Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

help needed fixing up panels on my "metal" mat

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
necorn
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: help needed fixing up panels on my "metal" mat Reply with quote

hey people
recently i replaced the panels on my 3rd party metal mat with polycarbonate sheets 3mm thick because the original panels were cracking. i also stuck a sheet of .5mm thick aluminum sheet metal on top of the polycarbonate. it worked fine for a day or two after that, and i was getting good scores but then i noticed that the panel had been bent inwards. the foil contact i stuck on the back of the panel was touching the sensor, creating ghosting and i had to flip it over for temporary use.
im kinda thinking that the metal had bent and had also made the polycarbonate bend as well, or maybe its the polycarbonate on itself thats the problem but anyway in the end i took off the metal sheets and left the whole thing until i can figure out how to fix this mess.
just a couple questions,
1. will removing the metal help in not bending the panel any further?
2. any suggestions on how to improve the pad itself without spending too much
3. whats a better way to make the contact foil on the back of the panel? the foil i stuck on is ripping off and i had to replace it every few days or so which was annoying. ive heard about sheet metal modding it, so i was also wondering if using the aluminum sheets as a substitute for the foil would work ok or not.
i also thought that maybe it had to do with how i arranged the inside space where the sensor goes, if i get some decent replies ill post some pictures of the mat and the state its in.

help is greatly appreciated
thanks~
View users profile Send private message
Evedell
Basic Member
Basic Member

1. PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I checked, polycarbonate does NOT bend, as it is a relatively resilient material.

The best solution here is to go with a sheet metal mod and get rid of the foil contacts - sheet metal doesn't flex quite as easily, and you shouldn't have to deal with a bent contact afterward.

Another solution, if you're looking to try something, is to stack washers in between the two panels to separate the contacts a little further, which should keep them from ghosting when you're not applying pressure. BUT you have to make sure that the washers aren't making contact with the contact, or else it's counter-intuitive (unless it's part of a design).
necorn
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the aluminum sheet metal ive got now (0.5mm thick) too thick to stick on as a contact? people have been recommending 26 gauge, and it seems ive got 24 gauge metal...
btw i dont think im too clear on this..
does the term "sheet metal mod" mean to just replace the foil contact on the bottom with sheet metal or to replace the whole panel with a piece ofsheet metal?
26 gauge is a bit thin to use as a panel on its own isnt it..?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: