Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Don't you hate it when...

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViceOfFire
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Don't you hate it when... Reply with quote

Don't you hate it when you're playing DDR and there's a guy behind you waiting to play... and when you jump off so he can play he turns out to be a speed-modding showoff playing 6-7 foot songs on 5x? Now I'm not a good player at all (a few 7-8 footers is about it), but I only play for fun and would want someone to tell me if it seemed as if I were showing off. This guy, on the other hand, wasn't anything special but was playing easy songs and showing off while doing it. They were songs he'd whored the poopy out of too, you could tell. I don't know why anyone would play a song on anything more than 2x unless they're learning it or testing themselves. This guy was just blatantly showing off E10.gif.

Oh and for his last song he tried pluto and failed straight away.

Gah excuse the rant, I just wanted to get that out. I see way too many people showing off on DDR around my local place (there's surprisingly a lot of asians who play on standard and seem to think they're great cos they're asian).

What about you guys? Share your "don't you hate it when" stories.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
That guy with the afro...
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate to rain on your thread, but this sounds a lot like...

http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98406
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although he probably had memorized the songs, 5x isn't the speed I would do if I had a song memorized.

5x is perfectly readable... even on shuffle. I've played songs on 5x shuffle up to 160 bpm. Granted I'll probably get a C, but it's funny to do.
View users profile Send private message
Haoie
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some people like to show off.

So good for them, if they can get any viewers.
Tonight
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ViceOfFire
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy with the afro: Sorry dude, should have looked harder before posting this.

Ninja N8: yeah I know what you mean about x5, the reason I could tell is because he was already moving into position before the arrows scrolled up (he kinda needed the time, not the skinniest fella).

Haoie: While on average I hate showoffs who do it just because they can (see: this guy), isn't being good a prerequisite for showing off? I mean, I've seen some guys who are much better than this guy and a lot more humble, and they draw my attention more than chubs over here.

Unrelated, I saw him again at the arcade today, playing with heavy mods again.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
That guy with the afro...
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay, I almost made this mistake when I started. Then I disconnected from the internet. E2.gif

Though if you've seen the showoffs I've seen, you would have gone mad. Actually dancing while getting their AAs on 6s and 7s (just barely, though). I understand where you're coming from.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViceOfFire wrote:
isn't being good a prerequisite for showing off?

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe the answer to your question is "not necessarily" as some people might try to show off because they think they are good -- and this is aside from the fact that the standard of good might not be well-established. I suppose "showing off" can be defined as flaunting one's performance just to attract attention and/or impress someone other than oneself, "Look at me! Look at me! Look what I can do! How awesome am I?" So, I would say it is possible for someone stuck on beginner to show off. I suppose it would be possible to start a topic about annoyances with Dance Dance Revolution other than the arcade, but this probably does belong in the topic linked above. Just be more careful next time, man thumb.gif

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what exactly does it mean to "show off"? Does that mean playing good at DDR at all? So playing a 6/7 footer on 5x is showing off, how is playing Fascination Maxx on Reverse at 1.5x not showing off? (SN extra stage anyone?) It seems to me that many people who hate people that "show off" are really just envious, unless someone can give me some standard definition of what showing off means.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DahrkDaiz wrote:
So playing a 6/7 footer on 5x is showing off, how is playing Fascination Maxx on Reverse at 1.5x not showing off? (SN extra stage anyone?) It seems to me that many people who hate people that "show off" are really just envious, unless someone can give me some standard definition of what showing off means.

The latter is not showing off if the person is not playing in a bragging or condescending manner. Likewise, the former is not necessarily showing off -- the particular situation the guy mentioned was showing off because that person was trying to look good using unnecesary means. As I suggested earlier, skill level is irrelevant -- showing off suggests one craves attention and/or approval from others, and is typically associated with pride and/or arrogance. I suppose the one-word synonym for showing off would be "flaunting".

I forgot to mention a story in my last post: a guy was playing Pump It Up in front of his girlfriend and a couple other women. He was playing on nightmare, I think with modifiers. He had his back turned to the screen part of the time. After he finished, he knelt down on the floor holding his chest. He admitted he tried to show off too much as he had played the game for four years, but that day was the first time in awhile he had tried it.

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I don't see how playing in a certain manner is considered showing off, but rather, what you say and how you act before/after you play the song is what constitutes showing off.

Example: Someone's trying Holic for the first time and fails it. You jump on the pad and play Holic as your first song and do considerably better, THAT'S showing off.

Example 2: Someone has a crowd of people and plays R3 Stealth, Mirror, but doesn't say a word before or after the song and doesn't react to any of the comments made, good or bad, this, to me, is not showing off.
ViceOfFire
Basic Member
Basic Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, when I said "isn't being good a prerequisite", I meant to say for successful showing off (people who know anything about DDR actually paying attention).

That being said, I think that while what is said before and after can definitely signal showing off, so can the demeanor while they play (the PIU example someone gave). And for me there is definitely a difference between a showoff and someone who puts on a good show, like a good freestyler.
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DahrkDaiz wrote:

Example: Someone's trying Holic for the first time and fails it. You jump on the pad and play Holic as your first song and do considerably better, THAT'S showing off.

I do that a lot, but I do it to be a douche.

In all seriousness, I have done this just to help out newer players with songs. For instance, I will say "would you like me to play that song as well so you can see how it goes? It looks like you were having trouble with this section". If they say yes, then I do it, if not or they get offended, I just shrug and say that its how they wanna play.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViceOfFire wrote:
there is definitely a difference between a showoff and someone who puts on a good show, like a good freestyler.

That is an excellent point -- perhaps, just what will allow us to explain to our friend DahrkDaiz what constitutes showing off. DahrkDaiz's first example is not necessarily showing off -- not so long as the second person does not act in a condescending, bragging, or flaunting manner. DahrkDaiz is correct in not considering the second example showing off. The intention of showing off is to make oneself look good in front of others for lack of better wording. If one intends to show off, that person will probably succeed. I would actually challenge (or at least question) ViceOfFire's claim that being good is a prerequisite of showing off successfully. One is successful in showing off if that person tries to do so as far as success in showing off goes (really, how much success can one achieve in showing off?). Looking good and showing off successfully are not necessarily the same thing, you know, the former is just usually the goal of the latter. Yes, it is possible to show off without intending to do so if one grows careless in presentation. I suppose showing off is typically associated with a desire for and/or an effort to gain attention and/or recognition for one's talents, skills, abilities, or achievements. To answer your question (or rather your remark), DahrkDaiz, playing in a certain manner is showing off if it is obvious the player is vying for attention. If it is not obvious or clear at all, then it is showing off only if that person intended to show off. Of course, did anyone ever declare showing off a bad thing necessarily (at least in small amounts)? The previous sentence is a question, not a point.

www.stayonsync.com/forum
tats
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you're saying now pleasedon'thurtme. I often notice that those who show off have other attributes about their behavior (they look back to make sur ethey're being watched before a song), their words (they scream if they do bad, they make some show of attention (hitting the machine) or song choice (they hover over a song to get crowd reaction before choosing it). There are other actions, sure, but I wanted to clarify because where I play, I AA a lot of songs and take pictures to keep score tracking and a few people claim that I show boat when I play this way whether there are people watching or not.
Nathan.
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you hate it when people make threads like this
tats
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could you do that to the food there?? frown.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here about 4 years, I've seen too many of these threads.

Yeah, I get it all the time about the speed mod thing.

Then I play can't stop falling in love speed mix with no speed mods.

NOW WHAT?

laugh.gif
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: