Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Apartment buildings - no noise or vibrations - ideas?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddrenthusiast
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Apartment buildings - no noise or vibrations - ideas? Reply with quote

Say money was no object, and you wanted to rig a metal dancepad so there would be no noise or vibrations or whatever, save for the music.

What would you try?

The object is to not get any problems with downstairs neighbors because of stomping on the pad.
View users profile Send private message
richard2o9
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing you can do about the noise unless your playing on light/basic quietly. Is it possible for you to move to a downstairs apartment?
ddrenthusiast
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard2o9 wrote:
There's nothing you can do about the noise unless your playing on light/basic quietly. Is it possible for you to move to a downstairs apartment?

That's what I don't buy.

I don't have this problem myself, but friends do.

What would it take to completely remove the "pounding" that creates the jackhammer effect downstairs? Even upstairs neighbors sometimes hear it if you're dancing downstairs. So I'm looking for a technical explanation of what it would take, regardless of cost. I'm sure once a technical solution is found, someone will think up a low cost version.
ddrenthusiast
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something here, mentioning recycled rubber tires:
http://www.allbusiness.com/real-estate-rental-leasing/real-activities-related-to-real/587796-1.html

And with it, a term that can be used for Googling:
impact sound

This is exactly what's happening with our dancing.

And impact sound insulation is the field we're looking at here. I'm thinking maybe a few extra layers beneath our pads might help solve the problem.

I have a plywood square I mounted a soft mat on. After further modding it with four rubber (camping mattress) squares, the impact noise was severely reduced, even with nothing under the plywood itself, only bare wooden floor.
infamous360
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.impactgel.com/

it might work but idk for sure
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if money's no object, why rent?

Barring buying a house, there's no way to completely get rid of the noise and vibration. Trust me, I have what I can to help:

1) the pad should be near a corner of the room
2) have a layer of a hollow some kind of plastic dimple pad
3) have a layer of MVL (Mass Loaded Vinyl)
4) area rug over that
5) a smaller pad made from the dimple material, then a self-stick layer of airline quality 1/4" sound/vibration insulating foam, plywood over that THEN my dense foam pad

Guess what, only doing 6-7f ITG, 6-8f DDR you can still hear and feel vibration 2 floors down. Now this is a 100+ y/o house with older wood floors, plaster walls and ceilings.

http://www.soundproofing.org/index.html is where I got my materials. They have stuff where you could rip out the floors and completely re-do underneath the flooring. But the sound I believe will still travel. Unless you have a room you can afford to completely try to soundproof for noise and vibration. That means floor, walls and ceiling. They are very nice, will really try to help you with a noise situation and they even have a forum.
BAGGER VANCE
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infamous360 wrote:
http://www.impactgel.com/

it might work but idk for sure

anything billy mays endorses works. Get this.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory foam is your god and your savior.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: