Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Home made problem, help please!

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steinway
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Home made problem, help please! Reply with quote

I have been using my pad ( http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=133720 ) for a month or so now and I've started doing harder songs the problem is that I'll be playing then suddenly the mat will stop working. Sometimes it comes back after 5 seconds or so, sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in, sometimes the computer needs to be restarted. Nothing really makes sense of why its doing this. Any ideas??
View users profile Send private message
8ftmetalhead
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a build up of static electricity? From what I've read around here that can stop them working like that, particularly since harder songs involve alot more scuffing and the like.

Check all your connections, with my pad I encounter ghost steps or miss steps when one of my wires has snapped by getting stuck either ontop of my foam or in between my sensor pads and being crushed/bent.
Also check that you have sufficient springback, it might be a problem with your pads being stuck down while your foam decompresses.
But given that it stops working entirely, it sounds most likely to be static buildup.

What you could do is wire it up to a ps1/2 controller's trigger buttons and use it with a converter, bypassing the axis problem that many encounter, and giving you a pretty static resistant controller.
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a control box error. Make sure the wires between the chip and the plug are firmly attached, and make sure the pins on the plug aren't rusted, dirty, or skewed.

I can't really see what would cause static buildup with that design, so I don't think that's it. Maybe I'm wrong though.
cph05a
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using stepmania, you can wire the pad to any of the buttons on the controller. I usually use the triggers (if the controller has them) because they have long wires leading to them and there is less chance that the wires will cross and the soldering is easier.
Steinway
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cph05a wrote:
If you're using stepmania, you can wire the pad to any of the buttons on the controller. I usually use the triggers (if the controller has them) because they have long wires leading to them and there is less chance that the wires will cross and the soldering is easier.

Yea thats what I did, I still havn't been able to fix it =[
devout
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinway wrote:
cph05a wrote:

If it's static electricity, try running a wire from anything metal on the pad you can connect to to the ground prong on an electric outlet. (I take it you know how to do that without killing yourself.)

I'm tempted to think the problem is some combination of buttons is getting pushed that is causing the controller driver or some service to crash, and it takes a few seconds for the computer to restart it. is it a windows computer? If so, check your sevices list for anything that might be related to the control you're using, and set it's recovery option to "restart the computer", (write down any changes you make so you can undo them later!) then try playing and see if your computer restarts when the pad breaks. of course you'd still need to figure out what's breaking the pad in the first place....

Almost-finished non-Stealth homepad for sale, just add sensors! see here: http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8921579#8921579
Steinway
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devout wrote:
Steinway wrote:
cph05a wrote:

If it's static electricity, try running a wire from anything metal on the pad you can connect to to the ground prong on an electric outlet. (I take it you know how to do that without killing yourself.)

I'm tempted to think the problem is some combination of buttons is getting pushed that is causing the controller driver or some service to crash, and it takes a few seconds for the computer to restart it. is it a windows computer? If so, check your sevices list for anything that might be related to the control you're using, and set it's recovery option to "restart the computer", (write down any changes you make so you can undo them later!) then try playing and see if your computer restarts when the pad breaks. of course you'd still need to figure out what's breaking the pad in the first place....

Ok thanks, ill have to try this when I get a spare moment, it is running windows and it is quite a crappy computer so I'm tempted to think its a software problem. Fingers crossed.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: