Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Any reason to go from R21 to Hacked R23?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Any reason to go from R21 to Hacked R23? Reply with quote

According to the Roxor Games support page, R23 offers the following "fixes":

* Fix inaccurate input on some kits.
* End all Custom Songs at 120 seconds, even if the music runs for longer. This prevents players from playing for longer than 120 seconds when using .ogg music with inaccurate metadata length values.
* Includes all fixes from Revision 21 and earlier.

I have R21 on my cab, and was wondering why people would even bother with installing a hacked version of R23. Is there really a benefit to this? If so, what?

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacked R23? You can't hack the update and then install it onto a machine.

But anyway, the main thing (like you mentioned) is it cuts off all songs at 135 seconds. This counters the .OGG length patch that allows players to play 10 minute songs if they wanted to. This is more of a benefit to arcade operators because forcing time restrictions cycles more players.

Supposidly R23 allows background animations for customs.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have your own machine, don't bother with R23.

If you acquire some kinda profit from it running in a public setting, you would benefit from R23.

So... basically what Dave said.
View users profile Send private message
Kaku
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacked R23 is great because of the fact that you can have custom background animations.

You'd be an idiot to put R23 on a machine that is making you profit with the reasoning that people can't play super long songs. There's a good chance that there's another ITG machine somewhere else nearby and you can watch all your customers go byebye when they all go play on the other machine because it has R21.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R21 basically gets rid of all scripted BG changes in songs and has random ones for all of them, as well as it has some syncing issues and, from my personal experience, leads the machine to some trouble at times.

I prefer R23 since it fixes this, and is a more stable version. Plus if you know what you're doing, you can basically "patch" R23 to where you can set what the song cutoff limit is.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaku wrote:

You'd be an idiot to put R23 on a machine that is making you profit with the reasoning that people can't play super long songs. There's a good chance that there's another ITG machine somewhere else nearby and you can watch all your customers go byebye when they all go play on the other machine because it has R21.

I live in one of the most populous states in the USA (NJ) and, based on what I have observed here - people do not want to tolerate spending massive amounts of time waiting for someone to complete a 3+ minute song on an R21 in a paying establishment. Almost all the machines in this area that do well profit wise run on R23.

Not to mention the customers you speak of account for such a small majority of the paying body that even if they threw a fit about it, it wouldn't hurt profits in any significant way.
EvilDave219
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja N8 wrote:
Kaku wrote:

I live in one of the most populous states in the USA (NJ) and, based on what I have observed here - people do not want to tolerate spending massive amounts of time waiting for someone to complete a 3+ minute song on an R21 in a paying establishment. Almost all the machines in this area that do well profit wise run on R23.

Not to mention the customers you speak of account for such a small majority of the paying body that even if they threw a fit about it, it wouldn't hurt profits in any significant way.
This.

I fail to see how limiting custom songs to 2:20 each instead of letting them be 10 minute long Dragonforce songs hurts arcade business.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one of our more busier arcades around here [which now no longer exists], there was a lot of griping about players playing super long songs (>5 minutes) when R21 first came out - and that was by other players!

Interestingly enough, when someone plays on an R21 machine around here now and they are playing a song over 2:30, they are usually quite apologetic about it (unless they don't know any better or just want to be difficult).

If I owned my a publicly operated ITG machine, I would be happy to put in extended versions of songs for players (which is what some machines have now) for the cost of two songs. For the sake of other players on busy nights though, I would be firm in holding onto the R23 configurations. Long story short, its about keeping the customer majority happy.

As stated before, if you want to play really long songs, you can build your own machine with Stepmania and whore it out all you want lol. It doesn't belong in a public arena (unless maybe you are holding some sort of special event).
Slayer³
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDave219 wrote:
Ninja N8 wrote:
Kaku wrote:

This.

I fail to see how limiting custom songs to 2:20 each instead of letting them be 10 minute long Dragonforce songs hurts arcade business.

Here's an example:

Say you just got off work and went to your local arcade, maybe you have one hour, maybe 2 before closing. You want to play a few ITG games.

You arrive and someone plays 3, 10+ minute songs in a row, the 2nd person in line does the same.

You get one game in, are you happy?

If it's you're own private game R21 works great, especially if you have a few friends over. It's a different scenario with an arcade. (unless they have a ton of machines, but this is rare)
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
TheCosmicPope
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracked R23 > R21
Cracked R23 allows you to set where the song cutoff is, and it fixes background animations.

Also, in regards to long songs, the best bet with that is to hack them onto the machine and have them count as multiple rounds. That's how the machine at U of I is set up.
Kaku
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slayer: Nobody does that here because people here aren't douchebags. If they do that often where you live there's a problem with your community.

There's an unwritten rule in the community here that if other people are waiting, you don't play songs longer than 4 minutes. Most people play 2-2.5 minute songs while others are waiting.

I assumed your community isn't full of idiots who make other people wait 30 minutes for a game. Since it's busy here too, usually you have to wait one hour for a game but that's because there's like 10 people in line before you and they go two at a time.

EvilDave: The reason being is because let's say there's a situation where there two ITG machines side by side, where one has unlimited song length and one has a 2:20 limit (this was the case in our community a year or so ago). Someone walks in on an empty Tuesday morning and decides to play on a machine. This guy likes playing Dragonforce. Which machine does he pick? The machine he can play Dragonforce on.

On Monday-Friday mornings and afternoons arcades are relatively empty, and you'll maybe have at most 3-4 people playing a machine at a time. At times where there's one person who wants to play long songs, restricting that option means basically losing business which would have otherwise been generated.

On Friday nights, Saturdays, and Sundays, people are courteous enough to not play 4+ minute songs so it's ok.

That's why Hacked R23 with unlimited song length makes more money than regular R23 here.

edit: Same thing goes for double premium. It's the same idea - while fewer people are able to play during a high-traffic time, the amount of money made by drawing doubles players from other ITG machines offsets this loss at least in my community. I've experimented with R21, R23, cracked R23, and double premium enough on the machine that I own at our arcade to know how much money the machine pulls in on any given month with certain settings.

Also, I don't make any songs count as 2 rounds because people will just ogg length patch a song and play it as one round anyway. I've tried it before and nobody plays the 2-round songs.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr

if the machine is really busy, legit r23 makes more money

if the machine isn't, cracked r23 doesn't necessarily make more money, but it is nicer for the people who play.
hackiavelli
Basic Member
Basic Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVE101 wrote:
But anyway, the main thing (like you mentioned) is it cuts off all songs at 135 seconds. This counters the .OGG length patch that allows players to play 10 minute songs if they wanted to. This is more of a benefit to arcade operators because forcing time restrictions cycles more players.

When the local arcade upgraded from R21 to R23 there were a lot of complaints. They put up a snarky sign saying if people had a problem with R23 they'd be "happy" to downgrade to R16, knowing full well that would cut off custom songs altogether.

Treating your core customer base who was doing nothing but pump money into that machine so dickishly was enough to stop me going there. It must have pissed off some other players too because several months later when I happened to stop by the sign was down and the machine was back to R21 (I'm still not going back though).
vyhd
Basic Member
Basic Member

13. PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^

When the core customer base is a bunch of self-absorbed whiners, I fail to see how treating them like a bunch of self-absorbed whiners is 'dickish'. A bad one, maybe, but by no means a rude one.

They own the machine, and if players are playing stupidly long songs and making others wait, that essentially costs the arcade money in lost time, fewer rounds, and fewer regulars (I don't think you'd show up too often if people were playing 20 minutes of song every round). They did retain USB songs for the people who didn't abuse it, and players still complained about that. Then the arcade reminded them that they could remove the feature entirely if the complaining kept up. The arcade was entirely in the right on that one, and it's a shame the sign's ironic sense of self-absorption was entirely lost on the player base.

Completely offtopic, but it's also completely asinine for players to complain about not being able to abuse the machines, so it balances out somewhat.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: