up and see if anything is obviously unconnected

After some deconstruction (essentially breaking off some of the metal rods that kept the metal attached to the wood), it looks like just a few things are disconnected, but those only appear to be for the arrow lights. I've also cut off a part of the wire that connects to the control box just in case its something wrong with that, so right now I just need to reconnect some things. All in all, the wires look fine.

Could it be a control box issue, such as the end of the cord that connects to the control box is screwy? Its been sitting in an attic for a good while so could dust and such have messed up the inputs for the 15 pin insert?
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dust no but being in an uninsulated environment could be bad for it and just because nothing is obviously disconnected (that you say is important) doesnt mean everything actually has continuity

your description of how the box works if you manually close the pingap makes me think the problayb is in the pad like you though and just from how the description of lights wirign being undone sounds like they may all be daisy chained in to a ground and having one broken is breaking the entire ground scheme

i would say give all connections a good quick zot with a soldering iron to make sure that any possble weak joints that could have inteneral disconnection are set again
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edible Bondage Tape wrote:
i would say give all connections a good quick zot with a soldering iron to make sure that any possble weak joints that could have inteneral disconnection are set again

I wish I had a soldering iron, but I am a poor college kid with no friends with tools like that frown.gif. I'm using electrical tape to keep the wires together, and I'm doing a pretty crappy job (although it seems to be making a connection)

You were right. A few wires are loose in the pad as well as the used-to-be-unimportant-light-cables-but-are-now-#1-priority-on-this-thing. I connected them, but now my down arrow acts as the circle button, and my right arrow is both the triangle and the left arrow button O_o. There are 3 wires that aren't connected to anything, and switching wires doesn't have a big effect, other than making it act as the right arrow instead for 2 of the wires. I might just have to disassemble all of the wire fixtures and start checking connections until I get it to work.

I'll mess around some more with the wires, but what are suppose to be my X and O buttons still don't work. Its probably another connection problem, but I'd like my down arrow to be what its suppose to first XP. Thanks alot for the help.
Arkanoid0
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you may need to rewire the pins going to the control-box. Once you have the pad fully wired, the pins on the control-box may not mesh with the correct wires on the pad. Figure out, using a wire, ground and the buttons on the control-box. Then, figure out how the pad is wired, and make the two mesh.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Fabio Gonzales
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkanoid0 wrote:
I think that you may need to rewire the pins going to the control-box. Once you have the pad fully wired, the pins on the control-box may not mesh with the correct wires on the pad. Figure out, using a wire, ground and the buttons on the control-box. Then, figure out how the pad is wired, and make the two mesh.

Perfect timing. I was about to ask a question about my control box being the issue, since I am getting the down arrow to register as the right. Do you happen to know how the wiring works exactly, or is it different for every pad? The left and down arrows seem to be on the same circuit, as does the up and right arrows. For both sets, the sensor wires connect with each other at certain points, then go out to the 15 pin wire. Is there a wire for the ground, then a wire for each sensor, or do you not have enough information to be able to tell?

Another question (which I may end up doing to save myself some trouble). Does the control box you have effect the pad itself, such as registering the arrows differently?
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as grounding goes every circuit has a ground somewhere to be a complete circuit the way you are describing the circuits it sounds like the left and down arrows have a daisy chained ground and the right and up have a daisy chained ground

we are almost getting to the point where pictures will be helpful to this problem
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. I did what Arkanoid suggested and figured out which wires were ground or sensor. I did some rewiring and now the pad works again happy.gif. I think the issue was the control box, since I had a different brand of pad than what it was designed for. The light wiring ended up not being important at all, so that made less to deal with.

Thanks again for the help biggrin.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: