Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Matrix Sensor help

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoPerson
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Matrix Sensor help Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been building my pad for a while now and after some reading, decided to use the 'matrix' style sensors. I have bought the 4" zinc mending plates and the mousepad and assembled the pieces quite well to make 16 sensors.

The problem lies within the wiring, I can't get the solder to stick on the zinc plates probably because of heat loss. For those who have made this sensor, how did you guys solder the wiring to the plates or if you didnt solder it, how did you wire them?

Thanks
View users profile Send private message
wrecktified
Basic Member
Basic Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my cheap 15 watt radio shack soldering iron simply not getting hot enough to make the solder stick to the mending brackets.

The solution I used as you can see here was to simply tape the wires to the mending bracket.
I used aluminum foil tape but I beleive electrical tape would work as well if not better. Seems ghetto, I know, but it has worked for me. I have only had to rebuild a few sensors in 2+ years of use.

If you are dead set on soldering you are going to need more heat, and you may also need to use some flux to clean the surface you are going to solder to. A butane torch or a gas range burner would probably do it, but be careful. I'm not responsible for you burning yourself or burning your house down.
NeoPerson
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using tape like you said before I posted this thread and experienced multiple double-triple steps, so much it is unplayable. If anything, I'll probably try again. Thanks for the quick response.

EDIT: Is the adhesive conductive on the aluminum tape you used?
wrecktified
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoPerson wrote:
EDIT: Is the adhesive conductive on the aluminum tape you used?

I honestly don't know, but I kind of doubt it.

That is the main reason I originally used the foil tape though. I thought it might conduct and therefore keep the connection better than a standard tape.
NeoPerson
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried using tape again and still I get a bunch of double-triple steps.
I soldered pretty well the controller so I am pretty sure that the problem lies on the wiring of the switches.
CT_Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get triple steps from bad wiring.
Be a bit more specific!

Do you get triple steps if you tap it once? If so, then it's not the wiring, it's the sensor itself. Try raising the height of the mouse pads a little bit, or lowering the height of the screws/nuts.

Do you get triple steps during holds? If you do, then it is the wiring I guess, although I doubt this is the case because you said it was unplayable.
NeoPerson
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the triple steps when I tap it once. But if I understand correctly what you are saying is that the triple steps are caused by accidental contact or too much sensitivity?
slvrshdw
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it sounds like you have too small of a gap between the plates.
The mousepad should give you enough space so the plates have to move (i'm guessing) about 1-2mm.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I'm saying.

Imagine this:
You tap the sensor. The metal shakes a bit and rapidly taps the screw/nuts a few times before stopping.

I wouldn't say it's oversensitive, just that the sensor isn't "smooth" enough. You can try moving the mouse pad closer to the screws/nuts or lowering the screws/nuts, or increasing the height of the mouse pad via cardboard from cereal boxes or whatever way you want.
Shuma Gorath
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there, Ive built a metal pad based on matrix sensors and it came pretty good. but instead of taping the wire to the mending brackets I just put the wire through a hole and bend it like this:

Because with the tape there is more possibility the wire doesnt stick to the bracket surface and then no contact occurs.

hope you find it useful ;D

yeah and put the mouse pad foam near the screw heads so there is more space between both brackets.
NeoPerson
Basic Member
Basic Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers, I've tried using the tape and increasing the height of the mousepads and also putting them as close as possible to the screws.

It seems to work much better than before although just to make sure, I'll probably do Shuma's wiring technique to assure good wiring. Thanks alot, I'll update you on the progress : )
Shuma Gorath
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, keep us informed with your progress. we'll be willing to help you as much as you need ;D

one thing I forgot to mention about my wiring method is that you should use the hole on the bracket that is in the middle or close to the middle. Never put the wire on the holes where the screw head make contact. That will wear the wire right away and then brake it.

also, with this method, the type of wire is important in order to make a good contact with the bracket. I used cat5 wire, but I think multi strand wire would be more adequate for the bending.
NeoPerson
Basic Member
Basic Member

12. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Nevermind, still double-triple steps.

Do the type of screws matter?
NeoPerson
Basic Member
Basic Member

13. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh guys, I still have the double tap problem :o Can anyone give me more info on making the matrix sensors so they dont double tap? Like the screw type and shape and pictures. I really want to get this done.
Shuma Gorath
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used pan headed philips screws. Use washers to level the screw heads to the correct height. If youre using a pc then set your padstick seconds=0.0005 in stepmania.ini

also:

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Bemani Controllers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: